Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I recently added a new domain to my Google Apps account.

According to Google's documentation, I can't use my new domain for the Mail/Calendar/Contacts/etc. landing pages (ie: mail.organization.com, calendar.organization.com, contacts.organization.com, etc.).

I thought that I could get around this by adding an Aliases in my Cloudflare control panel for the new domain, pointing mail.newdomain.com to mail.organization.com.

This clearly didn't work as I simply get redirected to a Google 404 page.

Any workarounds for this?

The easiest work around would be to send the traffic bound for mail.newdomain.com to a server you control and then 301 redirect visitors to mail.organization.com. I'm assuming that mail.organization.com is a google apps destination which means that google would have to have a specific configuration to handle requests for "mail.newdomain.com" on the IP address of "mail.organization.com" which as you've just seen, it does not.

edit: this could confuse mail clients that try to resolve mail.newdomain.com to know where to send imap/pop/smtp traffic, but your solution has the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
click the orange cloud, you need that disabled

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

click the orange cloud, you need that disabled

Tried that, it didn't work.

Salt Fish posted:

The easiest work around would be to send the traffic bound for mail.newdomain.com to a server you control and then 301 redirect visitors to mail.organization.com. I'm assuming that mail.organization.com is a google apps destination which means that google would have to have a specific configuration to handle requests for "mail.newdomain.com" on the IP address of "mail.organization.com" which as you've just seen, it does not.

edit: this could confuse mail clients that try to resolve mail.newdomain.com to know where to send imap/pop/smtp traffic, but your solution has the same issue.

I don't need imap/pop/smtp for newdomain.com, I just need my users to be able to type mail.newdomain.com and be taken to the Google App's mail/calendar/whatever site.

Setting up a server for this might be overkill but it might make a fun learning experience, so I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
you can do 301's in cloudflare using "page rules" > "redirect"

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

welp this is great. there is some script or something on my web hosting VM that is causing it to try to send spam. none of it is actually going out because it is being blocked but it is still frustrating. time to get searching!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Check you mailbox it's if it supports using the have osme preinstalled ,ou might have "x-anti-abuse" heaeders within the email that give a full path to the script sending it

e: loving mobile

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I am seeing stuff like
code:
2015-07-06 16:44:37 SMTP connection from localhost [127.0.0.1]:38894 closed by QUIT
2015-07-06 16:45:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
2015-07-06 16:49:37 SMTP connection from [127.0.0.1]:38911 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2015-07-06 16:49:38 SMTP connection from localhost [127.0.0.1]:38911 closed by QUIT
2015-07-06 16:50:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
2015-07-06 16:53:33 SMTP connection from [185.40.4.30]:34183 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2015-07-06 16:53:33 no IP address found for host hosted-by.hostgrad.ru (during SMTP connection from [185.40.4.30]:34183)
the cwd=/ should be the path to the script, right?

i think i am going to probably rebuild my setup but I want to figure out what happened so i can prevent it in the future.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 6, 2015

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stealthgerbil posted:

I am seeing stuff like
code:
2015-07-06 16:44:37 SMTP connection from localhost [127.0.0.1]:38894 closed by QUIT
2015-07-06 16:45:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
2015-07-06 16:49:37 SMTP connection from [127.0.0.1]:38911 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2015-07-06 16:49:38 SMTP connection from localhost [127.0.0.1]:38911 closed by QUIT
2015-07-06 16:50:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
2015-07-06 16:53:33 SMTP connection from [185.40.4.30]:34183 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2015-07-06 16:53:33 no IP address found for host hosted-by.hostgrad.ru (during SMTP connection from [185.40.4.30]:34183)
the cwd=/ should be the path to the script, right?

i think i am going to probably rebuild my setup but I want to figure out what happened so i can prevent it in the future.

code:
ps aux
lsof -n 
ls -l /tmp
ls -l /boot
You're looking for anything that looks unusual. Files in /tmp are pretty common

CWD is 'current working directory', which probably isn't related to where this actually is.

Next option would be https://www.rfxn.com/projects/linux-malware-detect/

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I will run those commands. I did install LMD since WHMextra has a nice easy installer for it. Didn't find anything though. I do remember seeeing some ice-UNIX folder in the tmp folder that I didn't recognize. rootkit hunter found a few suspicious files but google searches either returned that its a false positive or that I am screwed.

Really leaning towards just making a VPS for each of my users. I can give them a VPS, install vestaCP or virtualmin if they want it (cpanel if they want to pay extra) and have more control over everything and if they mess up the VPS then that is on them. However my server only has 32gb of ram and I would definitely need to get bigger SSDs if I do that. Might just check out cloudlinux for now.

I have rebuilt my hosting setup and it didn't take long and there wasn't any downtime except for any DNS propagation stuff. Still, I feel personally insulted that malware was on my server. Sure it didn't manage to do anything but I am bothered that I can't find and remove it.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

You should probably reimage that vm.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

That was the first thing I did. I just assumed that the system is hosed and not secure any more. Also I copied over the mission critical stuff but I am hesitant to reload everything all at once. Right now the old one is turned off until I can mess with it more.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have recommendations for a good UK based managed server provider? I've been using https://www.tsohost.com/ and they're mostly fine but I'm still convinced there's something wrong with their cloud infrastructure that causes all my sites to slow down periodically (posted about it above).

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
If you have your own cPanel servers, be sure to update Immediately.
3 big vulnerabilities with cPanel that were patched in the latest builds for all releases.
Fixed Version: 11.50.0.27, 11.48.4.6 & 11.46.3.8

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Maybe this is a little outside the scope of this thread, but I'm looking for somewhere relatively cheap to host a website.

Specifically, what I want to do is put up a website for a game and analyze characters in comparison to other characters and provide some commentary/etc - nothing complicated. I do, however, want to be able to make it easy to navigate, so not just a straight blog. Is this the kind of thing I'd want to use WordPress for, or something else?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
hi mattybee it's bio can i probably guess what this is for :3
it depends, how well versed are you with wordpress or code? it's theoretically possible, but requires a bit of poking around if you want to make it simple and whatnot; you could theoretically just write blog posts with hero names as tags or something, and use a 'related posts' wordpress plugin or otherwise

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Biowarfare posted:

hi mattybee it's bio can i probably guess what this is for :3
it depends, how well versed are you with wordpress or code? it's theoretically possible, but requires a bit of poking around if you want to make it simple and whatnot; you could theoretically just write blog posts with hero names as tags or something, and use a 'related posts' wordpress plugin or otherwise

I am not well versed in either, and it does not take a scientist to figure out what it might be about!

I am good, however, at bullshitting my way into figuring something out. Is there a content system that might work better (like, say, Drupal)?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Drupal is significantly more expensive resource-wise and also its views/cck/etc system will make you despise yourself really fast

Are you bored enough to pop into irc and pm me, I have an idea/suggestion

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
It sounds like you want to link between articles a bit. Maybe a wiki would be better than a blog?

Wordpress offers free hosted blogs on their site, and Wikia offers free wikis on theirs.

If you want to go a self-hosted route, NearlyFreeSpeech might be a good option. It's pay as you go, so you pre-pay however much you want, and then each day it charges x-amount for storage, y-amount for bandwidth, and z-amount of CPU time (such as MySQL or whatever). So a couple pages getting a couple views daily would be a couple cents monthly.

If you wanna skimp out on paying for MySQL, PmWiki comes to mind as a wiki that doesn't need it, but I'd look into Wordpress (or even Tumblr) and Wikia before paying up for something you might not need.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Is there a list (Google Doc) of Goon hosting providers and Goons who need hosting? When Goons need hosting is it more appropriate for them to post here or in SA mart?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Mindisgone posted:

Is there a list (Google Doc) of Goon hosting providers and Goons who need hosting? When Goons need hosting is it more appropriate for them to post here or in SA mart?

There is a list in the OP with Goon Hosting providers.
Just like with anything else, compare the providers and choose one based on customer reviews and what they offer and what you need.
It never hurts to reach out to them directly or via their thread in SA Mart if you have any questions.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
don't choose a host just because they are goon

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I currently have

Namecheap domain
Namecheap web hosting
Office 365 for the exchange service

I want to stop using Business 365 and just get some kind of doman/hosting/exchange solution that will not tie up my 365 account, so I can share documents like a normal person.

I want to host a wordpress site, have server-stored/executed email rules that let me use Outlook with no hitches, and to have my own dang email domain. If I could share my outlook calendar with my wife who uses apple products that would be ace.

I also want to be able to SFTP to my storage and host SQL poo poo on there.

I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing, someone please help

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I currently have

Namecheap domain
Namecheap web hosting
Office 365 for the exchange service

I want to stop using Business 365 and just get some kind of doman/hosting/exchange solution that will not tie up my 365 account, so I can share documents like a normal person.

I want to host a wordpress site, have server-stored/executed email rules that let me use Outlook with no hitches, and to have my own dang email domain. If I could share my outlook calendar with my wife who uses apple products that would be ace.

I also want to be able to SFTP to my storage and host SQL poo poo on there.

I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing, someone please help

iredmail is great for self-hosted mail but it can be a hassle to upgrade if you get behind by a few versions- works with all mail clients afaik and includes roundcube for webmail

for storage, if you're running a *nix/bsd box you already have openssh which means you can use sftp: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sftp-to-securely-transfer-files-with-a-remote-server

dunno about the rest but i hope this helps

on an unrelated note i should probably spin up a backup server or start pulling stuff down nightly just in case

code:
reverie@apollo ~ $ wc -l /etc/nginx/nginx.conf 
294 /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
i would hate to have to write this loving config all over again

setting up hsts, ocsp stapling and spdy was a bit of a bitch, plus all of the performance poo poo

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

reddit liker posted:

code:
reverie@apollo ~ $ wc -l /etc/nginx/nginx.conf 
294 /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
i would hate to have to write this loving config all over again

setting up hsts, ocsp stapling and spdy was a bit of a bitch, plus all of the performance poo poo

Install etckeeper and push your repo to a private repo on github or another server.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from stupid/small questions thread.

I'm experimenting with zen subtheming in Drupal using a locally hosted website with XAMPP. I have basically no idea what I'm doing, so bear with me if my terminology makes no sense.

What I want to do is make my sub theme on my desktop and then copy it to our actual website with SSH (my understanding is that this will let me select the sub theme as a theme on the actual website and it'll be pretty seamless).

The problem is that other people in the company want to work on this as well, so I want to put the whole local website database/folder in a synced Dropbox folder, and make a symbolic link to the XAMPP folder so that when I fire up the website on my computer, it loads the database info stored in Dropbox. This way, when I make a change to a CSS file, it'll sync to Dropbox and when someone else changes a different file, it'll be visible on my computer after syncing. Is there any way to make this work using a localhost thing? A simpler way is to probably just do this on the actual website itself, right? Everyone just SSHing into the theme files themselves.

Also, how much of a mistake did I make when choosing Drupal as our CMS? What we need is a pretty brochure website built by the last week of September, with some kind of ecommerce and database form thingy so that customers can purchase our service. What we want is the ability to use it to eventually host videos, a wiki, and a bunch of other poo poo related to our business (so I ruled out a static site generator). I've been plugging away at this for three days and so far all we have is a lovely website that looks like a junior high web design project and some email addresses. Eventually, I'd like the site to look something like this, with obviously much less interactive stuff and general scope, but aesthetically similar.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
using dropbox for shared file collaboration sounds like an absolute terrible horror

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

using dropbox for shared file collaboration sounds like an absolute terrible horror

How should I do it? Acquia?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

How should I do it? Acquia?

tuyop posted:

Everyone just SSHing into the theme files themselves.

git checkins? what happens if someone uploads a css file over someone else's? what happens if someone is live-updating a css file and saves over someone else's work? merge conflicts? purging drupal's internal cache every time you change the css?

also if you want a fast, simple, brochure site, drupal is probably overcomplex for you, and if you are not competently sysadmin-ish, it'll probably suck performance-wise at scale unless you know how to deal with things like varnish properly

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

git checkins? what happens if someone uploads a css file over someone else's? what happens if someone is live-updating a css file and saves over someone else's work? merge conflicts? purging drupal's internal cache every time you change the css?

also if you want a fast, simple, brochure site, drupal is probably overcomplex for you, and if you are not competently sysadmin-ish, it'll probably suck performance-wise at scale unless you know how to deal with things like varnish properly

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. I barely know what git is.

A brochure site is all we need for the next 1-2 years. But it has to have some kind of payment portal and secure form entry. I picked Drupal because we decided we wanted some kind of CMS so we could change copy easily, and it sounds like it's very flexible and can turn out very complicated websites, including payment portals and form entries. Is there some better way to do this?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Who is the goto provider for basic bare metal dedicated servers this days?

I want a rig that'll let me setup some sort of VM hypervisor (Leaning towards xen, so I also need to be able to compile dom0 into the kernel as well) and just experiment around with it for a bit.

It won't be handling mail or any real websites other than test stuff, so I'm not too fussed about IP reputations, but obviously don't want to go with a company who are known for spam and dodgy poo poo. If I can get an IPv6 /64 range too, even better.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Hetzner or OVH

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

Hetzner or OVH

running vm's on both of these are incredibly annoying btw - you have to pre-set-up mac addresses for each one, and your switchport is disabled for abuse if you bridge a vm without setting everything up properly (incl 255.255.255.255 netmasks, all ips forward/route through your primary, etc)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Rufus Ping posted:

Hetzner or OVH

Ohh god, do not use OVH for anything virtual.

Thalagyrt will sing praises for databasebydesignllc.com

I use Hivelocity, some of their support staff are retarded though.
Someone with the title of Senior Systems Engineer should not send me their PPK file when I request their ssh public key for allowing them server access...

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah I admit it can be a pain at first if you've not done it before. The MAC addresses of your VMs shouldn't matter if you use bridge_hw. But yeah maybe use someone else and avoid this entirely. I was with root.lu for years and they didn't worry about it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkLotus posted:

Ohh god, do not use OVH for anything virtual.

Thalagyrt will sing praises for databasebydesignllc.com

I use Hivelocity, some of their support staff are retarded though.
Someone with the title of Senior Systems Engineer should not send me their PPK file when I request their ssh public key for allowing them server access...

haha what they gave you their private key?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

haha what they gave you their private key?

Truncated the image...

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Sadly that wasn't the first time either.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

At least the private portion was encrypted! You should brute force it, the password's probably "hivelocity".

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

DarkLotus posted:

Truncated the image...

jesus christ. :gonk:

also to be fair job titles at most webhosting companies seem to be meaningless

the linux support people at my old job get to call themselves "system administrators" when all they do is play with cpanel all day and follow wiki articles that detail exactly how to fix simple issues

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

deep impact on vhs posted:

jesus christ. :gonk:

also to be fair job titles at most webhosting companies seem to be meaningless

the linux support people at my old job get to call themselves "system administrators" when all they do is play with cpanel all day and follow wiki articles that detail exactly how to fix simple issues

Sounds about right