Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
:ohdear:

Well, I do have the ace in the hole that is "I don't have my Master's, and I really need to go to grad school for real" card, but I'm sure they can pull the "We need Shift Eng's and you can get a Masters online, dawg" card. Whatever, I'm still not qualified, it's priorities time.

Does it (i.e. getting checkouts/making progress) get lovely once people go on-crew? I've got a pretty nice cushion built up, but going off of what's going on over at the other plant, EOOWs get megafucked once they go on-crew. I know we're straight hosed as far as practical factors go, but if that means I can have systems done early, then that's not that huge of a deal yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Students seem to feel that it gets easier once you get on crew. Maybe they just say that to suck up to me though.

Coming back to prototype as a shift eng is an absolutely terrible idea. It's like a DIVO tour all over again.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Coming on crew for T-week when there's an ORSE coming up has to be the definition of clusterfuck.

They just spread us to the winds after quarters, right before some Chief comes up and deems me the section leader.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

... We have students?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Hey Navy Nukes, ex-nuke here saying you can make it without re-enlisting. I got out in 2006, and in 08 (after a couple of years of hard partying) I got a job in I&C at the Wolf Creek nuke power plant. I make a ton more money and the only thing I miss about the Navy is that you can go home when your work is done! That just means I get paid by the hour soooo overtime is a real thing.

Nuke plants are experiencing a HUGE turnover nowadays because of new NRC work hour regulations, and retirements. They will be hiring, you just have to look! The best way to go is to sign on to a contracting group (Such as DZ Atlantic) and go do Power Plant outages. You'll get signed on in no time

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Odd posted:

Hey Navy Nukes, ex-nuke here saying you can make it without re-enlisting. I got out in 2006, and in 08 (after a couple of years of hard partying) I got a job in I&C at the Wolf Creek nuke power plant. I make a ton more money and the only thing I miss about the Navy is that you can go home when your work is done! That just means I get paid by the hour soooo overtime is a real thing.

Nuke plants are experiencing a HUGE turnover nowadays because of new NRC work hour regulations, and retirements. They will be hiring, you just have to look! The best way to go is to sign on to a contracting group (Such as DZ Atlantic) and go do Power Plant outages. You'll get signed on in no time

PS the quality of women in civilian nuke power is about the same as in the navy, sorry

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Where should I be looking for rental housing/apartments assuming my priorities are

1. unit quality
2. neighborhood quality
3. commute
4. proximity to commercial services
5. price

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
So how much do you expect us to suck on our first watch? I got RO, so I'm probably hosed

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manawski posted:

So how much do you expect us to suck on our first watch? I got RO, so I'm probably hosed

Everyone is going to blow on their first watch. You should expect to have to be walked through your logs and pretty much else and finish the watch feeling like a dumbass. First watch is usually just getting familiar with where everything is on your watchstation and becoming familiar with performing the routine everyday tasks.

Coincidentally my first under instruction for RO is tomorrow too. Except it's for civilian reactor operator and my panel looks similar to this.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Odd posted:

PS the quality of women in civilian nuke power is about the same as in the navy, sorry

My mother is a civvie nuke :mad:.

And you're right blech.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

My mother is a civvie nuke :mad:.

And you're right blech.

Wait did you just dis your own mother? That's cold, man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Slippery posted:

With the man hours and server time he saved over $50,000 on various projects by not forcing all of us collectively complete the dis for him. That man deserves a NAM or commendation letter at least.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Slippery posted:

Should I have said she's hot?

krylex posted:

With the man hours and server time he saved over $50,000 on various projects by not forcing all of us collectively complete the dis for him. That man deserves a NAM or commendation letter at least.

:aaa: Be my Div O? Pretty please? I could save a bus full of O-10s from a battalion of Nazis after a grueling 49 hour gunfight and my Div O, Chief, and Dept Head would lecture me on why I didn't promptly fill out and route the paperwork immediately afterwards.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

krylex posted:

Valid, valid.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

Should I have said she's hot?

I dunno, I'd have thought you wouldn't talk about your mom at all on the internet, but to each their own...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

belt posted:

Is that comanche peak?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Manawski posted:

As I told a LTJG yesterday: I pretty much just expect you to say "Oh, so that's what this watchstation is for. Golly gee those enlisted sure are smart." at the end.

For enlisted, it's a whole other story.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Third World Reggin posted:

Is that comanche peak?

Couldn't tell you to be honest. First thing that popped up on google image search, haha.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

LordNad posted:

:aaa: Be my Div O? Pretty please? I could save a bus full of O-10s from a battalion of Nazis after a grueling 49 hour gunfight and my Div O, Chief, and Dept Head would lecture me on why I didn't promptly fill out and route the paperwork immediately afterwards.

Sadly, this isn't as uncommon as you'd think.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am pretty sure that is comanche peak. If it is, that picture is missing a good third of the console. You got two stations in the center, one the operator sits in and stares at a computer and a panel in the middle of the U. On the small end there is the electric plant which isn't a big deal. Most of the panel is never operated. Behind all of this is a closed room for briefings, and on the other side of that room is the same panel for the other reactor.

They run the thing at 100% power all the time, and I think everything is controlled by chemicals. I really wish I got that job.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
All of my points today got scratched, cuz I'm a dumb gently caress and can't read the Qual card

This is totally going to throw a wrench in the pool the E students have going for "EOOW most ahead of the curve"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You need to learn the fine art of bribing.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Howd you manage that?

Today was totally awesome. Standing AEA during a sustained loss of air conditioning and having to open MS-1 because my (male) student wasnt strong enough to turn the valve.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Training Coordinator took over a checkout cube, I came in and did a bunch of casualty discussions pertaining to Electricians, TC was EWS and RO qualified. EWS can't sign EOOW casualties. We both figured this out the exact moment he signed the last one off and tried to start scanning them.

In my 'defense' I thought the TC was EOOW qualified, but I was so wrong. And then the Shift Eng came in and was like

:v: "Hey, casualties!"
:( "No, sir. It's time to count books"

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds about right, student punished for a dumb rear end instructor doing stuff he isn't qualified to do.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

You have no idea how much trouble that guy is going to be in :(
Take whatever youre imagining, magnify it by an order of magnitude. That'll be closer to the volume of poo poo he's in.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

KetTarma posted:

You have no idea how much trouble that guy is going to be in :(
Take whatever youre imagining, magnify it by an order of magnitude. That'll be closer to the volume of poo poo he's in.

For us non nukes could you put it in layman's terms?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

In the navy, there are qualification books that everyone has. They're really thick. I've never bothered to count. You have to get signatures in these books. Here, I'll make a page for qualifying to be a something awful troll:
code:
13521212.12 POST IN FYAD    _____________. Date_____   5 pts   {barcode} 
13521212.13 POST IN LF      _____________. Date_____   6 pts   {barcode}
13521212.14 GET PROBATED    _____________. Date_____   2 pts   {barcode}
13521212.15 POST A BANME    _____________. Date_____   5 pts   {barcode}
Every day, you have to get x number of points. Each signature can be signed by a certain qualification level. Some instructors here at prototype are qualified to operate the reactor. Some operate the electric plant. Some the steam plant. Some the main engines. Some do the chemical analyses. Some supervise the plant. Some supervise the control room.

What happened was someone qualified to supervise "the plant" and "operate the reactor" signed for something that needed "supervise the control room."

That's called a signature violation. Each signature code has a page that says "Signatures 13521212.12 through 13521212.15 can be signed by anyone qualified as whatever." The person in question either forgot to check or thought he didn't need to check if he could sign it. It's treated somewhere between "oops, dont let it happen again" to "You are gundecking qualcards and have violated the core tenants of the program. Get your dress uniform ready, son" depending on the severity and how often we've had these violates of late.

I say the dude is hosed because of "the next loving guy [that does this is getting hosed] clause"

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

That sounds like it sucks. Do you think it was intentional or the guy was so swamped he just didn't realise?

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

LordNad posted:

That sounds like it sucks. Do you think it was intentional or the guy was so swamped he just didn't realise?

Definitely not intentional. From what I gathered, it used to be such that a Watch Supervisor could sign off on checkouts such as the ones that are in question. Somewhere between then and now, they made a revision to the qual standard that took that power away from him...

The hosed up thing is that it isn't the same for everything across the board. He could have signed off any of my Mechanic stuff as a Watch Sup, even though he is a Reactor Operator. Just not EO casualties, even though that was probably one of the most thorough casualty checkouts I've done yet.

Also how is Post in LF worth more points than FYAD? Everyone knows Post in FYAD is the widowmaker of that section of the quals.

Juragashi
Aug 5, 2010
The qual standards have gone through quite a few revisions since I have been at Prototype. So glad to be leaving prototype.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
KetTarma, how long have you been an instructor? My wife's cousin became a nuke engineer not too long ago... looks like she got a job on the Washington... do you maintain contact with any of your prior students?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Ive been an instructor for about a year and a half.

I will accept any facebook requests from any students that have graduated. That's as far as I'll take it. I chat with some occassionally.

whda
Jul 4, 2008
I saw a navy recruiter today to take a practice ASVAB and ask some general questions, and apparently I did pretty well on the practice test. I came in mostly interested in DLI, but the recruiters were really advocating the nuclear program. They eventually put me on the phone with a nuclear recruiter, and one of the questions he asked was how many times I've smoked marijuana. I answered two or three times. I didn't mention that I have also taken mushrooms twice and taken LSD twice at college. I haven't told my recruiter about that either I'm really worried I might be screwed out of a great opportunity.

How likely is it that I'll be accepted into the nuclear program or even the Navy with my prior drug usage? Is this an automatic disqualifier?

whda fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 16, 2010

Liden
Aug 12, 2010

whda posted:

I saw a navy recruiter today to take a practice ASVAB and ask some general questions, and apparently I did pretty well on the practice test. I came in mostly interested in DLI, but the recruiters were really advocating the nuclear program. They eventually put me on the phone with a nuclear recruiter, and one of the questions he asked was how many times I've smoked marijuana. I answered two or three times. I didn't mention that I have also taken mushrooms twice and taken LSD twice at college. I haven't told my recruiter about that either. I'm really worried I might be screwed out of a great opportunity.

How likely is it that I'll be accepted into the nuclear program or even the Navy with my prior drug usage? Is this an automatic dis qualifier?

Cool, a question I can actually answer.

Short Answer. No, prior drug usage is not an automatic disqualification.

Long Answer. In your case, it shouldn't be. As long as that poo poo is in your past (i.e. don't plan on using any drugs in the navy) and you don't have a drug conviction, you should be good. You should fess up as soon as you can and get started on the waiver process. You're going to have to write a handwritten statement about the how much?/why?/where?/when? about your drug use. Later, an investigator will be sent to interview you about the situation for your security clearance(standard procedure apparently). Like I said, as long as you've been truthful and that poo poo is in your past, you should be ok.

Note: The recruiter may not particularly want to put in the waiver for you (it's extra work and it probably would never affect you if you kept it secret), but insist on it anyway so that your rear end is covered. Having one bad decision eating away at you for years would suck.

I was in a similar situation to you. I had done marijuana twice during college and fessed up to it. It took me about a month for my waiver to come through. After that, there have been no problems.

Note 2: While I truly believe that you will be fine, no one can give you a 100% guarantee when it comes to security clearances/waivers.

Also, if you're looking for more info on being a Nuke, I highly recommend going to this forum and reading the posts there. It helped me a lot when I was making my decision.

Quick word of warning though. The forum members are real sticklers for spelling/grammar and will jump on you if you ask a question without searching the forums for yourself (most questions have already been answered).

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,44.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html

P.S. What do other Nuke goons thing about the quality/quantity of info on the forums I posted? I thought it was good, but I'm just a Nub depper, so I'd like some outside feedback.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KetTarma posted:

Ive been an instructor for about a year and a half.

I will accept any facebook requests from any students that have graduated. That's as far as I'll take it. I chat with some occassionally.

What about dates? And hugging? Kosher yes/no maybe so?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Most people on nukeworker.com are older and have a nostalgic view of the navy nuclear field.

It's a good source of knowledge but keep in mind that the large majority of navy nukes will not stay in nuclear power.

Honestly though, there's probably more active duty nukes in this thread than on that forum.

I became an instructor around early 2009 I think.

Um. As far as sailor-to-sailor contact: That's strictly forbidden with students. That being said, I'd hug a student if I felt the urge I guess? We're not supposed to have sex with students if that's what you're offering.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

vacation in kabul posted:

What about dates? And hugging? Kosher yes/no maybe so?

If you ever get the desire to hug a nuke, you have bigger problems than fraternization on your hands

Edit: There were 11 guys who got switched from Charleston to NY this upcoming class. They think their life sucks and is horrible. I personally can't wait to tell them to harden the gently caress up in person. Maybe I'll just show them the progress report that has everyone behind the curve, or the invisible watchbill.

Manawski fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was just at MEPs and some poor bastard who was the only other navy guy there was dual applying (e/o) for Nuke. He had no idea what nukes did except what his recruiter said was the most fulfilling job in the service. He was a male nurse, out of shape, all starry eyed and kinda dumb looking, like an animal before slaughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I hug grown up nukes all the time. I'll dare say that I greet most of my coworkers with hugs. We're a very cuddly crew.

Hey Mana, heard anything about the hurricane survival mooring? I really dont want to go out and buy my own frozen dinners to bring to work since I'm on the list of people to man the submarine if we have to float it downriver.

When I joined, I thought nukes were something like missile techs.

• Locked thread