Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone know why when I try and enter a new A Record it duplicates my entry? So for example if I try to add "bigfatgoon.com" it will add "bigfatgoon.com.bigfatgoon.com". Is it something stupidly obvious that I'm doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

doomisland posted:

I assume bigfatgoon.com is your zone origin so you actually only need to put any labels that will come before bigfatgoon.com in the entry box. If you need to add a record on the domain itself like a MX or whatever try using the '@' symbol. I could be wrong but that is what I assume based on some other web hosts I've used before.

Oh, I see. I feel silly now. Thank you!

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Cross posting this-

I have to distribute files to multiple work from home users (using VPN) who aren't able to reach shares on the domain due to... well, I'm not sure really. Either something with Corp IT security policies or something with Net Eng and the routing. Either way these users can't hit shares on our primary domain even though they have domain accounts (AD restrictions?).

Anyway, I need to find a way to get files out to these individuals. Preferably a method that would involve them clicking a simple batch or vbs script that will pull down the files from (somewhere) and replace them with files currently on the PC.

There's a webserver that serves pages to all users regardless, so I think that's how I'll have to go about it, but I'm not sure where to begin. Will this have to be like a FTP thing? Thanks for any help in advance.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Regarding Wordpress site hosting-

I put a client up on AWS for their Wodpress site. She runs a small practice so there's only a total of 9 pages on a simple layout, but even still the t2.micro I put her on isn't able to serve the site to a single user without it taking around 10 seconds to load. I've optimized all the images already and there are no plugins running on Wordpress. Underlying OS is Amazon's own Linux distro (not version 2) so there's not much improvement to be gained by switching to a different OS.

Very simply, I'm just wondering if AWS was the right choice. I put her on AWS because they offer SSl certificates for free (if you utilize Cloudwatch and/or ELB). Essentially I want to know whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade her to a t2.small or take her off AWS and find a new host.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

jre posted:

It's not a good fit for low volume php / mysql sites. Any reason you are not just using wordpress.com ?

Seemed cheaper if I had two clients on an AWS instance as opposed to paying for the premium WP service which allows you to use your own domain name.

Thanks for the information regarding transfer rates guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
You're absolutely correct. I've already put in a good deal of effort and time which I didn't and will not be paid for. I'm justifying it to myself because we want to start offering custom WP designs/templates and eventually SEO as well aside from just managed, reseller, hosting.

I'm not currently charging my two "test" clients, who are personal acquaintances with businesses that are wanting to branch out. I've already built AWS scripting to (mostly) automate the set ups, with only the essential info needing to be input manually, but I still have a lot of work to do in terms of what and how I plan on charging clients for if I'm using AWS. I decided to start this on AWS because of the vast amount of services they provide. As one man with a 2-man design team I need to be as efficient as possible, and so far, because my intent is to eventually attract clientele willing to spend money on quality custom design work, AWS seems very reasonable in price.

Of course this all depends on my ability to lock in contracts worth at least 10k y/y. I'm willing to, and currently am, work(ing) towards that.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 28, 2018