Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Namecheap offers this PremiumDNS thingy that's $5/year. On the one hand it's only :10bux:/2/year, but on the other hand I don't know if its just bullshit. Any input?

https://www.namecheap.com/security/premiumdns.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
e: Fixed

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 21, 2016

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
are you saying you're browsing the web without ipv4? :confused:

if lithium's infrastructure is dual stack just disable ipv6 on your computer temporarily

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rufus Ping posted:

if lithium's infrastructure is dual stack just disable ipv6 on your computer temporarily

Oh, I guess that works. I wonder how it works with carrier-grade NAT though - do they just open it up for everyone on the gateway?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Namecheap offers this PremiumDNS thingy that's $5/year. On the one hand it's only :10bux:/2/year, but on the other hand I don't know if its just bullshit. Any input?

https://www.namecheap.com/security/premiumdns.aspx

Register your domains with Google and you get all that for free

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh, I guess that works. I wonder how it works with carrier-grade NAT though - do they just open it up for everyone on the gateway?

yeah presumably it would have that effect - but I'd be more worried that you wouldn't necessarily have a static IP

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Rufus Ping posted:

Lithium is dual stack, not sure what the original question was since the post has been edited.
If it's what I think, he was trying to access an account that has access restricted to a single IP while issues are resolved.
We require an IPv4 address for this process which he was unable to provide at the time.
Disabling IPv6 on his end forced IPv4 and everything is working as expected.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo GoDaddy sucks poo poo.

The boss setup our small website up with them. I can't get cpanel emails to receive at all. They are blaming everyone else and trying to upsell me to dedicated email hosting. We are low volume, cpanel has worked great on other hosting, I personally have a Lithium account and it works fine.

Is Godaddy full of poo poo or do I need dedicated hosting?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The boss setup our small website up with them. I can't get cpanel emails to receive at all. They are blaming everyone else and trying to upsell me to dedicated email hosting. We are low volume, cpanel has worked great on other hosting, I personally have a Lithium account and it works fine.

I used to deal with GoDaddy on a near daily basis, and everytime I've needed to call them with questions or something they've been really helpful. Even when I would suggest I was willing to spend money or be upsold, they'd advise against it if it wasn't the solution that made the most sense.

That being said their website builder is loving garbage. IMO you'd be way better off with your own setup for that reason alone!

fake edit: I'm now remembering some of the technical issues that they used to run into...their site feels like it's been forced into web 2.0 by gussying up a web 1.0 website if that makes any sense, but in terms of pricing and service I suppose I have no complaints with them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I don't know what email issue you have, but just off the top of my head; have cPanel deliver to a local box, then setup your gmail or whatever to grab the mail via IMAP. This will sort out any public internet deliverabilty issues.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just use Google Apps gmail for your domain and be done with it! And don't use GoDaddy for anything, ever.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We can't receive any email from outside, and Godaddy has pretty much told me to contact them (google, hotmail, etc..)
So I think I'm going to give that Google Apps a whirl, that looks really nice. Thanks!

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 23, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

We can't receive any email from outside, and Godaddy has pretty much told me to contact them (google, hotmail, etc..)
So I think I'm going to give that Google Apps a whirl, that looks really nice. Thanks!

Unless godaddy is blocking port 25 or 583 this sounds like a problem on your end. Running mail servers should be banned in tyol 2016 anyway.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It's hosted by their webhosing though the cpanel. Anyway we went with Google and everyone is happy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Since the EIG take over, Bluehost has gotten progressively worse. The box we are on is sooo incredibly slow. At this point it's like being hosted behind a 56k modem... Bluehost has been less than helpful in trying to fix it. So looking for a new shared host that isn't EIG owned.

Our site is a Wordpress driven business portfolio website. Sees anywhere between 200 and 400 hits a day. Need nothing special beyond what is required for Wordpress to work and FTP. Looking at the past few months we have anywhere from 15 to 35GB of bandwidth use in a given month and about 5GB in storage used.

Recommendations?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

stevewm posted:

Since the EIG take over, Bluehost has gotten progressively worse. The box we are on is sooo incredibly slow. At this point it's like being hosted behind a 56k modem... Bluehost has been less than helpful in trying to fix it. So looking for a new shared host that isn't EIG owned.

Our site is a Wordpress driven business portfolio website. Sees anywhere between 200 and 400 hits a day. Need nothing special beyond what is required for Wordpress to work and FTP. Looking at the past few months we have anywhere from 15 to 35GB of bandwidth use in a given month and about 5GB in storage used.

Recommendations?

Use a goon host, we love making people happy. Check the OP, there is Lithium and Apis, you can't go wrong with either.
Lithium does free migrations from Bluehost., I'm sure Apis will help with your migration from Bluehost as well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

Use a goon host, we love making people happy. Check the OP, there is Lithium and Apis, you can't go wrong with either.
Lithium does free migrations from Bluehost., I'm sure Apis will help with your migration from Bluehost as well.

OK :D

I just want a host where every action in the Wordpress backend doesn't take 5+ seconds to execute!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

stevewm posted:

OK :D

I just want a host where every action in the Wordpress backend doesn't take 5+ seconds to execute!

Take your pick, pretty much anyone not owned by EIG will fit the bill for that.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Haha WOW, I've had an account with Apis since 2003 2004

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 27, 2016

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Two random questions.

1) How come Plesk subscription costs are different depending on if you're using it on a VPS or dedicated server? If I have a beast of a VPS couldn't I feasibly host more sites than on a measly dedicated server?

2) Any thoughts on using http://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/ to help pick my next provider? Are there any other similar sites? I need to switch and I really wanna get it right before I migrate a bunch of sites. Currently my default plan is to go back to Digital Ocean just because it's kinda reassuring to use a big name. But I'm sure there must be a better deal out there somewhere.
(would go for a goon host but I need a UK location)

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

fuf posted:

Two random questions.

1) How come Plesk subscription costs are different depending on if you're using it on a VPS or dedicated server? If I have a beast of a VPS couldn't I feasibly host more sites than on a measly dedicated server?
Dedicated server typically carries a larger workload and/or more clients.

quote:

2) Any thoughts on using http://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/ to help pick my next provider? Are there any other similar sites? I need to switch and I really wanna get it right before I migrate a bunch of sites. Currently my default plan is to go back to Digital Ocean just because it's kinda reassuring to use a big name. But I'm sure there must be a better deal out there somewhere.
(would go for a goon host but I need a UK location)

ServerBear.com, but a VPS is a VPS is a VPS. You're buying a sliver of hardware that is split n-ways between neighboring nodes. VPS really is the new wave of shared hosting: you have the same resource contention possibilities that evolved as shared hosting continued to drive down price. Your VPS performance is contingent upon a few factors:

• Host hardware
  • How oversubscribed the host machine is (machines per core, KSM, memory compaction)
  • What your neighbors are running. Have a core split 16 ways with 15 sites running IO-intensive Node applications? Good luck.

If you end up on a fairly quiet server, then you'll outperform another competitor that boasts better hardware but correspondingly crams more accounts onto a server. VPS really is no panacea for performance. Planning is.

nem fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 28, 2016

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

nem posted:

ServerBear.com
Typo or down?

nem posted:

You're buying a sliver of hardware that is split n-ways between neighboring nodes. VPS really is the new wave of shared hosting: you have the same resource contention possibilities that evolved as shared hosting continued to drive down price. Your VPS performance is contingent upon a few factors:

• Host hardware
  • How oversubscribed the host machine is (machines per core, KSM, memory compaction)
  • What your neighbors are running. Have a core split 16 ways with 15 sites running IO-intensive Node applications? Good luck.

If you end up on a fairly quiet server, then you'll outperform another competitor that boasts better hardware but correspondingly crams more accounts onto a server. VPS really is no panacea for performance. Planning is.

Thanks, this is helpful, if depressing.

Right now I pay for a dedicated server from http://www.serverspace.co.uk/ but I think I'm overpaying given the resources I actually use. And the performance doesn't seem that great. When I run bench.sh (which to be fair only tests network speed to various countries and disk I/O speed) then I actually get way better results on a 1gb DO VPS!

Maybe I need to look into small-ish dedicated servers with SSD storage...

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

fuf posted:

Typo or down?
Down it appears...

quote:

Maybe I need to look into small-ish dedicated servers with SSD storage...

Having full control over your hardware offers the best guarantee of reliability, but even then hardware craps out and you're at the mercy of the data center replacing whatever failed. If you are on a VPS, odds are that at least someone else will notice a performance regression prompting a technician to investigate whereas if you have your own dedi it's up to you to notice and alert them of the issue.

My recommendation is to split up your clients and distribute them over a variety of smaller VPSes. Don't put all of your clients on 1 VPS. You won't react to traffic swells nearly as well, but you also won't be impinged upon by traffic swells from your neighbors.

Way back when I had a VPS with RapidVPS to handle secondary nameserver responsibility. Worked well most of the time, except for intermittent windows where the resolver took upwards to 5+ seconds to respond resulting in a timeout. It wasn't that the VPS was underspec'd but rather the host hardware was.

You can also pop open iostat and check %steal. %steal is the percentage spent waiting for a CPU slice to be processed by the hypervisor. Ideally you want this as low as possible. If you have a high steal % on an idle server, your host machine is horribly oversubscribed.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

nem posted:

Down it appears...

Having full control over your hardware offers the best guarantee of reliability, but even then hardware craps out and you're at the mercy of the data center replacing whatever failed. If you are on a VPS, odds are that at least someone else will notice a performance regression prompting a technician to investigate whereas if you have your own dedi it's up to you to notice and alert them of the issue.

My recommendation is to split up your clients and distribute them over a variety of smaller VPSes. Don't put all of your clients on 1 VPS. You won't react to traffic swells nearly as well, but you also won't be impinged upon by traffic swells from your neighbors.

Way back when I had a VPS with RapidVPS to handle secondary nameserver responsibility. Worked well most of the time, except for intermittent windows where the resolver took upwards to 5+ seconds to respond resulting in a timeout. It wasn't that the VPS was underspec'd but rather the host hardware was.

You can also pop open iostat and check %steal. %steal is the percentage spent waiting for a CPU slice to be processed by the hypervisor. Ideally you want this as low as possible. If you have a high steal % on an idle server, your host machine is horribly oversubscribed.

Yeah splitting them up across multiple VPSes makes a lot of sense... it just means more work for me haha. Also paying for multiple Plesk licenses... (if I commit to Plesk - I've been trying it out the last couple of weeks and like it a lot). The plan was to try and centralise everything under a single Plesk install so I can spend less time setting up and maintaining sites for clients who hardly pay me anything for hosting anyway.

Thanks for that %steal tip, that's super useful to know.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

fuf posted:

Yeah splitting them up across multiple VPSes makes a lot of sense... it just means more work for me haha. Also paying for multiple Plesk licenses... (if I commit to Plesk - I've been trying it out the last couple of weeks and like it a lot). The plan was to try and centralise everything under a single Plesk install so I can spend less time setting up and maintaining sites for clients who hardly pay me anything for hosting anyway.

Thanks for that %steal tip, that's super useful to know.

Time to learn Ansible or Salt then automate flow across multiple machines. I'm bringing Apis' control panel, apnscp, to market near the end of Q1 2017 so be on the lookout for that as well. You'll have elements of CloudLinux's isolation/compartmentalization technology as well as a sweet panel + built-in security.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nem posted:

Time to learn Ansible or Salt then automate flow across multiple machines. I'm bringing Apis' control panel, apnscp, to market near the end of Q1 2017 so be on the lookout for that as well. You'll have elements of CloudLinux's isolation/compartmentalization technology as well as a sweet panel + built-in security.

What form will the built in security take ?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

jre posted:

What form will the built in security take ?

Several forms that I've established over the years as best practices for clients to keep the riffraff out:

• Restrict well-known URIs (e.g. /wp-content/uploads) to serve only static content and disallow overrides
  • Optionally disallow HTTP/1.0 requests to filter out spam bots
  • File upload malware scrubbing
  • Automated brute-force blocks (3/5/10 rule) with recidivism
  • DoS filtering via mod_evasive/fail2ban, really more of a deterrent to brute-force xmlrpc attacks, but with limited stopping power for single-IP attacks
  • PHP runs as a separate, underprivileged user. CP includes one-click fortification profiles that map what access a PHP app needs and then enforces it. Map generation is open-sourced under the Artistic License, so have fun with it. Think of fortification as a toggleable r/o, r/w, or mixed mode operation for your web site. In the event of a compromise, an attacker is limited to only those files privileged and not your email, confidential files, or security keys.
  • Node/Ruby/Python run isolated to your account preventing filesystem traversal

etc. No policy will thwart 100% of attacks, but it is an effective shield at limiting the opportunities drive-by hackers have and those are often times the most obnoxious. It's also perplexing why other panels/platforms don't ship with such security policies in place. :sigh:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

nem posted:

CP includes one-click fortification profiles that map what access a PHP app needs and then enforces it. Map generation is open-sourced under the Artistic License, so have fun with it. Think of fortification as a toggleable r/o, r/w, or mixed mode operation for your web site. In the event of a compromise, an attacker is limited to only those files privileged and not your email, confidential files, or security keys.

Is this not an attempt to re-implement 1/2 of the functionality of selinux, but in php ?

Also your ssl cert for https://getap.is/ expired 2 months ago, people clicking through on your av will find that off-putting

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

jre posted:

Is this not an attempt to re-implement 1/2 of the functionality of selinux, but in php ?
Sort of. It works with ACLs instead of SELinux, which is a simpler for clients to grasp. The only PHP component is checkpointing. Checkpoints create an initial filesystem list, store, then uses setfacl to open up write-access by the web server. After 30 minutes, a changeset is calculated and those results are fed to setfacl again granting mutual permissions to both the web server and docroot owner. Anything not in the changeset is revoked write-access by the web server. You could just as well as feed it to chcon, but most clients who need a panel to host aren't thrilled to get mired in the details of SELinux.

And you can take it one step further to run PHP applications as a separate user via php-fpm. Apply the same checkpoint strategy and instead of feeding the changeset to setfacl -m user:apache... it becomes setfacl -m user:fpmuser

quote:

Also your ssl cert for https://getap.is/ expired 2 months ago, people clicking through on your av will find that off-putting

Hrm, where is that link? getap.is was used as a CDN way back when each CP was a standalone URL. Everything is under 1 CP reverse proxy now (cp.apisnetworks.com) and getap.is should no longer be in use.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
your user title on sa ^<

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Biowarfare posted:

your user title on sa ^<

Aw crap. Thanks for that :blush:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Anybody here got any experience with hosting to mainland China?

We're currently exploring our options and since hosting with serivces like Aliyun or HiChina seems unrealistic due to the necessity of having a local legal entity with ICP and IP records we're looking at services from Japan, Singapore and of course Hong Kong in combination with Content Delivery Networks.

Any recommendations or first-hand-experiences?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Hong Kong and Singapore have Amazon data centres now, performance is OK and you avoid the bureaucracy. Beware most smaller data centres are overpriced and inferior to US hosting, this is predominantly due to pressure from self-hosting and cheap metro-Ethernet connections.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ephex posted:

Anybody here got any experience with hosting to mainland China?

We're currently exploring our options and since hosting with serivces like Aliyun or HiChina seems unrealistic due to the necessity of having a local legal entity with ICP and IP records we're looking at services from Japan, Singapore and of course Hong Kong in combination with Content Delivery Networks.

Any recommendations or first-hand-experiences?

It's all a nightmare and garbage, prepare for unexpected loss of connectivity even within the country. I suggest using Alibaba or Azure if you're going the cloud route, we use china unicom to colocate our gear, and they're supposedly a tier 1 provider but we get excuses like "problem with the undersea cable" constantly.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

ElCondemn posted:

we get excuses like "problem with the undersea cable" constantly.

And then it's fixed an hour later, like they just sent someone down to fix it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i have a lot of experience hosting (for personal side projects, single person, colo + vm + transit) throughout the entirety of southeast asia, china, hk, etc

my suggestion is get hosed for the most part

CDNs will not have chinese access unless you also provide ICP licence/miibeian poo poo to chinese-owned CDNs
almost all the china telecom / china unicom fka netcom peering is overloaded to death and nearly useless at peak hours
GFW will block you anyway if you have questionable content even by accident (or user-generated content) in HK/JP
direct china route is EXPENSIVE from hk, costs separate. CN2 is nice.

depending on provider / budget: your traffic from HK can be routed through los angeles and back into china. or sf/sj. or seattle.
same with singapore, japan.

PS: aliyun cloud is a very interesting beast, they have 6-7 binaries running 24x7 on your VM as root with suid bit set that randomly spews some UDP traffic. killing them results in your vm shutting down and/or losing connectivity. they also appear to periodically poll netstat and other things and send that over UDP.

the default ubuntu image they provision has someone else's leftover log files in /var/log the last time I used it. lmao

if this is for legitimate, major business use and you can grease palms/have guanxi/bribe/have ICP in place/have a local partner, then azure or aws or whatever will be your best bet for anything vaguely resembling english speaking

if you don't want to deal with americans or ICP: find some legitimate HK provider (not sunnyvision), pay out the rear end for CT+CN2+CU direct, and while you're taking it without lube you can bribe a few people for IPv4 at $60/month/IP

ICP: in theory, you can apply for it as a foreign company. in practice, don't waste your time.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 6, 2016

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

ElCondemn posted:

It's all a nightmare and garbage

Biowarfare posted:

my suggestion is get hosed for the most part

Okay, good news.
We found a reliable European partner that has been working in China and with Amazon for 10+ years and will provide us with an AWS account and ICP License.
Pricing is also very reasonable even with an additional MPLS connection to the servers.

Phew :dance:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ephex posted:

Okay, good news.
We found a reliable European partner that has been working in China and with Amazon for 10+ years and will provide us with an AWS account and ICP License.
Pricing is also very reasonable even with an additional MPLS connection to the servers.

Phew :dance:

We've got a partner too, still garbage. If your experience is any good I'd love to get their contact info.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
congrats, you have selected the "guanxi" hosting option!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for colocation hosts in the San Francisco Bay area? I've got a 2U server that I'd like to put someplace with climate control and a decent connection.