Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Unless I'm confusing myself (likely), I think this will lead to Same Origin issues, as Django needs to be served from the same domain and I can't serve Django from S3.

That's what a CORS policy is for. Set your allowed origins as a header in the Django app, and it won't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thalagyrt posted:

That's what a CORS policy is for. Set your allowed origins as a header in the Django app, and it won't be a problem.

Oh yeah. Durr. Thanks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Unless I'm confusing myself (likely), I think this will lead to Same Origin issues, as Django needs to be served from the same domain and I can't serve Django from S3.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/cors.html + http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/VirtualHosting.html

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I need a cheap-ish Linux server to
a) host my wordpress blog that nobody reads, my own custom web apps, some minor static content
b) idle on IRC with

Need it to be located in Europe. Is Linode still what people use?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-kidechire

$2 dedicated server in paris, by free.fr (if you know the company, they are pretty large)

i now own 200 of them

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
What are people's experience with the cheap EU hosting companies? I'm looking to get a dedicated server and I'm not sure if I should go with OVH, Online.net or Hetzner. Looks like either of them will be about €100/month for my needs (a handful of Linux VMs with Apache and PostgreSQL and a DNS slave server). I know support isn't great at this price level, but I'm thinking about network/hardware quality and availability of documentation. What are their management consoles like?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

$2 dedicated server in paris, by free.fr (if you know the company, they are pretty large)

i now own 200 of them

Seems you bought all of them.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Grey Area posted:

What are people's experience with the cheap EU hosting companies? I'm looking to get a dedicated server and I'm not sure if I should go with OVH, Online.net or Hetzner. Looks like either of them will be about €100/month for my needs (a handful of Linux VMs with Apache and PostgreSQL and a DNS slave server). I know support isn't great at this price level, but I'm thinking about network/hardware quality and availability of documentation. What are their management consoles like?

I'd highly recommend Hetzner. I've been using them for a couple of months.
I used to use SoftLayer so I could have a server in EU but switched to Hetzner. Their pricing is ridiculously better than SoftLayer and SoftLayer is a horrible horrible company that doesn't value their customers, only their bottom line... The server I have with Hetzner is also Dell hardware as opposed to the typical Supermicro crap that most dedicated server providers sell.
Management console is basic, but they make it easy to install the OS of choice, instructions for installing the raid software for the controllers they provide. With the Dell servers you get access to the DRAC for full remote server control.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 28, 2014

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

TheFluff posted:

a) host my wordpress blog that nobody reads, my own custom web apps, some minor static content
b) idle on IRC with

There's also cheap VPS providers like RamNode and BuyVM (and others). The former has servers in the Netherlands, the latter recently expanded to Luxembourg.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

I'd highly recommend Hetzner. I've been using them for a couple of months.

You just missed one of their best offers though :(

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

What was it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

What was it?

i7-3770 32gb ram 2x3tb 200mbps guaranteed on gbit
29usd/m no setup

i really loving hate every single european provider's idea of "failover IP" and "automatic server suspension if you bridge a VM, register macaddr first"

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

i7-3770 32gb ram 2x3tb 200mbps guaranteed on gbit
29usd/m no setup

drat, what a shame.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Biowarfare posted:

Biowarfare posted:

i now own 200 of them

it's like you're on a one-man mission to prevent anyone else in here finding a good deal

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

it's like you're on a one-man mission to prevent anyone else in here finding a good deal

OVH has no setup fees until Dec 1 :ssh:

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Rufus Ping posted:

Those 200 servers are going to be put to use by finding and buying out all the best deals.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
So, I didn't think zPanel could get any scummier after their debacle awhile back where one of their moderators swore at someone who was reporting security flaws and claimed there were absolutely no flaws in zPanel, but it looks like they've now deleted their entire support forum and now only offer support to Hostwinds customers. Why anyone would pay for the 'privilege' of using zPanel, I can't even loving imagine.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TheFluff posted:

b) idle on IRC with

I've had one of these for about 4 months, doing similar stuff, and it's been great:
http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my friend's work is offering 10tb cdn free, no payment or card needed here i figured some of you would like to use it.

if it says your link has expired, disable adblock. i have no idea what the terms and conditions are for this so ymmv, but it doesn't require any payment method at all or anything other than an email

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Weird question but I'm helping someone who has their site hosted with GoDaddy and they want to do daily incremental backups of a mysql database and email it to themselves. Anyone know if that's possible on GoDaddy hosting?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Worst case scenario: You can do it purely in php and just visit the url to trigger an email.

It's definitely possible and there's no way to block it, but if you're on shared hosting things get messy and harder

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the response. Doing it with PHP seems to require executing a "mysqldump" command at some point, but on godaddy mysql is hosted on a different server than php. Would that command work?

But anyway now it turns out they want the backup as an excel file! That's definitely not possible right?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

Thanks for the response. Doing it with PHP seems to require executing a "mysqldump" command at some point, but on godaddy mysql is hosted on a different server than php. Would that command work?

fuf posted:

But anyway now it turns out they want the backup as an excel file! That's definitely not possible right?

are you loving making GBS threads me

[technically, you could transform it into an xls... but it would be completely useless as a mysql backup, and also be unreadable in terms of excel files]

Impotence fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 1, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah sorry the word backup was misleading - it wouldn't be intended to restore the site. It's a db of client details and they want an email every day with the all the new clients in an xls file.

Biowarfare posted:

technically, you could transform it into an xls...

I don't think I'm going to attempt this.

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 1, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

Yeah sorry the word backup was misleading - it wouldn't be intended to restore the site. It's a db of client details and they want an email every day with the all the new clients in an xls file.

I don't think I'm going to attempt this.

in that case, you wouldn't be using mysqldump
just use php/pdo to do a SELECT whatever FROM customers, and foreach (row as client) { poo poo it out into a .csv } or something

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

.csv

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Depending on the size of the DB, you can probably use phpmyadmin to do the dump. They already have the code to output as csv/etc.

It'll only work on small databases though because pma is poo poo. :mrgw:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

DarkLotus posted:

Yay, another round of vulnerabilities...

SSL v3 Security Vulnerability
OpenSSL has released information regarding the SSL v3 vulnerability:

https://www.openssl.org/~bodo/ssl-poodle.pdf

Please pay close attention to the recommendations and implement as necessary.

Welp, Ars is now reporting a TLS-variant of POODLE. On one hand they say that a bunch of banks and other "high profile" sites are affected. On the other hand they say

Ars Technica posted:

So far, load balancers and similar devices sold by two different manufacturers have been identified as vulnerable. The makers are F5 and A10.

So I'm not quite sure if only the load balancers are affected, or if the problem is wider spread.

e: a little more info at computer world.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 9, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Any other Dreamhost customers here?

I'm not really using any of their services and want to let my web hosting expire, but I do have two domain registrations that I'd like to keep, and re-point to Heroku-hosted Ruby applications because I don't need anything more complicated than that right now. Is that even an option, or do I have to shut down Dreamhost entirely and transfer the registrar to something like 1&1? And even there, is there any actual difference between domain registrars if I don't need hosting alongside it?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Any other Dreamhost customers here?

I'm not really using any of their services and want to let my web hosting expire, but I do have two domain registrations that I'd like to keep, and re-point to Heroku-hosted Ruby applications because I don't need anything more complicated than that right now. Is that even an option, or do I have to shut down Dreamhost entirely and transfer the registrar to something like 1&1? And even there, is there any actual difference between domain registrars if I don't need hosting alongside it?

I'd recommend you keep your registrar and hosting company completely separate. It'd probably be your best bet to transfer to a company like Gandi or NameCheap before letting the Dreamhost services lapse, just to be on the safe side. Some hosting companies will hold your domain hostage if you cancel your service with them. I don't think Dreamhost is one of them, but it's best to be on the safe side.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm not really using any of their services and want to let my web hosting expire, but I do have two domain registrations that I'd like to keep, and re-point to Heroku-hosted Ruby applications because I don't need anything more complicated than that right now. Is that even an option, or do I have to shut down Dreamhost entirely and transfer the registrar to something like 1&1?

You can buy domains through Dreamhost, you can host a website through Dreamhost, or you can do both. One does not impact the other. Your domains will continue exist as long as you keep paying for the registration.

Even if your registrations are "free domains," that's applied in the form of a credit. You'll just have to pay regular price (instead of $0.00) at your next renewal if you no longer have hosting services.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Molten Llama posted:

One does not impact the other

:allears:

You've just been smart/lucky. Best practices is to always keep your Hosting Service and Domain Registrar independent of each other.

Thalagyrt posted:

Some hosting companies will hold your domain hostage if you cancel your service with them.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Best practices is to always keep your Hosting Service and Domain Registrar independent of each other.

Yes, but the question was not best practice (which has been rehashed a million times in this thread, including directly above me) or what happens if you just quit paying Dreamhost.

The question was "if I quit using Dreamhost for hosting, will it affect my domains"? The answer to that question is no.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can anyone here recommend a enterprise level web host. Our large public company is growing and we want to consolidate all of our websites on one host that can offer a managed environment. Costs aren't really much of an issue, but we need 99.9% uptime, DDoS protection, etc. Right now we have our primary site at Rackspace, and a recently acquired company uses a different host. We have both Linux and Windows web servers. We're looking at Akamai, and possibly expanding our Rackspace footprint.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Thalagyrt posted:

Some hosting companies will hold your domain hostage if you cancel your service with them. I don't think Dreamhost is one of them, but it's best to be on the safe side.
Agreed, The cheaper the registrar, the more likely they'll do lovely things to gently caress you over IMO.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Paradoxically the most professional and lowest-bullshit registrar I've been with is also one of the cheapest, internet.bs. This may be because both qualities are valued by their original customer base, professional domainers with large portfolios.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Rufus Ping posted:

Paradoxically the most professional and lowest-bullshit registrar I've been with is also one of the cheapest, internet.bs. This may be because both qualities are valued by their original customer base, professional domainers with large portfolios.

Never bite the hand that feeds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

I'd sign up just based on the domain.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Anyone have experience with nearlyfreespeech?

I'm looking to migrate 1 or 2 sites off our current crap host*, each of which gets about 1000-2000 hits per month. I dont think we'd need more than 1GB of space and a few GB of bandwidth.

Lithium and Apis look good too.

*whoever added powweb to the OP should be taken outside and shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
- have admined/webdeved for people with apis accounts, they are competent and aren't using crappanel, which is a big plus
- i have a lithium account but i forgot about it so not going to comment on that, i don't think i have anything uploaded
- kill anyone that suggests powweb or any EIG-related host
- i am very happy with nearlyfreespeech - load balanced bsd, custom panel, jailed per user by default, ssh by default, i host some static blogs, and i've paid for two years now with a single $2 deposit. this is very ymmv, you are expected to basically not be retarded to qualify as a customer, but the service is good. i don't opt in to their database or dynamic scripting addons so no comment on those.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 15, 2014