Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
Does anyone know how well our job stuff translates into other, generic "defense contractor" stuff? I ask because I got contacted by Triple Canopy about a job working OM&IS (logistics) for them. I'm not sure if I got the call because they figure one vet is the same as another, or if i actually have something they want.

I'm tempted to do it, not just because of the salary, but because between that and the political stuff I've gotten involved in, it could be very helpful if I ever went back to work in the defense/DC area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot

flux_core posted:

I just spoke to a DoD employed engineer who told me, predictably, to be a contractor.

Then he went further into detail, apparently nukes in the navy do nothing but maintain everything, despite being trained to do all but design one themselves from scratch, and basically end up babysitting a reactor while under a pile of paperwork.

Ouch.
sounds about right, yeah

quote:

Is there any actual R&D done by the military itself anymore?
They do some stuff at Ballston Spa. When I was up there they had emptied out D1G to start testing something new there. Rumor was it was a mini reactor for NASA. I like to tell myself that smokepad rumor was true, but it was probably something like testing the efficiency of a different ELT chemical concentration or something similarly boring.

• Locked thread