Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Very accurate statement. That being said, "babysitting" and "maintaining" it are actually highly complex events that require massive amounts of training to understand what you're doing.

This is also a very accurate statement describing the program

Haha. No.

I was wondering why every third sign in the Rickover Center is about suicide statistics. Is it really that bad here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
What are the really good horror stories about this place? Been following the DLI thread, and have been wondering if we have anything that really compares to that.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

Manawski posted:

Which place, there are like 4 different places (6 really, but some of them happen at the same geographical location)

I mean, at Power School, all of the -=NUKES OF THE FUTURE=- are living in barracks, so any weirdness that exists will manifest itself in the circle (i.e. ET's LARPing on the circle, guys not being allowed to cross the quarterdeck with their raccoon tails still attached, things like that.) I don't know, it seems like they'll mast someone for sneezing at NNPTC, so people don't try to push the envelope too much, but that's my 3rd deck room-with-a-window perspective.

Prototype? Up in NY, Other than the command flipping out and making everyone come in wearing whites, taking away the chairs, ordering complete silence on the deck, and making the classes stand at POA for an entire lecture, It's pretty normal. I'm at the other prototype, and we're pretty chill.

In other news, Does your power school ranking really affect whether you go to Prototype on shore duty or not? I know you've got to be at least top half as an officer to go back, so I'm hosed out of that, but if it also means that I can't be a Shift Eng no matter how well I do at prototype, I'll start packing my bags for Monterrey now.

I was talking about the entire pipeline, but mainly Goose Creek, since it's most of what I've seen. Figured we didn't have ti too bad, considering how much mental stability was viewed as a prerequisite to joining Nuke Force.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
Hey, I have to ship out to NY soon, there any good resources for a guy to get an apartment there?

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
God bless you, KetKarma. I hope to follow in your noble footsteps one day. Currently trying to get that Excelsior printout too.

To all else: hi, I'm a RC-div SPU at the S8G plant. Been in 2.5 years, can give some advice as both a student and an instructor, and the whole process up to Prototype.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Ok, so wrt prototype instructor.

One instructor in our section goes on a date, then goes with college kids and gets very very drunk, drives the WRONG WAY on caroline street, and gets pulled over by the cops. He is so drunk he manages to get the local police to call the navy to get him out of drunk jail. Full penalties at mast (and the public stuff was in the local newspaper, Saratoga yay).

Jesus christ what else can go wrong on 4 days?

And gently caress you South Carolina people, 35 weeks?! gently caress you all I will be done at 23ish, how the gently caress can you not get poo poo done (did your plant explode) in 24 weeks?

Holy poo poo, you're in my section. I'm the fat Asian RC div-er instructor. Remember, the 4 day before that in our section, we had the guys doing donuts in a middle school football field.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I believe the rule is it takes a half a psi pressure change to knock a man out. Basically think of the surface area of your chest in square inches (figure at least 200) x 0.5 and think of that (100lb or more) weight smacking you in the chest. It's obviously not that simple, don't sperg it up, but it gives the basic idea.

Compartments are large and it takes a lot of compressed air to change pressure. Lord knows we vented high-pressure air into people spaces more than once (and a couple times were my fault, what genius gave HPAC operation to the reactor technician) but other than being louder than all bejesus it wasn't harmful since the volume released was low.

I don't know much about a boomer's missile compartment but the best explanation is that they inadvertently pressurized the space and then rapidly depressurized (by opening the hatch or a vent valve or something) which would pop blood vessels, make you blush, nosebleeds etc. It's a strange one though because at least on a fast boat you'd need more than a few things messed up to be able to do that in that situation.

Gonna have to remember that the next time I give that checkout. Remember when I was qualifying another student opened the airlock door without equalizing while I was field day-ing in there. I woulda punched him then and there if I wasn't so disoriented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
You really need to tell your staff. We're not here to gently caress you. Let us help you, you dumb rat bastard.

• Locked thread