Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Giudecca posted:

Northrop Grumman shipyard in Newport News is a fantastic environment with lots of great things to do within walking distance. Very low crime rate, no litter, no one ever asks for change. I love the area. Have a great time. :)

e: Whoops, your refueling, unlike a carrier, doesn't have to be in Newport News. Lucky.

Heck, you could always come work at the shipyard when you get out. It's awesome! :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

There is a huge backup for prototype because all of them are old as poo poo and they require maintenance shutdowns pretty constantly. One of the ones in SC is getting towed to Norfolk for repairs.

This is why they should make the Mobile Chernobyl a "float-a-type". :v:

Plus, they wouldn't need to pay anyone BAH because they could convert the hangar bay into barracks.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

grover posted:

You probably can't elaborate, but I often wonder why they don't use an excess sub as a trainer instead, one that would otherwise be decommissioned and sold for scrap.

You mean like my idea of making the Big E a floating prototype? :v:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

belt posted:

That would be amazing. I can almost see the prototype suicide rates skyrocketing from here!

Hey, at least if they used the Big E, they could let the sailors live on board. Just like in the real Navy!

Just cut off the island, weld any compartment shut that you don't want sailors getting into, convert the hangar bay into a giant barracks.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Got you beat. Im already living in the NNSY barracks/a converted WW2 troopship in Portsmouth, VA.

Why the gently caress?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

The prototype I teach at is being repaired. They towed it from charleston, sc to portsmouth, va and shipped the instructors up with it to stand watch, clean, do maintenance, and do support jobs like pulling up tiling, grinding off rust, and painting. Most of us are E6s. This is my shore duty. I'm billeted as a nuclear instructor/supervisor. Most of my time is spent scrubbing dirt off of the walls. At least I'm senior enough to get out of most bad deals here!

Try explaining that to your fiancee that you'll barely see her for the next year since you're "deployed" to VA away from "homeport"..

I need to buy you a drink since you're practically down the street from me.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

Sounds like they're going to convert a pair of Los Angeles-class boats.

Yeah, they are planning on retrofitting a couple 688is.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Got my DD214 today. Woopwoop.

Welcome back! :glomp:

So what do you plan on doing now that you're out?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

gurragadon posted:

So I'm just about finishing up prototype in Ballston Spa and I just go orders to the Ford. I guess its still in Newport News being built now. Anyone have any idea what to expect going to a ship that's still in construction?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm even going to be doing when I get there. Just qualifying and training briefs? Also everyone is telling me that Newport News pretty much sucks which I assume is true. Did anybody spend some time there and could tell me about it?

Yeah, we're still building it. Won't be delivered to 2016. I've lived in the Hampton Roads area since 2005. What exactly do you want to know about the area other than, Hampton blows and the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel) sucks for commutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

gurragadon posted:

I dunno is there anything fun to do around there? I'm from Richmond, VA so I already kind of knew the area sucked but I've never actually been there. What does delivered mean exactly vice when it launches? There is like a three year gap in between the two so I'm just kinda curious what we'll be doing in between for those three years.

Busch Gardens? Water Country USA? DC is three hours away. There are concerts, museums, etc. down here. Depends on what you like to do, I guess? Can always hang out with grover and some of us other Hampton Roads goons too.

Delivered is when we formally give the "keys" to the Navy to the ship.

• Locked thread