Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

My sister is a artist and I put a little website together for her with a online portfolio/gallery of her paintings etc for her to put on her business cards and let people know when she is next exhibiting etc, and went through Lithium Hosting, which for her needs is ideal. I don't know how it'd be for a high volume site (the first request sometimes takes a few seconds to load but after that everything is pretty much instantaneous speedwise) but for the number of visitors she gets, I'm very happy with the price.

A cautionary tale though, as R1CH said, cpanel makes it easy to install packages but its easy to mess them up if yo udon't know what you're doing. I had some folder permissions setup wrong in Joomla when I first set everything up, and found a load of rogue spam links inserted into one or the folders, which was completely my own fault for not taking the time to sit down and read through what the different permissions were and how to lock everything down (after I nuked the site restarted from scratch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Not sure this is the right thread for this question or not, but can anyone recommend a good SEO guide? My Sister sells artwork and I maintain a small website for her, and I'd like make sure I'm getting her as much exposure as possible.

I've used Google's webmaster tools on her site and followed its suggestions to make sure every page can be indexed and crawled and has relevant keywords/meta description. All the guides I can find seem to be more towards the scummy side of SEO and getting yourself on terrible linkfarms etc.

I know a small business website isn't ever going to get amazing results/rankings and don't expect to be the #1 result for 'Artist' or anything silly like that, just want to make sure I've done everything I can (that isn't scummy) to promote her site etc.