Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nictuku
Mar 25, 2016

DarkLotus posted:

You could start with talking to those of us in the business.
I know I'd give you honest feedback.

From there you can go to WHT and see what happens.

Thank you. I assume I can just write it here?

I'm creating a database-as-a-service infrastructure, so providers can sell managed MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, etc to their customers.

My job is to deploy clustered database and then maintain, backup, monitor, make everything fault-tolerant and auto-scaled. If the database breaks, I'm the one to fix it. Since my cost to run a 1GB RAM server is the same as running a 128GB server, I'd charge a flat fee per server. The fee would be low enough to make this super attractive to hosting providers.

The hosting provider would be responsible for 1) servers, network, etc; 2) customer acquisition; 3) customer support.

Since these are things that hosting providers are already very good at, I see this a win-win for everyone. Customers get managed services from providers they like; providers get new revenue with little extra operational overhead and; I get my fair share too! Providers can either get new customers, or upsell their existing ones.

I see a bunch of managed MongoDB companies popping up, including one acquired by IBM (compose.io), so there's gotta be a market for this, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

nictuku posted:

I'm creating a database-as-a-service infrastructure, so providers can sell managed MongoDB, MySQL, Redis, etc to their customers.
You're competing with PaaS providers now in a highly specialized segment. While not entirely bad, what's your value proposition over other providers who do web servers, apps monitoring, etc as well? (Heroku comes to mind)

quote:

My job is to deploy clustered database and then maintain, backup, monitor, make everything fault-tolerant and auto-scaled. If the database breaks, I'm the one to fix it. Since my cost to run a 1GB RAM server is the same as running a 128GB server, I'd charge a flat fee per server. The fee would be low enough to make this super attractive to hosting providers.
So you're selling the hands time and neither the platform nor the infrastructure to run the database?

quote:

The hosting provider would be responsible for 1) servers, network, etc; 2) customer acquisition; 3) customer support.
Appears so.

quote:

Since these are things that hosting providers are already very good at, I see this a win-win for everyone. Customers get managed services from providers they like; providers get new revenue with little extra operational overhead and; I get my fair share too! Providers can either get new customers, or upsell their existing ones.
So you deploy a database, optimize on generic metrics, and peace out? What happens when a database croaks? If you install it, you're doubly responsible to ensure it's running even after an abrupt system crash. MySQL is particularly quarrelsome on crashes before MariaDB 10 offlining tables until they are manually checked...

quote:

I see a bunch of managed MongoDB companies popping up, including one acquired by IBM (compose.io), so there's gotta be a market for this, right?
Maybe. I'd see it being very niche. Most providers that have the capability to deploy enormous databases usually have a dedicated DBA team on site to fix whatever pops up.

I could see this being a complementary service to something like ServerPilot, which I hold my own reservations as to the actual efficacy of, to wannabe sysadmins who purchase VPSes that have no earthly clue as to what they are doing. Throw in a simple monitoring dashboard that works with all of the NoSQL/RDBMS' out there, attach a $0 price tag, and charge on support (charge hand over fist might I add!) and you have a product that could be received very warmly for IaaS providers like Linode, DO, and Vultr.

Edit:

For premium version add: easy clustering and replication.

For free version: background optimization like what ktune/tuned does, e.g. mysqltuner.pl

Database loads adjust over time. Having something constantly working in the background, monitoring, making inferences, and then tuning to squeeze maximum performance out would be a killer feature. If you were to make an easy sell, that's the feature that would arouse my interest.

nem fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 19, 2016

nictuku
Mar 25, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I was afraid nobody would.

nem posted:

You're competing with PaaS providers now in a highly specialized segment. While not entirely bad, what's your value proposition over other providers who do web servers, apps monitoring, etc as well? (Heroku comes to mind)

So you're selling the hands time and neither the platform nor the infrastructure to run the database?

Appears so.

PaaS locks people up into their semi-prioprietary APIs. People that need large databases don't like that. We (me+hosting provider) would offer managed open-source databases, but with very high reliability.

quote:

So you deploy a database, optimize on generic metrics, and peace out? What happens when a database croaks? If you install it, you're doubly responsible to ensure it's running even after an abrupt system crash. MySQL is particularly quarrelsome on crashes before MariaDB 10 offlining tables until they are manually checked...

We deploy a clustering solution and we manage it in a centralized way and watch for problems, proactively. They are called MicroClusters: logical grouping of servers that offer one service (e.g: MySQL), but that have their own miniaturized management, monitoring and self-healing capabilities.

We won't deploy and forget. We give an SLA for the solution. We monitor the performance of the clusters all the time using standardized probes. If the performance is off for some reason, it's our job to fix it. Hardware problems? We would diagnose that and contact the hosting partner - or follow whatever procedure we agree, e.g: open a ticket to replace a faulty disk. Any glitch or crash is also our responsibility. Whenever a customer bumps into a problem that we didn't detect before, we would fix the problem, provide them a postmortem and fix our automation to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Is this closer to what you had in mind?

quote:

Edit:

For premium version add: easy clustering.

I'm thinking all versions will have clustering capability. I get paid only when folks add more servers. But they can start with one (if they are OK with a high MTTR to restore from backups). If they add more they just have to pay the flat fee for that. No artificial "clustering" tax. Is that reasonable?

quote:

For free version: background optimization like what ktune/tuned does, e.g. mysqltuner.pl

Database loads adjust over time. Having something constantly working in the background, monitoring, making inferences, and then tuning to squeeze maximum performance out would be a killer feature. If you were to make an easy sell, that's the feature to have.

Absolutely. The management agent has the ability to detect slow queries. What i'm planning to do in V1 is to send user detailed reports about their slowest queries. In v2, I'd love to do what you said.

quote:

Maybe. I'd see it being very niche. Most providers that have the capability to deploy enormous databases usually have a dedicated DBA team on site to fix whatever pops up.

What I'm trying to make happen is to give smaller providers the chance of doing that, without a dedicated DBA, because we'll do the DBA work for them. Let's assume this works as planned - would SMB providers likely find a market for this with their customers?

EDIT:

Would Linode, DO, etc be interested in something like I properly described now? (besides the one you described).

EDIT2: I think I get what you mean. That would make IaaS folks happy because the wannabes would probably host that thing on their infrastructure...

nictuku fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 19, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nictuku posted:

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I was afraid nobody would.

PaaS locks people up into their semi-prioprietary APIs. People that need large databases don't like that. We (me+hosting provider) would offer managed open-source databases, but with very high reliability.

We deploy a clustering solution and we manage it in a centralized way and watch for problems, proactively. They are called MicroClusters: logical grouping of servers that offer one service (e.g: MySQL), but that have their own miniaturized management, monitoring and self-healing capabilities.

We won't deploy and forget. We give an SLA for the solution. We monitor the performance of the clusters all the time using standardized probes. If the performance is off for some reason, it's our job to fix it. Hardware problems? We would diagnose that and contact the hosting partner - or follow whatever procedure we agree, e.g: open a ticket to replace a faulty disk. Any glitch or crash is also our responsibility. Whenever a customer bumps into a problem that we didn't detect before, we would fix the problem, provide them a postmortem and fix our automation to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Is this closer to what you had in mind?

I'm thinking all versions will have clustering capability. I get paid only when folks add more servers. But they can start with one (if they are OK with a high MTTR to restore from backups). If they add more they just have to pay the flat fee for that. No artificial "clustering" tax. Is that reasonable?

Absolutely. The management agent has the ability to detect slow queries. What i'm planning to do in V1 is to send user detailed reports about their slowest queries. In v2, I'd love to do what you said.

What I'm trying to make happen is to give smaller providers the chance of doing that, without a dedicated DBA, because we'll do the DBA work for them. Let's assume this works as planned - would SMB providers likely find a market for this with their customers?

EDIT:

Would Linode, DO, etc be interested in something like I properly described now? (besides the one you described).

EDIT2: I think I get what you mean. That would make IaaS folks happy because the wannabes would probably host that thing on their infrastructure...

You're targeting a market that doesn't exist. Smaller hosts that can't run their own databases won't have customers that need those features. Bigger hosts can do it without you. Your best bet is to start doing it and offer it to end users while at the same time spend a lot of time trying to sell it to larger hosts with customers who could use this kind of thing. If you make a product that has a lot of end users support you're likely to get on the radar of the medium size hosts that would want something like this.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

nictuku posted:

Your technocratic elevator pitch sounds very good!

quote:

Caveat: peaking into VPS hardware logs is impossible. I'd be careful that you do not overpromise on SLA and leave that for bare metal clients. Keep the probes and generate emails/push alerts/SNMP traps. Something like Pushover or Boxcar is great for that. I tie it into my Monit configuration to get alerts on-the-go.

quote:

Yes

quote:

Now you've lost my interest. Grepping a slow query log + running EXPLAIN on the queries doesn't give me enough incentive to keep it running. I may fire up the app once or twice to see what, if anything, is wrong with my database then forget about it.

Add triggers, like load average or query/sec watermarks. Make the app intelligent and, more importantly, give the end user some sense of empowerment by running it. As if the end user had a DBA he could fire the DBA as your software "provides" the necessary "functionality of a DBA". I use these terms loosely, but my point is to ensure the app gives that impression.

quote:

What ElCondemn said \/ \/. That is your business plan.

ElCondemn posted:

If you make a product that has a lot of end users support you're likely to get on the radar of the medium size hosts that would want something like this.

Ding ding ding!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Wow, this discussion really got going since last night.

I do agree with nem and ElCondemn, they've both made some very good and valid points.

I think you have a good idea but I agree it will be hard to market to smaller hosts and larger hosts.
You really should focus on the users, developers that could benefit from your services, the ones that roll their own servers and manage everything themselves.
Eventually they decide that day to day management could be better handled by someone else.
If you get enough support from those types of users, word will spread through the community and you will get noticed by the medium sized hosts that could benefit from your services.

I personally wouldn't see Lithium Hosting utilizing your services. Just based on the current needs of my customers, there are only a few that even even asked for MongoDB or Redis support, and none have ever asked for clustered MySQL.
It's definitely a niche market but that doesn't mean it can't be lucrative. If you market your product correctly and find some vendors / companies to partner with, you'll do great!

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.

Rufus Ping posted:

you should probably lay off the snark given you seem to be chasing after features from 2003

Assuming this is about your business website:
- transfer your domain from godaddy to somewhere reputable (Google Domains offer free DNS hosting and email forwarding to gmail)
- host your wordpress on WPEngine which is fully managed (wordpress is a complete nightmare to run safely, especially if you use third party plugins)
- please explain why you think it is acceptable to run an online shop without SSL in 2016

Not sure if you're being serious about the snark remark, but my snark is 100% directed towards InMotion hosting. OBVIOUSLY FTP and Webmail should be features included with all hosting and without any issues at all in 2016. That's my point. They have put 5 reps on the issues I have and still haven't solved them. I'm sure any Goon-run hosting service could have these 2 simple things running without issue immediately. Again, that's my point. I'm certainly not very knowledgable about hosting services/features, and that's why I'm here! :)

To address your bullets:

- Nope, different website, but still a WordPress.
- I'll look into that; I've never heard of it.
- I'm not. I run no shops, but I do see that (likely due to the last WordPress auto-update), the "cart" icon got turned on on my header.

nem posted:

Any particular reason you want to gravitate towards a big-box host that reduces your account to ink on a 10-K filing? Those are all very reasonable requests that either DarkLotus (Lithium) or myself pride ourselves on providing for clients.

To be honest, I've only really ever used big-box hosts. The only reason I even discovered that there were Goons running hosting services was when I popped into this thread to complain about InMotion hosting and to ask for recommendations on other hosts. I saw the OP, then included those in my recommendation request/info-about question, etc.

UGAmazing fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 19, 2016

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

UGAmazing posted:

OBVIOUSLY FTP and Webmail should be features included with all hosting and without any issues at all in 2016

they certainly should not. FTP is an insecure relic of the 90s that has long been superseded by SFTP. Similarly having your web host run your email infrastructure hasn't been relevant since 2006, when Google launched Google Apps.

Things have come a long way since the days of cPanel and proftpd and SquirrelMail - thank god.

UGAmazing posted:

- Nope, different website, but still a WordPress.
- I'll look into that; I've never heard of it.
- I'm not. I run no shops, but I do see that (likely due to the last WordPress auto-update), the "cart" icon got turned on on my header.

Good to see you've resolved the shopping cart problem on your other site. You're still collecting personal information though, so still need to deploy SSL.

I stand by my advice about getting off GoDaddy and looking at WPEngine

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.

Rufus Ping posted:

they certainly should not. FTP is an insecure relic of the 90s that has long been superseded by SFTP. Similarly having your web host run your email infrastructure hasn't been relevant since 2006, when Google launched Google Apps.

Things have come a long way since the days of cPanel and proftpd and SquirrelMail - thank god.

Good to see you've resolved the shopping cart problem on your other site. You're still collecting personal information though, so still need to deploy SSL.

Thanks! Yeah, shows how much I know about hosting; my only issues (as a hosting layperson) with InMotion was that I literally could not connect to the server using the information they say "should" work. It would time out every single time. I think most hosting-uneducated people who have websites--and aren't really the most savvy at all the technical aspects of hosting--didn't realize there was an alternative to FTP (is SFTP simply "secure" FTP? If so, that's what I use, I just call it FTP; it's the encrypted file transfer in FileZilla...if that's totally incorrect, my apologies). As for webmail--I'll look into the Google Apps you mentioned. Again, never heard of them, so thank you!

I did have an SSL certificate through my host that I thought was for 3 years (starting March 2015), so that's a little disappointing. I'll look into what's up with that.

edit: Yes, I actually did have an SSL but had to renew it each year. I've just renewed it, and it's pending, but should be sent/done soon--thank you for the heads up!

UGAmazing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 19, 2016

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Rufus Ping posted:

Auth TLS would like to have a word with you... WPEngine's definition of a visitor looks a little vague. I'd recommend shopping around, maybe trying some goon-run providers. I'd say if DL and I have both been in business for a decade, we must be doing something right, besides sleight of hand. I run my own panel. DL runs cPanel. Pick whatever works best for you. Hardware these days, unless you grossly overcommit, and run everything off disk with zero caching, will handle traffic surges no problem. And VPS is no panacea.

UGAmazing posted:

To be honest, I've only really ever used big-box hosts. The only reason I even discovered that there were Goons running hosting services was when I popped into this thread to complain about InMotion hosting and to ask for recommendations on other hosts. I saw the OP, then included those in my recommendation request/info-about question, etc.

The only big box host that I can think of run by and therefore directly influenced by was Tim Dorr with A Small Orange. He started out here... maybe in 2006? SA-Mart was oversaturated, so he took his advertising over to Neowin and the rest is history. He sold it back in 2010, I believe, to HostGator and now a mentor over at ATDC, an incubator in Atlanta. That's really the only big box provider founded by a goon. Mr Bean was a CXO at HostGator, but far from having a direct hand in operations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what's the name of that big company that owns a bunch of shared hosting providers and everyone says is really bad?

vvvvv thanks

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 26, 2016

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

fuf posted:

what's the name of that big company that owns a bunch of shared hosting providers and everyone says is really bad?

EIG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

a63548
Mar 20, 2004
Haven't posted here in a long time and thought this would be the perfect time to. I have used roughly 12 different dedicated server companies through my life such as Layered Technologies, Sago Networks, Softlayer, Limestone Networks, Leaseweb, Singlehop, WebNX, 100tb.com, GIGEnet, and Quadranet. Some were good, while some were amazing. Some have extra features that help make them a better provider in my opinion. Such features might includes DNS Hosting, Automated OS Reloads, DDOS Protection, and even something as small as being able to remote reboot.

Out of all of the providers I mentioned, I always kept coming back to Quadranet. I would of course love to use Softlayer, but their prices have seemed too expensive for me for a long time. Quadranet has consistently been my go to provider for dedicated servers for many reasons. For instance, their network is excellent, quality support technicians, consistently have great deals/promos, and very reasonable pricing.

For instance, one of their lower end spec dedicated server deals:

Intel Xeon X3220 Quad Core - 2.4Ghz, 8M Cache, 1066FSB *
8GB RAM
500GB SATA 7,200RPM HDD
Dual Gigabit NICs 1U Supermicro Server - 2x HDD Bays
KVM over IP, Remote Power Control, and more

10TB Monthly Public Transfer
Unlimited Monthly Private Transfer
100 Mbps Public/Private Network Uplinks
/29 IPv4 Allocation - 5 Usable IPs
/64 IPv6 Allocation - Millions of IPs
Private VLAN
Remote Reboot
Available in: Los Angeles
INCLUDES: Noction Intelligent Routing Platform Enabled Network
INCLUDES: 3Gbps Detect & Mitigate QuadraNet VEST DDoS Protection
$39 per month, $0 setup

For +$5/mth, you can upgrade to 1TB drive
Also if you ask nicely, they may upgrade your network port to 1000mbit for an extra $5/mth

http://banners.quadranet.com/lowendbox-xeon/order.php?width=500&height=700&package=1

Also here is the link to this specific deal on webhostingtalk.com: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1594399

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but it is such a good deal I don't want people to miss out on. I am in no way affiliated with or work at Quadranet. If needed, I can provide a test IP, or speed test file

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
+1ing this, have had ton of gear at quadra since forever (LA only)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
None of you goon-run hosts have UK locations right? Any recommendations for good UK VPS / dedicated providers beyond the obvious DO, Linode etc.?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
bigv.io (cheaper) / bytemark.co.uk (premium, same company) has never let me down

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Looking for web hosting that
1) is located in the EU (and probably not UK)
2) offers shell access to run deployment scripts (but not necessarily background jobs)
3) has PHP and SQL
and is otherwise bog standard. I definitely do not want to manage a VPS.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

nielsm posted:

2) offers shell access to run deployment scripts (but not necessarily background jobs)

Check out phpshell if all you need is a way of running non-interactive scripts on a host as your web user.

Of course lots of hosts hate people running it rather than locking down the machine properly.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

Looking for web hosting that
1) is located in the EU (and probably not UK)
3) has PHP and SQL
and is otherwise bog standard. I definitely do not want to manage a VPS.

https://www.webfaction.com/
Softlayer
Netherlands
SSH + peristent processes + reverse proxy to any service you run by default

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

https://www.webfaction.com/
Softlayer
Netherlands
SSH + peristent processes + reverse proxy to any service you run by default

That looks very good, thanks.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I host a couple of websites for people who still control their own domain, so every time I move their site somewhere I have to give them an IP address and ask them to update their DNS A records. It's a hassle.

Is there a solution I can get myself a more permanent IP (which I can give out to people), but still have the flexibility of moving sites around the whole time?

Like if I had one server with a permanent IP that forwarded requests on to other servers? What's that called? A routing server / proxy server? I'm out of my depth...

It would be cool if A records had more flexibility, so I could do them like CNAME records and say "hey if you want the A record for this domain go and check this other domain".

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Try cloud flare. They'll have something that might make your life easier.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

jaegerx posted:

Try cloud flare. They'll have something that might make your life easier.

Thanks. Hmmm looks like cloudflare requires you to use their nameservers rather than just an IP unfortunately.

If it was a nameserver issue I'd be ok because I could just get people to use my vanity nameservers, but it's specifically a few people who want to keep control of their DNS (for email stuff) so I have to give them just an IP for their A record.

Bonus question: what's the difference between OVZ and KVM when advertised on VPS sites like this?
https://loveservers.com/

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
One works as a usable VPS (KVM)
One is useless complete shite (OpenVZ)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"OpenVZ: hope your stack doesn't have Docker in it!"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fuf posted:

Thanks. Hmmm looks like cloudflare requires you to use their nameservers rather than just an IP unfortunately.

If it was a nameserver issue I'd be ok because I could just get people to use my vanity nameservers, but it's specifically a few people who want to keep control of their DNS (for email stuff) so I have to give them just an IP for their A record.

Bonus question: what's the difference between OVZ and KVM when advertised on VPS sites like this?
https://loveservers.com/

I believe that cloudflare has different packages, and only certain features require using their nameservers.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Salt Fish posted:

I believe that cloudflare has different packages, and only certain features require using their nameservers.

That is correct. You can either pass the entire domain through CF by using their nameservers or individually pass hostnames through CF by changing the IP address, which retains your nameserver settings.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

"OpenVZ: hope your stack doesn't have Docker in it!"

OpenVZ: hope your stack doesn't need the ability to touch anything involving the network, VPNs, docker, FUSE, internal networking, memory mapped anything, ... or anything other than plain wordpress

OpenVZ: use kvm

https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/7.0/ posted:

This OpenVZ 7.0 release provides the following major improvements:

RHEL7 (3.10+) kernel.

KVM/QEMU hypervisor.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Salt Fish posted:

nem posted:

That is correct. You can either pass the entire domain through CF by using their nameservers or individually pass hostnames through CF by changing the IP address, which retains your nameserver settings.

I think I'm missing something. I've signed up and played around and looked through all the documentation and I can't find any references to using CF without also using their nameservers (except for people saying you can't do it).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

I think I'm missing something. I've signed up and played around and looked through all the documentation and I can't find any references to using CF without also using their nameservers (except for people saying you can't do it).

you have to use their ns's unless you're enterprise

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Biowarfare posted:

you have to use their ns's unless you're enterprise

Ah, or go through a certified hosting partner.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking for a web host for two domains, both small and low traffic. The first domain has a single WordPress installation. The second will have a WordPress installation and a Django installation. My current hosting doesn't work with Django so I'm looking to switch. I'm currently paying about $15 a month for all of this and I'd like to keep it about the same.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

huhu posted:

I'm looking for a web host for two domains, both small and low traffic. The first domain has a single WordPress installation. The second will have a WordPress installation and a Django installation. My current hosting doesn't work with Django so I'm looking to switch. I'm currently paying about $15 a month for all of this and I'd like to keep it about the same.

I would highly recommend Lithium Hosting. I mean, I'm sure you've seen DarkLotus posting all over this thread, but I'd just like to chime in and say LI's been perfect for my hosting needs. Very responsive to tickets and support (especially considering that I am a huge idiot :)), and very affordable as well.

Can I ask a domain question in here, or is there a better thread for that? Here goes, just in case:

How do domain auctions work? I found a domain that would be worth at least $1000 to a new client, and the auction is in less than 3 days. He wants to place a bid, but I want him to do it through the proper channels. I'd hate to have him make a bid somewhere shady only to lose his money.

Also, what is the best way to value a domain? Since it's an auction I assume we won't really have any way of knowing how high of a bid he needs to make to get the domain, but if we had an idea of a ballpark it would be a big help.

So, in summary: Domain Auctions: How Do They Work?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

timp posted:

I would highly recommend Lithium Hosting. I mean, I'm sure you've seen DarkLotus posting all over this thread, but I'd just like to chime in and say LI's been perfect for my hosting needs. Very responsive to tickets and support (especially considering that I am a huge idiot :)), and very affordable as well.

Thanks for the plug.

huhu posted:

The Django support on shared hosting works but it might require a bit of patience to get working properly.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
no offense toward lithium (have used them before for a php blog and it was good) but cPanel + anything but php (this includes ruby, python, etc) is literal hell, especially if cloudlinux/jail/weird chrooting of home directories is in place, and dealing with dependencies is really really wtf.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

no offense toward lithium (have used them before for a php blog and it was good) but cPanel + anything but php (this includes ruby, python, etc) is literal hell, especially if cloudlinux/jail/weird chrooting of home directories is in place, and dealing with dependencies is really really wtf.

That's why I said it works, but...

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

That's why I said it works, but...
:sigh:

Wish I'd seen Biowarfare's post before getting started.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

huhu posted:

:sigh:

Wish I'd seen Biowarfare's post before getting started.

He didn't say it doesn't work, just that it's a bit complicated.
We do have plenty of Python and Ruby apps running and they work well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
linode is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Ended up going with webfaction.com which has a roughly 2 minute Django setup which was nice.