Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

InnercityGriot posted:

Haha, for real? Learn something new every day.

He did that quite a bit back then.

"Does the body rule the mind
Or does the mind rule the body ?
I dunno..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

redbackground posted:

Ellis' banned issue of Hellblazer to finally be printed. source (well, and here)

The whole Vertigo Resurrected special sounds pretty cool and now I really want to know what else is included.

It seems like Lee and Didio are kicking open the vaults in general. Pretty sure that Brubaker Batman mini was never supposed to see the light of day either.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What is Air about and is it any good?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

blue.eyed.ash posted:

It seems like Lee and Didio are kicking open the vaults in general. Pretty sure that Brubaker Batman mini was never supposed to see the light of day either.

Which Brubaker Batman mini do you mean? The only DC Comics Presents I see for that is a reprint of some stories that already ran in Batman.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

SpaceMost posted:

What is Air about and is it any good?

It's really hard to explain, honestly. It's about an airline hostess who gets wrapped up in a conspiracy theory that involves a airplanes powered by your mind and Amelia Airheart and well yeah.

It's a very good book, though. I really enjoyed what I read of it.

Unfortunately, it's also now canceled.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bleeding Cool is reporting that Karen Berger has confirmed its rumors: all DCU-originating Vertigo characters will soon be returned to the editorial control of the DCU offices, with the apparent exception of John Constantine. This oddly isn't being reported by any of the other sites (CBR, Newsarama) that one would expect to have full coverage of the panel, but I can only assume that Rich Johnston wouldn't pull a quote from a panel out of his rear end.

Oh, and this rumor will no doubt thrill those who wanted to read the Mieville Swamp Thing series:

Rich Johnston posted:

Bleeding Cool first ran the story that he was coming back to DCU continuity, scotching an already-in-the-works project from the Vertigo, the green elemental’s home for so long. But… how? After all, he’ll probably need a grand entrance.

Well, the word from San Diego is to look to Star City. And the star-shaped forest that has risen up. And the tree with the White Lantern logo. That appears in DC’s big mystery image, impaled by a bunch of arrows and being burnt by Martian Manhunter…

I wonder what… or who… the tree is? Hmmm?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Star City? So I guess that means he'll be showing up in J.T. Krul's Green Arrow book?

If they're going to to bring Swamp Thing back into the DCU, I wish they'd get a better writer to handle him than J.T. Krul.

I still don't get this decision anyway. Did someone over at DC go, "poo poo, Marvel's been having Man Thing show up a lot lately. He showed up in the Legion of Monsters recently, and now he's on the Thunderbolts! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WE MUST COUNTER THIS MOVE SOMEHOW! What's Swamp Thing doing?"

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

teekun posted:

Unfortunately, it's also now canceled.

Wait what gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

For actual content: I've read the first four trades of Lucifer and man does it go downhill during "Dalliance With The Damned". Still an enjoyable series so far, though... the whole alternate creation thing is very well done. Must go fritter more money on TPs!

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 25, 2010

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that's why Death is making a DCU appearance? I guess Sandman will follow as well then. Other than Hellblazer what other characters are still in Vertigo? Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Scarab and Kid Eternity all went back to the DCU. Shade is in HB right now but he could still jump back over when they relaunch Suicide Squad again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
No one outside of Rich has confirmed this, but then again no one has talked about the Jill Thompson Delerium OGN announced at this panel either.

DC has their podcast of the panel up, but the last couple minutes where this exchange allegedly too place gets cut off.

It really only affects Swamp Thing, regardless. I wrote it up more here.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Rhyno posted:

So that's why Death is making a DCU appearance? I guess Sandman will follow as well then. Other than Hellblazer what other characters are still in Vertigo? Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Scarab and Kid Eternity all went back to the DCU. Shade is in HB right now but he could still jump back over when they relaunch Suicide Squad again.

If Sandman and Death count wouldn't that qualify Lucifer and Tim Hunter too?

VVVV Constantine was listed as an exception.

Gassire fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 26, 2010

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Gassire posted:

If Sandman and Death count wouldn't that qualify Lucifer and Tim Hunter too?

And John Constantine?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
How can you all forget Black Orchid? Well, very easily as I've only just remembered the godawful Vertigo book from back in the day...

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

No one outside of Rich has confirmed this, but then again no one has talked about the Jill Thompson Delerium OGN announced at this panel either.

DC has their podcast of the panel up, but the last couple minutes where this exchange allegedly too place gets cut off.

It really only affects Swamp Thing, regardless. I wrote it up more here.

Is Jill Thompson the one who did the manga version of Death?

Edit: Yes she is. Gonna pass on this one then. Shame too cause Delirium was one of my favorite characters.

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 26, 2010

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
She's also the one who did Beasts of Burden, which is just gorgeous.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Volume posted:

Is Jill Thompson the one who did the manga version of Death?

Edit: Yes she is. Gonna pass on this one then. Shame too cause Delirium was one of my favorite characters.

But she was also the penciller on Brief Lives, the Sandman arc in which delirium plays her only major role.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

She's also the one who did Beasts of Burden, which is just gorgeous.

and the Marquis De Sade arc of Invisibles, which wasn't.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is this new Delirium story gonna be in that manga style?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They did not specify on the panel, but they compared it to the Little Endless Storybook (which was watercolors) and not At Death's Door/The Dead Boy Detectives (manga) so hopefully the former.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Jill Thompson's watercolor work is pretty great. I've never read that death manga, so I don't know if it's better or worse.

Beasts of Burden cover:

Interior page of The Little Endless Story Book:

Also, I wonder how the DC property reclamation will effect the Madame Xanadu ongoing... she's technically DC right, even if they stopped caring about her? There are solicitations for her series up through October, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also, I wonder how the DC property reclamation will effect the Madame Xanadu ongoing... she's technically DC right, even if they stopped caring about her? There are solicitations for her series up through October, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

They've already said it's being cancelled. It could be a mutual thing as Wagner only intended to write it for about a year and Hadley's moving on to other things. Hopefully it'll get picked up in the DCU proper, it is practically a DCU book in all but name anyway.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 28, 2010

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shameless posted:

They've already said it's being cancelled. It could be a mutual thing as Wagner only intended to write it for about a year and Hadley's moving on to other things. Hopefully it'll get picked up in the DCU proper, it is practically a DCU book in all but name anyway.

Well drat, I was reading it in trades and I really liked the first one. The second wasn't quite as good, but it did make me wish they'd do more with Wesley Dodds.

I wonder if they're planning on launching some kind of main line magic series or something. It'll probably suck, but I don't see why else they'd want to take back all those characters.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I have to say Sandman Mystery Theatre was one of my favourite comics as a kid, I loved the art style and narrative but sometimes I wish they'd bring it back - Dodds became a whipping boy in the last 10 years (See the many deaths he's had in Kingdom Come/JSA ect and the new Sandman/Sand is too *ick* to love

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I just finished the first volume of Demo and I was floored. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Now to decide if I want to wait for the second volume in trade or try and find the singles.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Sweet Tooth is okay, and Daytripper is great, but jesus loving christ Scalped is the best thing I've read in a long time. I'm glad I didn't know it while I was reading 100 Bullets. I love how the story arcs circle around an event we already know happened, and it's still gripping and thrilling. The two main characters are so incredibly well written, I just hope they can keep this up.

Thanks, thread.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
i, Zombie is cute. I wouldn't say it's deep and must-read, but it has a sort of early Buffy flavor that makes it a fun, light timewaster. And the art's just amazing, of course.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The idea that Jason Aaron has only been writing comics since 2006 and has made something as great as Scalped makes me look forward to anything he writes in the future.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Jason Aaron might be Marvel's best writer.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The idea that Jason Aaron has only been writing comics since 2006 and has made something as great as Scalped makes me look forward to anything he writes in the future.

Scalped only seems to get better as time goes on, and I can't wait to see what Aaron brings to the table in the future.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Is there another comic book publisher who specializes in comics for adults that is the quality of Vertigo?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

GOP posted:

Is there another comic book publisher who specializes in comics for adults that is the quality of Vertigo?

Icon is Marvel's Vertigo.

It's not quite as developed yet as Vertigo but there are some great books on it including Powers, Incognito, Criminal, Cassanova and there are high hopes for Scarlet.

Again, it's in it's infancy but especially with Fraction, Bendis and Brubaker all with books, it'll grow given half a chance.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Image doesn't specialize in adult comics, but offers plenty of great "independent" titles as well including Invincible, Chew, Four Eyes, The Walking Dead and Jonathan Hickman's creator own work, at least until he gets pulled into the Icon line.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

Image doesn't specialize in adult comics, but offers plenty of great "independent" titles as well including Invincible, Chew, Four Eyes, The Walking Dead and Jonathan Hickman's creator own work, at least until he gets pulled into the Icon line.

Four Eyes is still being published? What issue are they on?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

4 and then the first trade just came out like two weeks ago.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

RevKrule posted:

Powers, Incognito, Criminal, Cassanova and there are high hopes for Scarlet.
Fraction, Bendis and Brubaker

Are there actually any other authors on icon?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Millar releases stuff through Icon.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

Millar releases stuff through Icon.

He does the excellent Nemesis through Icon doesn't he?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kick-rear end, Nemesis and I think Superior are through Icon.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
I made it about halfway through the Sandman trades (it's great, sure) before getting down on Lucifer and I've just gone helplessly gay for the lightbringer. Carey's such a smart guy.. it kills me when writers aren't really as clever as they've made their characters out to be, the kind of thing that inevitably winds down with some kind of bizarre deus ex poo poo or similar creative failure. There's something about Lucifer, the character and the series, that Morpheus (despite his own charms) just can't give me.

So yeah, I'm hooked and too broke to snap up the whole thing right now. Trying to pace myself with the few trades I've already bought so I don't have to endure too much dead time before my next purchase. A lot of you guys must know that feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

choobs posted:

The thing about Jack is that he was never too interesting in Fables, but his own series was awesome and hilarious. The Great Fables Crossover makes a lot more sense if you saw what happened leading up to it in Jack's series and seriously, it funny non-stop.

So I've finally caught up on Jack of Fables and holy poo poo were you ever right. It really, really improved the Great Fables Crossover for me as I now understand everything surrounding Jack Frost, Babe (who is the loving best), Mr. Revise, Kevin Thorne, the Page Sisters, and Old Sam. Hell, even Dex feels less like... well... Dex after seeing how they had encountered him earlier. Thorne's motivations were also made so much more sense. They kind of just brief over it in GFC with Revise saying "I changed his stories a bunch" but I had no idea he was basically a villian for the entire story up to that point (more or less).

And yeah, JoF is quite funny non-stop.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 10, 2010

• Locked thread