Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Doctor Bombadil posted:

They are registered with current provider. I have already backed up almost everything (only databases remain to be backed up) just in case, but I have to ask, why is it so? Do you think they might cancel my hosting too?

Some hosts (unfortunately some old SA hosts) are shady as hell. If they think you're going to cancel, they do all sorts of things to try and force you to stay and pay them more money.
Always backup your data anyways, you should NEVER rely on a shared hosting provider to keep your backups. Sometimes backups fail, or aren't taken as frequently as you need them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I agree that not relying on provider's backup is generally a good idea, and I have never relied on their backups, ever since a friend of mine got burned by doing that.

Thanks for good advice anyway, I'll make sure i have everything in place before doing transfers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Vulture Culture posted:

If this is just for a small hobby project, you probably qualify for the free tier on Heroku, which includes an app dyno and a PostgreSQL database. Otherwise, their hobby tier is about $7/month.

This will be for the retooling of a app that gets 100k views a month currently.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Knifegrab posted:

That averages out to just over 2 page views per minute, which is beyond free tier stuff but still not really at the point where I'd be super-worried about performance on a shared platform.

Are you familiar with 12-factor principles? They're really important for Node application portability. Once you have an application that does this stuff, you can host it basically anywhere and trial to your heart's content. If you've outgrown the discount-tier Heroku stuff but you're not worried enough about horizontal scale to bother paying for a pile of dynos, I'd look at a PaaS like Google App Engine or Amazon Elastic Beanstalk to host your app.

Node's a vastly different application model from shared-hosting CGI-type stuff like PHP/JSP/ASP.NET, and you're probably not going to find too many discount hosts.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Knifegrab posted:

This isn't very many. You could use a paid Heroku plan, another PaaS service like Elastic Beanstalk or App Engine, or if you're happy to administer the server it runs on yourself, something like digitalocean

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rufus Ping posted:

This isn't very many. You could use a paid Heroku plan, another PaaS service like Elastic Beanstalk or App Engine, or if you're happy to administer the server it runs on yourself, something like digitalocean

Holy gently caress after spending nearly two days mucking about with app engine I have no loving clue how to use that. Is digital ocean good? I just basically want a linux box I can ssh into and install postgres on and poo poo.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That's precisely what you'll get. But it's your responsibility to secure it and keep it updated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Knifegrab posted:

Holy gently caress after spending nearly two days mucking about with app engine I have no loving clue how to use that. Is digital ocean good? I just basically want a linux box I can ssh into and install postgres on and poo poo.

The networking on DO was flaky so I ended up going to Vultr

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Bob Morales posted:

The networking on DO was flaky so I ended up going to Vultr

What do you mean by the networking was flaky? Do you mean the internal networking?

+1 for Vultr. Their $5 plan has 768mb of RAM instead of DO's 512mb, plus way more locations, including Australia.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

River posted:

What do you mean by the networking was flaky? Do you mean the internal networking?

+1 for Vultr. Their $5 plan has 768mb of RAM instead of DO's 512mb, plus way more locations, including Australia.

latency would go crazy and speed varied big time. Sucked for a proxy.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
just got done recompiling nginx with full RELRO and PIE and znc with partial RELRO and PIE

trying to lock down everything that's public-facing

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

deep impact on vhs posted:

just got done recompiling nginx with full RELRO and PIE and znc with partial RELRO and PIE

trying to lock down everything that's public-facing

grsec + pax + some kind of mandatory access control (grsec rbac, apparmor) imo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

grsec + pax + some kind of mandatory access control (grsec rbac, apparmor) imo

that's next up on my todo list

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

AppArmor's super-easy, too, coming from someone who previously wrote a lot of SELinux.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

deep impact on vhs posted:

that's next up on my todo list

it's fairly straightforward

a script like this one can automate the compilation process, then just do update-grub2

configure it so pax uses ext xattr markings rather than elf binary marking, then install paxctld (the profile it ships with is a good starting point)

use paxtest to confirm it's all working

Vulture Culture posted:

AppArmor's super-easy, too, coming from someone who previously wrote a lot of SELinux.

debian/ubuntu ship with apparmor profiles for some packages which is nice

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

The Firefox profile in particular (along with its dependencies in /etc/apparmor.d/abstractions) hits on almost every AppArmor feature

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i know there was a goon talking about making a secure download page for an ecommerce site but i dunno how long ago or if he figured it out, but this 3rd party nginx module looks promising

"ngx_http_secure_download_module - a module that enables you to create links which are only valid until a certain datetime is reached. The way it works is similar to lightttpd’s mod_secdownload, but not exactly same."

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

it's fairly straightforward

a script like this one can automate the compilation process, then just do update-grub2

configure it so pax uses ext xattr markings rather than elf binary marking, then install paxctld (the profile it ships with is a good starting point)

use paxtest to confirm it's all working

nah i've done it before but i'm custom compiling because i want to cut out cruft that i don't need

it's a vps so no video card support, no audio support, poo poo like that i'm just gonna completely nix

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
http://ismy.pw/

Found this going through an old drive. Makes a great placeholder page. It plays music, so speakers down.

Bob Morales posted:

latency would go crazy and speed varied big time. Sucked for a proxy.

I've been running a ts server off of my droplet for a few years now and the latency has been fine for me (in SGP1), you are right about speeds though.

Anybody have experience with Kimsufi? I can ignore things like poor network etc as I'm just looking for a -dirt cheap- dedi. But is ordering outside the EU possible in a reasonable timeframe?

River fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

River posted:

Anybody have experience with Kimsufi? I can ignore things like poor network etc as I'm just looking for a -dirt cheap- dedi. But is ordering outside the EU possible in a reasonable timeframe?

Support is poo poo. Took them over two months to reply to my application to get a server.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

River posted:

Never had issues with Kimsufi, just hard to get a spot and way too expensive.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have 70+ kimsufis. They are fine.

Outside of EU you may need to (probably will, 99%+ chance) to provide 2-3 forms of ID, and potentially get sent a letter by postal mail.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I've got an issue with my email andwas hopign someone in this thread might have a clue, or know a better thread to ask in. The company I work for (as their IT person, even though I have absolutely no credentials and am actully a photographer, but at least I know basic things) forgot to confirm their contact info with their domain registrar (register.com), and got their domains suspended for a day. I've gotten the domains back up, but they're now getting intermittent SMTP error 550 on their email. The email is done through google apps, so the domains at register.com are set up with Lithium hosting nameservers, and then MX entries are configured through cpanel at lithium. As far as I can tell, no settings have changed there. The error 550s don't seem related to who the incoming sender is, though they may be more common on replies than new emails.

This is the text of one of the error bounces. We're getting this from multiple incoming providers, other gmail users, exchange hosted through microsoft, and other corporate emails with on-prem exchange.

c110.lithium.hosting gave this error:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. mail-bn1bon0085.outbound.protection.outlook.com (na01-bn1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com) [157.56.111.85]:56880 is not permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Booley posted:

I've got an issue with my email andwas hopign someone in this thread might have a clue, or know a better thread to ask in. The company I work for (as their IT person, even though I have absolutely no credentials and am actully a photographer, but at least I know basic things) forgot to confirm their contact info with their domain registrar (register.com), and got their domains suspended for a day. I've gotten the domains back up, but they're now getting intermittent SMTP error 550 on their email. The email is done through google apps, so the domains at register.com are set up with Lithium hosting nameservers, and then MX entries are configured through cpanel at lithium. As far as I can tell, no settings have changed there. The error 550s don't seem related to who the incoming sender is, though they may be more common on replies than new emails.

This is the text of one of the error bounces. We're getting this from multiple incoming providers, other gmail users, exchange hosted through microsoft, and other corporate emails with on-prem exchange.

c110.lithium.hosting gave this error:
Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. mail-bn1bon0085.outbound.protection.outlook.com (na01-bn1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com) [157.56.111.85]:56880 is not permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

If their email is through google apps, why is that error message referencing outlook.com?

e: ok wait no, hang on. You need to go into google apps admin dashboard and get the correct MX settings, mail shouldn't be getting sent to lithium's servers.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

mewse posted:

If their email is through google apps, why is that error message referencing outlook.com?

e: ok wait no, hang on. You need to go into google apps admin dashboard and get the correct MX settings, mail shouldn't be getting sent to lithium's servers.

That was my question...

The MX Records all point to Google Apps, I've confirmed this twice on all domains in question.
I've never seen this before. If they use Google Apps, why is it outlook.com trying to relay mail through one of our hosting servers?
The Lithium side of things is correct, since MX all point to Google, there's nothing else to do on our end.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

why is it outlook.com trying to relay mail through one of our hosting servers?

Could be DNS propagation delay

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Could be DNS propagation delay
The issue started on Monday morning and seems to have persisted through today. It's possible it's DNS propagation delay, though if that were the case I'd expect it to clear up tomorrow at the latest.

The reason the error message indicates outlook.com is that the bounce comes from people trying to send mail to us, not trying to send outbound mail. I was testing with my personal email (exchange hosted through office365) so we get that error. We've had other people tell us their mail is bouncing, so I can assume it's not a problem at that end.

I'll look into if something is messed up on the google end once my company figures out wtf the google apps admin account is.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Booley posted:

The issue started on Monday morning and seems to have persisted through today. It's possible it's DNS propagation delay, though if that were the case I'd expect it to clear up tomorrow at the latest.

The reason the error message indicates outlook.com is that the bounce comes from people trying to send mail to us, not trying to send outbound mail. I was testing with my personal email (exchange hosted through office365) so we get that error. We've had other people tell us their mail is bouncing, so I can assume it's not a problem at that end.

I'll look into if something is messed up on the google end once my company figures out wtf the google apps admin account is.

It is not DNS propagation. I do not know why Office365 is not respecting the MX Records.

Also:

Edit:
Please note, c110.lithium.hosting is 209.133.209.123, so I don't know why any server would route to it.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DarkLotus posted:

It is not DNS propagation. I do not know why Office365 is not respecting the MX Records.

Also:

Edit:
Please note, c110.lithium.hosting is 209.133.209.123, so I don't know why any server would route to it.

At this point I'm not getting any more bounces from any email accounts I can use to send mail to the company, so it seems to be resolved unless I start getting more reports from our customers. I think I'm going to file this one under WTF.

Thanks for all your assistance.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
From the wrong thread that I posted in:

zfleeman posted:

The web design/development thread must be on DB3, or something, so I'm going to ask my potentially asinine question here.

I run a headless server in my basement that hosts my low-traffic websites/low-traffic every other project I work on. It's dinky and held together with paperclips and duct tape, but it has worked for me for the most part for many years. Well, I'm kind of fed up with random outages and router+AT&T modem issues, so I'm looking to migrate a lot of the things I do on my server to some hosting service. My roommate suggested that I use a LAMP instance with AWS, and even though that EC2 service is free for 12 months, it kind of sounds like overkill for what I need it to do: host a couple simple websites I have built with HTML and PHP. I also need to upload four JPEGs a minute via FTP for my security camera.

I'm not super well-versed on what AWS can provide me. Most, if not all of my knowledge in this realm is self-taught without any formal training, so forgive me if I'm being incredibly ignorant. I think AWS would get the job done for what I need it to do, but if there is a cheaper long-term solution to my very simple hosting needs, I'm all ears.

TLDR: I need a cheap/low-maintenance host. Any suggestions?

It looks like Dreamhost is having some deal right now with a pcmag coupon. I hosted with them in 2011 until I bought my own server. I had no complaints and $5.95/mo for a year sounds reasonable. Anybody hate Dreamhost?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zfleeman posted:

Anybody hate Dreamhost?

Most people, it seems.

Though, I've had no problem with them for like a decade for the same sort of usage you're describing.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Dreamhost is bad - unless you don't care about reliability. But since you said you're fed up with outages, I wouldn't suggest Dreamhost.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

zfleeman posted:

From the wrong thread that I posted in:

It looks like Dreamhost is having some deal right now with a pcmag coupon. I hosted with them in 2011 until I bought my own server. I had no complaints and $5.95/mo for a year sounds reasonable. Anybody hate Dreamhost?

Hell, $5.95/mo is basically the same price as a small VPS, which would give you a lot more control.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Most people, it seems.

Though, I've had no problem with them for like a decade for the same sort of usage you're describing.

That's kind of what I'm thinking about. I'm very non-committal about web development. I host some static pages, a directory for podcast files, and I have aspirations to maybe make some Rails/Django apps someday. How would Dreamhost not satisfy my needs?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Thalagyrt posted:

Hell, $5.95/mo is basically the same price as a small VPS, which would give you a lot more control.

And a lot more responsibility to keep your machine secure, which often don't go hand-in-hand.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Why not just the cheap annual plan from Lithium then? $6/mo sounds like a lot to be paying for cookie cutter shared hosting these days.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

rawrr posted:

Why not just the cheap annual plan from Lithium then? $6/mo sounds like a lot to be paying for cookie cutter shared hosting these days.

b/c this wasn't working. Looked sketchy to me? idk.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

zfleeman posted:

b/c this wasn't working. Looked sketchy to me? idk.

LOL, goon fail! The new updates we pushed out broke the goon plans :(

Edit:
Fixed!

Seriously, PM me and I'll give you 50% your first month since you pointed that out :q:

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 13, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are there any reasources to see what websites block which VPN providers, other than seeing messages like:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-mini-2-16GB-WiFi/30146246" on this server.

Reference #18.9ccffea5.1448392108.c1c5ec8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i got a bunch of neat stuff from linode for bothering them on twitter including a t-shirt, a cool little usb charger thing with chargers for all types of plugs, a wristband, a bunch of stickers and lip balm for some reason

thanks, linode :3: