Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

nbv4 posted:

go on irc and find someone with a vps and ask them for an account

or pay 3 bux a month at http://www.amdwebhost.com/

Thank you for suggesting us kind sir :-D

If you guys have any questions I would be happy to answer them as shell hosting could be a little tricky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Centipeed posted:

Thank you, this is perfect.

I'm always shocked when I look at UK hosting and see that they're charging £30 a year for less than what I get at £7 a year from a US host.

Bandwidth is generally more expensive in UK (or used to be since the last time I checked).

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

I always feel out of place posting as a web host in one of these threads, but Lithium Hosting now has ASP / .Net hosting available. It's a new offering and isn't advertised on the website or SA-Mart thread at all.
Direct Signup Link. It's $69.99 a year for unlimited disk and bandwidth.

Can you share where you got unlimited disk and bandwidth? We might move our 7 servers to your $69.99 account.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DNova posted:

HostDime has an anti-IRC policy, which is pretty ridiculous. But you allow game servers, which makes so much sense, right?

Game servers: High bandwidth, high cpu, target of attack
IRC: extremely low bandwidth, low cpu, target of attack MAYBE if you're doing shady crap.

Asinine.

IRC is more prone to abuse and requires semi-open shell access.

Plus monitoring/upkeep of an IRC server is more complicated.

Completely different ball game.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DNova posted:

These are virtual private servers and dedicated servers which by default have wide open shells and root access. What is so hard about maintaining an IRCD? Not that maintenance of services has ANYTHING to do with the host. It's completely up to the customer. Not the host's problem.

And besides that, I'm not even talking about running an IRCD.

I'm not sure why you are arguing with somebody who runs a shell hosting company for over 7 years.

Virtual private servers and dedicated servers do not share users with open shell access on the same machine. Again completely different ball game.

I never said it's hard to maintain IRCD.

I said that it's hard to maintain IRC server, as in a server that offers IRC friendly shell accounts.

I'm sure from user perspective everything looks very easy, you add users to a server and go lay on the beach; but that's not the case in the real world application.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

DNova posted:

I'm not really sure what you're talking about... I think we're talking about different things. IRCD = IRC Server = Server to which users connect in order to chat in IRC channels.

Shell accounts offering IRC access for things like bnc and eggdrop bots are completely different. I would never want to run a service like that.

edit: I would believe you if you told me the majority of those "shell accounts" are abused, but I don't think most VPS (at least higher end ones)/Dedi/Colo users are intending to get into shady bullshit with their expensive servers.

I think we were initially talking about a different things; 'shady' users will mostly use VPS to host IRCd servers for sole purpose of connecting and controlling infected computers on the network.

While VPS services do cost more, for a serious 'shady' user it's a non-issue since they are probably doing this professionally.

Most of quality shell hosting companies (as far as I know) actively track and detect such abuse on shared shell servers which forces such users to look elsewhere.

Furthermore; offering IRC access on 'high end' servers attracts another headache called 'fraud'; the same users that need IRC will commit fraud and cost your company tons of overhead and financial burden.

Not to miss another factor that comes into play: when you are offering IRC access you will have to separate network segments for web and IRC, plus have tons of incoming bandwidth along with proper mitigation hardware in place. That costs a lot of money.

While it's true you can just throw both services together; once somebody on IRC segment get's attacked you will be loosing web customers left and right (which is not that great :))

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Arcana posted:

I know...does anyone have any experience with their shared hosting? That i-node limitation at hostgator kinda scares me...

Edit: I've read bad things about cPanel as well which hostgator uses...and steadfast uses Lightspeed and H-Sphere...how well does that work?

Steadfast is solid. Owner is a very nice guy who knows his stuff.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

nbv4 posted:

I remember hearing about this one hosting company that offers VPS's to users which are really cheap, but are completely unsupported. I think I remember hearing about how they get their hardware from some other larger hosting company as handy downs when the larger company upgrades. I can't remember the name of this company, can anoyone help me out?

Also, theres another company (which I can't remember the name of either) thats similar in that their VPS's are completely unmanaged. The website is plain text and their prices are half of what linode/slicehost costs, and you get the same specs.

Basically I'm wanting to move from my Linode account to something thats roughly the same size, yet a little cheaper. I've been administrating sites deployed on VPS's for years now and have never had the need to file a single ticket. Why pay extra for stuff you'll never use?

http://www.prgmr.com keep in mind you get what you pay for as performance wise they do not stack up to Linode/etc.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005
Hey guys, we added a new coupon code 'goons' which will give you 50% off on any product we offer (except service extras) when selecting a monthly billing cycle.

Pretty much allows you to purchase a shell hosting or a web hosting package for under a buck.

Enjoy and let me know if you run into any problems.

http://www.amdwebhost.com

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

How the hell do you set it up so the users can't gently caress everything up?

Are there any guides or pre-configured setups out there?

Or is it just trial/error from locking users down and giving them a little here, a little there and figuring that out from years of experience running a shell host. I had a rootshell.be account (Free) and it must have been on a 286 because it was slower than molasses and only 12 people were logged in.

Due to security reasons I can't give you any specific details but the number one prevention is to have a very proactive monitoring and customer screening process in place.

Several years back abuse/fraud was out of control, but as of 2009 it went down dramatically. Either we did a pretty good job rejecting/kicking users off and word got around or it actually dropped world wide. I will never know.

And yes, trial and error was a big factor when we started several years ago.

In regards to a free shell hosting 'companies', those (from what I observed) never last and receive tons of abuse. Since you are not paying anything for the account it's a safe bet that there will be no expansion of any sort to handle more accounts once things start to slow down.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

R1CH posted:

If you can't give out details about your security for "security reasons" then it's not very good security.

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Are there any serious options I should look into? My boss is pretty adamant we move away from having our own hardware, due to a number of factors, but nothing really seems to fit the bill for us cleanly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If current setup works, why fix it? Since you already have your own hardware in place I'm certain that leasing new hardware and switching to a non co-located solution will cost you more headache.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Braggot posted:

What shared hosting company would be best to host a site with 30+ videos/screencasts? These aren't streamed from YouTube they would be hosted on the web server, probably 40mb per video.

Any company that does not oversell their bandwidth.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

optikalus posted:

You keep saying this, but it just isn't true in my experience.

Agreed, there are too many factors.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Went to sign up today (I think it's in the queue) - is that coupon dead now? I didn't get any confirmation (even to reject it) but the total rang up as normal.

I figured best not to tempt fate so decided to switch away from pre-paying for a few months to just one. Even at full price, I suppose I'd like to try out the service (been years since I had a shell account, bit o' nostalgia, really), but the coupon made it a no brainer. Sounds ridiculous to say given the dollar amounts we're talking about, but I'm trying and experimenting with a few different projects concurrently (some web, some not) so there's at least a psychological aspect.

I went ahead and activated you, sorry the weekends are a bit slow when it comes to processing orders.

The coupon only works on monthly basis, but I will go ahead and refund the difference.

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Thanks, especially considering it being a weekend. My query about whether new accounts were resolved on the weekend was only really to make sure nothing had gone wrong.

I don't mind the monthly aspect, I was just not sure if it expired (being a month old) or something else broke. Thanks again for the awesome service.

Good first impression so far.

:) Thank you. If anything is bugging you, please feel free to get in touch with me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleksey
Nov 7, 2005

Fayk posted:

Linode looks and sounds pretty good (speaking as someone with nearly no experience in this realm, but just learning a bit recently out of curiosity) - especially with the recent changes.

As a hobbyist though, I wish they almost snuck a cheaper/budget plan in at the new bottom-end. There are cheaper VPS hosts, but they all just seem like such fly-by-night operations. I was thinking (short of the $5 shady ones) that rackspace cloud stuff sounded decent for the ~$11 range. Maybe my standards are mis-calibrated.

What is the proper/best contact method? I had some feedback (nothing I need fixed for myself, but might save trouble down the road or smooth things over for new people) if it's useful.

stacie.w aaaaat amdwebhost.com.