Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Okay so here's the deal: I'm starting at least one, if not a couple of blog networks based on Wordpress (using the 3.0 multiple blog system and domain mapping) with a few business partners. I'm looking for a host that has fast serving speed but isn't super costly. The hosting doesn't need to have a ton of bandwidth or space, speed is the important factor for now--slow sites are a sure fire way to kill any potential audience growth. Once we have a growing audience we'll reconsider our needs for scalability and possibly switch hosts at that time. As this is a new project(s), page views will be low for a while while we build up audience, so I'm open even to shared hosting. Cost per month shouldn't be higher than $10-15 and the hosting should include unlimited domain mapping, I don't want to pay extra per month per domain I own as there will be potentially multiple dozens of domains. A host that allows you to easily scale up your hosting would be great. Note that as this is a Wordpress project cpu utilization will likely be kind of on the high side, despite all our best intentions, as WP makes so many DB calls.

Should I be looking at VPS solutions or is there a shared host that can handle this, and which hosts are known to have very fast serving speeds? Is Amazon ec2 something I should be considering?

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

eightysixed posted:

Honestly, HostGator has never failed me, and I run a pretty large site.

They're definitely in the top of my initial research of shared hosts. Seem quite fast, great options. I'm sure they oversell like every shared host but oh well. I'm also thinking I could base the network on a shared host like HostGator and simply use cloud serving for media if the demand starts to spike before having to move to a full VPS solution.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

dvgrhl posted:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I see a lot of people do what you are doing and I think there are some things you need to re-think. You're worried about speed and future growth on a site that hasn't even launched yet. There's nothing wrong with doing a little planning ahead, but you're already talking about VPSs and cloud serving before the site is even up and drawing a regular audience. And then you're wanting to start out on a host spending a maximum of $15 a month.

If you're really sure that you need to be putting a lot of thought into expansion at this point, then you should just be starting out on a good VPS to begin with rather than a shared host. Otherwise, I think your focus is better spent on getting the site up and running and building up an audience, and you can worry about expansion later on when that time comes. It takes much more work getting regular readers than it does to move a Wordpress site to a new host.

I'm not new to this game, neither are my partners, this is simply the first time we've decided to conglomerate holdings on new ventures due to Wordpress going MU in core. I just personally don't have a lot of experience with hosting decisions and I'd like to go into discussions a bit better armed. I'm not taking the advice the wrong way it's just a bit off the mark. We're fine on the audience development front and fully understand the complexities and difficulties, we aren't putting the cart before the horse. We're considering starting shared, scaling media to our AWS acount as necessary, then moving to VPS or ec2. Now if we can find a VPS that has what we're looking for at a low no contract price, it'll be high in the considerations--hence the questions. We want to keep startup costs low for a variety of reasons and committing to more hosting than we need while we're building is wasted money.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Not if you have say $10K or so to spend on branding and marketing. Maybe $5K if you know a talented designer that can cut you deals and you're comfortable managing your own online reputation. This is really a business question not a hosting question.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

deadbian posted:

Poor linode, they are such a good provider and this is just going to lose them so many contracts.

Right after they upgraded everything too. Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Certificates are related to hosting, so I'll try this thread: Symantec is refusing to update our certs to support Certificate Transparency until we renew them. This is frustrating, and their certs are rather outrageously expensive. Solid recommendations for certificate authorities that support wildcard domains, ssl with extended validation, and certificate transparency?