Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Stuntman posted:

Does that actually work? I've heard that it does, and I've heard that it doesn't.

I tried it once, all it did was cause a nearby civilian to get scared and run away. The beer was still warm. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Le Sean posted:

I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Get Regeneration as soon as you can and upgrade it as much as you can.

Other than that, use whatever you want (most are useful only under certain conditions or aren't useful at all, just use whatever you think would work for you).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Le Sean posted:

I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Get the Speeed Aug (preferably upgraded too) and you'll not miss any cool secrety bits. That's about it; you really can't screw up.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

The Supreme Court posted:

Get the Speeed Aug (preferably upgraded too) and you'll not miss any cool secrety bits. That's about it; you really can't screw up.

This is what I was going to say. You get a choice between the speed aug and the Run Silent aug, but speed is the one you want. After a couple upgrades to Speed, you'll be able to jump just about anywhere in a level. Run Silent is worthless because you can crouchwalk with the speed aug to "run" silently.

Other than that there are no real obvious aug choices. Almost every aug has some use.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'd recommend the melee aug over the strength aug since being able to pick up heavy crates isn't that useful unless you're going to be dropping them on people but this choice is just personal preference anyway.

Anything planned for the 10 year anniversary?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I said come in! posted:

Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game.

Get out, you troll you.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
But the strength aug lets you pick up those huge crates, so you can stack them and get on top of nearly everything.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flannelette posted:

I'd recommend the melee aug over the strength aug since being able to pick up heavy crates isn't that useful unless you're going to be dropping them on people but this choice is just personal preference anyway.

Anything planned for the 10 year anniversary?
But killing people with heavy crates is the best part of this game.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Just reinstalled this game a few days ago as I do every few years. The best mod to use with it is shifter http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1 . Got any zime?

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Noh advisible for tourist to visit the canal at night.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Here's some Deus Ex-inspired music you guys might not have heard before:

http://www.myspace.com/zymebag

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Trouble Man posted:

I like how one of the newspapers you can find just before the end of the game describes how America is just collapsing into riots and Governors are refusing to obey FEMA and the head of the Joint Chiefs gets sacked for refusing to order troops to fire on civilians and the Secretary of Defence resigns and it's all just going to hell.

It's chilling how when the game came out in 2000 I was like "terrorist attacks in New York, government spying, talk of secession, militias, FEMA death camps, this poo poo is whack" and now look 10 years later.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Here, add these better renderers for modern computers, so you don't have to drag out your Voodoo2 cards:

1) Opengl and Direct3D 9
2) Direct3D 10

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Just popped in to say that this thread was like one big walk down the memory lane, I can't believe that I haven't played Deus Ex in 6 years (melee+speed+dragon tooth+iron skin=:c00lbert:). Welp, that's one more to do -point after graduation.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Yay, a Deus Ex Megathread :neckbeard: Just what I always wanted

My parents bought it for me for Christmas when I was around 12. I didn't ask for any games that year but I guess they just picked up one from a bargain bin because it was cheap (times were hard back then). Just so happened to be Deus Ex which became my most favourite game ever :) Thanks parents

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jvGCFF-pg

Oh no cats!!!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

That just reminded me of the cat lady in Paris.

Green Greasy Greasels

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
http://ispeeeelmydreeenk.ytmnd.com/

Rhetoric? And you believe it?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Something to add to the OP: if you're having weird speed issues where the game seems to run slightly fast or slightly slow for a few seconds at a time, download this and then replace DeusEx.exe and DeusEx.int with the given files. Works like a charm for my laptop.

Edit: More info about the fix here

404notfound fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 11, 2010

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
DX is one of those games that I've lost count of how many playthroughs I've had. I'll definitely have to try the shifter mod next time around.

One of my favourite glitches is at the Ocean Lab. You toss a scrambler grenade at the huge bots guarding the dock, and they inexplicably start targeting the seagulls with volleys of rockets and machinegun fire.
It's hilarious watching a ludicrously expensive military death machine hunting innocent creatures.

Vonkrieger
May 14, 2009
Nap Ghost
This game was fun until I got the beam sword.

Why the hell did they put a beam sword in this game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vonkrieger posted:

It's not a beam sword. :P Otherwise it would only take up one square in your inventory. It's a physical sword that, when activated has a layer of nanites flooding around the edge to constantly give it the ideal edge for whatever they detect it swinging towwards.

Nanomachines.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Deus Ex was a great game that did a lot of things we take for granted now for the first time. I'm glad I played it within a couple years of it coming out, because it was really mind-blowing and unfortunately I don't see much point in someone used to playing modern games investing a lot of time in it. The only real "oh WOW!" moment that still works is holy poo poo I'm being held in UNATCO HQ! Its time really has passed, and the flaws we overlooked back then (poo poo leveling system, awful character models and animation, worthless shooting) are just massively glaring now.

You can see its influence in modern games. Deus Ex really did show how to do an RPG that wasn't top-down. The Mass Effect games remind me a lot of it...granted, without the child killing - gaming really has lost its spine when it comes to gratuitous violence, shoot someone with a rocket launcher nowadays and they just ragdoll away, no bloody chunks leaving behind red smear decals as the slide away.

Vonkrieger posted:

The real question is why all games don't have a beam sword.

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

404notfound posted:

Something to add to the OP: if you're having weird speed issues where the game seems to run slightly fast or slightly slow for a few seconds at a time, download this and then replace DeusEx.exe and DeusEx.int with the given files. Works like a charm for my laptop.

Edit: More info about the fix here

I tried doing this but now the game just crashs.

Vonkrieger posted:

So you can break all the doors in the game.:black101:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

What's wrong with Deus Ex's leveling system? I like it a lot.

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:
I'm just about to go through Versalife for the second time, and I wanted to share some of the little things about the game.

1. Shifter is the loving balls. Yeah, it fixes the inventory glitch, the pause-during-lockpicking/multitooling glitch, the infinite-skillpoint glitch, and the Dragon's Tooth is no longer a "break all doors forever" weapon - but of the features:

• NPC random loot table - especially nice for the MiB/WiB, gives a reason to do for a knockout.
  • Skill points for kills/knockouts based on difficulty and how you did it - downing a MJ12 commando with a riot prod or pistol headshots will give more that just chucking a LAM.
  • Stealth skillpoint bonus for not killing people, and sneaking around them.
  • YOU WILL NOT PICK UP THE COMBAT KNIFE IF YOU HAVE A BETTER MELEE ITEM IN INVENTORY.
  • Zyme actually does something useful before it goes into super-drunk mode.
  • Unique weapons - nothing gamebreaking except lol railgun in Paris but a nice touch and plus for exploring
  • SKUL GUN.
  • Unrealistic mode. Greasels with shotguns.

2. Map glitch in the Canals, where the tunnel under Tonnochi Road has a part of the wall missing and you can walk on water in a part. You can see the dead scientist surrounded by karkians with the aug upgrade through the invisible wall. Very weird the first time.

3. The Triads / Monks speak Cantonese. "Neh hoh ma" is How are you? and "Um goi ge gao" is Excuse me. Just a random touch.

4. Enemy Within (the music when you escape the MJ12 base into Unatco HQ is such a fantastic song.

Has anyone here done a full non-lethal run? I stayed non-lethal (including no turret dickery, and even moving bodies before blowing up the NSF generator) up until the raid on the 'Ton, where even Paul started loving poo poo up. Supposedly you can even get past Anna Navarre if you injure before the scripted convo kicks in, the last time you fight.

Go with Christ fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 11, 2010

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 15, 2012

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

"Teacher,which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" She replied, "Clean your stove with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." :chef:

Shifty Scandaroon posted:

Has anybody figured out how to open that god drat safe in Manderly's office?

It's impossible as far as I know without no-clipping.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Go with Christ posted:

Has anyone here done a full non-lethal run? I stayed non-lethal (including no turret dickery, and even moving bodies before blowing up the NSF generator) up until the raid on the 'Ton, where even Paul started loving poo poo up. Supposedly you can even get past Anna Navarre if you injure before the scripted convo kicks in, the last time you fight.

There's a Youtube video up somewhere if you search. Basically, you throw a LAM after she finishes talking, and her AI will run away from it, and sometimes she'll run through and unlock the locked door that you're only supposed to access once you take the key from her corpse.

Go with Christ
Jan 14, 2006

Phenotype posted:

There's a Youtube video up somewhere if you search. Basically, you throw a LAM after she finishes talking, and her AI will run away from it, and sometimes she'll run through and unlock the locked door that you're only supposed to access once you take the key from her corpse.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to, except the one I saw built a box tower to bypass the two staircases and threw the LAM before the scripting.

Rogaine Yoshi
Apr 10, 2006

by Ozma

Gumball Dad posted:

Install the Nameless Mod.

Does anyone have the videos showcasing how loving lovely that mod was. "Dude you're getting a dell" was the only thing I remember.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvClV94Zl8

This is the best deus ex video.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
So glad for this thread. I'm on my second playthrough of Deus Ex (first with the Shifter mod) and it's even better this time around. What sold me on Deus Ex was when I was going through Versalife and, needing some medkits, decided to break into the storage room and nab a few. Later, when I got to the guy you do the sidequest for to get discounts on stuff, I found a newspaper article talking about how a lack of supplies led to a number of patient deaths. It was just a random little text blip from a newspaper, but it was loving awesome.

Deus Ex is so badass.

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Unless you're running the game on a 2000 pentium 4 system at 640x480, you'll probably want to download and run this:
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

jusion fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 11, 2010

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I can never find the time to beat this game. I've had it on Steam for a while and I know it's a great game since I've played it many times. Something always seems to come up and force me to give up.

I was stuck on the part where you drop into some base from the roof and there are 2 robots guarding the room. I never got passed that part. :negative:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jusion posted:

Unless you're running the game on a 2000 pentium 4 system at 640x480, you'll probably want to download and run this:
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

drat you!
I've been getting all A's in school and have a major project due tomorrow...but being able to play Deus Ex on a modern computer without graphic errors is just too tempting...
Looks like I know what I'll be doing the rest of the week. :neckbeard:

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ProfessorGroove posted:

Just reinstalled this game a few days ago as I do every few years. The best mod to use with it is shifter http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1 . Got any zime?

No, but do you have any ambrosia?

I got about half way through the game and I just quit playing. It's a decent game I just got bored with it. Maybe i'll finish it sometime, who knows.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

how loving lovely that mod was
What bugged me about it was that it was technically well done with good level design and gameplay, but I still couldn't get into it because of the retarded LOL I CAN HAS INTERWEBS poo poo. I mean there's actually an item called "lollerskates."

Oh, while we're posting videos here's one of mine. I can't remember who made the music but it wasn't me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCzK-rlwP4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, if you can ignore the lol internet stuff, it's worth playing. The design is excellent and pure Deus Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

Does anyone have the videos showcasing how loving lovely that mod was. "Dude you're getting a dell" was the only thing I remember.

They're not mine but here they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzmHLZ4dUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-GK9p523o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Tpc7RO4I4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdazxfCOas