Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Elected by Dogs posted:

edit: also, contribution quote, my post from another thread: "There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth or disk space, it's essentially a lie. As soon as you start using any you're kicked off. Also, in addition, all of the major "unlimited" hosts show you prices with default range set to 2year+ prepay (some up to 10 year prepay) - when you pay monthly there's typically a huge setup fee plus it costs nearly double or triple the price you were shown."

I store about 400GB of backups on Dreamhost that I haven't heard anything about. That's an anecdotal example, and I don't rely on it, I just don't really use the account anymore.

Home servers are a better solution then most people give credit, some ISPs (like Cablevision) offer cheap home plans that explicitly permit HTTP/mail servers. Mail can be hosted offsite for free with Google Apps, and Afraid.org offers a great free DDNS service as do other sites. For Windows there are prebuilt LAMP packages like XAMPP, and Ubuntu server is dead simple, the only annoying bit is implementing vhosts, but PHP/mysql come out of the box, none of that is terribly hard to set up even from the shell. As an added bonus you get a home NAS, bittorrent seedbox, it's still not really practical but a fun, potentially erotic experience, assuming that's your thing.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Dreamhost is good. I don't understand why they jumped on the unlimited bandwagon, but they're still good. Even for dumb poo poo like "my jabber server isn't working" at like 2am on a Sunday I can still get someone in live support to go and fix it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
It sounds like either a) his script went crazy and deleted the cache folder or b) his script went crazy and created a massive folder of illegal crap that Dreamhost found and discarded. Either way he's in the wrong. They're not obligated to let you back up your 10000GB :filez: folder before deleting it, especially for $9/month.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Yeah, my heart sank when I saw:

My day will immediately become the worst ever if their database was actually leaked.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Sperg Victorious posted:

Yeah, on the webhosting talk thread, some people defended using Hostgator since the server was actually owned by softlayer. Doesn't really matter since it was hostgator who got social engineered into resetting the cpanel password.

Oh and they were pointing out that WHMCS makes 500k a month.

I wouldn't trust what they say, it's a huge disaster and they're probably looking to spread the blame around.

Also they're now getting DoSSed now so there might be issues with licenses calling home.

This all seems so cruel, what did WHMCS ever do wrong? I've only had positive experiences with them.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
^ drat, they're getting raped.

Biowarfare posted:

Why the hell are they using hostgator?

The database implied they have some sort of special relationship with HostGator, maybe they got free hosting?

At least it's nice to know that WHMCS itself isn't to blame. Like, it always irked me that people (including us) rely on an $18/month piece of software to manage the billing for such a crazy amount of accounts. Obviously customization is the real expense but still...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Tinyproxy looks ghetto as hell, just use Apache.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
OpenSSH has a built-in SOCKS server that can be configured on both ends with just a flag on the client side, you shouldn't need a separate proxy.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I switched to Linode from Digital Ocean like a month ago. gently caress. I used my debt card too.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So if you think the hackers are dishonest, you might be on to something, but consider what Linode posted four days ago:

quote:

Linode administrators have discovered and blocked suspicious activity on the Linode network. This activity appears to have been a coordinated attempt to access the account of one of our customers. This customer is aware of this activity and we have determined its extent and impact. We have found no evidence that any Linode data of any other customer was accessed. In addition, we have found no evidence that payment information of any customer was accessed.

:rolleyes:

The Hacker News thread on this has a ton of other damning information and chat logs if you want to read into all the gory details.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I think I ordered one and submitted my validation stuff before that rule went into effect. In case I didn't though, I'm from the states but I do have a Swiss passport, I wonder if they'll let me through with just that :v:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

eightysixed posted:

I thought you owned a Hosting Company? Why do you need 20 Atom Dedis? :ohdear:

I thought he's Nexon America's Only Sysadmin?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Cool yet another Digital Ocean outage. Seriously tempted to switch back to Linode.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Biowarfare posted:

NY1 packetloss 27/26
NY2 down 25
NY2 down 22
NY2 down 21
NY1 down 19
NY2 down 18
NY2 down 17

I have a VPS on NY1 and another on NY2 so yeah. It's been good for a while now but I'm gonna be watching both for any sort of downtime from now on.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
There's a Mac Mini (cheapest one, not the server) in our colo that runs four virtual machines, a Mumble server, and most importantly my own personal instances of cookie clicker and a Minecraft server. It's at 306 days. My MBPr can't go a week without needing a force restart for one reason or another. I wonder if I can downgrade to 10.8.3?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I didn't have to look past Lithium Hosting's login screen to diagnose the problem. WHMCS is an abomination that should've died off years ago. You get what you (try to) pay for.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

FuzzySlippers posted:

Suggestions for an alternative cheap host? Just hosting a couple wordpress sites so don't need anything elaborate.

Probably just keep using Lithium. Anyone with a limited budget for programmers, including us, use WHMCS for billing, it's a non-stop source of confusion and complaints but I think the billing department's programmers are too scared to try anything else and would rather just keep on truckin' with WHMCS and continue writing lovely plugins and hacks to prop it up.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Setting up a billing system *should* be hard and require original work. WHMCS looks like an easy workaround but you quickly get hosed the moment you need any sort of flexibility and when it breaks - and it will break - you're in for a fun ride cause the whole thing is one black box that you probably have a bunch of plugins and extensions wired into.

Also, Re: fraud, we only IP blacklist Ghana because I don't think we've ever gotten a legitimate order from Ghana, ever. The rest that get flagged are gone over by a billing representative that specializes in looking for sketchy orders, stalks the customer online and may ask for a phone screen, ID scans, etc. The billing department has an ongoing competition to see who can get the funniest recording of some Nigerian male unironically trying to convince us that they're Nancy from Ohio or whatever.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Comradephate posted:

I'm jealous that your customers try to keep the scam going! When I worked billing and my dudes requested ID the scammers would just not respond, or would respond with HILARIOUS photoshops. They were never willing to call us.

We do VPNs so whatever nightmare you think you're facing, we've got it ten time worse, our overhead to prevent fraud is insane. One thing we're seeing lately is romance scams, where some gently caress preys on women on dating sites and tries (often successfully, sadly) to convince said woman to order an account and take the phone call. The only way for billing to defend against those is to use a lot of not-so-politically-correct human screening methods. It costs a lot of time, money, and customer patience, but our network is really clean as a result. We're also one of the few companies that'll even consider orders from places like Nigeria - human screening can work both ways, we can find legit customers in fraud-ridden areas and have a decent following of ex-patriots in certain countries as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Jekyll.