Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I think the only enemies I've actually killed are Dvali, the guys in Dubai when I got made, some ARC (also when I got made), and some of the Aug Church members (also also when I got made). I got through GARM cleanly in stealth, loading a save only once when I tried to shoot one of the gold masks with my silenced pistol in the head and learning it was armored. Before he hit the super armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Welp, I found my reason to go all out with the infiltration of Dvali territory. I just decided to go all weapons free and Jensen'd all over them. Shooting in MD feels really good and I might do that more often.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's got that Dishonored problem where the combat is cool & fun but the game kinda doesn't want you to do it and most people don't.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
At least the non-lethal takedowns and taser are pretty fun. Dunking on ZYR’s penthouse security never gets old even if I’m not pressing many buttons. It would make a good Batman: Arkham arena.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I appreciate that MD gives you more opportunities to do the double takedown. It's so satisfying.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

aniviron posted:

It's got that Dishonored problem where the combat is cool & fun but the game kinda doesn't want you to do it and most people don't.

Any excuse to post this video from a guy who might as well be a wizard for the way he plays Dishonored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8

Edit: well worth clicking through. It's age restricted because he has a habit of using soldier's decapitated heads to throw at other soldiers to knock them to their doom.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 25, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

Edit: well worth clicking through. It's age restricted because he has a habit of using soldier's decapitated heads to throw at other soldiers to knock them to their doom.
Just yt-dlp it in five seconds if you're on PC because gently caress signing into things you don't have to.

... and that video is pretty much the Nightcrawler White House scene if X2 wanted to go for a hard-R rating.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grimthwacker posted:

Welp, I found my reason to go all out with the infiltration of Dvali territory. I just decided to go all weapons free and Jensen'd all over them. Shooting in MD feels really good and I might do that more often.

Yeah just let the funk fly free imo

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

Any excuse to post this video from a guy who might as well be a wizard for the way he plays Dishonored:

Knew what it would be before I clicked through, watched it anyway. This person takes quicksaving until you get the fight just the way you wanted so far to the extreme that it comes out the other side and turns into art & spectacle & satisfaction instead of frustration.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Mankind Divided beaten, best ending.

Crafty Eidos people, making me think there was a binary choice. I went straight for Marchenko first, and after banging my head against that fight a few times (more on that in a sec) I reloaded to save the VIPs - it took most of my AP ammo, but imagine my surprise when the Marchenko fight intro after that was the exact same. Jammer used, GG no re.

The Marchenko fight was grade A bullcrap. Let's have a guy with a laser cannon and super armor and make the arena filled with booby traps, turrets AND flying drones that you can't take down easily without AP ammo! I'm glad I stockpiled all that ammo because I blew through the majority of it by the end. I also was able to grab the Titan aug beforehand, so that helped considerably. Did they learn nothing from how the boss fights in Human Revolution were done and received before the Director's Cut? Because I think that was an artificial difficulty spike.

The Jensen Stories are just little self-contained scenarios, right? It'll be a while before I get back to this game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grimthwacker posted:

Mankind Divided beaten, best ending.

Crafty Eidos people, making me think there was a binary choice. I went straight for Marchenko first

Fun fact: you can run right up to him and just stun him in the head to avoid the fight. It takes a few zaps, but it’s surprisingly effective.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Grimthwacker posted:

The Jensen Stories are just little self-contained scenarios, right? It'll be a while before I get back to this game.

As mentioned a lot, the DLC to MD is pretty good and the Prison level is nice and huge. Definitely try to do a second run through without augs, it turns the game into basically a Thief level.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can i play this video game on my "steam deck". i want to experience the old "imsims" but i'm a bed gamer

i know the answer is usually "yes just rebind all the keys" but i'm asking because 1) it's an old game and 2) a lot of pc games just feel awful to play on the deck even with rebinding because they require a lot of clicking things. but maybe some of y'all have experience getting this to run on the deck

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Emulate the PS2 version..I'm about 80% kidding.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I never played it but yeah the playstation port is supposedly very high effort.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played through both, and PC version with keyboard and mouse is definitely better. But the PS2 version is playable, it's still Deus Ex. And it condenses the controls into something usable on a game controller. Basically, unless there's a mod out there for the PC version to improve quality of life with the steam controller, I'd try the PS2 version as a starting point.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Your Computer posted:

can i play this video game on my "steam deck". i want to experience the old "imsims" but i'm a bed gamer

i know the answer is usually "yes just rebind all the keys" but i'm asking because 1) it's an old game and 2) a lot of pc games just feel awful to play on the deck even with rebinding because they require a lot of clicking things. but maybe some of y'all have experience getting this to run on the deck

I have played through Deus Ex on Deck as one of the first games and while yes you have to bind everything, the touchscreen makes for easy inventory management and trackpad/gyro aiming is great. Stuff like keypads are great for the touchscreen too. Great battery life is a plus.

I created a virtual menu for all the augs and everything, which made it super comfy. Use the Kentie launcher like you would normally.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Your Computer posted:

a big part of what makes the pc imsims enjoyable(and tolerable) is how elegantly you can interact with the environment using mouselook. it's not as intensive as an rts or a crpg but you are going to be clicking on a lot of tiny poo poo yeah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

brap posted:

Emulate the PS2 version..I'm about 80% kidding.
i literally had no idea this even existed and now i'm shook

if i can't get anything else to work the way i want to then i might....

Vic posted:

I have played through Deus Ex on Deck as one of the first games and while yes you have to bind everything, the touchscreen makes for easy inventory management and trackpad/gyro aiming is great. Stuff like keypads are great for the touchscreen too. Great battery life is a plus.

I created a virtual menu for all the augs and everything, which made it super comfy. Use the Kentie launcher like you would normally.
maybe i'll give it a shot! it's good to hear that the game works at least. i have some problems with both virtual menus (bugs out all the time) and touchscreen (it seems weirdly inaccurate? like there's some offset on it) but if you played through the whole game on the deck then that's a pretty good endorsement for it working!

idontpost69 posted:

a big part of what makes the pc imsims enjoyable(and tolerable) is how elegantly you can interact with the environment using mouselook. it's not as intensive as an rts or a crpg but you are going to be clicking on a lot of tiny poo poo yeah.
i know what you mean but i'm also convinced that it's a genre which can work perfectly well on consoles if the controls are just adapted for it. the much bigger issue than environment interaction is ui and things like inventory management, dialogue choices, etc. which typically don't have any keybinds on old pc games and i ran into this when i tried to play Neverwinter Nights on my deck because it was just painful to pick dialogue options and stuff with the touchscreen or virtual mouse cursor... which is doubly frustrating because nwn was ported to consoles with full controller support, it was just never backported to the pc version.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

maybe i'll give it a shot! it's good to hear that the game works at least. i have some problems with both virtual menus (bugs out all the time) and touchscreen (it seems weirdly inaccurate? like there's some offset on it) but if you played through the whole game on the deck then that's a pretty good endorsement for it working!

I just reinstalled to check:

The UI and text is small, and enlarging it via the Kentie launcher settings to 2x will cut off the top and the bottom of some screens due to the screen aspect ratio. The touchscreen works great, but only with Kentie's exe. I never had trouble hitting buttons using it even though the buttons are small.

But it's not necessary at all, just a nice to have feature. Trackpads are a breeze and every button on the interface has a alt+hotkey combo you can bind however you'd like. It really only depends how well you set up the controls for yourself.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also now I'm replaying Deus Ex thanks a lot!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

To the special people involved in making GMDX, the ones who added empty cardboard crates everywhere and locked the HARDCORE mode behind finishing a playthrough:
go gently caress yourselves, there is such a thing as going too far.

everything else is P.great.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

By popular demand posted:

To the special people involved in making GMDX, the ones who added empty cardboard crates everywhere and locked the HARDCORE mode behind finishing a playthrough:
go gently caress yourselves, there is such a thing as going too far.

turn on cheats, use the legend menu to warp to one of the endings

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Too late for that, I chose to re-complete the game and then bitch about it here.
Are you any different?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

By popular demand posted:

Too late for that, I chose to re-complete the game and then bitch about it here.
Are you any different?

Yes, in fact; I got the Steam achievements for several of Revision's Challenges by editing the INI to show them as complete, like the one where you have to disable all the UCs and grey-matter reactors in Area 51 Sector 4 in like three minutes on Realistic, and then doing the ones that weren't bullshit

No, in principle; I got Dead in 24 Hours legitimately. I'll probably never stop bitching about the map design, either.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/Limaqq_limaqq/status/1763856304496402439/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Has it been brought up how the recent Robocop Rogue City is incredibly Deus Ex influenced?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Terminator: Resistance was too, its kinda funny that Teyon went from making budget mobile games, to a really bad and simplistic Rambo rail shooter, then went straight to oddly ambitious quasi-immersive sims.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Has it been brought up how the recent Robocop Rogue City is incredibly Deus Ex influenced?

How so?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mission hubs with all sorts of little side quests, walk around the area, talk to people, investigate clues, very cyberpunk looking. RPG elements with upgrade points for various skill trees. It’s even set in Detroit!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This is the trouble with the written medium at times, I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My only joke is about Detroit because the joke was the other way around when Human Revolution came out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Serephina posted:

This is the trouble with the written medium at times, I honestly can't tell if you're joking.

No, the new Robocop game is full of hub areas with side quests and cases to solve and has RPG stat elements and weapon mod upgrades, including a conversation skill tree. It's not as detailed as the likes of Deus Ex or even Prey 2017 and you don't have as much choice for navigating the levels as a traditional immersive sim, but I kind of get the comparison.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Selenephos posted:

No, the new Robocop game is full of hub areas with side quests and cases to solve and has RPG stat elements and weapon mod upgrades, including a conversation skill tree. It's not as detailed as the likes of Deus Ex or even Prey 2017 and you don't have as much choice for navigating the levels as a traditional immersive sim, but I kind of get the comparison.

Robocop (1987) is set in Detroit

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Robocop (1987) is set in Detroit

Yes? I know. I'm just saying it has some minor similarities to other immersive sims too that I can see the comparison besides the setting of Detroit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Robocop is an fps rpg (lite?), so it is somewhat similar to the nu DX games yeah. Not uniquely so, but still

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
in the first level you kill (0)451 criminal scumbags

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I can’t really see Robocop being a turbo dork weirdo that sneaks through vents to read peoples’ emails.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Robocop no, but Robert Cop? he's the furniture of law enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve been watching BigMooney play it, and Robo definitely reads people’s emails.