Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Domain stuff

I guess it depends on the host. Where I work we don't care about your domains like... at all. If you want to cancel your hosting, we make you pay what you would have had to pay normally for the domain (if it was free with your hosting) and that's it. After that it's yours, go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Sounds like a great place to put some domains!

Just to clarify/I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not: I mean that we don't care in the sense that we aren't interested in holding your domains hostage. We care that they are active/renewed/working. >_>

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

every posted:

How long does it typically take for a registrar to send me that authorization thing? How long does the transfer take once its begun? I'm assuming my nameservers and stuff will still be set up the same way when the transfer has begun, so I'll need to update those away from GoDaddy, correct?

I generally advise people to get the name servers pointed before beginning the transfer, because it will sometimes not be an option during the transfer, which can take a few days.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

VerySolidSnake posted:

No it's not, unless their sales people lie. Before I started the account I sent a link to Omnistar Drive to the salesperson, along with estimates on disk space usage. They kept saying "yes, it is unlimited".

I'd guess there's a fair chance they were simply ignorant, not trying to trick you.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Ubik posted:

Well, looks like I was dumb to stick with Made2Own when Brutal.net bought them. My sites with them have been down for almost two weeks now, and my last email from them was 9 days ago when they claimed they were under a DDoS attack. Emails since have fallen on deaf ears.

So, I'm pretty much done with these guys. All I have is a website dedicated to my music and brewing, so nothing terribly mission critical other than "don't go down for weeks/months without so much as a refund." Recommendations for something barebones, cheap and reliable are welcome. In the meantime, don't do business with Brutal.net.

This sure makes me feel better about my company. I thought our service was sub-par, but the longest downtime we've had since I started was a server being down for 4 days because it was seized by the FBI, and we spent all 4 days in a frenzy.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

DNova posted:

Sales people are not necessarily technically savvy and they may stretch the truth or even outright lie to you to get a sale.

You'd be surprised how often they just have no idea what they are talking about and are too stupid or lazy to care.

E: Or they're in 8 chats and just want you to go away.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

VerySolidSnake posted:

That is insanely cheap. I have about 80 websites on InMotion Hosting right now, but their VPS packages start at $40/month for 40gb of space.

With buyvm I clicked on the "Storage" tab and they are even larger. CPU and RAM is not a huge issue as it's only several people a day accessing it, probably at most 2-3 people at the same time. 1TB of space for $30/month and it's legitimate?

Keep in mind that inmotion's VPS has WHM, backups, managed firewall, and some other nonsense.

E: Though it still is not priced very competitively.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unlimited anything is bullshit. A long while ago I ran a site with funny pictures on it. People from LJ, all sorts of blogs and forums started hotlinking them. My account was terminated due to traffic. When I pointed out their unlimited bullshit, the reason suddenly shifted to my stuff, or rather the CPU power burnt on handling the requests, affecting the other shared hosts.

I may be bleeding out of my rear end for a dedicated host, where bleeding is relative because it's just 50 bux a month for my own machine, I have had exactly zero issues the last three years. Meanwhile I'm doing some other things, so it makes the fee worthwhile anyway.

I don't know your specific situation, but CPU is usually why we end up suspending people - that, or database usage. I have never seen a shared hosting account suspended because their bandwidth usage was hurting us. It's always because their CPU/database usage was crashing the server and we would rather make that person mad than the 300 other people on the server.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

I know a lot of you have Linodes, may want to check this out:

http://bitcoinmedia.com/compromised...cet-and-others/

Looks like it was more or less handled for now, at least.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Re: Domains.

It's not Godaddy being dicks, here's a rough outline of the process.

Active -> expired (will generally still function, can be renewed within UP TO 60 days, generally less, at no additional cost) -> pending deletion/reactivation period (Can generally be renewed at a STEEP penalty, varies by registrar. The two registrars we primarily use are DirectI and eNom. DirectI charges $85, eNom charges $250.) -> Deleted (The domain can be re-registered. Keep in mind there are certain SEO benefits to having an older registration date, and that at this point anyone can re-register your domain, not just you.)

Godaddy will likely not hold the domain indefinitely, unless it is a "good" domain, and then when it expires they may re-register it automatically, I don't know their policies, or the legalities.

Typically domains can be transferred up to about two weeks before they expire, after that most registrars won't even try, because if the transfer does not complete before the domain expires, it can potentially be lost completely, however, there's no ICANN policy on how far away from the expiration you have to stop accepting transfers. Another one you may run into: domains cannot be transferred within 60 days of registration or transfer (also possibly renewal, I'm not sure)

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to encrypt your data (MySQL, actually) so that the people at your host (Rackspace or whoever) can't read it?

I realize if the key is stored on the server somewhere, anyone with physical access can read it, but auditors don't seem to understand that. They think the solution is "don't allow the hosting company to access server X" which kinda defeats the purpose of managed server hosting.

I guess it depends on exactly why you need the data secured, but there's an extremely high chance that nobody at the host cares about your data. I have never felt anything but inconvenienced when I had to look through a customer's data/code to find out what they hosed up. Incidentally, I have never found a graceful way to tell customers that the reason they don't need to worry about their privacy is that I don't give a poo poo about their data.

If you want this because someone higher up wants it, you'd probably be better off trying to change his/her mind. If you want it because the data truly is that valuable/sensitive, you probably either need to colo with a locked cage, or host in-house.

At least, that's my take on it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, it seems to me that if the information is accessible in any way through the website or a customer account, a person with root access to the server could obtain that information if he wanted to.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Looking for VPS hosting (proper virtualization, not a chroot jail) that allows IRC traffic and isn't totally lovely. Are my choices pretty much wait for buyvm.net to have more stock, or Linode? The website(s) won't be mission critical or high traffic, 512MB RAM should be plenty, don't need them to keep backups. Bonus points if they have Centos 6.

E: drat my awful memory, I already forgot I had posted in this thread. Didn't mean to post twice in a row.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

I just want to run irssi to leave it connected to a couple of benign channels - I'm not running a server. It's surprising how many unmanaged VPS providers forbid all IRC traffic.

E: They are pretty cheap though, may try one out. Thanks!

Comradephate fucked around with this message at Apr 11, 2012 around 22:33

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Will check out both of those, thanks!

Incidentally, this just got posted on http://linuxadmin.reddit.com (not trying to spread heresy to this fine forum, just giving credit)

http://vps-list.cryto.net/index.php?action=list

Pretty cool.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

text editor posted:

Yeah, I've seen this before but never really use it, because the most important thing to look for in cheap VPS providers is finding someone who doesn't have 20% downtime or won't disappear overnight.

edit: Do a quick search on lowendtalk/lowendbox before signing up with any of them, basically

Oh, absolutely. webhostingtalk occasionally has decent information as well. It's just nice to have so many providers grouped together like that.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Any other goons going to be at Hostingcon?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Man, hearing how other budget hosts treat their customers makes me feel a lot better about my company. We just mistreat our employees! (despite my best efforts)

We make a genuine effort to do right by our customers, especially in situations where they're unhappy with the service or looking to cancel. (not just retention - even if they do cancel we still want to avoid them leaving unhappy)

Comradephate fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2012 around 03:35

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

rawrr posted:

I think the issue is that price based competition and overselling have driven prices for shared hosting down so much that anything else seems expensive, if only by comparison. $50 really isn't all that much for a managed VPS from liquidweb or wiredtree - if you're running a business site, paying $5/mo vs $50/mo shouldn't make or break your business model.

That said, as someone in the middle of launching a business, I do feel that there is a lack of options for small businesses between shared hosting and managed VPS. It's a price range that's currently occupied by unmanaged VPS, but small businesses may not need (or not know what to do with) that much control, and may prefer the familiarity of cpanel.

What kind of price point are you thinking about here?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

ichorclaw posted:

It's the exact same product.

Yes the exact same product with different a different attitude for the business, different management, different staff, different physical locations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

I had crashplan for a while, worked well. Ended up cancelling it because if you move a bunch of files to another machine (that you are also backing up) you have to re-upload them again, which would take a thousand years.

Not exactly a gaping flaw in their system, but it didn't make sense for me to update all of my media and then immediately erase it from their servers in order to upload it again.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

DNova posted:

You can adopt a backup set onto the new computer without re-uploading.

Really? I even asked their support, and they said no. That's annoying.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Well that's cool. Thanks, I might have to pick that up again.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Rufo posted:

yeah assuming the software you run never needs to be updated to patch security vulns

Well, you'll have to update whatever software you're running on shared hosting as well, so that doesn't change anything.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

barbarianbob posted:

"Best practice is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules." - Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean

Captain Hector Barbossa says that line, though.

Also, re: cheap VPSes. I've had a KVM VPS at bluevm for several months now, no complaints. Very reasonable pricing, and they don't care if I use IRC or use it for tunneling. 512MB of memory, some amount of processor and storage that is irrelevant to me, and 1TB of bandwidth for $8.99/month. A similarly specced OpenVZ VPS would be like $3.50 or something ridiculous.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at Aug 28, 2012 around 02:10

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

OpenVZ also shares a kernel with all of the other "machines", as it's effectively a chroot jail.

If configured properly it won't let you do anything that will cause a kernel panic and crash everyone else's VPS, but it's something to take into consideration. It also means that you can't recompile the kernel, obviously.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

No, there's no cPanel/WHM, though if you secure a license from cPanel and can install it yourself, there'd obviously be no problem. It's definitely a barebones type service though - hence the barebones price.

I've not encountered any hidden limitations so far, but I only have experience with the KVM plan.

I haven't seen any coupon codes, though there is a thread on their forums that mentions a few. If you refer someone you get a free month, if you refer <some number> of people you get a free VPS of some description, I didn't really look into it.

Also, apparently you are entitled to 10GB of free backup space (I just now saw this on their forums) if you request it, so that's neat.

I definitely don't use mine for a lot, so I can't tell you how it handles a high load or anything like that, but for IRC, writing perl scripts, VPN, and occasionally FTPing some files, it's been great.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Gnack posted:

Hmm, I can't get their free trial to work - the promo code says it's "Already used".

The most likely explanation is that it was set up on their end with a limited number of uses - just contact their support.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Milkie Galore posted:

if it's nearing expiry, it might be worth not getting in touch and waiting to see if they let it expire

you may have to buy it via auction this way (because godaddy are poo poo) but it probably won't be any more expensive than what the current owner wants for it

most/all domain registrars pull this nonsense during the reclamation period, it's not just Go Daddy.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Glorious Michigan datacenter master race.

My old job has almost all of their servers in NJ and eastern PA. I should check with them to see if everything is horrible.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

You could start by checking to see where the IP is blacklisted. You may be able to get it delisted, depending on the cause.

If it's what Bob Morales said and the range is blocked automatically, then yeah, you're pretty much out of luck.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

The only problem would be if one of my plugins is badly coded and uses up too many resources, but that should be causing performance issues already.

While I don't have a lot to contribute, this did stand out to be, as it's not necessarily true. Most shared hosts have scripts in place to kill processes before they can "run wild" (either through forking or simply refusing to die) but your VPS will not - at least not by default. I've seen more than a couple of customers switch to a VPS and immediately exhaust 4x the memory that we gave them on shared because their scripts were crap, and only managed to hobble along because of the limitations we had in place.

Disk I/O is pretty straight forward - it's just a measurement of all of the read/write operations happening on your disk. If you sign up for a budget VPS you'll probably be on 7200 RPM SAS disks in RAID-10 - not great for a box that probably has 40 VPSes on it, so if people start to use too much they get yelled at. If you think you'll need a great deal of I/O look into an SSD VPS, or at least a host that uses decent SANs to hold the VHDs.

That said, for a blog, you probably will not need crazy I/O if you make effective use of a CDN and caching, so it's probably not a huge deal.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

BJA posted:

Anyone know of any still running Black Friday deals or upcoming cyber Monday deals? Only one I have seen so far is the host I use JaguarPC which is having certain % off deals, but only for the first billing cycle. Thought I remember last year a few places had % off deals that were for the life of the account.

http://asmallorange.com/ has a cyber monday deal going, 75% off for the first month of vps/reseller/business, or first invoice of shared.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Google+ hangouts would probably be a solid solution for that problem. I honestly know little about them, but I know that nfl.com's fantasy football integrates the hangout video chat - maybe Google has some kind of an API that allows you to integrate hangouts into your site?

Re: hosting it from home. Your ISP would almost certainly be butthurt about that. Most residential ISPs expressly forbid web traffic going in to your house. Getting voice (and video) that is even moderately latency-free is a technically demanding task to accomplish, and without being able to leverage top tier internet connections with good routing (to many different locations, it sounds like) it's basically impossible.

There are probably many people here more familiar with video/voice over IP than I, but doing it from your residential connection is likely a non-starter. If you're set on rolling your own, something like SoftLayer that will have good network routes might be a decent place to start. Their customer service isn't great, but I've had good experiences with the hardware.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

$174 is not $200, for one.

For two, if HG uses enterprise hardware for their servers, you're really not going to get a significantly better deal, though I can't speak to the quality of customer service they offer.

A comparable server at SoftLayer is $219, though admittedly SoftLayer is a poor choice for entry level.

If Maniaman doesn't want server management and is okay with consumer grade hardware, yeah, he can definitely get a server for a fraction of the price, and if he's okay passing on one or the other, there's probably a good deal to be had somewhere.

Looks like a similar setup would be about $160 at Limestone with "standard support", whatever that means. Though it does include 5GB of backup space, which is pretty nice. If you bump that one up to "managed" support it's about $200 also.

E: to be clear, I probably would not get a dedi from HG, but the price isn't totally out of line if the hardware is good, which if I recall they get everything from SL, so it probably is.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2012 around 17:33

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

That disk I/O is bafflingly high, actually.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

tbh I'm not even sure how it's possible. Maybe there's some kine of OpenVZ trickery that I'm not familiar with.

They say they use 4 1TB drives in raid 10. the fastest 1TB drive I found on Tom's Hardware is a velociraptor that hits 210MB/s for peak reads and writes.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

A lot of websites get cunty about +. I signed up for vmware with myemail+vmware@gmail.com and it was fine, but their support portal logins have different requirements, because they're retards. I had to spend literally 45 minutes on the phone to get the guy to remove the +vmware from my email address so that I could log in, because tickets have to be submitted... through the support portal. I much prefer just setting up a catchall email address with my own domain, so I can sign up with facebook@domain.com and twitter@domain.com and have them all go to one place. If one gets spammy or whatever I can just redirect everything to that address to /dev/null or equivalent.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

Stealthgerbil posted:

Is anyone familiar with Cpanel or plesk? I am looking for something that would allow my friends to set up websites without having to bother me and am wondering which is better?

I'm not familiar with Plesk, but cPanel is pretty simple, and has videos for a lot of common tasks.

You can check it out for yourself, they have a demo page. http://cpanel.net/demo/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

eightysixed posted:

This is absolutely correct. And they would only do it at some weird time, like 3am on a Sunday.

If the servers are oversold, which they probably are, refusing to do backups at times when the server is likely to be in use is actually a good idea (given that choosing to just not overload the server isn't going to happen.) Better that than running backups at 6pm and having database activity grind to a halt exactly when people are trying to hit your site because CDP or cpbackup is reading from a disk that is already close to 100% usage.

«2 »