Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Standard as far as I can tell. I talked to a few of them who have done this before or worked during outages at other plants. I have some napkin with one of those companies that only do outages written down some where. High pay, no benefits, no solid work.

The plant has 3 schedules. Shift work ala prototype, 4-10s, or 5-8s. Most people don't like 5-8s. Some people live up to a mile away as well. Oh shift work is 12 hours.

Work hard play hard? Sure.

EDIT: Also, this plant hires once a year.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sandler311 posted:

Thinking of getting out and doing the same job? I just took the POSS test at Comanche Peak. I was the youngest guy there, plenty of chiefs or very old salty guys, and very few non nukes. One guy was an engineer at the plant who wanted to change over for more money.

The POSS is a glorified asvab with traps in it. Nuke traps. You like math? Well we gave you lots of problems, not enough time to do them, and hard ones to waste your time. Apparently if you try doing them you may fail from not doing enough problems.

The first job you go for is NEO, or nuclear equipment operator. Mix an EM with an MM and you got it. After that you can work your way up.

There were 40 people applying for the job and only 12 are going to be picked up. I was the youngest guy there at 27.

I think the worst thing about the POSS test was the fact that the practice tests online were a complete joke compared to the actual test. The math section was the toughest part for me, and I think it would benefit anyone taking the test to go through some algebra practice problems before they took it.

I don't think we've ever had that many people apply for our NLO (or NEO) jobs here but that probably has something to do with our location. It's kind of funny though I've been here almost three years now and I'm still one of the youngest guys in Ops at 26.

What's Comanche Peak starting wages at? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They have a stepped starting pay based on previous experience. I'm trying to recall, I think it is about 75K though. Hopefully I can tell you for certain next week. They go down a check list and the more things you have on the list, the more pay you can start at.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
How would an ex navy electrician with 9 years in and a bachelors in nuke-e do? I have this terrible fear of not getting the civilian job that I want and not being ready to jump back into the nuclear operations field.

Torvec
Sep 17, 2007
EDIT: Ignore this, turns out I'm probably not going to continue to pursue the Nuke program after all as I've already sworn in as an AECF and I think I'll just go with that instead.

LonsomeSon posted:

Oh, yeah, that's totally legit, thousands of recruiters totally haven't used the same line to gently caress over the planned military service of tens of thousands of servicemembers.

((At the end of your contract you can reenlist to re-class but it varys from hard to loving impossible to do so during your term depending on your command; don't listen to that bullshit and stick to your guns for the job you want.))

KetTarma posted:

Yes. There is no such thing as a nuke field reservist. If you ship to bootcamp with x job, it is what you will be doing 99% of the time.

No I meant getting re-classed while still in the DEP, not after I've already shipped to Basic. The reason they keep telling me to do this is that apparently if I'm already in the DEP they can re-class me without having to go back down to MEPS (they said they can just fax the necessary papers to/from the recruiters office). Or is THAT a bunch of bullshit?

This of course is assuming the Nuke program opens up for me sometime in between me swearing in to the DEP and when I actually ship out. I'm pretty drat sure that if I do sign up for a job the ship date will be months out anyway.

Torvec fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

How would an ex navy electrician with 9 years in and a bachelors in nuke-e do? I have this terrible fear of not getting the civilian job that I want and not being ready to jump back into the nuclear operations field.

Go here and use paper and pen as the user name / password combo and take the practice test. This is almost the exact thing you will take.

To get the job only requires a good score on this test and an interview where they just ask you how you do under pressure, what good operators have, and what not. That is it. More seniority in the navy will not help you pass this test, nor do degrees. But they will help with starting pay. They select people via that then do back ground checks and you will retake some classes that you are used to.

This is the timeline my email gave me.

Information about the POSS test, interviews and travel arrangements:
*You will need to bring your drivers license or some other form with a picture ID.
*If you have previously completed the POSS test successfully, complete the ”Authorization to Release EEI Test Scores” form and fax it to me at REDACTED. If your results can’t be verified, you will need to take the POSS test at Comanche Peak. This request takes time to process so please return the form as early as possible.
*Information on the Edison Electrical Institute POSS test is available via the internet at http://www.energyfutureholdings.com/careers/eei.aspx
*The POSS test and interviews will be administrated at CPNPP Glen Rose TX in the Nuclear Operation Support Facility (NOSF) Classroom & Lab Annex.
*Luminant will provide lodging accommodations in the local area if needed the night before the test / interview. Applicants are responsible for any meals and transportation to and from the testing / interviewing site.
*Shift Operations representatives will be on hand before and after the testing (snacks / drinks will be provided).
CPNPP conducts panel style interviews for NEO applicants. FYI - Most of the interviewers will be wearing “docker” style pants and button up or polo style shirts.
*Crew NEO’s will be leading plant tours during the course of the day; these tours are encouraged but not required. If you wish to participate PLEASE wear all natural fiber clothing, and bring current drivers license.

12/13 May 2010 Start job offers – currently 12 positions
*Job offers are contingent on successful completion of the following;
Drug Screening
Initial background / security screening
Fire Brigade Physical – see below

27 May 2010 thru 4 June 2010 Fire Brigade Physical for NEO candidates
*The NEO position requires participation in the site Fire Brigade. To insure physical fitness for this requirement all candidates are required to successfully complete the Fire Brigade physical.
*Travel expenses will be provided for candidates, (airfare, car rental meals, parking, mileage if traveling POV, etc). Airfare and lodging is usually direct pay by Luminant EFH, car rental, meals, parking and mileage is reimbursed.
*Usually candidates fly / drive in the night before, stay at a local hotel, and complete the physical early the next day.
*The physical requires fasting after midnight for lab test.

28 June 2010 NEO report to CPNPP to start work and commence initial training
*2 weeks - Check In and Admin
*3 weeks - Systems Fund / Safety
*1 week - Math / Physics Fund
*2 weeks - Chem / Thermo / Rx Theory Fund
*1 week - Rad Protection / Elec Fund
*1 week - Component Fund
*6 weeks - Plant Systems

So 16 weeks of training then you go qualify on the plant and do basic maintenance.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2010

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Passed Power School comp, my happy rear end is going straight to Prototype now. 90% of the class is going to SOBC, I'm in the 10% that got orders to prototype when they found out that SOBC was full too. They're smug, I'm smug, we're all gonna get raped

Edit: I'll be super-smug if I get put on prototype hold until the next class.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

What the hell is SOBC? What broken thing is that?

Also I passed the POSS test. I find out how I stack up against the other people who passed later. No numbers on how many that failed.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Sandler311 posted:

Also I passed the POSS test. I find out how I stack up against the other people who passed later. No numbers on how many that failed.

Submarine Officer Basic Course? I'm pretty sure sub school isn't a new development in the training pipeline :confused:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Enlisted nukes never do sub school and I have never heard of SOBC. Maybe I never chilled with officers.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sandler311 posted:

That's interesting, I never got the results from my test just that I passed. I should stop by HR tomorrow and see if they keep those on record.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sandler311 posted:

SOBC is a short officer course in which they learn the other non nuclear systems on the submarine, such as Fire Control basics, and other stuff they will deal with on a day to day basis. It's a short stop in Groton, CT before they reach the fleet.

Edit: They also go though ALL the trainers here prior to reporting to their boats. Unlike the enlisted sailors who may or may not have a chance at a trainer because of SOBC classes having priority.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 14, 2010

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Torvec posted:

No I meant getting re-classed while still in the DEP, not after I've already shipped to Basic. The reason they keep telling me to do this is that apparently if I'm already in the DEP they can re-class me without having to go back down to MEPS (they said they can just fax the necessary papers to/from the recruiters office). Or is THAT a bunch of bullshit?

If its not in writing, it don't mean poo poo. If it IS in writing, make copies. Yes, they can fax paperwork, but they can't re-neg your contract without your signature, so don't sign anything without reading, and don't pick any silly open rating options. DEP service isn't military service AT ALL and doesn't count for poo poo because the UCMJ DOESN'T APPLY. Where the hell am I taking this? Oh, right. Lock down in writing exactly what you're going for before signing the contract and they own you.

Remember, recruiters are lying sons of bitches who will do anything to fill their quota to fill those billets to get that NAM to get the EP so they can finally make Chief and get that super sweet permanent billet handing out basketballs in the house that Jack built.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Null Integer posted:

SOBC is a short officer course in which they learn the other non nuclear systems on the submarine, such as Fire Control basics, and other stuff they will deal with on a day to day basis. It's a short stop in Groton, CT before they reach the fleet.

Edit: They also go though ALL the trainers here prior to reporting to their boats. Unlike the enlisted sailors who may or may not have a chance at a trainer because of SOBC classes having priority.

I went to my boat having never done any of the trainers, but at least A-school was a 6 month waste of time before I got into this poo poo.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I think we sufficiently freaked out the staff today when the whole lot of us bumrushed the Off-crew office with our qual books looking for babby's first checkout.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Manawski, I will give you a huge secret to prototype success. You can keep this secret to yourself or share it with your brothers and sisters. This is how you get ahead of the curve:

Go to the boat as often as you can.
During shutdowns, there are hours at a time where nothing is going on. Don't be afraid to come down and ask for checkouts. That being said, asking someone knee deep in lube oil who is covered in the blood of the fallen with wrenches in both hands and his mouth if they can give you an end of card will probably result in them telling you to gently caress yourself. Don't be discouraged, it's training for how the real navy works when you go to a real boat. On that note...

Go to the boat.
The forward end of the boat has a bunch of watchstanders that are often not doing anything. New students are often afraid of going there to ask.

Go to the boat.

25% of your checkouts will involve the question "So where's that at?" and will result in you not getting a signature if you haven't gone to the boat and looked around. Staff get infuriated when people don't know where things are at and we know that they always hang out in the TSB and never go to the boat.

Go to the boat. I'm not going to say that offcrew is a waste of time and students should just get a 30 minute orientation on how to not eat paint and where the potty is but seriously. Sitting in a classroom for 2 hours waiting for an instructor to get to you on the electronic list thing is stupid.

E: Whenever people are signing your book as an EOOW student for a system checkout, ask the question "Is there anything specific you think I should know about this system that most EOOWs dont that causes them to screw up on watch?" when they say "any questions?" Itll save you headaches in the future.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2010

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
How much will having a non-technical degree hurt me in the pipeline?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerekk posted:

It won't, they'll teach you everything you need to know and some of the poo poo they teach you is going to be different than what is taught in college. At least that's what all the people that I served with that had degrees (officer and enlisted alike) said.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

KetTarma posted:

Go to the boat.

Will do. I think it's going to end up being a necessity more than an advantage to be always at the boat (and what serves for the forward end of the boat up here). There are MO's have 9-10 quals already and the most of us EOOW students are sitting on one. Of course I hear those dudes coming out of the boxes saying they knocked out 3 checkouts in one session, so that might be where we are loving up.

We're going to have to unfuck ourselves in a hurry before Tuesday and points start counting for something and any edge I get to look better than my fellow EOOWs is greatly appreciated.

Cerekk posted:

Belt is right. We had a goddamn Forestry major in our class, and he made it. I had a Physics degree, and it didn't help me in the slightest.

There is a specific Power School way that everything is taught, and the answers are expected to conform with that curriculum. If it doesn't line up perfectly with what appears in your notes, you'll take a hit commensurate with the deviation from the notes, so there's really nothing to fear.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When on the boat, do not bitch at the first class photo shopping his self into photos who is too busy for giving checkouts. Do not point out that he is photo shopping his self into photos. Do not inquire if this is the reason he is too busy. Do not call him a loving retard. This is what I learned by going down to the boat.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.

Manawski posted:

For officers, the cutoff for nuke is 29. Not sure how it works on the enlisted side.

For being inducted or put into the program? I heard you can't even apply until you get a year of calc and phys w/ calc under your bet.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

flux_core posted:

For being inducted or put into the program? I heard you can't even apply until you get a year of calc and phys w/ calc under your bet.

You have to be <29 at the date of commissioning (i.e. when you graduate OCS, or graduate college in the event of NROTC). You might be able to waiver that these days, though, what with the whole 'critically undermanned' business going on.

Also the second point is true, even though it really means gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. They'll teach you calc and phys, and what they teach you is pretty much the end result of calc and phys, not the journey itself.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
Does anyone know how well our job stuff translates into other, generic "defense contractor" stuff? I ask because I got contacted by Triple Canopy about a job working OM&IS (logistics) for them. I'm not sure if I got the call because they figure one vet is the same as another, or if i actually have something they want.

I'm tempted to do it, not just because of the salary, but because between that and the political stuff I've gotten involved in, it could be very helpful if I ever went back to work in the defense/DC area.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It translates ok. Ex nukes have proven that they are trainable and at least moderately smart. I'd say most of my friends got out and got some mid level technical job of some sort.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I was interested in the Navy nuclear program, specifically the nuclear reactor engineer, but from what I've read it seems to be a really competitive program to get into. I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and I was a pretty average student(3.0) with definitely quite a few C's and one D.

How hard is it to get through and past the interviews for the whole NUPOC process? I'm probably boned for the nuclear reactor engineer position due to my grades, but how competitive would the submarine officer or the surface warfare officer positions be?

I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet (though there aren't any officer cruiters where I live), but I just wanted to get a feel for things to see if I was getting in over my head.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.
I just spoke to a DoD employed engineer who told me, predictably, to be a contractor.

Then he went further into detail, apparently nukes in the navy do nothing but maintain everything, despite being trained to do all but design one themselves from scratch, and basically end up babysitting a reactor while under a pile of paperwork.

Ouch.

Is there any actual R&D done by the military itself anymore?

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot

flux_core posted:

I just spoke to a DoD employed engineer who told me, predictably, to be a contractor.

Then he went further into detail, apparently nukes in the navy do nothing but maintain everything, despite being trained to do all but design one themselves from scratch, and basically end up babysitting a reactor while under a pile of paperwork.

Ouch.
sounds about right, yeah

quote:

They do some stuff at Ballston Spa. When I was up there they had emptied out D1G to start testing something new there. Rumor was it was a mini reactor for NASA. I like to tell myself that smokepad rumor was true, but it was probably something like testing the efficiency of a different ELT chemical concentration or something similarly boring.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

flux_core posted:

Very accurate statement. That being said, "babysitting" and "maintaining" it are actually highly complex events that require massive amounts of training to understand what you're doing.

flux_core posted:

Ouch.

This is also a very accurate statement describing the program

flux_core posted:

Haha. No.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

flux_core posted:

You mean besides field modifications/jury-rigs? Not much. Military/DoD Civilians may write the specs and manage contracts, but there's very little organic R&D anymore. There are a few actual R&D jobs at NRL and I think AFRL, but even those are mostly civilians.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 18, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pretty sure me and some other nukes researched how long a crab would last underway. Answer, not long.

Also a lot of social experiments happen down there, like how sad you can make people and not have them kill their selves. Answer, very.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
200 points ahead of the curve. I am all that is man :smug:

That and it's drat easy to get ahead when you're the only student class and you're one of like 3 dudes willing to put in the hours to actually get checkouts.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

Pretty sure me and some other nukes researched how long a crab would last underway. Answer, not long.

Also a lot of social experiments happen down there, like how sad you can make people and not have them kill their selves. Answer, very.

i really really wish i would've had the balls to put a rat or hamster in the RC prior to a closeout but figured it would've landed me in jail somehow

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Very accurate statement. That being said, "babysitting" and "maintaining" it are actually highly complex events that require massive amounts of training to understand what you're doing.

This is also a very accurate statement describing the program

Haha. No.

I was wondering why every third sign in the Rickover Center is about suicide statistics. Is it really that bad here?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If you say you are thinking of hurting yourself, you are removed permanently from the nuclear field. Also, being a nuke is soul-crushing.

So... yes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are gonna be two types of people going through that school. The kind that had no or few hours and the kind that had tons. The people who have tons will bust their rear end to make the grade. The people who don't have many or any hours tend to look down upon the rest.

Lets just say the rest are dumber.

For shore duty, which training facility is normally set by how well you did in the pipeline. Smart kids go to the easy life and dumb kids go to the hard life. I've seen a few instructors and known a few who hate dumb people and actually make their life worse there. Can you call someone out on that? Not easily.

End result, everyone who went into that program at one point thought they were smart. Ever seen some kids freak out when they get a B in college or high school? That happens there to, but they don't get B's, they get F's.

I was strung out for a bit too in prototype. I was falling behind, lack of motivation and it just sucked. I was still chugging along, then my grand mother died who lived in Florida. I was told I could take leave but I'd go dink, then later told not to go on leave. It really messed me up.

You should always tell people if you are not feeling good on the inside, but there is always some pressure not to tell anyone. Either from your self or form other people. That causes issues.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sandler311 posted:

For shore duty, which training facility is normally set by how well you did in the pipeline. Smart kids go to the easy life and dumb kids go to the hard life.

If you were in the top 25%, qualified EWS/PPWS on your ship, made 1st class early, have EP evals, and held a major leadership position were the requirement to be considered for teaching at NNPTC when I was thinking about it. Turns out, every nuke in the Navy wants to go teach there as it is our only good shore duty that isn't career ending.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
What are the really good horror stories about this place? Been following the DLI thread, and have been wondering if we have anything that really compares to that.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

What are the really good horror stories about this place? Been following the DLI thread, and have been wondering if we have anything that really compares to that.

Which place, there are like 4 different places (6 really, but some of them happen at the same geographical location)

I mean, at Power School, all of the -=NUKES OF THE FUTURE=- are living in barracks, so any weirdness that exists will manifest itself in the circle (i.e. ET's LARPing on the circle, guys not being allowed to cross the quarterdeck with their raccoon tails still attached, things like that.) I don't know, it seems like they'll mast someone for sneezing at NNPTC, so people don't try to push the envelope too much, but that's my 3rd deck room-with-a-window perspective.

Prototype? Up in NY, Other than the command flipping out and making everyone come in wearing whites, taking away the chairs, ordering complete silence on the deck, and making the classes stand at POA for an entire lecture, It's pretty normal. I'm at the other prototype, and we're pretty chill.

In other news, Does your power school ranking really affect whether you go to Prototype on shore duty or not? I know you've got to be at least top half as an officer to go back, so I'm hosed out of that, but if it also means that I can't be a Shift Eng no matter how well I do at prototype, I'll start packing my bags for Monterrey now.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

Manawski posted:

Which place, there are like 4 different places (6 really, but some of them happen at the same geographical location)

I mean, at Power School, all of the -=NUKES OF THE FUTURE=- are living in barracks, so any weirdness that exists will manifest itself in the circle (i.e. ET's LARPing on the circle, guys not being allowed to cross the quarterdeck with their raccoon tails still attached, things like that.) I don't know, it seems like they'll mast someone for sneezing at NNPTC, so people don't try to push the envelope too much, but that's my 3rd deck room-with-a-window perspective.

Prototype? Up in NY, Other than the command flipping out and making everyone come in wearing whites, taking away the chairs, ordering complete silence on the deck, and making the classes stand at POA for an entire lecture, It's pretty normal. I'm at the other prototype, and we're pretty chill.

In other news, Does your power school ranking really affect whether you go to Prototype on shore duty or not? I know you've got to be at least top half as an officer to go back, so I'm hosed out of that, but if it also means that I can't be a Shift Eng no matter how well I do at prototype, I'll start packing my bags for Monterrey now.

I was talking about the entire pipeline, but mainly Goose Creek, since it's most of what I've seen. Figured we didn't have ti too bad, considering how much mental stability was viewed as a prerequisite to joining Nuke Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Your school rankings don't really matter for going back to prototype. Prototype is always undermanned as gently caress because prototype duty is miserable. Prototype duty is actually sometimes used as a punishment. "You can either go to mast or volunteer for prototype duty" is something that is not unheard of.

As far as horror stories... honestly, the things that happen in the fleet overshadow anything that babby nukes could dream up. You have your standard compliment of furries, vampires, Neo, and disgusting neckbeards that any college would have. The best I have is when I was a student, we had some guys get busted for having a meth lab in their barracks room.

• Locked thread