Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

c0burn posted:

What's the scoop on good UK/Euro hosts?
I can't say I've moved around enough to make that many direct comparisons, and I'm sure you can find cheaper, but I've always been more than happy with 34sp.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Syfe posted:

The website is redirected or just overwritten by hack signs

Those are all the hacked by notes that my website displays. At this point I've literally removed absolutely everything from my website and it's still showing up as "Hacked by: Madboy - Al" so I'm beyond my depth on this sort of thing.
Check you've not been DNS hijacked.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If it's shared host, you could use a reverse DNS tool to see which other sites are on the same machine. See if they've been hacked too (i.e. if the entire machine has been compromised)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I used http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/ to look up other sites on the same machine. A few had dodgy looking domains I didn't click, a bunch of them crap with errors about a missing load.php in the wordpress includes, and a few have been hacked with either the same page displaying or something about a Syrian hacker group.

Cut your losses and run.

* edit beaten using the same tool *

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If it's on the same hosting account, it'll almost certainly be using the same IP and there are tools/websites that will list all the sites. However if you're on a large shared hosting service, you'll probably find there's a lot of sites
so there's still some obscurity. (My two sites have 250+ and 800+ sites on their IP). On the other hand, if you are in the situation of having a dedicated IP for your account, then suddenly adding a second domain would be a rather obvious breadcumb...

https://dnslytics.com/reverse-ip

As to inferring if different domains are the same account; I think there answer is that it should be safe but then people do have habit of coming up with novel methods of leaking information via side channels. Are we talking "Don't alert colleagues to my harry potter fanfiction website" or "teenage hackers might swat me"?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So I have a website through a2hosting, as does a social club I'm involved in. They're hosed something up and they're serving the raw php for any site they host. I wonder how many sites are going to leak passwords etc through bad coding practices....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Hosting your own email is consistently a giant pain in the rear end, and you're likely to have to troubleshoot deliverability problems even if you do everything right.

Your choices for hosted solutions range from the cloud giants to struggling companies with dim futures who I would not tie my boat to. If you specifically want to stay away from Google only, you can get email from Microsoft or even Amazon if you really want. The other big hosts that do email are companies like Rackspace, who I recommend you stay far, far away from.
I gather these days it's not even just a pain in the usual home-brewing sense, but that it's becoming increasingly impossible for anyone but the small number of mega-providers to deliver email reliably. Google, Microsoft et al will just randomly break the ability for organisations to send email and it' impossible to talk to anyone.