Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anybody here happen to have a coupon for Linode or Slicehost?

My current host is getting kinda choppy lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm thinking about getting the 768MB plan on Linode. I usually have a 1024MB plan but I haven't been using more than 200MB lately. Does the extra RAM really help a lot?

Also I can't seem to find how much IPs and extra space/bandwidth cost on Linode...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Somethings totally funky with my host:

19:07:56 up 1 day, 52 min, 1 user, load average: 19.54, 12.67, 6.11
19:11:11 up 1 day, 55 min, 1 user, load average: 41.70, 22.72, 11.02
19:15:18 up 1 day, 59 min, 1 user, load average: 55.38, 43.12, 22.42

I can't even get a ps aux out.

edit: I pulled the trigger and bought a Linode 512.

How do you guys lay out your configurations?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 23, 2010

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

nooge posted:

Because every channel I know has been a total failure, I come here to ask if Dreamhost just loving picked up and left?

No panel access, all servers I have are down, no way possible to contact support.

I'm going to loving kill someone.

Or switch to linode.

I seem to be able to access their website.

This loads for me: https://panel.dreamhost.com/

edit: I'd switch to Linode either way lol.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

stizu posted:

I have a question about domains, when I searched for a domain, the most desirable version was taken of course, but instead of just saying that it was unavailable, it said that it was 'backordered'? Does that mean that I can stake a claim on the domain when it comes up for renewal? I am thinking of taking advantage of that if that is true, the domain that I want is just a redirect at the moment.

Ok, something bizarre happened. I just went to whois.net to see when the domain that I want expires and it said that my url was available for purchase as though it wasn't in use! I checked the whois and it came up correctly, so I am pretty confused.

Results are cached on most whois databases so it can take 4 to 48 hours before everything shows up properly.

As for backordering, you might be waiting forever if the person just renews the domain again. Backordering depends on the idea that the current owner will forget to renew.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Kinda surprised at how calm some of you are for having more than a few minutes of downtime :ohdear:. Aren't people complaining?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Bah, I just migrated my hosting from Dreamhost to Lithium and my google apps hosted mail is broken which is what I expected. However, I'm having a bitch of a time figuring out how to get google to recognize my new hosting without nuking the whole account and starting over which would also blow away all my previous mail. Any thoughts?

I've updated my MX records with Lithium but I can't seem to get google to generate a new CNAME verification string without deleting my account for my domain and making it again.

Define broken, is it just not receiving mail yet? It can take up to 48 hours for DNS to resolve after moving to a new host.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

revmoo posted:

Namecheap has been really great to me. The free ssl cert is great and the free DNS is even better. I switched from paying for my DNS to the free Namecheap service and haven't had any problems since. Also they have decent chat support which I prefer when working on web stuff because you can't paste over the phone.

FYI: If you want to renew the SSL cert, you can't use another free SSL cert lol :(

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Baby Proof posted:

Is there any reason to buy domain privacy on a totally generic uncontroversial domain? I had signed up for it on dynadot because it was cheap, but I can't think of any reason to renew...

When I didn't I usually managed to get junk mail in both e-mail and letter form.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

Is there a general consensus on where to get domains from?

I like Name.com, you can also get free whois privacy through them.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Fun fact: the Namecheap SSL certs don't renew each other!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Godaddy is awesome at hosting if you like having less uptime and slower speeds than hosting it at home off a dialup line, possibly on a C64.

They'll even shoot an elephant for you!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

jackpot posted:

I know there's probably better threads for this, but this one seems appropriate. I don't need hosting, but I have a question about webhosting:

Say a guy owns website.com, and then he buys website.net and transfers his site over there. He registers the .com domain through a different company, and changes the hosting to them, too. He uses the .com for a totally different site.

He had an email address at the old site, guy@website.com. But he didn't setup that email address when he changed the domain registration a month ago. So...if someone sent him an email over the past month, to guy@website.com, where'd it go? Does it just disappear into the ether, since that address doesn't exist with the new hosting? Or is it maybe in some catch-all email account, either at the new host or the old? The old hosting was a company called BigBlackBag; the new hosting is Godaddy.

If there's some way to get these lost emails, can someone explain how?

If you're lucky those e-mails would probably be bouncing, but since it's been a month, they've probably been purged by now. Highly doubtful those e-mails are going to be recovered.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

dvgrhl posted:

Man, web hosting is something I would never pay annually, or even bi-annually for. It's a totally unregulated industry in terms of selling one thing and delivering another. Even for hosts I really trust (Linode, Wiredtree, etc...) I would never pay annually. The small cost savings aren't worth the huge risk of getting screwed over. Go spend a few minutes over at webhostingtalk.com and you'll begin to see what I mean.

I hope it works out good for you, but for so many people it doesn't. At least regularly back up your data to somewhere that you have control over, not your host.

I agree completely with this, before I switched to Linode I'd have to switch to a different host every few months or year (at best). I've been running a website since 2004 and I've learned to never prepay for hosting and always have backups of your databases.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

less than three posted:

They also have gigabit and unmetered data options: http://nocster.com/servers-la.shtml

What's the amount of disk space required to store the files? Using SSDs may be a good idea for high I/O throughput.

A couple years ago Burstnet wasn't exactly too stable, how is it now?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

Inmotion Hosting was hacked pretty bad today. All my sites have a huge "YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED" message on them, even sites that are still in development without a registered domain name. The hack happened at 4am and it is still not fixed. They shutdown their call center and live chat support, and now I'm in the dark.

If it was easy to move 75 websites I would, but I feel stuck with them even after this.

Do you have any open source software installed like phpBB or COppermine photo gallery? This sounds eerily familiar.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

This is way worse than that. This not only effected all Joomla and Wordpress sites, but static websites as well. I had a static site with index.html that it deleted, then added index.php.

Hm. I had this happen once and the entry point was an old installation of Coppermine, I moved it to another account just in case. Are all your domains hosted under one cpanel username? If not, something more sinister might have happened to the server.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

I need some web developers input.

Lately I have done nothing but rails work and therefor have only used Heroku for deployment / amazon S3 for file hosting. In the near future I will need access to a server to host PHP/MySQL & simple sites for development reasons.

What is my best option for reliability? I had a shared hosting account through a goon run service that put a sour taste in my mouth, and would like to look into either a VPS or managed server. Over the last few days I was considering Linode, with my own implementation of Cpanel to manage several domains... but if anyone has a better suggestion I'm all ears.

Basically I want to be able to host not only client sites, but my own test sites reliably, without using a shared host (unless I get a really good recommendation).

Linode really is great. But you might want to stay clear of the Fremont DC, we get a power outage every few months.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you manage client sites? Do you use Cpanel (or something like it)? Or is there something better I should look into if I go with Linode? To be honest I was already leaning towards them, but have little experience setting up my own hosting environment.

I use DirectAdmin mainly, I've had a lifetime license for a couple of years now so I just install it when I'm on a new VPS. You'll still need to know your way around Linux though.

There are other control panels available as well but if you want to try doing it yourself, Linode's IRC channel is great. They also have a good wiki and knowledgebase here: http://www.linode.com/community/.

edit: You might want to read up on Webmin/Virtualmin, it seems like a nice free way to manage your client sites.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 27, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Linode has a location in Texas. I might be switching their soon myself since Linode's Fremont DC is down again. HE sure loves to get DOS'd/have power failures.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

jackpot posted:

Holy crap these are both great, thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure she's already on Google Apps, so I guess I've got two ways to make sure this works.

If she's already on Google apps, e.g. mail.yourdomain.com leads to gmail, then you shouldn't have to move anything!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Why do I get the feeling you're going to be massively overpaying for a pile of poo poo done in frontpage that looks like http://webking.com then being ripped off being charged 100/month for hosting and them forcing you to transfer the domain to them

That guy made Star Trek: Voyager's Robert Picardo's website!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Name.com also has free whois privacy when you use the coupon "freewhois."

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Linode is pretty great but maybe stay away from the Fremont DC until they find a new provider. We had 2-3 outages last year because of how bad the DC was at keeping the power up.

Aside from that, go with Linode, you'll get the best bang for your buck with them!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

blunt posted:

:siren: Dreamhost has been hacked, change your passwords :siren:

http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/01/20/changing-ftpshell-passwords-due-to-security-issue/

No fat fingers this time?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Did they really host their website on Hostgator??

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

It sounded like the guy lost control of his email and that is how they got in, simply utilizing the standard password reset methods.

I'm surprised they weren't using two-tiered authentication for e-mail... Especially since that e-mail address was basically the key to running their business.

At 500k/month, how could they not afford to colo with a datacentre directly? I guess it wouldn't have helped too much since they lost control of their e-mail, but it's still very surprising. I'm going to laugh if it's because Hostgator was giving them free hosting.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

what about kernel updates? god knows how old my kernel is...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

What datacentre are you in? We were have trouble with our connection today, I think someone was getting DoS'd.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

What are some good reasonably priced hosting options that can deal with traffic spikes? I'm working with a client who's smallish business is going to be featured on a fairly major tv show (can't say any more). He told me that he was told to expect a massive traffic spike when it airs. However, he's not large enough to be able to afford like $100/month hosting, just something that can deal with the spike.

You could always use cloudflare (http://www.cloudflare.com/) if it's a temporary spike.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

"Who drank all the rum?" - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody have a reason not to jump in bed with VPS.net? I'm hosting a .edu on WordPress with ~10 subdomain sites, and another 3-4 WordPress installs for a couple legacy sites that haven't been assimilated by the big WP install yet.

Only things I require are a LAMP stack with burstable capacity (we do live streaming a couple times a year that gives us a 10-20x traffic bump) and 24x7 phone (this makes my boss happy).

So far VPS.net seems like a decent choice. Rackspace has been my ideal, but they're $200/mo higher than VPS, and keeping costs low is unfortunately one of the bigger drivers on this project.

Don't have any personal experience with them but the best bet is to search for "vps.net" on WebHostingTalk. Best of luck!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Solusvm from what I can tell.

cPanel/DA/Plesk are not VPS panels.

I know for sure that you can install DA on a VPS but yeah, that's just to handle the instance itself.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

hackedaccount posted:

I'll look into these two and WordPress.com, thanks - any other suggestions are welcome.

Quick question about domain registration: Is there any advantage to getting my own through a third party instead of using the provider (FREEEE domain with purchase)?

One more quick question about content creation: How's it done on providers like these three? Is there something similar to the SA comment box where I can type and press Post and off it goes, or do I need to create HTML documents and FTP them somewhere or what - same with images. How's it work these days?

If you buy a domain through a host, they'll have complete control over it and can charge you whatever they want. Buying it from a registrar yourself means you can shop around for a cheaper renewal price and have full control of the domain.

Basically, don't buy a domain from your host.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

At least I know they will have reliable service, been with them for almost two years now.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I hope they get Fremont sorted soon, I want my free RAM!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So should I be changing my credit card number now or what?

e: Really wished they had just taken PayPal or something to begin with.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Ok, just had my card cancelled and the number changed. I guess I'll wait and see if they really got hacked.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is there any actual proof of this besides a few random dudes chatting on IRC?

Just a few posts up.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Okay so a guy came into IRC and said this. I'm the Tea guy he's referring to.

00:03 < HTP> Tea: Your linode account name is mugoftea
00:03 < HTP> your email is joe@warhaggis.com
00:04 < HTP> the last 4 digits of your customer credit cards are
00:04 < HTP> 2125, 1111, 1883, 1111, and 2125 respectively

I. Uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Galler posted:

I don't know if softlayer is any good but it will almost certainly be poo poo very soon :v:

Well, at least it's not Lenovo taking over.