Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Indeed. While I'm a big fan of Lucifer, The Unwritten is shaping up to be the next big thing at Vertigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Well Air isn't the next big thing, as it was just canceled apparently.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

BetterTasteThnU posted:

Well Air isn't the next big thing, as it was just canceled apparently.

Seriously? I hadn't picked it up yet, but I'd heard nothing but good things.

ThusZarathustra
Mar 28, 2009

We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are.

bairfanx posted:

Seriously? I hadn't picked it up yet, but I'd heard nothing but good things.

It's quite good. Worth picking up the trades (there'll ultimately be four) when they're out. Also, G. Willow Wilson mentioned on Twitter that she's known for some time that the series would be ending at issue 24 and so she was able to end it more or less as she wanted too. She also lightly hinted that we'd get at least one more ongoing out of her eventually; maybe once shes done with her current book projects.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

So Air got better after the first trade? I buy pretty much every volume one trade Vertigo puts out thanks to the $9.99 price, but there was nothing that grabbed me in that book.

Also I still hate that it got a longer run than Young Liars did :(

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

so, i've read the first 6 volumes of 100 Bullets, and I'm really not getting into it. I like the art and i can appreciate it for what it is, but it just doesn't really click for me.

is there something i'm missing, and i just not to the good part or what?

DanteDyas
Sep 4, 2006

..............!?

Roydrowsy posted:

so, i've read the first 6 volumes of 100 Bullets, and I'm really not getting into it. I like the art and i can appreciate it for what it is, but it just doesn't really click for me.

I've found that most people get completely hooked in on either the third or fourth trade. From there on the quality stays pretty constant. I guess it's just not your kind of thing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ThusZarathustra posted:

It's quite good. Worth picking up the trades (there'll ultimately be four) when they're out. Also, G. Willow Wilson mentioned on Twitter that she's known for some time that the series would be ending at issue 24 and so she was able to end it more or less as she wanted too. She also lightly hinted that we'd get at least one more ongoing out of her eventually; maybe once shes done with her current book projects.

That's a bummer, but at least it's ending in an intentional way. Such a shame because it was pretty awesome. Oh well.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Air was always intended to be finite and have a definitive ending (like most Vertigo titles), but I read somewhere that Wilson originally intended fr there to be around 40 or so issues. Maybe it's for the best that it ends at 24. I like the series, but it tends to get a little slow at times. the story seems to have picked up recently, and that's probably because Wilson knew the book was coming to an end.

The new issue of American Vampire was good, but something felt a little off about the Stephen King half. Skinner Sweet massacring the whole town seemed almost out of character. I know that we're only on the third issue so characters are still developing, but I assumed Sweet was going to be more of a Monster-With-Some-sort-of-Morals thing. Thinking about it, what happened makes him a little more interesting; it made him a lot less sympathetic; but it just seemed to come out of left field.

Than again, this is a book about murderous monsters, so maybe I was just being naive.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I finally got to read Joe the Barbarian #5, and Grant Morrison can loving eat poo poo and die. gently caress you, Grant, you loving poo poo-sucking motherfucker.

I swear, Jack better still be alive or Morrison can loving go gently caress himself.

gently caress this book. gently caress everything. :(

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

I finally got to read Joe the Barbarian #5, and Grant Morrison can loving eat poo poo and die. gently caress you, Grant, you loving poo poo-sucking motherfucker.

I swear, Jack better still be alive or Morrison can loving go gently caress himself.

gently caress this book. gently caress everything. :(

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that reaction.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I figured as long as he wasn't Ares'd, and he was still making noise, he probably was. Although not, maybe, for long.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

maybe the next issue will be Joe saving him?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I really hope so. But I have this sinking feeling that he's pretty badly wounded and is going to die.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked up issue 5 of Joe the Barbarian and god drat. When Jack's explaining The heroic Iron Knight and we see that in the real world Joe is looking at pictures of his father I teared up.

gently caress this whole issue was filled with tear jerkers. Best one I think. I really don't think that Jack is going to make it. One crunch on a mouse from a dog will easily kill it

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
gently caress me, how have I missed this thread until now? I'm nuts about Vertigo titles. I usually read the first 3-5 issues of anything they put out, and if I make it past that point it's in my subscription box for the long haul.

Greek Street is one of the ones that I only made it to 5 issues on. It's just not that good. I wish I could say it was something as simple as the characters needing the reader to have an understanding of Greek mythology to really identify with them, but I've got a pretty good grasp on the classics, and it still doesn't do much for me. I could even forgive it if it were just a (darker) version of Fables, with gods running amok in the city, but it's not even that cohesive. Instead, it's a bunch of unlovable characters being assholes to each other for inexplicable reasons. Meh. (Incidentally, Image's "God Complex" may be up your alley if you like the basic notion of the Greek mythos in the modern day, although it's more of a straightforward hero comic and most likely not long for this world)

It's a shame about Air being canceled, because I feel it has some serious raw potential. It's a drat good series, but just doesn't go very far from month to month and I can see where that would hurt sales. I've been reading it since the first issue, and I'll miss it when it's gone.

It's been said a dozen times already, but Daytripper is beyond brilliant. I don't know what I could add to what's already been said, other than to add some insight on the subtlety behind one aspect of the book's convention: Remember back to the first issue, about the paintings? They're all of different women but named after the same girl, right? The lives depicted for Bras are all different, and incompatible in subtle ways, even ignoring the repeated theme of his death in each issue. But they're all still "named" for Bras, in that we see him as the protagonist instead. It's just one of many layers to the artistry of the series.

I loved the hell out of the first issue of iZombie, and I'm glad it's not just Chew with brains (I had a vague mistaken impression of that from the preview pages in other books). I'm really looking forward to seeing where that goes. Mike Allred is still going strong, I see, even though I haven't really followed his work closely since the mid-90s.

There is literally nothing more I could say about Unwritten that hasn't been said. I look forward to it at least as much as anything else I subscribe to.

Did anyone mention WE3 yet? Even if so, it deserves another mention. It's one of the best short trades they have out.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

Roydrowsy posted:

I've had trouble getting into 100 Bullets too, even though I can easily tell how "good" it is. Don't know, it just grabs some people moreso

Unwritten is pretty amazing, can't wait for the second trade to come out since no bookstores around me carry it regularly. Just started in on vol 2 of Transmetropolitan, which is my favorite thing right now. I'm a big fan of Hunter S, so naturally I love the parallels there.

Vertigo has really helped me to get back into comics in general. It's nice to escape the superhero genre for a while.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Unwritten #12, one-shot of the year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Unwritten has made me break my rule about buying Vertigo Trades. I like to buy Vertigo trades once the series has finished, that way I don't have to wait however long it is between trades and I can read the trades on a constant basis (allowing me to read something like Y in one long flow). However I made the mistake of picking up the first Unwritten trade (drat you low price) and now I am waiting for the next one to come out. Gah.

As for Milligan I hear his Human Target is quite good and brought a unique spin to the character.
I also heard that Unknown Soldier is excellent. Probably the next bunch of trades I pick up.

racecardriver
Apr 27, 2009
I'm really loving Joe the Barbarian. The art is so drat incredible -- the level of detail is stunning. Does the plot remind anyone else of a creepy '80s kid's movie? It reminds me of stuff like Neverending Story, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal in the sense that seeing it as a kid would have freaked me out a bit.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
So DiDio nixed a China Miéville-written Swamp Thing run in favor of a new DCU book. Ugh.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
gently caress me, Vertigo is far too good. I just read Sweettooth and IZombie and have two favorites. Luckily (or not, I guess?) I'm resigning to getting Sweettooth in trades, and perhaps IZombie, just because we're sold out of #1 right now.

It's bad enough that I was getting a triple whammy of awesome with Unwritten, Day Tripper, and B&R, but I'm now going to have random trades full of amazing (who am I kidding, I'll break down and buy the monthlies soon enough)

edit: and Joe is obviously loving amazing.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

FoneBone posted:

So DiDio nixed a China Miéville-written Swamp Thing run in favor of a new DCU book. Ugh.

I'd rather see a new DCU Swamp Thing than have Mieville spreading his "see how loving left-wing I am!!!!" attitude all over it.

He's done a couple of decent short stories but is hugely over-rated.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I just picked up Ian Rankin's Hellblazer book, and I've been thinking of reading a bit more. Since I don't need to buy all of another comic series, what would people here consider the best or most essential arcs?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

I just picked up Ian Rankin's Hellblazer book, and I've been thinking of reading a bit more. Since I don't need to buy all of another comic series, what would people here consider the best or most essential arcs?
Of Hellblazer? Garth Ennis' run is series-defining as far as I'm concerned. Start with Dangerous Habits and go from there. You might want to check out Rare Cuts as well. It's a collection of random stories of varying quality, but right now it's the only book containing the issues covering the "Newcastle incident", which is somewhat important to Constantine's history and is referred back to every now and then throughout the series. But yeah, Ennis' entire Hellblazer run is must-read and still remains a high bar that-- at least in my opinion-- no writer since has been able to match.

Mike Carey's stuff is good. Peter Milligan is writing the book now, and while it isn't earth-shattering, it's still pretty solid.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I really don't see another weak attempted Vertigo Swamp Thing relaunch by an unproven comic writer guaranteed to be cancelled within a year as any great loss, sorry Mieville. Frankly the line is better off moving on from the "mature" DCU reimagining thing because it just hasn't worked in a long time.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

^burtle posted:

Unwritten #12, one-shot of the year.

That page when you see what's locked away is just... drat. I'm glad Taters got me to read Unwritten, it's loving stellar, second only to Daytripper as far as vertigo goes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Still haven't gotten around to reading Unwritten, but I have some very minor complaints about American Vampire.

First, I love Stephen King. I love the Dark Tower series, even the ending. However, I do not appreciate King injecting the Dark Tower into the American Vampire series. Skinner Sweet's story is almost as good as the main book, but the Euro-Vamps referring to their servants as "Humes" just annoyed me. Minor, sure, but it pulled me out of the story.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

racecardriver posted:

I'm really loving Joe the Barbarian. The art is so drat incredible -- the level of detail is stunning. Does the plot remind anyone else of a creepy '80s kid's movie? It reminds me of stuff like Neverending Story, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal in the sense that seeing it as a kid would have freaked me out a bit.

Not to barge into this thread, but since you haven't posted in SA-Mart since May 12th and don't have any contact methods I'll post it here: I'm interested in talking to you about trading some things, contact me at ajlavigne3 AT yahoo DOT com or drop by the SA-Mart comic thread.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Soonmot posted:

Still haven't gotten around to reading Unwritten, but I have some very minor complaints about American Vampire.

First, I love Stephen King. I love the Dark Tower series, even the ending. However, I do not appreciate King injecting the Dark Tower into the American Vampire series. Skinner Sweet's story is almost as good as the main book, but the Euro-Vamps referring to their servants as "Humes" just annoyed me. Minor, sure, but it pulled me out of the story.

I love Stephen King also, but I am so ready for the main story to get more pages every month. Every time it ends I think, dammit, it was just getting interesting. King's stuff isn't bad, it just feels like it isn't that necessary to enjoying the main storyline. He's probably building to some big revelation that we the readers will know about long before Pearl does.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

I love Stephen King also, but I am so ready for the main story to get more pages every month. Every time it ends I think, dammit, it was just getting interesting. King's stuff isn't bad, it just feels like it isn't that necessary to enjoying the main storyline. He's probably building to some big revelation that we the readers will know about long before Pearl does.

True, but I am honestly curious about how Skinner turns from the outlaw killer we're first introduced to into... whatever the hell he is when he turns Pearl. There's a story there, I just don't want King to turn it from Skinner's story into one of his own stories. Although, along as Skinner stays out of Maine, he should be okay!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I, Zombie is really fun so far. I think the coloring is amazing. I love both the zombie girl detective and the ghost character.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

racecardriver posted:

That's exactly the feeling I get reading it. It's a book that rewards people who love to scrutinize their comics for detailed between-the-lines stuff. The latest issue is pretty :negative: but so goood!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

FirstCongoWar posted:

That page when you see what's locked away is just... drat. I'm glad Taters got me to read Unwritten, it's loving stellar, second only to Daytripper as far as vertigo goes.

Every comic is second to Daytripper.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, The Unwritten is as good as everyone is saying it is. Does Vertigo release hardcovers or should I just grab the two current trades?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Soonmot posted:

Holy gently caress, The Unwritten is as good as everyone is saying it is. Does Vertigo release hardcovers or should I just grab the two current trades?

I wouldn't expect hardcovers on it for a while....a long while. Vertigo rarely does them I've noticed.

If you grab the two trades, you should be almost fully up to date, missing one or two issues.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

RevKrule posted:

I wouldn't expect hardcovers on it for a while....a long while. Vertigo rarely does them I've noticed.

If you grab the two trades, you should be almost fully up to date, missing one or two issues.

FYI, second Unwritten TPB is out in August.
I feel like Vertigo used to be a lot faster then this, but so it goes.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib
If they were ever faster about trades, I don't recall it. Maybe they just got better, making you more impatient? ;)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Tube posted:

If they were ever faster about trades, I don't recall it. Maybe they just got better, making you more impatient? ;)

Oh crap, it's June already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Vertigo does HCs on completed or runs that are very lengthy.

• Locked thread