Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
For anyone that's played Tiberium sun/firestorm expansion... Was there a mission where you were able to capture an old gdi base (tiberium dawn) and produce tiberium dawn type units out of it?

I couldve sworn one mission had this but I might be wrong.

I wonder if I can still buy the expansion pack for generals...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
C&C4 is leaving me with a great first impression. Installed, go to play, and... nothing. No error message, no black screen, nothing happens at all. Restarted, nothing. Reinstalled, nothing.

gently caress yeah.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Senor P. posted:

For anyone that's played Tiberium sun/firestorm expansion... Was there a mission where you were able to capture an old gdi base (tiberium dawn) and produce tiberium dawn type units out of it?

I couldve sworn one mission had this but I might be wrong.

I wonder if I can still buy the expansion pack for generals...

In the last GDI mission in TS there was an old GDI base with some Mammoth Tanks lying around for you to use, but you couldn't build any old units.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I never played any of the CnC games until Tiberium Wars. Before then, my RTS experience has been Age of Empires 1 and 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 (but no Frozen Throne), and Dawn of War 1.

When I played Tiberium Wars, I thought it was cool poo poo, and enjoyed the single player campaign (internet connection was too poo poo for multiplayer though). This past January, I got Red Alert 3, and I liked it as well.

Haven't heard anything about CnC4 except some mentions that it exists, and maybe some screenshots on some various sites. I was considering getting it, but now I'm not too sure. :ohdear:

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
Why did they have to totally ruin CnC4? :( CnC3 was a lot of fun pre-1.05 but this looks like complete and utter poo poo.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

BigJoe posted:

What sucks is that the C&C development team was told that they were going to get laid off after the game was released. So as of right now, those guys are packing it up and we will probably see no expansion and little to no support for C&C 4.
That sounds like a near-deliberate way to sink the IP to me.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress man, I just remembered this was out, ran to steam, bought it. Then I checked a review really quick. No base building? DoWesque gameplay!? I just loving threw away 50 bucks and how the gently caress could they do this? This is like the one franchise I love enough to not even check a review before I buy it. gently caress.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Umph posted:

gently caress man, I just remembered this was out, ran to steam, bought it. Then I checked a review really quick. No base building? DoWesque gameplay!? I just loving threw away 50 bucks and how the gently caress could they do this? This is like the one franchise I love enough to not even check a review before I buy it. gently caress.

Yeah, I basically did the same thing and I'm kicking myself for it. I'll probably play through once as best I can for the story, but I'm definitely disappointed.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Sounds like I should've posted this thread a day or two ago. :(

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Well there's a "C&C4.exe" running in Task Manager but still nothing is happening. At all. This is seriously pissing me off, I'd like to think I didn't just throw $50 away.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress that im getting a refund. I didnt download it, steam is coughing up my money this time.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Umph posted:

gently caress that im getting a refund. I didnt download it, steam is coughing up my money this time.

You can only get a Steam refund if the game's not already out.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

i know i'm probably alone on this but i really wish there was a sequel to renegade, or at least a renegade-like shooter set in red alert 2. like red dawn but with tesla coils and prism tanks.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I found this gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6n14ePwr1g

Doesn't look that bad to me? I guess I'll judge it on it's merits later tonight...

Here's multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwcpcwCkFVQ

Did I miss anything? Did I miss anything? Did I miss anything?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 16, 2010

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Kotaku reported Mariam Sughayer, EA spokesperson, saying "EA has suspended work on Tiberium effective immediately. The game was not on track to meet the high quality standards set by the team and by the EA Games Label.

The most hilarious statement ever when you look at the quality of the leaked cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGNaP84kl4

Top notch decision making there, guys.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 16, 2010

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The most hilarious statement ever when you look at the quality of this leaked cutscene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGNaP84kl4

Top notch decision making there, guys.

That dialogue is terrible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

That dialogue is terrible.

Hooah sir. Hooah. Hooah sir. Oscar mike. Hooah. Hooah sir. Oscar Hooah. Hooscar. Hooscarmikesir.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
You're right, it really isn't in keeping with the thespian performances in C&C games.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Der Luftwaffle posted:

You're right, it really isn't in keeping with the thespian performances in C&C games.

Point taken. Haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88az56Eclk

"But first things first...let's drink another beer!"

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Did the first few missions up to where you choose your allegiance in 4, and so far I like it. It sucks a lot of people are going to hate on it just because of what it is and the controversy behind the scenes, but the cut-scenes and all are classic CNC.

Teen Cuisine
Oct 19, 2008

Zu Befehl! Jawohl mein Herr! Wir sind deutsche Roboter.
My C&C4 unlocked earlier today, I played 2 hours, and now the release date for EU has been pushed back to Friday and I can't start it via Steam anymore. Assholes. At least it still works when started from the Win7 Games browser.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
I actually really liked WIC style multiplayer, if this is that with C&C units, I'd be happy. Of course I'm terrible at the "traditional" RTS model and much prefer the real-time tactics thing.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll give it two weeks before the "pirates" solve all of these issues that only the paying customers have to deal with.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

grandpas new thong posted:

i know i'm probably alone on this but i really wish there was a sequel to renegade, or at least a renegade-like shooter set in red alert 2. like red dawn but with tesla coils and prism tanks.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who has played Renegade has wanted this from the beginning. A Renegade game set in Red Alert 2 would have owned some serious bones.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Marund posted:

You can only get a Steam refund if the game's not already out.

He should try it anyway. Doesn't hurt.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

BigJoe posted:

I'm pretty sure that everyone who has played Renegade has wanted this from the beginning. A Renegade game set in Red Alert 2 would have owned some serious bones.

That and stealing a motherfucking flying saucer :cool:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Amazing OP, but I had to laugh at this:

Tecman posted:

Think of it as a GDI versus Nod map, complete with a functional base for each side, Tiberium harvesting (so there's the economy and protect the harvester aspect), and a bunch of gays running around on both teams trying to spawn the best poo poo available with the harvested tiberium.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Hasn't the multiplayer in this series been consistently, reliably worthless?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Well at least I'm not the only one with this problem, according to the C&C forums. I talked with support and the person I talked to suggested that Win7 64-bit isn't supported, only 32-bit. What the hell.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Pretty much, even when it did work, it worked better just to hamachi it up. For example the red alert 2 online multiplayer only allowed for 4 players total, but the lan allowed for 8.

Red Alert 2 is probably my favourite rts ever, it feels so awesome getting a group of 12 fully promoted Apocalypse tanks and gloriously rolling into the enemy base with Hell March playing in the background.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kenshirou posted:

Did the first few missions up to where you choose your allegiance in 4, and so far I like it. It sucks a lot of people are going to hate on it just because of what it is and the controversy behind the scenes, but the cut-scenes and all are classic CNC.

Wait, are all the scenes like that leaked one linked on this page? Some lovely, poorly modelled CGI for the whole thing?

Inluding a lovely CGI kane?

I was only going to put up with the lovely gameplay for the cutscenes, but if they're gone too gently caress that noise.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Kin posted:

Wait, are all the scenes like that leaked one linked on this page? Some lovely, poorly modelled CGI for the whole thing?

Inluding a lovely CGI kane?

I was only going to put up with the lovely gameplay for the cutscenes, but if they're gone too gently caress that noise.

Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGNaP84kl4
Because that's not C&C4, it's from Tiberium.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Marund posted:

Well at least I'm not the only one with this problem, according to the C&C forums. I talked with support and the person I talked to suggested that Win7 64-bit isn't supported, only 32-bit. What the hell.

What the gently caress :eng99:

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Yes

It killed BFME2 for me, because while I loved the game, I eventually got completely and totally sick of sitting around in a custom lobby with a friend waiting for people to join. The clan scene was (and is) totally retarded for it as well, they'd never want to play if you had a good record, and only ever wanted to play on the flatest, blandest, most terrible maps.

Oh, and it could not handle larger games at all. In theory it supported 8 player matches. In practice, even 2v2s would lag with tons of units.

Still played hundreds of games, still love it :(

Speaking of, what sort of multiplayer matchmaking does this game have? Anyone know?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Welp, I came in ready to fanboy over how much I love the tiberium games only to be brought down by all the negative revews of the new one.

That linked review didn't help considering what it said about the story.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mug posted:

Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGNaP84kl4
Because that's not C&C4, it's from Tiberium.

Ah, having literally heard nothing about the game i was under the assumption that Tiberium was maybe a temporary subtitle for the game.

What was/is tiberium anyway? Some kind of 3rd person shooter dealio that was to bridge the gap between 3 and 4?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
FPS set between 3 and 4. Think it was at early alpha level before it was cancelled.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

LegoPirateNinja posted:

renegade's multiplayer was goddamned amazing. the rest of the games, not so much.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Went to purchase 4 from Steam (since I bet EA didn't let them pre-order), and my card got declined :wtf:. I go to my card's website and see the charge sitting there pending :wtf:.

How long does Steam support take to get back to you? This is my first issue with purchasing a game on Steam, and I'm a bit anxious to start it since I'm a big fan of the series. I hate EA though, so this and Mass Effect 3 are probably going to be my last games from them.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Don't buy 4, please god don't play 4. I was in the beta :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Don't buy 4, please god don't play 4. I was in the beta :smith:

Need more reasons than that. It's horrible because X and Y works, it's horrible because X and Y isn't the way C&C3/RA3 did it means nothing to me, I didn't like those games, and I like the sound of the changes.

• Locked thread