Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Schlieren posted:

003r or 002 is ridiculously not entry level, however, even accounting for the ability to get rid of the mixing board... sort of (the eq on the board is great as is the ability to track while monitoring with zero latency, an ability I'm not sure exists on any of those options).

I feel you on that, kinda.

For recording drums, I honestly wouldn't use anything else. I'm sure there's something else out there, but all of my experiences with both the 003 and 002 have been nothing short of fantastic. I *think* the 003 has direct monitoring, but I'm not sure. They even come in a console version (as opposed to the rack) which has 8 faders and a bunch of cool features for interfacing with PT. I think you said it earlier, but what you're wanting to do in my opinion goes far beyond "entry level".
The 003 is basically the standard for home studios that do semi-serious to serious recording. It's a good investment I believe.

-I consider entry level to be portable interfaces, so it might just be a difference of opinion on what makes something entry level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

cat doter posted:

So I bought the saffire usb 6 for $299AUS, let's hope it isn't complete balls. I'll write something up once it arrives.

My friend's looking at getting one of these so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when it rocks up.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

invision posted:

I feel you on that, kinda.

For recording drums, I honestly wouldn't use anything else. I'm sure there's something else out there, but all of my experiences with both the 003 and 002 have been nothing short of fantastic. I *think* the 003 has direct monitoring, but I'm not sure. They even come in a console version (as opposed to the rack) which has 8 faders and a bunch of cool features for interfacing with PT. I think you said it earlier, but what you're wanting to do in my opinion goes far beyond "entry level".
The 003 is basically the standard for home studios that do semi-serious to serious recording. It's a good investment I believe.

-I consider entry level to be portable interfaces, so it might just be a difference of opinion on what makes something entry level.

Good point well-taken. I'm definitely happy with the results I've gotten which have been better than one could possibly expect, and that has something to do with meticulous, painstaking... loving mind-numbing attention to detail in other arenas... but it's certainly true that the best way to get great, consistent results is with clean, high-quality source tracks, and with that captured, the fancy manipulations to the waveforms largely become unnecessary.

It's just hard to justify spending nearly as much or more on an upgrade to one part of the signal chain as I've ever spent or will probably spend on the rest of it.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
either leave it or love it

The entry level interface I've been using for the last ~5 years is the Terratec Phase 24 FW. No longer in production, I think the X24 has replaced it. Terratec seem to have decided to quit (semi)pro audio now though as the entire "producer" range has disappeared from the website, except for the X24.

It is small and portable, plus the aluminium case is nice and hardy, has 2 in 2 out plus digital and a midi in/out so it is reasonably versatile and is bus-powered on firewire. Can probably pick it up pretty cheap secondhand.

Sound quality is decent and it manages some nice low latencies but it seems to have a bit of noise on the inputs and outputs these days. Also the firewire sockets are sort of loose and cursed breakout cable has weedy noodle wires.

Drivers haven't been updated since about the time Vista came out, and it shows in music players like WMP and winamp, odd things like pressing pause causing THE END OF ALL SOUND until you cycle the power. Bit better in Win 7 now.

What I'm looking for now is something that will be extremely reliable and suitable for taking live, so if anyone has any experience of which are good for this I'd love to know! The Konnekt 6 looks nice but no midi is troublesome.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

VICTORY RUB FOR AMERICA

Does anyone have any experience with the new TC Electronic Impact Twin? My shop are brand new TC dealers and I've got some on order but I would like to hear from some people who have used them.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I really like my Alesis IO/26, except the part where it mysteriously shits the bed occasionally. Just stops working. Never in the middle of a project. Just, you know, start up the computer, go to record, and hey look, the Alesis IO isn't working.

I'll unplug the firewire cable, replug it, and it's back. I don't know if it's a lovely firewire card, a driver, the software, or windows.

I bought it to use it for more than 2 inputs, but I'm discovering now that I rarely use more than 2 at a time, now that I have electric drums. Maybe I'll try to M-Audio firewire instead.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Gramps posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the new TC Electronic Impact Twin? My shop are brand new TC dealers and I've got some on order but I would like to hear from some people who have used them.

they're brand new, i doubt you'll find anyone here that has one yet as they've just started to ship.

I'm also lolling at the obvious piracy discussion being avoided on page 1

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I said "God damn!" God damn... God damn.

Can anyone tell me about the MOTU 828 MkI? Some guy is selling one for $200, which seems like a great deal, but I can't really find much information about the interface, most of what's out there seems to be on the MkII and MkIII. From what I've gathered MOTU stuff is pretty good, but if anyone has any more info I'd love to hear it.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

Champion or chore, Either/Or...

invision posted:

I realize it's not in production anymore, but if you can ebay one, it's a solid beginner interface.

M-AUDIO FIREWIRE 410
It is going for about $150.00 USD on ebay right now.

This looks promising. How are the preamps compared to the Fast Track Pro?

I'm dissatisfied with the Fast Track Pro, but I want something I can use with my Win7 64-bit laptop via FW or USB within Cubase 5. I just use mics for vocals and acoustic guitar and usually everything else MIDI -- so a whole bunch of inputs aren't important.

Edit: It's got a lot of bad reviews. Sigh, finding a decent low input thing with just good preamps is so difficult.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2010 around 20:15

invision
Mar 2, 2009

No. 9 posted:

This looks promising. How are the preamps compared to the Fast Track Pro?

I'm dissatisfied with the Fast Track Pro, but I want something I can use with my Win7 64-bit laptop via FW or USB within Cubase 5. I just use mics for vocals and acoustic guitar and usually everything else MIDI -- so a whole bunch of inputs aren't important.

Edit: It's got a lot of bad reviews. Sigh, finding a decent low input thing with just good preamps is so difficult.

I havn't seen any bad reviews

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

My Firestudio Mobile is really awesome and has yet to give me any trouble on my MBP running Ableton Live. Runs excellent on bus power alone also.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

I can report that the Lexicon Lambda is working and stable on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Dell Laptop.
It locks hard if you try to change the latency from the ASIO driver panel in Reaper. Otherwise it works stably at 36ms.
AmpliTube3 and ATFender both work reliably (and so much fun) at 18.7ms but Reaper so far does not like that setting. I'm working on it.

LexiconPro released new Windows XP/Vista/7 drivers on 3/24 but they didn't specify if they work on a 64-bit OS. Well, so far I'm doing ok.

There are some other interfaces out there that I am interested in, but I do have to say that Lamba is cheap, sounds great so far, and has TRS 1/4" inserts if I need to chain in some outboard gear.

I recorded this test in Reaper64 with EZ Drummer and AmpliTube3/Fender and I hope you don't hate it. BTW if the mix is terrible it is because my monitors (headphones) are very misleading.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

edited.

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2010 around 04:32

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

I've been a big fan of my Echo AudioFire 4 - Solid build quality, pretty respectable preamps, good drivers, enough I/O for me, plus it's pretty looking. And also not very expensive.

Edit: God damnit, I should probably give some more info but I'm a bit too tired right now. You can find one for $250-300, all the specs you could want are here.

penneydude fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2010 around 06:37

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

My new shiny PreSonus Firestudio Mobile skips when I'm running an Ableton session, and I'm in a web browser window elsewhere and I load a new site or follow a link or do ANYTHING.

God. I hate audio interfaces.

thegloaming
Apr 24, 2007

Clan in da front,
Let your feet stomp

I've been using the Alesis Multimix 4 USB for basic recordings. $78.22 on Amazon.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

edit: Nevermind, figured it out on my own.

kidfresca fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2010 around 04:19

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I can report that the Lexicon Lambda is working and stable on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Dell Laptop.
It locks hard if you try to change the latency from the ASIO driver panel in Reaper. Otherwise it works stably at 36ms.
AmpliTube3 and ATFender both work reliably (and so much fun) at 18.7ms but Reaper so far does not like that setting. I'm working on it.

LexiconPro released new Windows XP/Vista/7 drivers on 3/24 but they didn't specify if they work on a 64-bit OS. Well, so far I'm doing ok.

There are some other interfaces out there that I am interested in, but I do have to say that Lamba is cheap, sounds great so far, and has TRS 1/4" inserts if I need to chain in some outboard gear.

I recorded this test in Reaper64 with EZ Drummer and AmpliTube3/Fender and I hope you don't hate it. BTW if the mix is terrible it is because my monitors (headphones) are very misleading.

This is loving amazing.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Just a quick thought on the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0: For someone who is new enough to recording to have never dealt with real monitoring before, the 0404 can be a bit frustrating. As long as the 0404 was connected to my computer, I could not get any sort of playback through any of the options I had available to me, not even switching my default playback device to my computer speakers. I ended up working around it by just unplugging the the 0404 from the computer and routing the signal through the headphone jack to an nPort so I had control over my playback again, and since the 0404 preamps are so clean, it worked out pretty well. I'm sure I'll eventually figure out the playback and monitoring, but it was a bit frustrating for an hour or so.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Twiin posted:

My new shiny PreSonus Firestudio Mobile skips when I'm running an Ableton session, and I'm in a web browser window elsewhere and I load a new site or follow a link or do ANYTHING.

God. I hate audio interfaces.

I really hate to say this having been using PCs for 16+ years, but my new MBP has a gnarlly ableton set loaded right now (50+ tracks, at least half are soft synths and the rest audio w/ plugins) playing in the background as I browse the forums, and it hasn't hiccuped once. And thats with a virtual windows XP machine running on vmware in the background.

...using the built in audio interface. Of course my TC runs like a dream too....

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk

RivensBitch posted:

I really hate to say this having been using PCs for 16+ years, but my new MBP has a gnarlly ableton set loaded right now (50+ tracks, at least half are soft synths and the rest audio w/ plugins) playing in the background as I browse the forums, and it hasn't hiccuped once. And thats with a virtual windows XP machine running on vmware in the background.

...using the built in audio interface. Of course my TC runs like a dream too....

On the built-in audio? Is that one of the new i-series processor ones? A PC audio laptop seems considerably less appealing hearing that.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

This is a standard 15" unibody MBP that my wife bought for me from the apple store back in November. Running Ableton Suite 8.1.1, using only Ableton instruments (relying a lot on Operator, Sampler, Analog, Electric, and drum racks) with Ableton effects (mostly compressors EQs and delays). I mention this because I think Ableton has been really spot on in how they keep their devices very efficient and with a small footprint.

But I regularly don't use an audio interface if I'm just mixing or making adjustments with the mouse. The audio interfaces I have used with my MBP (mbox 1, TC Konnekt, my Virus Snow) all work WAY better on the MBP than they ever did on my $700 Toshiba or even my Quad Core homebuilt desktop PC, which admittedly runs well, just not as well as the dual core MBP.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I really think it's important to match the interface you're choosing to a computer that's not going to give you any problems. Based on my own personal experiences, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the problems people have with their interfaces are actually the fault of the computer they're trying to use rather than the interface itself.

edit: Also don't just assume that a firewire interface with a TI chipset is the only thing you need to make your PC stable. My Toshiba had a VIA chipset, I used a PC/MCIA card with a firewire chipset and the exact same issues still occurred regardless of which FW interface I used. I was told specifically by digidesign tech support that they didn't support the CPU in the Toshiba.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at Apr 22, 2010 around 16:30

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

RivensBitch posted:

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I really think it's important to match the interface you're choosing to a computer that's not going to give you any problems. Based on my own personal experiences, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the problems people have with their interfaces are actually the fault of the computer they're trying to use rather than the interface itself.

edit: Also don't just assume that a firewire interface with a TI chipset is the only thing you need to make your PC stable. My Toshiba had a VIA chipset, I used a PC/MCIA card with a firewire chipset and the exact same issues still occurred regardless of which FW interface I used. I was told specifically by digidesign tech support that they didn't support the CPU in the Toshiba.
Echoing this. I love my Mac Pro, but my Macbook Pro (from late 06, the second version of the MBP I believe) has some serious issues with firewire audio interfaces (even Macs are not immune) even after trying multiple interfaces, switching out RAM, and using a ExpressCard with a TI firewire interface. I went through a bunch of tech support with MOTU but ended up just buying a Mac Pro and poof, no more problems. Now I just need to sell my Macbook Pro and buy another one for live purposes.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

This is all running on a quad-core homebuilt PC with 8GB of RAM -- and the MOTU worked fine on my laptop, but not on this desktop or the dual-core desktop that came before it, regardless of how many TI chipset interfaces I tried.

Ugh.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Twiin, give DPC Latency Checker a try, it is a free tool that can help you track down badly behaved drivers in your system, which firewire can be especially sensitive to (I was getting dropouts on my Fireface that ended up being because of the lovely generic wireless network card I was using).

Though the real answer is that you shouldn't be browsing forums when you are working on music. Your music deserves all the attention you can give it, you don't need distractions. Seriously, don't even have a browser open unless you need to download something.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

^^ Agree with the sentiment, but browsing the web and other background tasks are a good way to measure how stable the system is. If you rely on your laptop for use on stage, it's really vital to overcompensate.

My desktop is a quad core 2.6ghz with an intel DP35DP motherboard. My best success with desktops has always been to go with intel processor + intel motherboard, and to always research the chipsets on the board and go with something that other homebuilt DAW people have already tried and approved (the DP35DP had a ton of positive reviews on several audio forums when I bought it).

It functions great, but I'm still surprised how much better the MBP runs. I think it's that I'm still running XP PRO on the desktop, and the MBP is running leopard.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006
Teenage Mutant Ninja Cripple

Finally got the saffire USB 6. The loving courier that was supposed to deliver it the first time around loving STOLE IT. They sent out a new one though, obviously.

So anyway, had a quick play around with it. Driver install was painless, interface is simple, sound playback quality is excellent. Haven't had a chance to record anything yet, but that shall come later.

Oh and what the poo poo, ONLY 48khz SAMPLE RATE ARGH

Thought it was supposed to be 96k. Oh well.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

h_double posted:

Twiin, give DPC Latency Checker a try, it is a free tool that can help you track down badly behaved drivers in your system, which firewire can be especially sensitive to (I was getting dropouts on my Fireface that ended up being because of the lovely generic wireless network card I was using).

Thanks for the tip -- but everything showed as great in it even when there were dropouts in Ableton.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

RivensBitch posted:

It functions great, but I'm still surprised how much better the MBP runs. I think it's that I'm still running XP PRO on the desktop, and the MBP is running leopard.
Bingo. Try Windows 7 on your desktop. I'm having good results using Live 8 with 64bit Win7, though nothing I'm doing is as hairy as you're describing. Alternatively, if you find that OSX is working well for your computing habits, do a hackintosh install of it on your desktop.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yeah TC hasn't released 64bit powercore drivers yet so I'm not going to switch over. That and really, if it ain't broke.... I honestly haven't even touched my desktop for any serious music production since I got the MBP. Has anyone actually gone the hackintosh route and gotten their audio interfaces to work?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

RivensBitch posted:

Yeah TC hasn't released 64bit powercore drivers yet so I'm not going to switch over. That and really, if it ain't broke.... I honestly haven't even touched my desktop for any serious music production since I got the MBP. Has anyone actually gone the hackintosh route and gotten their audio interfaces to work?

I've heard reports of Logic working quite well with Hackintoshes, but I've never read any thread on the subject or a guide or anything like that.

gz
Jul 31, 2004
the 'g' stands for goon!

I'm shopping for a recording setup for my laptop. This will be my first time using anything other than the built in mic. I'm trying to find an audio interface in the $200~ range. I would really prefer to have the option of learning Protools as well, so I was looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Its in my price range, but I've read some negative things about it.

Can anyone with experience with the Fast Track Pro clarify how bad it really is? Can I do better for under $200 and possibly have the option to use Protools?

The biggest concern I've read about is having to crank the gain all the way up to get things loud enough, which leads to a hiss. This could be a problem for me, because I'd like something i can use for spoken word work, in addition to recording singing, and electric guitar in the future.

Now, from what I've read, some of the problems reported have been caused by driver issues, and this Amazon review just leads to more confusion as to whether this is a good or bad investment:

quote:

This thing CAN sound AMAZING-- but it probably won't, unless you are very careful. Make sure you have the latest drivers. Don't even BOTHER with the MME ("wave") or WDM drivers; it's ASIO or nothing, because M-Audio's MME/WDM drivers are so bad, I was completely convinced this thing had both a noise gate and a lousy ADC, when it turned out to be driver issues.

The pre-amp doesn't have as much gain as you might hope, but if you've got it cranked and you can barely get anything out of an SM-57, something is WRONG with your install. Try using ASIO. I had absolutely horrible results with Adobe Audition 1.0, but the 2.0 demo, using ASIO, a few reboots, and some tweaking, finally sounds perfect.

That said, the headphone output on this thing is awesome. Oh, rock on.

I hope I can get this thing working properly, because the only real competition is about three times the price.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

gz posted:

Can anyone with experience with the Fast Track Pro clarify how bad it really is? Can I do better for under $200 and possibly have the option to use Protools?

I just returned one to Amazon the other day because of the gain problem. It's also a little annoying in terms of how you change its settings (in software). That said, there wasn't much line noise even at max gain, which was a surprise, but I had trouble getting ANY volume out of my dynamic mic, and it was very quiet even at max gain. I called tech support for M-Audio, and they told me that this is a known issue, and to get a condenser microphone.

I wouldn't really recommend it, but the more I read, the more impossible it seems to be to get any consensus on a best choice.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures

I just bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, my first audio interface. I noticed that with Reaper set to use the ASIO driver, I can't seem to find any way to use the Saffire for input, but have all audio output from the computer go through my computer's speakers (e.g. the ones plugged into the 1/8" output on my motherboard, not the Saffire).

Is this impossible? I don't own a pair of monitors that I can plug into the Saffire. Might it work to plug the 1/8" cable for my computer speakers into a 1/4" adapter, then into one of the 1/4" Saffire outputs?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

zincaito posted:

I just bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, my first audio interface. I noticed that with Reaper set to use the ASIO driver, I can't seem to find any way to use the Saffire for input, but have all audio output from the computer go through my computer's speakers (e.g. the ones plugged into the 1/8" output on my motherboard, not the Saffire).

Is this impossible? I don't own a pair of monitors that I can plug into the Saffire. Might it work to plug the 1/8" cable for my computer speakers into a 1/4" adapter, then into one of the 1/4" Saffire outputs?

ASIO does not support multiple devices simultaneously, I do not think there's a way around this (on PC).

You can probably use the line outs on your Saffire to drive your computer speakers, the only thing is the 1/4" outputs are monophonic, so you will want to get a 3.5mm stereo splitter, plug your speakers into one end, and then connect a pair of the Saffire's line outs to the other end.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures

h_double posted:

ASIO does not support multiple devices simultaneously, I do not think there's a way around this (on PC).

You can probably use the line outs on your Saffire to drive your computer speakers, the only thing is the 1/4" outputs are monophonic, so you will want to get a 3.5mm stereo splitter, plug your speakers into one end, and then connect a pair of the Saffire's line outs to the other end.

I didn't know stereo splitters existed. I'll swing by Radio Shack and see what I can find. Thanks dude.

Now I just have to figure out how to physically arrange guitar, bass, and synth in this room in some reasonable way, which is proving pretty challenging in itself.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk

They used to say you should disable the onboard sound altogether to prevent device conflicts but I don't know if that is still the case. (on PC)

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

zincaito posted:

I didn't know stereo splitters existed. I'll swing by Radio Shack and see what I can find. Thanks dude.

Now I just have to figure out how to physically arrange guitar, bass, and synth in this room in some reasonable way, which is proving pretty challenging in itself.

Once you get it going, I'd be grateful if you'd tell us a little bit about what you like and don't like about the device after using it for a while.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures

Will do when I can, but it may not be for a few weeks as I'm just doing it in my very limited spare time and I'm also learning Reaper from scratch too.

Small note: in the OP the Saffire is listed as Firewire instead of USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

zincaito posted:

Small note: in the OP the Saffire is listed as Firewire instead of USB.

There's a Firewire version too.

«25 »