Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
The Room is the worst movie ever. Nothing else can possibly be this repulsively stupid or nonsensical. Written, directed, starring, and produced by Tommy Wiseau, you wonder whether he actually got real people to participate in this or just crapped all over the film and somehow made images resembling people and places.

I don't remember any of the names besides the main character, but I don't think it matters anyways. The main character, Johnny, is a programmer or banker or something. It's never made very clear. Wiseau has this bizarre pseudo Eastern-European accent, and can't emote to save his life. So everything Johnny says is hilariously flat and indistinguishable.

Johnny is living with his girlfriend. They have the most disgusting and unromantic sex together within the first five minutes of the film. In case you somehow miss this scene, they reuse the footage from it for a later sex scene. So it turns out Girlfriend doesn't really love Johnny. She only stays with him for the money because, as her mom loves to nonchalantly point out through out the film, Girlfriend can't support herself. Why? They never say. Does anything need reason in this film? Girlfriend decides that cheating on Johnny with his best friend is the best thing to do, and they in-turn have boring sex together throughout the film. This is the only storyline that is not abruptly dropped in the film.

On the side, there are tons of subplots that are completely dropped either in the next scene or sometimes in the same scene. Girlfriend's mom mentions in passing in one scene that she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and neither seem to care about it at all. This is never brought up in the film again, as both of them are too concerned about hiding the boring sex Girlfriend is having. In another scene their retarded adopted son is held at gunpoint by a drug dealer for not paying for drugs he's bought. Everyone Johnny knows shows up for this scene and berates Retard for buying drugs after Johnny saves him. Girlfriend's mom even says she's calling the cops on him. In the next scene everyone is happy with each other again, and no one ever brings up the drug incident again. Later in the movie Retard tells Johnny about his desire to have sex with Girlfriend. Not only is Johnny fine with this, he encourages it, saying, "The world would be a much better place if we all just loved each other more." What. The. gently caress. Is this why everyone has sex in the film? Is Wiseau trying to get some idiotic moral across? There are tons more dropped subplots, but for the sake of my blood pressure I don't want to remember them anymore.

The actors in The Room are all epically incompetent. Girlfriend is easily the worst, but she has the most lines out of anyone in the film. Writer/Director Tommy Wiseau plays Johnny and is the best actor for all of the wrong reasons. Like I mentioned earlier in my review, Wiseau has this unique accent that makes everything he says unintentionally funny. Combine that with terrible timing and his deadpan expression throughout the film and you'll be rolling on the floor every time Johnny opens his mouth. The actor for one of Johnny's friends is replaced halfway through the film without anyone noticing, so it's incredibly jarring when he shows up and everyone is normal. The dialog is also obviously dubbed in most scenes and is different from what they shot, so you can tell they knew that they had a stinker on their hands.

The production value of The Room is god awful. Most shots are blurry and out of focus; the film is dirty and warped; the colors are muted and faint; and the sound mix is muddy and uneven. Could they not afford a cinematographer? Napoleon Dynamite had a budget of $400,00 and has pretty good production values. The Room had $7 million and is poo poo. Is it because they spent so much money on a rooftop set that's obviously a green screen? Do random pillars, framed spoons, and spiral staircases really cost that much?

In closing, The Room is the biggest mistake in cinematic history. Nothing can prepare you for experiencing this film. Once you enter The Room, it does not let you escape. You are trapped in its walls of poo poo. Forever.

1/5

Mr.Smiley4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
This is a strange film. Having gotten a cult following since its release, director/star/producer Wiseau now claims the movie is intentionally (or "ironically", if you prefer) poo poo, while everyone else involved says Wiseau was deadly serious during filming.

In any case, Wiseau's ridiculous accent and delivery, the nonsensical plot, the terrible sex scenes (of which there are, what, four in the first 25 minutes?) and hilariously incompetent cast make The Room a great movie to watch for having fun with your friends (preferably after a few drinks). Judged objectively it's probably one of the worst movies in history, but I had a great time watching it and laughed very, very hard at several points.

4/5

ps: If you can't quite stomach the movie on its own, there's an excellent Rifftrax available.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If you try to watch this movie alone, you will probably develop severe mental and emotional difficulties that you will carry for the rest of your life.

If you watch this with friends, especially while under the influence of your favorite intoxicants, you will have the best time of your life.

1/5 alone
5/5 with friends.

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
This is undoubtedly the worst movie I've ever seen. Everything about it is terrible and it has absolutely no redeeming qualities at all.

It is also very sincere, which makes it even worse. You can tell that the person that wrote this trainwreck (who, by the way, is also the same guy who directed, produced and played the main character) was desperately trying to convey *something very very deep* to the audience. But instead of feeling empathy, I felt a weird mix of bewilderment and embarrassment. The fact that this thing was not only conceived and executed, but also saw the light of day, was so incomprehensible to my confused mind that I even dreamt about the movie the night after I saw it. It is *that* impressive.

I also laughed the entire time, which is why I couldn't recommend "The Room" enough. Please watch it, preferably with a group of friends, I promise you've never seen anything like it or will again.

0.5/5

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
I'll echo comments about how this is one of the funnest bad movies to watch, ever, but I can't bring myself to rate it any higher because of this.

It is just bizarre how awful this movie is. You almost have to believe Tommy Wiseau when he says the whole thing was supposed to be bad, but it all seems so sincere. Somebody thought they were making a good movie here. Most of the (unintentional) humor results in the juxtaposition of how bad the movie is with how good it wants to be and thinks it is. Producer/writer/actor/director/financier Tommy Wiseau is comically un-self-aware. I never cared for the cartoons, but there is something hilarious about Mr.Magoo when he becomes a real person and directs a movie.

1/5