Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I hug grown up nukes all the time. I'll dare say that I greet most of my coworkers with hugs. We're a very cuddly crew.

Hey Mana, heard anything about the hurricane survival mooring? I really dont want to go out and buy my own frozen dinners to bring to work since I'm on the list of people to man the submarine if we have to float it downriver.

When I joined, I thought nukes were something like missile techs.

You mean nukes don't work on missiles?
I guess I'm not going to cross rate now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Nah, but we were sort of wondering what happened with the MTS's when that sort of thing happened. That sounds like a total bitch. Up here, Charleston is some sort of parallel universe... everyone wonders and makes wild speculations about what you guys do. Of course, we wonder about what goes on in our own plant, too, so maybe we're loving retarded.

I know we have some sort of snowstorm contingency plan up here for when we get 5 feet of snow and nobody can leave for days on end.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
What kind of math do you learn while going through the nuke program and is there a lot of it?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jacco posted:

What kind of math do you learn while going through the nuke program and is there a lot of it?

uh, you learn very basic algebra and something that is supposed to resemble pre-calc, but really doesn't.

As long as you can re-arrange equations to solve for 'X' you'll be fine.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jacco posted:

I'm awful at math and only went up to Algebra 2 in high school and found the math to be pretty easy.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
This place is hilarious.

"Ok, you've got OPRE in two weeks."

o shi

"Sir, you wouldn't happen to know when I will be standing my first EOOW, would you"

"Don't worry about it, we'll make sure it happens."

They are confident that we will be graduating in two months. I am confident that I am hosed. Oh well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You are about to find the magic. The magic which is the gray side of the job. Suddenly you will have been standing watch with someone without knowing it and poo poo will be signed off.

Tonedeff
Apr 14, 2008
My recruiter told me something today about Nuke-A and Nuke-B. She says the difference is that A's autoqualify for nuke (according to ASVAB scores) while B's didn't. But for the life of me i can't find any info on this anywhere. I just want to know if this is BS or not because, according to this recruiter, the navy isn't accepting Nuke-B's which sucks for me :/

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tonedeff posted:

My recruiter told me something today about Nuke-A and Nuke-B. She says the difference is that A's autoqualify for nuke (according to ASVAB scores) while B's didn't. But for the life of me i can't find any info on this anywhere. I just want to know if this is BS or not because, according to this recruiter, the navy isn't accepting Nuke-B's which sucks for me :/

It's been a while since I enlisted but I've never heard about Nuke-A or Nuke-B. Sounds like bullshit to me. You have to get a certain score on your ASVAB to be a nuke, and then after that if you're below a certain level (90 I think) you have to take the NFQT qualifying exam.

What was your ASVAB score?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Tonedeff posted:

What belt said. Considering how undermanned nuke always is, I find it hard to believe that they aren't accepting people. Although, there -is- a pretty long graduation hold between schools due to so many people backed up in the pipeline.

Tonedeff
Apr 14, 2008

belt posted:

It's been a while since I enlisted but I've never heard about Nuke-A or Nuke-B. Sounds like bullshit to me. You have to get a certain score on your ASVAB to be a nuke, and then after that if you're below a certain level (90 I think) you have to take the NFQT qualifying exam.

What was your ASVAB score?

I scored a 90. Missed auto qualifying by only a few points.

Tonedeff
Apr 14, 2008

KetTarma posted:

What belt said. Considering how undermanned nuke always is, I find it hard to believe that they aren't accepting people. Although, there -is- a pretty long graduation hold between schools due to so many people backed up in the pipeline.

That makes sense now that i think about it. I was just bugging out because i couldn't find any info on what she was talking about

Technophile
Aug 5, 2010

Hugging monitors since 1743

http://www.navycs.com/navy-nuclear-power-test.html posted:

The Navy Advanced Programs Test (NAPT) is a two-hour, United States Navy, supplementary test for potential Nuclear Field (NF) Program applicants who do not qualify based solely on ASVAB line scores. You must meet at least one of the following line score combinations to qualify;

VE+AR+MK+MC+NAPT=290
AR+MK+EI+GS+NAPT=290
VE+AR+MK+MC>252
AR+MK+EI+GS>252

Just thought this might be helpful to anyone looking to qualify for Nuke, like me.. :downs:

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Technophile posted:

Just thought this might be helpful to anyone looking to qualify for Nuke, like me.. :downs:

Good luck! Just be careful what you wish for.

gcroix
Mar 17, 2006
Started out a nuke, flunked out of prototype. Was bitter about it for about two years, then realized that it was a good thing. I only met two or three nukes that really enjoyed it. Wound up working in cryogenics, liked it.

Met two nukes that like it, not 'bet.'

gcroix fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 29, 2010

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

gcroix posted:

Started out a nuke, flunked out of prototype. Was bitter about it for about two years, then realized that it was a good thing. I only bet two or three nukes that really enjoyed it. Wound up working in cryogenics, liked it.

That actually sounds like a phenomenal trade up.

Technophile
Aug 5, 2010

Hugging monitors since 1743

SpaceJustice posted:

Good luck! Just be careful what you wish for.

Chances are I won't qualify based on my asvab line scores, but maybe, we'll see. There are a few other rates which look appealing to me.

edit: according to my recruiter I'm unfit to join anyway :ohdear:

Technophile fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 30, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
loving buy him a beer and go to the coast guard.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

gcroix posted:

Started out a nuke, flunked out of prototype. Was bitter about it for about two years, then realized that it was a good thing. I only met two or three nukes that really enjoyed it. Wound up working in cryogenics, liked it.

Met two nukes that like it, not 'bet.'

Were you on the Carl Vinson? If so, I think I stood watch with you sometimes.

Foursaken
Nov 30, 2010

Intrepid Spirit
I was in the navy for almost 10 years.

After nuke school, I was on the commissioning crew for the USS Jimmy Carter. Lots of neat stuff that I can't share about special projects during those 5 years.

I did my last 40 months as an instructor at the prototype in Ballston Spa, NY. It was an interesting tour. The most frightening thing from my time there involved sea-returnee staff. As it turns out, when the navy changed the training program back in 2002 to use pre-printed fill-in-the-blank notes, and power points, the quality of the students getting sent to the fleet also diminished a litte. Once we started getting these individuals back to prototype (now that everyone pre-screens for instructor duty) we were at a noticeable disadvantage. We had several individuals who we could not trust to stand watch with a student unsupervised for the first 18-20 months on site. They spent half their tour being effectively useless as staff. We had an electrician staff member who couldn't explain "house curves" on his qual board.

Let it be said my faith in the training pipeline is diminishing slightly.

One good thing was that I managed to finish my BS in Nuclear Engineering from RPI before the RPI / NAVY satalite program was cancelled.

At any rate, I left the navy last year about this time. I now work in QC in the nuclear industry. Jobs are slow right now as all those individuals that were planning to retire changed their plans when the economy tanked. So now I am just waiting for the old timers to move along. I'll be in the next SRO class they open.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Poppin' to represent the coners here... USS Greeneville, Providence now....

Epikhigh
Apr 4, 2009
Anyone here based on the sub Sunfish through 1986 - 1989?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Foursaken posted:

Let it be said my faith in the training pipeline is diminishing slightly.

I've heard from people that the New York prototype, specifically, is bad. Don't lose all faith!

Also, in addition to powerpoint, all tests are now being administered on bright, eye-searing pink paper. :v:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Tests are done on green paper. Test answer keys are neon pink. The more you know!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I've only talked to a navy recruiter a little bit, and as soon as he found out my asvab scores he was pushing nuke on me. I've been looking into it a little bit and had some questions.

How easy is it to go in as enlisted and then become an officer? (HS Diploma, no college)

What is basic like other than people will hate me?

How much were you able to put into savings each month considering you weren't out spending it all?

What is working on a sub like?

What is working on an aircraft carrier like?

Why did the beginning of this thread begin with a positive outlook on nukes and has started trending downwards into statements like "be careful what you wish for"? (please elaborate on your experiences)

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

I've only talked to a navy recruiter a little bit, and as soon as he found out my asvab scores he was pushing nuke on me. I've been looking into it a little bit and had some questions.

How easy is it to go in as enlisted and then become an officer? (HS Diploma, no college)

How much were you able to put into savings each month considering you weren't out spending it all?

Why did the beginning of this thread begin with a positive outlook on nukes and has started trending downwards into statements like "be careful what you wish for"? (please elaborate on your experiences)

I'd also like to hear the answers to these questions.

I'm about to graduate with a B.A. in Physics and it doesn't look like my grades are good enough to get into graduate school (that, and I'm starting to think that might not be the best track for me). Additionally it appears to be pretty hard to get a job doing something at least somewhat science-related.

Since I'll already have a degree, I'm wondering how going nuke as an officer would work (after doing OCS and all).

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

MonkeyFit posted:

I hated all the nukes in basic because people got me confused with being one. There are 2 types of nukes in basic, smart nukes people that have legit intelligence, and the other kind you know the recruiter just got them to go nuke by impressing them with fancy words and telling them how smart they are. None of the later type in my boot camp division made it past A-School, you could tell that early.

Working on a sub, you will be hosed everyday you are on board, by your peers, LPO, duty section, engineer, EDMC, chief and still have to suffer though being mocked by coners. There is not one nuke at my command that has any positive insight to the navy, or much desire to reenlist. That being said, most of the nukes are very intelligent and are more than willing to help with most anything you need help with.

Elaborating on what I see everyday that makes it horrible. Long work days in comparison to everyone else, 3 section duty, port and starboard watches, massive amounts of maintinence, massive amounts of training, insane amounts of testing, insane amounts of qualifications, divisional drama, dealing with coners, dealing with khakis.

Edit: Also, being a nuke JO is one of the most miserable experiences on this earth.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll answer some questions from my point of view as a 6 and out ETN second class turned civilian nuke.

MonkeyFit posted:

When I went through it was really easy for people to get into the academy out of A school and power school. As far as the other commissioning programs, there was a lot less chance of success so I wouldn't bank on them at all.

Basic was easy (and I hear it's even easier now). Keep your mouth shut, do what you're told and don't volunteer for poo poo (everything you do in boot camp will mean nothing when you get out of boot camp).

Are you still talking about in boot camp? I guess I had a couple grand in the bank when I got out. If you mean in general when I was in the Navy, deployments were awesome because I'd be able to put aside a bunch of cash, usually in the neighborhood from 6-10k

Depends, if you're qualified senior-in-rate life can be pretty easy. Until you qualify (takes anywhere from a year to 2 years depending on the person) it will probably suck a lot. And it's pretty subjective to the kind of command you are working for. As an ET qualified senior-in-rate I would stand 5 hours of watch a day and usually do a couple hours of maintenance, the rest of the time was mine. I got really good at 16 player Halo and read a poo poo ton of books. Non-quals would do all the cleaning and super lovely stuff. That was until I started taking on positions of responsibility, then it started to suck again.

As a nuke you're going to have to put up with a lot of bullshit. You'll have to take tests all the time, you'll be held to much higher training standards (in regards to academics) than any other enlisted rate in the Navy. And while non-nukes will have you believe that you are making a ton of money you're not really getting paid that much more than any other rate. You have to remember that the payoff for being a nuke doesn't really come until you get out of the Navy. Even if you don't want to work at a civilian reactor it'll be very easy to find a decent paying job. When I got out I received a lot of offers starting at about 50-70k non nuke jobs and 60-90k in nuke jobs. That said if you reenlist as a nuke and don't plan on making it a career you are loving yourself. If you are planning on making it a career, there are a lot of easier paths to take than nuclear power.

If I had the choice to make again, I'd still join the Navy and I'd still be a nuke.

belt fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 9, 2011

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ten_twentyfour posted:

I'm about to graduate with a B.A. in Physics

Relating to that, the recruiter told me my training would get me within about 15 credit hours of a bachelors degree. Is there any truth to that, and if so, exactly which degree is it?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

ten_twentyfour posted:

I'd also like to hear the answers to these questions.

I'm about to graduate with a B.A. in Physics and it doesn't look like my grades are good enough to get into graduate school (that, and I'm starting to think that might not be the best track for me). Additionally it appears to be pretty hard to get a job doing something at least somewhat science-related.

Since I'll already have a degree, I'm wondering how going nuke as an officer would work (after doing OCS and all).

If you have a GPA >3.0 overall and good grades in your major, it's a good shot. I've seen people with sub-3.0 GPAs get in, even. The real kicker is how your math/physics grades look and how well you do on the interview.

This blog seems to have some good links on getting through the interviews. I'm not sure how the application process for NUPOC/OCS goes, you'll have to get in touch with a recruiter about that, I guess.

As for how it goes, depends on what you do. You can go surface or sub nuke; sub nukes go to power school after OCS but you'll sit on your hands for some time.

MonkeyFit posted:

Relating to that, the recruiter told me my training would get me within about 15 credit hours of a bachelors degree. Is there any truth to that, and if so, exactly which degree is it?

Really depends on what college. The subjects are all over the place; for officer power school, I've heard up to 60 credit hours in a masters in nuclear engineering, but it all depends on the place. For enlisted power school, don't know, but it's likely at least that much, though likely spread out among math, physics, and engineering.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 9, 2011

camino
Feb 23, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

Either Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State University. Both of them have programs set up for nukes, but they're both online degrees. If you get out and want to work in nuclear power, they're good options. Otherwise you used to be able to get a degree from RPI near NY prototype, but I think they did away with that.

Otherwise the credits aren't that useful. I wound up getting credit for physics, physical education, algebra, and about 60 credits for "electrical electives" at my college. It wasn't extremely useful, but it's better than nothing.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

camino posted:

Either Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State University. Both of them have programs set up for nukes, but they're both online degrees. If you get out and want to work in nuclear power, they're good options. Otherwise you used to be able to get a degree from RPI near NY prototype, but I think they did away with that.

Otherwise the credits aren't that useful. I wound up getting credit for physics, physical education, algebra, and about 60 credits for "electrical electives" at my college. It wasn't extremely useful, but it's better than nothing.

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering major at a major public university and I can verify that nuke school credits are loving worthless unless you get one of those "degrees" from Thomas Edison or the like. Everything regarding engineering in a university is calculus based which makes you poo poo out of luck pretty much. I had 130 credits on the SMART transcript, university "took" 64 but none were actually applied to my degree plan except MAYBE some speech credits if I can sweet talk the adviser enough.

Even the math credits were useless because I had already placed into precal(lol it had been 7 years ok) before I started classes. So yeah, pretty much worthless.

The actual concepts you learn in nuke school are fairly simple, its the sheer amount of poo poo you have to learn and memorize that is difficult.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MonkeyFit posted:

A better choice may be to go ROTC and get a degree for real, coming in as an officer.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

grover posted:

A better choice may be to go ROTC and get a degree for real, coming in as an officer.

Not really gonna happen. I don't think my high school grades are good enough to get a scholarship, I wasn't in ROTC in high school, and the point of me joining the military is to get a college degree out of it. That's my main reason for joining.

Speaking of which, how much time do nukes find themselves with to do college courses?

How long are nukes usually out at sea? (rough estimate is fine)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

MonkeyFit posted:

Not really gonna happen. I don't think my high school grades are good enough to get a scholarship, I wasn't in ROTC in high school, and the point of me joining the military is to get a college degree out of it. That's my main reason for joining.

Speaking of which, how much time do nukes find themselves with to do college courses?

It doesn't matter if you weren't in JROTC in high school. (If you were wondering.)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Carriers: 6-10 months at sea, 6 months not, some months of shipyard, some months of periodic sea, repeat. FYI, shipyard sucks horribly for nukes.

Attack Submarines: Above except generally no more than 6 months straight at sea. I think.
Boomers: 3 months out, 3 months in, repeat forever.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MonkeyFit posted:

There's not a whole ton of time for pursuing a college degree as a submariner unless you're on a boomer. Additionally the type of nuke you are will affect how much free time you have either in port or at sea.

If you really want a college degree while you're in then my advice is to not be an electrician.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

MonkeyFit posted:

If you want to sell your soul then keep your poo poo together and apply for an officer program the first chance you get once you get out of boot. When I went through the pipeline the nukes got picked up for officer programs quite often. Even once you're on your boat you'll have a chance to continue to apply for these programs.

Time at sea is pretty much what has already been said. Fast attacks will go out for more frequent if shorter periods than a carrier due to food limitations. Otherwise we follow the carrier on deployments (unless otherwise specified :ninja: ). I think the percentage is anywhere from 60-80% at sea.

Also the nuke field counts for poo poo towards a degree once you get out unless you go through an online or tech school (not sure on the tech school tbh). Don't blow off the possibility of ROTC unless you know for a FACT that you won't be accepted. Or any other military programs for that matter.

I had fun as a nuke submariner (EM). The job still sucked, but I had good people for a few years to offset that.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once
I got into DEP around May 24th last year. Still waiting to ship for boot camp (March 3). I think the worst part of this was the wait. I was really hyped up to go during the last summer but the wait has psyched me out some. Any good motivation tactics for a future sailor about to go NF?

Also, at least in the zone I'm in, DEP Recruits have to have all the drat things checked off (Sailor's Creed, all that jazz) before they leave. The recruiters now handle it with a "cancel-contract" if you don't do it. Not a problem for me, but just saying for the people that aren't free-loading kids going into the Navy that work two jobs, have a kid, and are married, you don't get a lot of time to mess with that junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

It's a bit harder to get a ROTC scholarship nowadays unless you're an engineering major due to funding, but still doable. Don't rule it out. Alternatively, if you don't mind the extra commitment, consider enlisting and trying to go STA-21/Academy after nuke school, like Deget said. I know a bunch of people who did that and it's a pretty sweet deal.

• Locked thread