Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question, how much math+science do I need to know, I know as of now Calculus and Calculus based Physics, but would I need to say grab a book on AC/DC circuits and analysis, anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

I'm bumping this thread to ask the fine gentlemen of this thread, re, meltdowns, I know we don't have them, but apparently Japan is undergoing one, and can any of you explain what happened/how it happened/potentials to how it could be prevented etc? More or less your observations/knowledge on this sort of thing.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

moker posted:

You still need a secret man I doubt he was trying to screw you over

This is true, it took me a bit to actually get in (leaving in only 28 days yay) because they had to make sure my debt was low enough for the secret.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Harmburger posted:

I'm wanting to join the nuke program, filling out the paperwork with my recuiter. He wants to enter me into the DEP program next Tuesday as some sort of non-nuke rate, I think one of the ET classifications. I've been clear with him that I want to ship out to boot with an Nuclear Field rating, and he said that I will. I understand that DEP is reversible and you haven't signed away your life(yet), and what really matters is on the enlistment contract you sign shortly before you go to boot.

What I'm asking here is: Do I have my facts straight? Is it common to enter into DEP with one rate and be reclassed? This isn't going to ensure I can't be a nuke, correct?

poo poo, I was advanced computers before I joined the pipeline, you will just be in dep forever though.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

I love talking about wish lists.
Mine:
ET
MM
EM

My first tour wishlist was, in order:

Submarine out of Pearl (requested forward deployed)
Submarine out of Guam
Submarine out of Washington
Submarine out of San Diego
Submarine out of Norfolk
Submarine out of Groton
Carrier out of Washington
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk

My negotiating attempts for my second tour:
Carrier out of Japan
Carrier out of Washington
Carrier out of San Diego
Carrier out of Norfolk
NRMD
Prototype

Im an EM that went to a shipyard-bound carrier out of Norfolk then got sent to prototype.

How did they even send you out that early, or were you on the Vinsion's shipyard tour for like a year?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

Yeah, I already got the gist of all that. I'm just specifically sick of these specific fucktards. I know it has a hand in preparing you for all the fucktards the Navy has to offer you and since you can't choose the people who are in your command, you have to deal with it... but these fucktards...

Its not that big a deal, don't dwell on it, deal with it etc, at least you are done and have a small break, to be honest, are you one of those pricks who manages to get everyone to hate him? I mean gently caress, nukes are friendly nerds, if a bit dumb on things.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

There is literally no reason to stay in past 8 years. Everything you would want on your resume can be accomplished in that time.

what do you need to do before you leave then, any tips or thins like that?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

I sent a reply. The end got cut off because I'm in bed on my laptop. If you have any concerns, let me know and I can probably figure something out.

Fraternization sucks. We get training on it pretty often and people still get nailed for it.

When I hit Prototype if you are still here I'll PM you so we can be put away from each other or something?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

At Nuke school will I be permitted to live off base with my wife? If not how often will I be allowed to head into town to see her?

She has a phone interview coming up for an engineering job for the Navy in a civilian capacity located in Goose Creek. We were wondering if it would be worth her making the move out to South Carolina.

Dude, they give you married guys a house and money to pay for the move. You want the house and to not live in the beq. Trust me on this.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

grover posted:

5 days to respond, and this is the best y'all could come up with?

Tell me again how your CO would rather you die than be late for muster.

hhahahahahaha
hahaha
haha

I am in a training command in this exact situation bro, literally multiple leadership figures have said, "Be here early, don't EVER be late, threats of EMI, potential mast if one is late, etc.

Its highly relevant because upstate NY, snow, hills, the fun stuff of winter.

grover please concede the point bro, I mean i don't seem to have a hatred/dislike like some posters, but yeah this is a funtime military thing.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

itsrobbiej posted:

What plant?

s8G 4life

Also, people have been loving up so much poo poo, oh god, TLDs and what not, why.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

The friday funnies yeah, man, I had no idea we had so many masts, I thought it was a normal thing to be honest.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Why are so many goons nukes, this is a mystery, I mean drat, we have enough people here for a division.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

At prototype, end of course critiques rarely resulted in anything. One of my friends had 5 classes in a row that all said he was one of the worst people they had met with people regularly saying that he got off on making people cry. The only thing that happened was the PMC calling him into his office to ask "Did you know that almost every student you've had hated you?" "Yeah, they're mad that I make them study" "Oh, well, try to be a little nicer so we stop getting these complaints."

Some people would print theirs out and tape them to the wall of their office if they were particularly amusing. A (male) student once wrote "Getting systems checkouts from PO1 KetTarma is like getting raped" which made the rounds for a long time.

Fact: Every student since time began has complained that medical sucked, parking sucked, and there were never enough instructors around.

People weren't done by systems, I thought you were an oncrew guy?

Also, what is the greatest sad story ever, you have to tell us.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

We do that with grad holders, send em to kings bay because there is no loving room (also I would not be opposed to this, its hard enough to try to qualify and then field days and other dumb poo poo), but at least I'm 50% pretty soon. Gonna become the new KetTarma if I get sent to the yards.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd like to think that all the happiness that gets stolen from people by the navy just gets saved up and dumped onto random lucky bastards like this. I mean, I'm still pissed at how much happiness I lost, but at least it went to some mother fucker that gets to tell a cool story.

Also who else has heard of the Law of Conservation of Happiness?

I thought that was like one of the laws of nuclear physics, it is told here in prototype (god its over half over i want to qualify, my roomates want to quit, i just watch cartoons, work out and go to study,), and it seems universal.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

so
many
duis

Edit: our section had its.. 5th? 6th DUI, when we were on a 4day. I was hiking in an area with no cell phone service, found out when I returned to civilization to pick up people from the train station.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Grad hold? I'm a month away.
E: what job did you get?

Uh, I am in prototype. I have a month or so left, the real navy is so close.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, so wrt prototype instructor.

One instructor in our section goes on a date, then goes with college kids and gets very very drunk, drives the WRONG WAY on caroline street, and gets pulled over by the cops. He is so drunk he manages to get the local police to call the navy to get him out of drunk jail. Full penalties at mast (and the public stuff was in the local newspaper, Saratoga yay).

Jesus christ what else can go wrong on 4 days?

And gently caress you South Carolina people, 35 weeks?! gently caress you all I will be done at 23ish, how the gently caress can you not get poo poo done (did your plant explode) in 24 weeks?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Anyone here been on a PCU/newishh ship? How poo poo will it be, compared to something already active, etc?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

What happened NOW?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

lol :rolleyes:

its gonna own how fat you panel sitting types get when you get to a ship if you cant even be bothered to not be a fatass in school lol

I work in admin, I work out more (and so do the YNs) than I normally do because yeah they are the 'sit around at a computer' so yeah, work out more

(And at Balston we ran around site, they secured the entrance, ran from the parking lot to the entrance and back.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

gurragadon posted:

So I'm just about finishing up prototype in Ballston Spa and I just go orders to the Ford. I guess its still in Newport News being built now. Anyone have any idea what to expect going to a ship that's still in construction?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm even going to be doing when I get there. Just qualifying and training briefs? Also everyone is telling me that Newport News pretty much sucks which I assume is true. Did anybody spend some time there and could tell me about it?

my ford brother, and I'm S8G so I don't think he would know me (and there are 30? black people on site I think?)

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Assuming you are phase 3, you'll go to PCU school with me for 2 months, then the quals start while system turnover goes on, is the plan, but I'm the ~fresh from prototype~ type.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

In power school my math guy was a DILDO. He didn't know how to handle students, fresh out of college, and we broke his rear end. We made him tell us about all the personal moments, him failing to hit on this female DILDO in his office, and how he went home, drank, stared at a wall a lot, and just played wow.

He also told us he almost hit some black people one night until one of them turned around and opened their eyes. The one black guy in class was going off on him so hard. What when they opened their mouth did you see their teeth too and think it was a ghost flying in the night?

We didn't do poo poo for math.

We had a few guys like this and my class had huge failure rates.

One guy didn't even know there were non pictures in slide shows. Our book never matched what he showed.

He also gambled a lot. Then told us a story.

When I got to my boat I was told to go tour it. When I got to maneuvering, one of the guys in there said, "You ever suck a dick boy?" to which this, now chief then nub, said, "Yes, when my cousin molested me when I was seven." To this the guy in maneuvering apologized.

Our class was like deer in head lights, not knowing what to say. The rest of his class was pretty much him talking about gambling online and how much money he made and how he poo poo talked people.

jesus christ how horrifying. (Also lol white people lol), but yeah, man, let be on topic.

For Prototype new guys, I'm the newset prototype qualed guy (now on the mighty PCU Gerald R Ford!), and yeah, the boat is key, mids guys love checkouts because no one is there and they do nothing, and during shutdown periods, for Electrical checkouts, SEO and AMR will love to give you checkouts inbetween their long roves/checkins.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

itsrobbiej posted:

Gah. I see this EVERY DAY!

Pre navy I was like "what the gently caress is that" and now that I know what it is it loving is like "DAMNIT!" (also carrier plants look... well yeah. If you go to a new carrier, it will blow your mind)

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but you had people telling you just how much poo poo you were getting in to, yet you did it anyways. Just remember, your time as a student is the best time you'll have in the navy.

I got a precom, its better imho (till it starts sucking when testing begins, and its 1st of class. Anyone know anyone on USS Virgina, I need to find people who did this (since i doubt I could find anyone who precommed Ohio or Nimitz or the cruisers)

Also serious chat: everyone loving did it because the river plants are dead men walking. Get over it, you will do it.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

JulianD posted:

A while back, I came into this forum asking for information about the Navy's nuclear programs (NR Engineer, Instructor, etc.). I'd like to thank all of you for that information - as of yesterday afternoon, I was accepted as an instructor at the Navy's nuclear power school. I report for ODS 2 February and will likely be in the Charleston area by mid- to late March, so if any of you are going to be in the area, please let me know! It would be great to meet new people there who also know the area. I'm nervous because I've never lived anywhere but in my home state and near my family, but I'm excited for the opportunity and challenge.

don't let the students gently caress with you
(they will try)
Also, go party in Charleston, it is fun, Eat at Hymens, what else is there to do?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Question, how long did it take most of you guys to qualify a watchstation. I am trying to figure out how abnormal this precom is (I have been here for half a year and I am about to qualify bnuke, and I'm not qualified any watch (but that is impossible soo)

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Hobolicious posted:

During PIA we had a lot of people take awhile to qualify, and fall behind, so it's not unheard of. But work on it. The faster you qualify, the easier your life will be.

I can't qualify a watchstation though. My ship.. is still under construction, and the cards do not exist (yet). I was just trying to figure out how the hell long it would or should take me to qualify in a place where a ship's program exists.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought the two new prototypes in SC were to replace the ancient MTS's. Are they going down to 2 total? That seems a bad idea.

They are building fake steam plant trainers. As of now S8G will be refilled, MARF will die, a Steam Trainer will go to NY? and Charleston will get 2 688s, and 2 steam plant trainers. You'll still have to do nuclear watches, just less of them, since the goal is to RAM PEOPLE THROUGH.

(Also I've been in for nearly 3 years, and I have 0 sea time, and will end up with 0 sea time before I get out. jesus 3 more years to go. god why did they extend me by 3 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

IF you loving need help with the Bush I can call people on the Bush. (Also jesus christ man)

• Locked thread