Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sandler311 posted:

What the hell is SOBC? What broken thing is that?

Also I passed the POSS test. I find out how I stack up against the other people who passed later. No numbers on how many that failed.

SOBC is a short officer course in which they learn the other non nuclear systems on the submarine, such as Fire Control basics, and other stuff they will deal with on a day to day basis. It's a short stop in Groton, CT before they reach the fleet.

Edit: They also go though ALL the trainers here prior to reporting to their boats. Unlike the enlisted sailors who may or may not have a chance at a trainer because of SOBC classes having priority.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

MonkeyFit posted:

What is basic like other than people will hate me?

What is working on a sub like?

Why did the beginning of this thread begin with a positive outlook on nukes and has started trending downwards into statements like "be careful what you wish for"? (please elaborate on your experiences)

I hated all the nukes in basic because people got me confused with being one. There are 2 types of nukes in basic, smart nukes people that have legit intelligence, and the other kind you know the recruiter just got them to go nuke by impressing them with fancy words and telling them how smart they are. None of the later type in my boot camp division made it past A-School, you could tell that early.

Working on a sub, you will be hosed everyday you are on board, by your peers, LPO, duty section, engineer, EDMC, chief and still have to suffer though being mocked by coners. There is not one nuke at my command that has any positive insight to the navy, or much desire to reenlist. That being said, most of the nukes are very intelligent and are more than willing to help with most anything you need help with.

Elaborating on what I see everyday that makes it horrible. Long work days in comparison to everyone else, 3 section duty, port and starboard watches, massive amounts of maintinence, massive amounts of training, insane amounts of testing, insane amounts of qualifications, divisional drama, dealing with coners, dealing with khakis.

Edit: Also, being a nuke JO is one of the most miserable experiences on this earth.

• Locked thread