Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

The news people don't know what the gently caress, and are just being confusing. They've definitely lost at least one reactor, but it doesn't sound like there's a serious leak or anything. Kind of pissed this nuke stuff is overshadowing all the other news.

Probably like a three mile island situation, except TMI was vastly overexaggerated by the media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
http://nei.org/newsandevents/information-on-the-japanese-earthquake-and-reactors-in-that-region/

Read this.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I found it quite amusing that the nuke plants having issues made for headline news, but the massive fires from oil and gas storage plants igniting were no more than a footnote. I mean there were pictures of houses that were floating down the streets while on fire: A tiny little bit of radiation is not comparable.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Here's the GBS thread about the Fukushima situation if anyone is interested. The OP has some great information.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Static Dynamics
Feb 7, 2004

We need technology for tomorrow's battlefield, like the laser that sets mile-wide skull-shaped fires.
I toured the RC on duty today and probably got more exposure than anyone in Japan will get.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
I'm more concerned about fallout from the stupid cloud than I am about radiation from Japan's reactors. There should be a powerpoint that can be pulled out to help explain to the regular ignorant population what the hell is really going on.

Yes, I said powerpoint. Deal.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The vented primary plant gasses that are radioactive do not create "fallout" as no residue is left behind. Also, it will disperse throughout the entire planet to be completely, completely harmless.

Same idea as how people in Japan cant smell your fart.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

KetTarma posted:

The vented primary plant gasses that are radioactive do not create "fallout" as no residue is left behind. Also, it will disperse throughout the entire planet to be completely, completely harmless.

Same idea as how people in Japan cant smell your fart.

Someday when I write something it will be nice and clearly stated the first time around. I was referring to the cloud of stupid that rises whenever the nuclear devil comes up.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
I'm pretty excited to be in nuke school. I know it gets harder and I know it sucks, but the instructors are good, my SLPO is awesome, and the material isn't too bad...there is just a lot of it (Power School and Prototype get into the cubic fucktons of material)

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Got to tour 635 at the end of my first week in prototype. Only six more weeks til on-crew hooray!

Also it sure is fun having to explain to everyone I know that we're not all gonna die. :derp:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm going to give you the best piece of advice I can give to an offcrew student: go to the boat as often as possible. Offcrew is a complete waste of time. You'll report to crew and have no clue where any equipment is located, where the meters/gages are, where the valve to turn or button to push is, etc and will fail watches as a result.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

It's okay. I know this ship like the back of my hand.

In all seriousness, I plan to, especially if it's easier to get checkouts done up forward.

Gimcrack
Oct 9, 2007

Ferretts posted:

So I have orders to a Bangor boat due for refueling next year. I've spoken to returnee staff who've been through similar and the consensus seemed to be "You will want to kill yourself."

My SE, knowing my interests are more in engineering than operations, thought that I might actually benefit more from the shipyard.

My sponsor on the boat mentioned there might be room in another boat's wardroom should I put in for a transfer.

I'm a soon to qualify (plant willing) MARF EOOW student, and I'd appreciate any info/guidance anyone has related to 2+yrs of refueling shipyard duty (bonus points for Bremerton).

What boat are you going to? I saw some officers are showing up from NY soon to mine..

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For those of you about to transfer to shore duty, and the detailer says to you "Hey, I was able to find a spot at NRMD Norfolk" do not think to yourself "Oh wow, my lucky break has finally come!".
Just to let you know NRMD Norfolk is undermanned and we go on deployments for about 3-4 months out of the year to a sub tender. The rest of the time can range from bad to pretty good though, but the deployment is just a huge bummer. If anyone has questions about NRMD in general though I can probably give you good answers for the Norfolk location, and probably some general ones about other NRMD locations though. I also guess if anyone has questions about those huge, rusty, piles of poo poo sub tenders I can speak on that too.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
There's a tender in the US still? Last I knew Italy/Guam only....unless they fly y'all out to deploy and/or I'm retarded

Also I heard tenders usually get a ton of ports....true or no? Still wouldn't want to be at sea no matter the circumstances especially on fuckin shore duty

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

There is a tender in Guam, it pretty much doesn't leave. It goes underway only enough to maintain quals as far as I Know. We fly away to the tender that used to be in Italy. It goes under way about once a quarter or so. The tender is stationed in DGAR now though. Funny thing is, work day is way better when underway, so the time I have spent there I was hoping we would get underway. The subtenders also have hybrid crews. The Emory S. Land has half Navy, half MSC crew. The Frank Cable is headed towards the same too as far as I know. It is strange being underway with a lot of civilian types. They get paid every time there is an announcement on the 1mc after 2000, so taps is at 2000.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

sectoidman posted:

What about Anatoli Bugorski, the guy who got a ~3000 Sv dose to the brain from sticking his head in a running particle accelerator? As I understand it, the brain isn't terribly sensitive to radiation, but he didn't die or even get the normal symptoms of radiation sickness, and indeed went on to complete his PhD (though he does still occasionally have seizures).
He sticks he head in a particle accelerator and survives ~ 300x a normally lethal dose of radiation, yet wants us to believe his only superpowers are seizures and tinnitus?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

If you haven't added something about needing Top Secret clearance to be even considered to be a nuke to your post (I did not see it) I would recommend doing so. I tried going in to be a nuke around 2009, had the qualifying ASVAB score (91), but due to my poor financial outlook, the whole reason I was going in (I'm a civilian nuke engineering student now), they denied me because I could not pass the "financial" side of things.

read: I was heavy in collections debt due to very little fault of my own.

I do have a friend who was in Goose Creek not too long ago, he told me it was pretty intense.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

TheShazbot posted:

If you haven't added something about needing Top Secret clearance to be even considered to be a nuke to your post (I did not see it) I would recommend doing so. I tried going in to be a nuke around 2009, had the qualifying ASVAB score (91), but due to my poor financial outlook, the whole reason I was going in (I'm a civilian nuke engineering student now), they denied me because I could not pass the "financial" side of things.

You do not have to screen for a top secret clearance. Also, the DOE requires clearances for civilian nuke (research "q" clearances) too.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Sounds like I just got screwed then, the recruiter/MEPS where I was going in (Omaha) told me I couldn't get clearance due to collections. Sorry if my confusion or whatever makes me look like an rear end in a top hat, that happens.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
You still need a secret man I doubt he was trying to screw you over

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

moker posted:

You still need a secret man I doubt he was trying to screw you over

This is true, it took me a bit to actually get in (leaving in only 28 days yay) because they had to make sure my debt was low enough for the secret.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

You have to screen for secret due to submarines. If you don't end up on a sub, you downgrade to confidential/rd/nnpi.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

You have to screen for secret due to submarines. If you don't end up on a sub, you downgrade to confidential/rd/nnpi.

So thats why that rear end in a top hat master chief from reactor tried to get my clearance revoked when he found out I was a former nuke(I don't know the rules but man that guy was an rear end in a top hat)

Sort of on that topic but do y'all know what is involved in getting cleared for working at a civilian nuke plant? I've been to psychologists(never taken medication) and poo poo before and had a DUI, no debt or anything

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 2, 2011

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

moker posted:

So thats why that rear end in a top hat master chief from reactor tried to get my clearance revoked when he found out I was a former nuke(I don't know the rules but man that guy was an rear end in a top hat)

Sort of on that topic but do y'all know what is involved in getting cleared for working at a civilian nuke plant? I've been to psychologists(never taken medication) and poo poo before and had a DUI, no debt or anything

It's a process that's not totally different than the Navy. You'll fill out the same kind of paperwork about your past and they'll run it. After that you'll do a psychological test where you answer 100 or so stupid questions like, "Have you ever wanted to kill your father/sleep with your mother." And if you're applying to be either an operator or some of your answers don't sit well you'll have to talk to a psychologist about it.

I don't know how much the psychologist visits will play into your application but I had a DUI myself and I got cleared. The biggest thing is just being honest about everything.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Today was sucky. I worked on the battery today at the start of my watch and got a little diluted acid on me. The potable water system is down due to e. coli contamination. I sat on watch for 8 hours with an awesome itching sensation without being able to wash myself off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Go hug your new asian girlfriend.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ferretts posted:

So I have orders to a Bangor boat due for refueling next year. I've spoken to returnee staff who've been through similar and the consensus seemed to be "You will want to kill yourself."

My SE, knowing my interests are more in engineering than operations, thought that I might actually benefit more from the shipyard.

My sponsor on the boat mentioned there might be room in another boat's wardroom should I put in for a transfer.

I'm a soon to qualify (plant willing) MARF EOOW student, and I'd appreciate any info/guidance anyone has related to 2+yrs of refueling shipyard duty (bonus points for Bremerton).

The only good place to be on Bremerton is the Stennis.

Other than that, it is quite possibly one of the worst places on Earth.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

KetTarma posted:

Today was sucky. I worked on the battery today at the start of my watch and got a little diluted acid on me. The potable water system is down due to e. coli contamination. I sat on watch for 8 hours with an awesome itching sensation without being able to wash myself off.

Learn to read the MSDS n00b.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The only good place to be on Bremerton is the Stennis.

Other than that, it is quite possibly one of the worst places on Earth.

Norfolk rated pretty low for me.

Coming in pretty late, OP, but I was on the TR from 2004-2008 in M-div...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I was thinking about joining the navy nuke program, but then I saw the postings about debt. The whole reason I was thinking about joining the military was primarily financial, but I have an unpaid bill from a semester of college on my credit report. Last I checked it was ~$15,000. Should I expect to not get security clearance?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Harmburger posted:

I was thinking about joining the navy nuke program, but then I saw the postings about debt. The whole reason I was thinking about joining the military was primarily financial, but I have an unpaid bill from a semester of college on my credit report. Last I checked it was ~$15,000. Should I expect to not get security clearance?

You should expect a long delay in attaining it. As for whether you'll receive it, I'm not sure. The fact that the sign-up bonus will pay most of that off might help.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Harmburger posted:

I dunno, but bring it up before you go to MEPS or Boot Camp. I didn't have any problems getting my clearance, but I let it fly at boot that I was 30gs in the red from college, and they told me to pick again.

I mean, it turned out to be the best thing ever, but YMMV.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

During UNITAS, our evaporator took a poo poo, and we went almost 2 weeks without showers. At least the still was (barely) working, so we weren't completely up poo poo's creek.

A UNITAS is both awesome (got to see South America, crossed the equator, Panama Canal, & Straits of Magellan) and lovely (no shore power, evap poo poo the bed twice, 6-month ORSE workup :toot:). But hey, the coners got plenty of time off. :argh:

edit: former MM2/SS welder checking in

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 13, 2011

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

One of my buddies has the best submarine story:

They were getting supplis in Guam when the supply officer sees that the 500 units of meat were half off. Thinking that he got a good deal, he spends the leftover budget on candy.

Halfway out, they realize that the meat was ordered in 2 lb units instead of 5 lb units. They're on station so they can't just turn around. Also, the breadmaker broke and they were using a portable home kitchen model. The ship goes on bread and water rationining for the rest of the patrol. My friend says he lost 20 lbs by the time they pulled back in.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We ended up throwing a way a lot of meat when one of our freezers failed. The sharks feasted that day.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

edit: former MM2/SS welder checking in

sup welder buddy!!!!

oh my god if they were ever forced to rely on me operating that piece of poo poo welder we had we would've all died

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Someone sent me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4D3RJ3j5ac&feature=player_embedded#t=1s

Its your room narrated by a typical nuke.

Mr. Doom-Baddy
Sep 15, 2007
Doom and Bad--All at Once

KetTarma posted:

Someone sent me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4D3RJ3j5ac&feature=player_embedded#t=1s

Its your room narrated by a typical nuke.

That sounds like my Friday today. Not allowed to leave base. NNPTC is so boring during liberty.

The Rickover steals souls, as they say.

But anyways, I'm hereee and just finished my 3rd week of school (well 2nd if you don't count the week of briefs about the same stuff you already learned in Boot Camp... don't worry, they remind you of it every few months).

I'm a SN (going for ET, duh).

I've heard the MM pipeline is particularly backed up due to the Prototype (the ones up in Ballston Spa?) are having issues. Is this true or is it actually applied to all three rates?

Mr. Doom-Baddy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

There is a huge backup for prototype because all of them are old as poo poo and they require maintenance shutdowns pretty constantly. One of the ones in SC is getting towed to Norfolk for repairs.

Also, theres absolutely no leeway given for "I forgot all of power school because I was on hold." Few things annoy us more than students that show up as though we'd picked up random people off of the street. It's really hard to teach someone how to operate a reactor whenever they don't know what one is.

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 4, 2011

• Locked thread