Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Vasudus posted:

Any school that offers you more than 12 credits for your military education, regardless of the MOS, AFSC or rate, you need to look it over with serious skepticism.

Conversely, because most CLEP exams are free to take while in the military, you'd be a fool to not take a couple. I clepped out on American Government, Humanities, and math. If you're going for a technical degree when you get out being able to knock out a few electives is pretty helpful. The math didn't help out at all (took care of 'general math' or whatever, but I had to start with precalculus).

I did get credit for my military experience, it was like 20-30 some-odd credits but they were all called 'Military Service General Elective', and Bootcamp gave me 'PE general elective'. All they did was artificially raise my class standing so I can register for classes earlier :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I argued a whole whole lot and got 6 credits towards my degree out of the 130 on my SMART transcript lol

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Brancer posted:

Anyone in prototype getting buttfucked right now for this cheating scandal?

I heard life was absolutely miserable in BOTH prototypes now.

Yes. Yes we are. NY is just a GREAT place to be. However, I guess they are talking about allowing staff to extend their tour for a year due to the problems.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Going to power school in April. Looking at living downtown. Will I be able to find a 1 bedroom apt with dedicated parking for under $1200?

Conversely if I wanted to live as close to base as possible what are recommended neighborhoods/apartments?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Downtown to school is a bit of a drive and might be too much for a regular commute. I'd at least try the route before committing.

I don't know if we have other nobles posting in here to answer more precisely, but O-side power school is some pretty heavy workload, expect long nights and routine weekend work. Your quality of life may be better with a shorter drive.

Remember when it comes to town that you can sleep on the beach half the year, and finding a girl to shack up with is pretty trivial.

Places near base are also more likely to be willing to do short-term leases on mil contract - you're most likely not staying in Charleston for prototype.

If I'm misunderstanding your post and you're going back as a power school instructor, the answer is ask the other instructors.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Add 15 minutes MINIMUM to your expected commute time due to base traffic gridlock during NNPTC arrival/departure times. While living downtown would be awesome, I don't think I could recommend that to a student since the bulk of your time will be spent memorizing stuff.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nuke SWO here.

Everybody thinks there is nothing to do outside downtown. If commute is 30 to 40 minutes then I'm cool with it. Right now I have an hour commute each way, so I'm used to it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

what do you want to do?

Downtown naturally has most of the unique stuff to do but the North Charleston area has pretty much every big box retailer/every chain restaurant. Summerville has a small downtown district with a few bars. Goose Creek isnt anything to write home about but it's still like any other town. If I was wanting easy access to downtown, I'd live in West Ashley. In fact, I did that for a year. It was about a 45 minute commute to work and 10 minutes to downtown.

FWIW, 1200 will get you about 800 square feet downtown in the cheap part. You could probably safely bike to the good parts though. Plus you'll pass by the strip clubs along the route! In West Ashley, that'll get you a 3 story townhouse.

Looks like you can get a small 1 bedroom at The Radcliffe House - 61 Vanderhorst Street for 700$/month in the college district of downtown. You'd definitely be looking at an hour commute though since you'll have downtown traffic, 526/26 interchange traffic, north Charleston traffic, and base traffic. The bright side is that you'll be right next to College of Charleston.

Just remember that you might be putting in 14-16 hour days trying to pass nuke school... or you might breeze through with only 9 or 10. Who knows? I would still suggest living in North Charleston since it'll be a lot better quality of life if you end up not being a superstar student. I think the average time spent in the classroom is 12 hours a day but my data is both dated and mainly for enlisted.

If you have any Charleston questions, PM me. I've lived here for 6 years now.

Brancer
Feb 15, 2014

itsrobbiej posted:

Yes. Yes we are. NY is just a GREAT place to be. However, I guess they are talking about allowing staff to extend their tour for a year due to the problems.

I was in NY during the great shutdown of 2008. It was a loving nightmare that almost resulted in me getting Court Martialed (because I refused to go to mast in the ensuing coverup and got a lawyer.)

It all worked out for me, but it was still absolutely insane to see a base shut down for upwards of 8 months over something nonsensical - And we didn't hit CNN.

Charleston sounds so much worse right now.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

The Navy is extremely reactive. Watching CNO and Naval Reactors make the press release from the Pentagon was painful. The top leadership will press hard on nuke school until the publicity dies.

BT

Yeah I'm thinking of living closer to base now. North Charleston is probably a more practical choice. With the cheating scandal does that mean my chances of going to Ballston Spa has increased?

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Oh probably not. They have to make up for all the instructors they are booting from Charleston.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
Honestly, if there was anything I regret about my time in Charleston, it's that I lived in North Charleston. Find somewhere closer to downtown, because the city has a ton of great things to offer, and while you'll TELL yourself that you'll take the trip down there, I find that school makes it hard unless you are close enough to justify the trip.

Just my two cents.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Stay away from the dive on the weekend. Friday evening through Sunday evening stay downtown. Come back Sunday and sleep in the building to top off hours. Rinse and repeat.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, never do anything near base at all other than food runs.

I never had a problem getting downtown or the beaches. In the end it's a lot less about how close you are and a lot more about how many hours you're not in the school building. Keeping your stress down and your grades up may be easier if it's a hop and skip to base than if you endure a trek twice (or more) a day.

This doesn't apply to Count Phillips, but also don't make the enlisted mistake of blowing your first paychecks on dorky inside poo poo like a Playstation or Magic cards. Go the gently caress outside. The Riverdogs and whatever the local hockey team has free ticket nights all the time for students, be sure to check those out too - I hate major league sports but minor league is a lot more fun.

If I'd been in Charleston for Prototype I'd put serious thought into living with a mess of roommates somewhere cheap near base and then renting a room near the beach just for the weekends. The town is cheap enough to pull it off; I nearly did it in power school. Again, it helps here if you didn't run out and make huge money mistakes, like a huge car payment.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Charleston pretty much always has some event going on somewhere. I just got home from a "Pork and Oyster" festival.

Brancer
Feb 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

Again, it helps here if you didn't run out and make huge money mistakes, like a huge car payment.

God drat it, too many students do that. They go get that 600 a month jetta because they have ghost credit, then park it because they can't afford to go anywhere in it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
600 bucks a month is completely doable as a single junior enlisted person I don't get why ppl sperg about people who buy cars that aren't rust bucket pieces of poo poo heh

I bought a new truck after A school and had it for 10 years :^)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Kale

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
Our father, who art Admiral Rickover, Hyman be thy name.
Thy carriers come, thy subs work be done, On the sea as it is beneath the waves.
Give us this day our assigned maintenance, As we assign maintenance to those below us.
And lead us not into cavitation, But deliver us from field day.
For thine is the knowledge, the integrity, and the excellence, forever and ever. Hyman.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This is a few weeks old but maybe some of you spergs might like it

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2014-03-06b.1077.0

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone in this thread, who has been out, taken the test and received their NERC Cert? PM me.

Soon to be studying up for it.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Has anyone gotten out and gone to a career in the space field?

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
That's actually my goal currently. Although I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, so that should help. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple years.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ChewedFood posted:

I know a couple psychonauts and a dude that's real burnt out. Do those count?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

I grow weed in Colorado now. Does that answer your question?

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
So what's this about a NPS cheating scandal I saw a few posts back? I'd appreciate a link if somebody has it (or I missed it when I looked).

(NPS in Orlando, prototype at A1W...last class there)

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zarc posted:

So what's this about a NPS cheating scandal I saw a few posts back? I'd appreciate a link if somebody has it (or I missed it when I looked).

(NPS in Orlando, prototype at A1W...last class there)

http://endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/cheating-scandal-spreads-to-the-navys-nuclear-fleet-in-charleston-sc/

It was limited to staff members in watch supervisor quals. AFAIK limited to only one of the prototypes, with the majority on one crew.

Saturn889
Jul 13, 2014

Brancer posted:

God drat it, too many students do that. They go get that 600 a month jetta because they have ghost credit, then park it because they can't afford to go anywhere in it.

Ghost credit is best credit

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost
Had a chat with my TC today.

"I get it; it's tough here. You work long hours, and I respect that. But like... gently caress you."
- :chiefsay:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
The guy that got me into the Navy was a nuke. Picked up for STA-21 after prototype, went to college for 3 years, threw his last oral exam for nuke before commissioning and bit the bullet for the country by agreeing to be a fighter pilot instead.

all 1%ers must hang

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

KetTarma posted:

what do you want to do?

Downtown naturally has most of the unique stuff to do but the North Charleston area has pretty much every big box retailer/every chain restaurant. Summerville has a small downtown district with a few bars. Goose Creek isnt anything to write home about but it's still like any other town. If I was wanting easy access to downtown, I'd live in West Ashley. In fact, I did that for a year. It was about a 45 minute commute to work and 10 minutes to downtown.

FWIW, 1200 will get you about 800 square feet downtown in the cheap part. You could probably safely bike to the good parts though. Plus you'll pass by the strip clubs along the route! In West Ashley, that'll get you a 3 story townhouse.

Looks like you can get a small 1 bedroom at The Radcliffe House - 61 Vanderhorst Street for 700$/month in the college district of downtown. You'd definitely be looking at an hour commute though since you'll have downtown traffic, 526/26 interchange traffic, north Charleston traffic, and base traffic. The bright side is that you'll be right next to College of Charleston.

Just remember that you might be putting in 14-16 hour days trying to pass nuke school... or you might breeze through with only 9 or 10. Who knows? I would still suggest living in North Charleston since it'll be a lot better quality of life if you end up not being a superstar student. I think the average time spent in the classroom is 12 hours a day but my data is both dated and mainly for enlisted.

If you have any Charleston questions, PM me. I've lived here for 6 years now.

Thanks for this info. I'm not in the navy, but I'm going to go to power school starting in January to work for a defense contractor, and I have no clue where to live.

e: How does it usually go with civilians in power school? Should I expect to be the only civilian in class?

Tom Toddlesworth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 21, 2014

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Thanks for this info. I'm not in the navy, but I'm going to go to power school starting in January to work for a defense contractor, and I have no clue where to live.

e: How does it usually go with civilians in power school? Should I expect to be the only civilian in class?

Civilians go to school with the officers. I've typically seen a 3-5 in a class if there are any at all. It seems they put civilians in class together rather than one per class, but ymmv. I'd definitely live away from Goose Creek, either DT or in West Ashley. Goose Creek sucks and will taint your perception of South Carolina. Downtown is awesome though, and be sure to get out and try the food.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Downtown or Mount P. Stay out of West Trashley.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Depending on how quickly you take to classroom instruction I'd recommend as close to Charleston as possible. Civilians and officers aren't mandated hours as far as I can remember, so provided you understand whats going on living in Charleston would be ideal provided you don't have a family or anything. Mount pleasant would be alright if you have kids and need a larger home/yard area/ whatever, but outside of those requirements I would live in Charleston for sure.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Depending on how quickly you take to classroom instruction I'd recommend as close to Charleston as possible. Civilians and officers aren't mandated hours as far as I can remember, so provided you understand whats going on living in Charleston would be ideal provided you don't have a family or anything. Mount pleasant would be alright if you have kids and need a larger home/yard area/ whatever, but outside of those requirements I would live in Charleston for sure.

I've already got a degree in nuclear engineering, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the classroom stuff. Commuting an hour to work every day sounds like a nightmare, but it still might be worth it to live in Charleston. Thanks for all the advice!

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

krispykremessuck posted:

Downtown or Mount P. Stay out of West Trashley.

Unless you are going to the early bird diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Live in goose creek or even base housing cause you will spend so much time at Power School that long commute will get real old real quick. Prototype is even worse. Had guys in my officer power school class who lived downtown and their life was miserable having to wake up at 0430 to beat the traffic or study before a 0700 exam.

Officer do have mandated study hours if your GPA is below 3.0 first 12 weeks and 2.8 latter half. It can be anywhere from 20 to 25 depending on your class director. Most students average 15-16 anyways, so 20 isn't that bad. Prototype is worse if you didn't have to study that much at power school cause it's 12 hours mandatory per day. If you're ahead of the "curve" you can get reduced hours (typically just a couple of hours off) but you will quickly fall behind the curve.

Bottom line: Live closer cause you will spend poo poo ton of hours at school/NPTU.

• Locked thread