Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torvec
Sep 17, 2007
Potential Nuke here with a question or two.

First off, I say potentially because so far all I've done is take the ASVAB and somehow, without studying or doing any real preparation what-so-ever got a high enough score to even be considered for the Nuclear program (my AFQT score was a 95). Keep in mind I'm 23 and haven't been in school since I graduated HS in 2005.

However, I still have to take the NFQT/NAPT because the sum of my scores on these individual tests from the ASVAB: VE+AR+MK+MC or AR+MK+EI+GS, didn't add up to 252 (I got 251). My recruiter is currently trying to set up that test for me now, and oddly enough when I asked him what was on the test he said it was classified. Though from what I've gathered online it's just some multiple choice test about basic Algebra, Physics, Chemistry, and some other stuff I think.

Honestly, this field couldn't be any more different than what I've been working in for the last 5 or so years (Website Development), and that is part of the reason I want to go this route in the Navy (that and I'm tired of being a freelance website developer). The other reason is that everyone keeps saying this field is quite possibly the most challenging rating (aside from the SEALS I think) and honestly I feel like I could use a real challenge after all these years. I guess part of me is still a little apprehensive about the whole thing, but I am ready to do what I need to do to get through it all since there really isn't anything out here for me anymore.

Quick question, once you go through your schooling and are ready to join the fleet, what determines if you're going to be on a Carrier or a Sub? Do you actually get to choose or is it another one of those "Needs of the Navy" situations? Which is better to be on Sub or Carrier?

Moloch posted:

What's the age cutoff for getting into one of these programs? When I was 19 I took the asvab and they were pushing nuke on me, but I was a dumb kid and had my head up my rear end. I'm nearly 26 now, and if my last career option falls through I'd like to go back and try this out.

From what I've read you can't be older than 24 to enlist into the program.

Also, here is a good place for info on the Nuclear Program (and basically any military related job if you look through the rest of the site):

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/nuclear.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torvec
Sep 17, 2007
Since I last posted in this thread, I've gone through the wonderful experience that is MEPS--multiple times (and each time on little to no sleep). I took the NAPT and passed it (still haven't been told my actual score yet). Got my Juvenile records pulled to see if I had a record (I don't) and I submitted my waiver for that one D I got in my freshman year of high school for Algebra.

Everything seemed fine until at the last possible moment I get told that they aren't accepting any waivers at this time for Nukes. I'm still eligible to get in but I have to wait for them to start accepting waivers again. To top it off, I was supposed to go to MEPS tomorrow but the CNRD (I think that's what it was called) got flooded out since it's located in Tennessee and they can't assign jobs because of it. Thanks mother nature.

I swear when this whole process is over I'm going to either be the most cynical man in the world or the most patient. Or both, no reason I can't have the best of both worlds.

By the way, my recruiter keeps telling me that if I sign up for any other active duty job/reserves I can get it re-classed to Nuke without any issues. He's not BS'ing me is he?

Torvec
Sep 17, 2007
EDIT: Ignore this, turns out I'm probably not going to continue to pursue the Nuke program after all as I've already sworn in as an AECF and I think I'll just go with that instead.

LonsomeSon posted:

Oh, yeah, that's totally legit, thousands of recruiters totally haven't used the same line to gently caress over the planned military service of tens of thousands of servicemembers.

((At the end of your contract you can reenlist to re-class but it varys from hard to loving impossible to do so during your term depending on your command; don't listen to that bullshit and stick to your guns for the job you want.))

KetTarma posted:

Yes. There is no such thing as a nuke field reservist. If you ship to bootcamp with x job, it is what you will be doing 99% of the time.

No I meant getting re-classed while still in the DEP, not after I've already shipped to Basic. The reason they keep telling me to do this is that apparently if I'm already in the DEP they can re-class me without having to go back down to MEPS (they said they can just fax the necessary papers to/from the recruiters office). Or is THAT a bunch of bullshit?

This of course is assuming the Nuke program opens up for me sometime in between me swearing in to the DEP and when I actually ship out. I'm pretty drat sure that if I do sign up for a job the ship date will be months out anyway.

Torvec fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2010

• Locked thread