Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

What about this? I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything that said "Oh yeah btw we can yank you off retirement if you gently caress up grading a nuc test".

I can't speak for the Navy but barring test compromise or outright fuckery/buffoonery it appears vanishingly unlikely. Sure the DoD CAN strip benefits etc. from people but how often do you hear of it happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Manawski posted:

"So, sir, what do you think about the idea that pilots get a mandatory eight hours of sleep a night, but the people running the reactor might be working on less than four"

...to a carrier PXO. An O-5 pilot.

PXO's : :nyd: :crossarms:
Instructor : :ughh:
The rest of the class : :aaa:

The next 10 minutes of class went extremely well

You know, it's just like when our guys complain about stuff like BUT PILOTS CAN BRING PENCILS IN THE COCKPIT AND NOBODY YELLS AT THEM FOR IT

Sometimes people just ought to stay in their lane :(

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hagetaka posted:

fyi this has never been used as anything other than "yeah I'm hosed up but check the collar, bitch"

Maybe not in your world, I dunno about the Army though, you guys are weird.

For us it means, don't worry about poo poo you can't control. Don't complain about squadron or AFSC X that does Y because those guys are not us and we/you can't change them so don't whine. Don't worry about what some other dude/section/etc does because whether they are right or wrong that's on them, and we're not them.

Actually it makes pretty good sense so I dunno why Army people use it wrong.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LonsomeSon posted:

While that's what it means, anybody who says that to you in the Army is most likely some godawful flavor of d-bag.

One of the badass NCOs I knew, though, would say poo poo like "Don't go dippin' in my kool-aid" so there are exceptions.

We (aircraft maintenance officers) use it sometimes and say it to each other, because we are usually pretty territorial about stuff (this is MY aircraft maintenance unit, these jets are OURS, this is MY squadron etc) so when dudes criticize or talk poo poo or try to get out of trouble by throwing someone else under the bus, we usually tell them to go away. It translates sometimes to the young enlisted guys who will see pilots doing X and complain about it -- a common one is pilots bringing pens/pencils to the cockpit after they (the enlisted dudes) have gotten yelled at by QA for the same thing. But the pilots need to use them, and also it's not for us to worry about, in that if the pilot loses a pencil or some poo poo, the OIC will point that out at a later time, etc.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Manawski posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great question, but it's still one of those sort of things you don't go asking the soon-to-be O-6 CVN XO's in the nice leather chairs in the back of the room when you're an ENS, even if the ENS has 5 ribbons straight outta Oxford :wtc:

The answer did end up boiling down to "We'll worry about being pilots and NFO's and you can worry about getting a warfare qualification"

See yeah, "Stay in your lane." This is a big thing in the (AF) pilot world too, and MX as well, we bust that one out from time to time (usually in the sense of 'mind your own business')

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

My mother is a civvie nuke :mad:.

And you're right blech.

Wait did you just dis your own mother? That's cold, man.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

krylex posted:

With the man hours and server time he saved over $50,000 on various projects by not forcing all of us collectively complete the dis for him. That man deserves a NAM or commendation letter at least.

Valid, valid.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

Should I have said she's hot?

I dunno, I'd have thought you wouldn't talk about your mom at all on the internet, but to each their own...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

MonkeyFit posted:

Not really gonna happen. I don't think my high school grades are good enough to get a scholarship, I wasn't in ROTC in high school, and the point of me joining the military is to get a college degree out of it. That's my main reason for joining.

Speaking of which, how much time do nukes find themselves with to do college courses?

How long are nukes usually out at sea? (rough estimate is fine)

It doesn't matter if you weren't in JROTC in high school. (If you were wondering.)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Giudecca posted:

I saw what happened when people got de-nuked. You get stuck with really menial bitch work all the time and you face a huge social stigma of "going sad". This stigma exists for a reason, because a lot of people really do this, but I feel bad for you if you get de-nuked without really trying.

Out of curiosity, what does "going sad" mean in that context, like, faking it on purpose to get out of the nuke world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Giudecca posted:

Yes, people usually fake depression or say they want to kill themselves. There's a zero tolerance policy. Also taking any kind of psychotropic medication, especially anti-depressants, will get you de-nuked. You also won't get any more of whatever bonus, but if you re-upped to eight years and don't get an administrative separation you still have to stay in for the full eight. Without the bonus.

Oh, I see. Man, guess I'm glad I never had the chance to be a nuke, holy cow.

quote:

I didn't do this - in fact I went to a Navy psychologist, and it wasn't really of my own accord. She, my LCPO (leading Chief Petty Officer) and myself tried to get things worked out by not putting me on meds and me going to group CBT for panic attacks, but since I had a panic attack in front of other people and was sent to medical, well, that de-nuked me whether or not I took any medicine. So I went ahead and tried an SSRI for awhile. Mehhh.

Well at least it sounds like it was the right thing to do and that the meds helped, so that's good news right? Better than hating every minute of every day at least, I assume.

• Locked thread