Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Can we also talk domain registration in here or is there another thread?

Im registered with godaddy for another few months and I want to keep my domain, but I want to move to other hosting. How can I transfer my domain to new hosting? Im thinking of going over to lithum but all I really need is some cheapish hosting that has good rails support.

Mediatemple and godaddy are terrible with rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Bob Morales posted:

Oops, I meant doesn't support net neutrality.

Makes sense, the site is one huge, shameless attempt to make as much money as they possibly can. Consider them dropped.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So Im looking for new hosting for a couple sites Im working on. Im trying to learn Rails 3 by converting their old sites into CMS sites and Im going to need something preferably cheap and something that supports Rails 3.

I just moved my personal site over to Lithium and while the price is right, it doesnt look like they support rails 3.

Any suggestions? SpeedyRails looks promising, and $10 a month isnt bad but a lot of my clients are tattoo artists and dont want to spend much on hosting.

edit - Id prefer something like cpanel too, just in case the site changes hands or they decide to move to WP.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

atastypie posted:

You should really just host on Heroku. You'll need an Amazon S3 account to handle file uploads. If the site changes hands, you can transfer them ownership of the project pretty easily.

haha yea everyone keeps telling me to just use Heroku. I use it for testing my rails sites and it is pretty awesome, but its a bit expensive for what Ill be making I think.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I have a bunch of clients who want new sites, which Im going to build with a wordpress theme I've made but I'm kinda lost when it comes to hosting.

I user lithium for my personal site and Im grandfathered into $5 a month (paying monthly) but it looks like the new payment plan for shared hosting is either like $1 a month for limited bandwidth and storage, or 1,2,or 3 year advance payment for unlimited resources. I probably need the unlimited resource package since one of the clients uses something like 100gb of bandwidth a month but Im not sure if they want to pay that much upfront.

Im also seeing that a lot of other sites offering shared hosting plans also require this advance payment which sucks. Whats a good hosting provider that still does $5 month to month hosting?

Alternatively - I was thinking about maybe purchasing a dedicated server and setting up everything my self (charging each client monthly) cause that could be fun and like half these sites dont get poo poo for traffic.

Im not that experienced in these server side of things so any advice is good advice!