Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Whats the consensus on Hostgator? I've been with them for a couple of years now and lately it seems to be slow. I think I remember someone in this thread talking about some of their issues with Hostgator or upcoming changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Terrible like all the other $5 unlimited mega-hosts.

Yeah, I thought that was going to be the case. Guess I'll start looking for a new host today. I currently have 5-6 wordpress sites, mix of personal and business, that probably get a max of 500 visitors a day. I've been thinking about getting a small VPS account to play around with as well. Should I still to having a decent host and screwing around on AWS/getting a droplet from Digital Ocean or have it all on one account?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

fuf posted:

I guess it's a little risky to immediately start hosting your sites on a VPS unless you know what you're doing. Here's what I would do (and did):

Get the cheapest shared hosting account from http://www.lithiumhosting.com/ with the goon discount and use it for your wordpress sites. There's a thread somewhere with the discount links.

Meanwhile get the cheapest Digital Ocean droplet and play around without worrying about breaking stuff.

Then when you're ready get a second DO droplet, configure it properly, and transfer your wordpress sites over. Keep the first droplet for testing new stuff without affecting your live sites. DO is so cheap that it makes sense to keep a development server alongside a production server.

Yeah, now that I think about it that is a bad idea. So I bit the bullet and got an account over at lithium. Now I gotta move all my crap over.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to move off of my current shared hosting provider onto something that offers a bit more reliability and speed. I have four or five domains all running wordpress, but I'd like to do a bit of experimenting with other content systems. Would moving everything over to AWS be a good idea or would it better better to go with a different provider?