Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't had to deal with shared hosting in almost 10 years, so I'm curious how the whole "mod_php run by the same user for everyone" thing got solved? For instance how do dreamhost/hostdime/1&1/godaddy keep me from writing a phpscript that includes the database username/pass from another customers account such that I can destroy/steal their data? In 2000 people tried to deal with it via mostly "safe mode" (which was a disaster), "open_basedir" (which maybe works? I don't remember) and mostly just obfuscation. I remember some hosts were dabbling with php-as-cgi and I see suPHP exists now, but I'm less interested in what I could homegrow than what the big hosts actually do right now today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone tried the shared (or even manged) k8s hosts yet?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a really *good* php hosting company out there? like, I don't want to waste money, but is there someone who's decided to focus less on the race to the bottom and more on quality poo poo like deployment management tools or performance monitoring?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRSmurf posted:

Regarding raw transfer rate, I put together a simple wordpress blog for bandwidth comparison between hosts. This one is on Amazon Lightsail (on EC2, 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20 GB SSD, $5/mo): http://brianjam.es/

I upload files individually at 30-60mbps. Each page load transfers between 25MB and 125MB. Pages load around 300mbps. They load quickly, prior to downloading media.

jaegerx posted:

What’s the point? Aws has a cdn you can use so everything is kinda local. I don’t get transfer rate metrics.
yea just a heads up smurf, bandwidth is very very unlikely to be the constraint you need to test for in scaling or capacity planning a webapp.

the most naive-yet-valuable metric to start with would be the average response time. 50ms is good, 500ms is bad.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey research question, do any of you actually want to deal with vps poo poo? what stops you from heroku or app-engine-ing your thing?

like if you could just rsync php files somewhere and then load them in a browser... what else do you actually want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you h andle having hacked wordpress instances on your network at any given time? like, pro-actively or