Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sandler311 posted:

On boomers nukes have to do every single drill. There is no drill nukes do not respond to.

Not true unless you don't consider things like fire control tracking party, section tracking party, torpedo reload team, continuous comms exercises, or any of the missile alert or missile drills short of actual battlestations to be drills. Yeah, nukes have to respond to everything that's associated with an alarm but so does everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Hagetaka posted:

I know something similar (interruption in ballast blow) happened to my father on an old diesel sub during sea trials (except one side froze up, they listed to someting insane like 30 degrees before getting out of the water and righting).

I'd be curious to know what the fix was, if I wasn't kinda leery of asking questions about subs online.

they dry the hell out of the air before they pressurize it, so that when it comes back out into the ballast tanks, there's no moisture in the HP air to freeze valves shut

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
How much will having a non-technical degree hurt me in the pipeline?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Where should I be looking for rental housing/apartments assuming my priorities are

1. unit quality
2. neighborhood quality
3. commute
4. proximity to commercial services
5. price

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The fact that he references a requirement to take Calc and calc-based Physics says to me he is talking about the officer route.

Manawski is still correct if that's the case. If you go in to the officer pipeline without algebra being second-nature to you, you will be at a severe disadvantage though.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
He was probably loving with you since he would have had to take his belt off anyway.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Considering going to a new construction. Anyone have any experience?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I should probably specify a Virginia class

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I've been to sea but I'm not a "sea returnee" unfortunately, this'll be my first JO tour. I'm putting in my requests soon though. The timing is right for me to be a plankowner on my home-state namesake boat, and I was considering requesting it if I can find some people that say a new construction is rewarding in other ways ('cause that's certainly not going to be my sole reason). I figure sea trials and such would certainly be beneficial for professional development, at least.

So to rephrase, does anyone have any experience on a PCU submarine?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
can't be stationed in Japan on a submarine though

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Oh no, not a tropical paradise with no barriers to getting hired as an American citizen. Anything but that.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

itsrobbiej posted:

Yay, I finally got orders for Prototype! Ballston Spa, here I come...at the end of May.

There are like 400 people on hold here right now

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

moker posted:

I'm so jealous of these long rear end holds, whats it taking now 2.5-3 years to get through?

1 yr 9 mo for me

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

moker posted:

You went nuke officer?? I'm forgetful :shobon:

"went" implies I had a choice in the matter, but yeah.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

I'm senior class at NPS now and I have a few questions:

-Where should I live if I get to go to New York?
-Since I'll be taking grad leave from November 9th-19th, will I not get holiday leave?
-Are there any opportunities to make prototype suck less (I was selected for class leadership so I don't have to stand regular watches, I'm looking for things like this)?

Live as close to the site as possible so that you can have an extra 30 minutes per day of free time instead of commuting. This will raise your free time to approximately one hour per day.

You will probably get holiday leave since you won't be on crew yet.

Stay ahead of the curve so you only have 84 hour weeks instead of 96 hour weeks.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Nothing makes me more eager to get underway than being in port in Guam. I would rather go IA to Afghanistan than take orders there.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Any specific reasons? Theres tons of cool stuff to do there if you're only there for a little bit. Why was it so bad?

The entire island is a run-down Hawaii-wannabe shithole where nobody performs even the most basic of building maintenance. The few buildings that aren't actively falling down due to neglect are falling down due to the inability to construct a sturdy and attractive building in a climate where it rains roughly five inches per day (generally accompanied by gale-force winds and with no notice whatsoever).

The nightlife consists of the skeeziest bars anywhere in which English is spoken, accompanied by strip clubs in which no women that are even remotely attractive are present. It's unsurprising, of course, that there are no attractive women in the strip clubs, since there aren't any attractive women on the island at all, and the unattractive ones hate sailors along with all the other natives.

Theoretically there may be some things worth doing during the daytime, but you'll never find out since Guam is a working port! Sure, flying home takes 24 hours, but Guam is US territory, so have fun working until the sun goes down. Hey, at least you'll get to out in town to go experience that fantastic nightlife.

Oh, it's only a US port for purposes of working hours, though. When it comes to liberty buddy policy, it's a foreign port, so you better not think of leaving base on your own even though you're still in the US.

At least you can roam the base by yourself, though! Wait, no, you can't, because Polaris Point is like five goddamn miles from all the base facilities. Have fun waiting an hour for a duty van to take you to the NEX. At least you can wait at the only place close enough to walk to--a tiny building with four vending machines and 50 people all trying to use a $30 Netgear router simultaneously.

Even if none of this was true, I would still never want to go back for one single reason--it is the hottest place in the goddamn world. Every waking moment is spent drenched in sweat with no respite. You can't even get a cold shower in the morning since the potable water tanks are the same temperature as the surrounding 85-degree harbor water. Simple tasks like walking 500 feet to get off the pier are physically exhausting, and even standing topside making a phone call at 5AM got me sweaty enough to want to take another shower.

If you are brave enough to want to actually PT in the morning despite the very real possibility you will die of heatstroke, have fun being physically assaulted by the most aggressive birds in the world as you jog along the sole road available for running.

And of course, if you're lucky enough to be stationed in Guam rather than merely making a port call, your reward for putting up with the worst home port in the Navy is the highest optempo in the Navy! Have fun keeping your lovely 30-year-old 688 in working condition so that you can accomplish back-to-back-to-back forward-deployed missions until you're lucky enough to be so broken that you have to go into the shipyard. Hopefully the timeline for your shipyard time versus your PRD will work out so that you can take your family with you for the change of homeport instead of having to be a geobachelor with 9 hours time difference.

You could offer me a $100,000 bonus to do a two-year Guam tour and I would turn it down in an instant.

At least it's not Diego Garcia, I guess?

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 21, 2012

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

So we get thirty days of leave when we leave prototype, how do they pay us for the move? Are they gonna pay my gas all the way back home then also to my ultimate destination? Can I stay in hotels the entire time? If I get a U-haul box truck to move all my stuff to home then another when my leave is up do they pay for both?

Your travel money and your move money are separate. If you move your own stuff, you get paid based on weight and distance. The amount you get is roughly 75% what it would cost the government to pay some company to move you. If you don't move your own stuff, you don't get paid for it. The government hires some company and pays them directly.

Your travel money is based on distance from your current duty station to your next one by the most direct route. The amount of time you spend getting there doesn't affect the pay. The amount you spend on hotels or gas doesn't affect the pay. If you take a detour, it doesn't affect the pay. You can also opt to take a plane ticket instead of getting paid to drive your POV, in which case you will get paid almost nothing.

Your leave is completely unrelated to your travel pay. If you stay in hotels for 30 days you will undoubtedly spend way more money than the government pays you to travel. The Navy assumes you can safely drive about 300 miles a day, so for a typical coast-to-coast move you'll get about enough money to stay 9 nights in a budget hotel plus 9 days of meals plus 3000 miles of gas money at like 25 mpg.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 29, 2013

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

So if I get a Uhaul won't it be the difference between my car empty and my car plus a uhaul plus my motorcycle in the uhaul plus my furniture? That seems like a rather large weight difference.

Your car doesn't count towards weight if you're towing it. You can weigh uhaul empty and uhaul full or uhaul + car empty and uhaul + car full but the weight ticket will list number of axles and it has to be the same on both tickets.

It's very easy to lose money hauling your own stuff if you're spending money to rent stuff. DITY isn't to hook you up, it's to save the government money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ChewedFood posted:

How long will it take for the e5 exam to be graded because I will get NEC in two weeks (but I take the test tomorrow)?

Results for the fall exam usually come out a week or so before Thanksgiving.

• Locked thread