Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Male Man posted:

Shifter fixes this too!

In Shifter you can use the "Drop" key to hand your equipped weapon to NPCs, and the author has altered the scripts so that it works properly in the two instances you're referring to. That means that you can toss Mr. Renton whatever pistol you found on the side of the street instead of the miniature sniper rifle you've been building.

Basically, Shifter is awesome about everything forever.
So during those scripts I hand over my equipped weapon instead of the first 10mm pistol it finds? That's cool; I always had a spare sawed-off shotgun for Gilbert anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

I would play Deus Ex through the first time without the kill XP bonuses. The other ones like stealth and hygiene (Shifter rewards you with a small bonus for flushing a dirty toilet :v:), but the kill ones might encourage a single playstyle, and if you're ok with killing dudes it definitely encourages hunting down every enemy.
Oh, and Explosive 10mm. That stuff should be earned by subsequent playthroughs.

Shifter adds some fun stuff but I would never suggest it for a first playthrough.

And removing kill xp bonuses and leaving the other stuff intact seems even wierder. Is stealthing the 'correct' way to play? No, the game is about playing the way you want and handing out any form of bonus for stealth or killing stuff messes that up. The only way to keep this neutral is to provide the same skill points for everyone like the original does.

Shifter also makes the game alot easier, seeing as you can use aug cannister to upgrade your augs. Which lets you max every aug pretty fast instead of having to choose what you want to focus on.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Lordpen posted:

Shifter adds some fun stuff but I would never suggest it for a first playthrough.

And removing kill xp bonuses and leaving the other stuff intact seems even wierder. Is stealthing the 'correct' way to play? No, the game is about playing the way you want and handing out any form of bonus for stealth or killing stuff messes that up. The only way to keep this neutral is to provide the same skill points for everyone like the original does.

Shifter also makes the game alot easier, seeing as you can use aug cannister to upgrade your augs. Which lets you max every aug pretty fast instead of having to choose what you want to focus on.

There never were kill xp bonuses, though. Shifter added both the takedown and stealth bonuses.

Either 'skillful' combat or stealth is the 'correct' way to play Shifter; if you blunder into firefights like a dummy and just tank your way through everything you don't really get any reward. I don't think he's managed to implement rewards for well-arranged traps, either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ArcMage posted:

There never were kill xp bonuses, though. Shifter added both the takedown and stealth bonuses.

Either 'skillful' combat or stealth is the 'correct' way to play Shifter; if you blunder into firefights like a dummy and just tank your way through everything you don't really get any reward. I don't think he's managed to implement rewards for well-arranged traps, either.

What he means is that you should either get points for both (don't disable anything) or not get points at all (don't use shifter). That way, one approach isn't necessarily better.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

very happy hog posted:

You don't remember weapon mods? Scope, laser sight, silencer, etc, etc?

Blinging out that 10mm pistol and making it into a mini death-machine was one of the best parts of the game.

In my defense, I was only about 15 or so when I played Deus Ex for the first time. I was used to Quake 3 and other FPS games back then, and at that age that's about all I had the patience for, so that's kind of how I treated Deus Ex. I didn't have time for no drat skill systems or patiently upgrading augs as they came along. Not long after the first couple of levels, I got bored and cheated my way to the end with God mode and the highest skills in everything (which basically amounted to me running through at top aug speed with infinite health and the Dragon Tooth Sword) just to see what happened with the plot. I had never played a stealth game before and because you weren't forced to use stealth, I didn't really think about it as an option, and just played the game like it was a linear FPS.

I'm older and wiser now though, and having seen the err of my ways, plan to play the game through the way it was meant to be played. It was long enough ago that I don't exactly remember what happens in the middle, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 13, 2010

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

ArcMage posted:

Yeah I know, I don't like either of these bonuses and removing just one of them is even worse in my opinion.

And that is exactly my problem with shifter, it promotes specific styles of play. Where as the original doesnt give a crap about how you play, you get the same skillpoints no matter how you play. This is key to the whole "play it you way" principle which really is the best thing about Deus Ex.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Lordpen posted:

Yeah I know, I don't like either of these bonuses and removing just one of them is even worse in my opinion.

And that is exactly my problem with shifter, it promotes specific styles of play. Where as the original doesnt give a crap about how you play, you get the same skillpoints no matter how you play. This is key to the whole "play it you way" principle which really is the best thing about Deus Ex.

My mistake, for some reason I thought the original game gave bonus's for killing, but not for stealthing through the game, which shifter added.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lordpen posted:

So? The original offered bonus points for exploration - was that the "right" way to play?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Xander77 posted:

So? The original offered bonus points for exploration - was that the "right" way to play?

Seems to me like the only way to be truly encouraging of literally every style of play would be to reward every player exactly equally by giving a static amount of points to the player every time he completes an area that every player, regardless of playstyle, must complete in order to advance. By the time the game is beaten, every player should have been given an equal number of points.

In any "play your own way" game, points should be given for advancement, not how that advancement is accomplished.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Or you could simply make every plausible manner of completing an area have its own rewards / problems and more importantly, make every manner equally entertaining. In that case, the average player can play in the manner that he enjoys the most (its own reward) and people who wish to play through the game against can change the way in which they accomplish their objectives / go for the most "statistically optimal" way of doing so.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Good point, but I'd argue that those rewards are inherently different from shifter bonuses. Because the exploration bonuses aren't effected by how you find them. You could liken them to the side quests in the game, which give the same skill point reward no matter how the player finishes them.

Shifter for example gives you stealth bonuses depending on how close you sneak by enemies, this in a sense punishes the player that finds a clever way to sneak by enemies further away and in a more safe manner. I mean is it worse play to find a vent that lets you circumvent several enemies safely? Why should he get a greater reward for finishing the mission by sneaking up close to every enemy?

But in the end, if you enjoy the game more with shifter then of course use it. I just wouldnt suggest it for a first playthrough.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Or you could simply make every plausible manner of completing an area have its own rewards / problems and more importantly, make every manner equally entertaining. In that case, the average player can play in the manner that he enjoys the most (its own reward) and people who wish to play through the game against can change the way in which they accomplish their objectives / go for the most "statistically optimal" way of doing so.

That would be a lot more complicated though, requiring a ton of additional programming and balancing. The only thing a system like that would really be useful for is if every time you got XP, you wanted it to flash up on the screen to tell you how good you're doing.

If the goal is to reward every player equally, you really just need to find the thing every player will do no matter what and reward them for that. In this case, it's game advancement. If the plan is for every player to get rewarded as equally as possible anyway, why go through all the trouble of setting up all those independant triggers and checks and systems, which are all prone to error, when a simple area check would do that same job better for about 1/100th of the effort?

Also, every manner of completing the game is already entertaining. We don't need points for that. It's its own reward. When I sneak past a guard, I don't need to see increasing numbers to reward me. Successfully sneaking past another human is its own reward, just like blowing the guard's head off would be its own reward as well.

VVV I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 13, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I was specifically talking about rewards that don't depend on points.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm sorry, Fallout's gameplay is really clunky in this day and age, same with System Shock's shooting. They're considered classics because of things like writing, sound design, and the ability to tackle situations with a variety of different skills and character builds, but anybody who's mind isn't completely clouded by nostalgia would recognize the flaws in their gameplay and how it has been improved since. Trying to act smug about gameplay when Fallout's combat consisted 90% of the time standing around and targeting people's eyes and groin over and over is ridiculously counter-intuitive.

I played both Fallout and Deus Ex for the first time in 2007, and they were amazing. I really don't know what to say to anyone who can't stand to play a game that's more than a couple of years old.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Canadian Surf Club posted:

So just purchased this and downloaded the Steam version, and it seems to be running really fast.

Like conversations will skip to the next line before a character is finished speaking, and whenever I sprint and look at the ground I'm like the flash.

Any way of fixing this? Did some looking and it seems to be related either to power managing options (on a desktop) or multi-core (have a quad core system but set the deusex.exe affinity to one core and no change)

I used the fixer from the OP off the bat and turned everything on, including disabling throttling. Tried turning just the disable throttle off but same issue.

Don't disable throttling. Throttling in this case means causing your processor to run more slowly than it would normally. Turn throttling back on and see if that helps.

lesserworm posted:

I think Getwellgamers did a screenshot lp of Deus Ex as well. I remember liking that one a lot more. He abused the AI a lot which was entertaining. I can't find it anywhere though. If you have archives (I don't or else I would try and provide a link), you might be able to find it.

I don't think that LP was ever finished, and a lot of the images are sadly lost to time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

VVV I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Exactly what my previous post said. If every manner of playing is entertaining and provides its own reward, the exact balancing of rewards only means things to players who are obsessed enough with the game to play it through several times for the "optimal" results.

Norsu
Mar 16, 2010
You can have a small chat with JoJo if he kills both Rentons.

(Crappy sound I know.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsdQjD0Qyaw

Secret Secretions
Nov 5, 2009
I was playing through this obsessively on my old PC. I then spilled coffee on my keyboard and had my power strip die within a week of each other. I took it as a sign from gawd and stopped playing. It's not available for mac. :emo:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

I really don't know what to say to anyone who can't stand to play a game that's more than a couple of years old.

Except that's not what I said and is just a lovely strawman to avoid the point of my message? I never said "Hurr durr these graphics suck and this game's too complicated, games more than a couple years old are too much for my feeble contarded brain", I said that many old games that are put up on a pedestal have legitimate, deep-seated flaws that always get glossed-over by breathless hyperbole and clouded by nostalgia in threads like this, and that when said flaws get pointed out the knee-jerk reaction is posts like yours that dismiss all criticism as stupid people unable to see the brilliance of the game in question.

Of course, this is the Deus Ex thread and not the "Why aren't today's games as good as the games I played as a kid?" thread that pops up every month so this derail has gone on enough.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Except that's not what I said and is just a lovely strawman to avoid the point of my message? I never said "Hurr durr these graphics suck and this game's too complicated, games more than a couple years old are too much for my feeble contarded brain", I said that many old games that are put up on a pedestal have legitimate, deep-seated flaws that always get glossed-over by breathless hyperbole and clouded by nostalgia in threads like this, and that when said flaws get pointed out the knee-jerk reaction is posts like yours that dismiss all criticism as stupid people unable to see the brilliance of the game in question.

Of course, this is the Deus Ex thread and not the "Why aren't today's games as good as the games I played as a kid?" thread that pops up every month so this derail has gone on enough.

The part of my post that you didn't quote said "I played both Fallout and Deus Ex for the first time in 2007, and they were amazing," which was a response to your contention that people who love these games have minds "completely clouded by nostalgia." Someone used to newer games can still enjoy old ones.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

The part of my post that you didn't quote said "I played both Fallout and Deus Ex for the first time in 2007, and they were amazing," which was a response to your contention that people who love these games have minds "completely clouded by nostalgia." Someone used to newer games can still enjoy old ones.
I would definitely still love DX if I played it for the first time recently, but Fallout 2 was a little much. Maybe I'll try it again sometime as trying to take on the Rat King right away might have been that game's Liberty Island.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I can't go back to the Fallout games anymore. They hurt my eyes. Dunno what it is, I can still play other old brown 2d games like Diablo and Starcraft, but Fallout's just meh. I was never a real big fan of the gameplay, either, and once you've explored the game once there's not much in it, for me at least, to explore it again.

I've replayed Deus Ex over a dozen times, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I would definitely still love DX if I played it for the first time recently, but Fallout 2 was a little much. Maybe I'll try it again sometime as trying to take on the Rat King right away might have been that game's Liberty Island.

The Rat King's den sucked, but easily the worst part of either Fallout game is the Temple of Trials at the very beginning of FO2. Why they chose to open the game with a segment that showcases the absolute worst things about it is beyond me.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
How do weapon mods work in Deus Ex? If I mod a sniper rifle out the rear end and lose it, but pick up another sniper rifle, does it still have the mods? And how does this work with that whole 'regain your weapons from the armory' debacle? Is there a unique sniper rifle I should be on the lookout for that comes with the Shifter mod?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Le Sean posted:

How do weapon mods work in Deus Ex? If I mod a sniper rifle out the rear end and lose it, but pick up another sniper rifle, does it still have the mods? And how does this work with that whole 'regain your weapons from the armory' debacle? Is there a unique sniper rifle I should be on the lookout for that comes with the Shifter mod?

When you mod a weapon, that mod is on that particular weapon only. If you ditch that weapon and find another one later, it will be unmodded.

As for the part where you have to get all of your poo poo back from the armory, the game basically just takes everything you had in your inventory and stacks it on shelves. When you pick up your old rifle it will still have the modifications on it.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weapon mods are unique to a single weapon. The armor thing keeps your real inventory weapons, however it does lose your ammo and grenades (unless you have shifter in which case your grenade count is properly remembered. Ammo's still gone though). There are two unique sniper rifles in Shifter, but I can only recall where one is: Paris in a locked apartment building

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Le Sean posted:

Weapon mods are tied to the weapon, so don't lose your modded ones. Weapons taken back from the armory will retain their mods. If you're really worried about it, there's a glitch with that level you can take advantage of: the game actually copies your inventory to the armory and then removes the stuff you're carrying, so if you pause before your inventory gets cleared, you can clear it out and then pick it all back up once the inventory clearing is done. It ruins the experience of running through the base nearly unarmed, though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Shifter adds a unique sniper rifle that has a faster rate of fire. It's called the Precision Rifle, and you can find it in Paris, in a locked room on the rooftop you land on, IIRC.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

Weapon mods are unique to a single weapon. The armor thing keeps your real inventory weapons, however it does lose your ammo and grenades (unless you have shifter in which case your grenade count is properly remembered. Ammo's still gone though). There are two unique sniper rifles in Shifter, but I can only recall where one is: Paris in a locked apartment building

Are you sure? It's been a while since I last played, but I seem to recall that the game keeps track of your ammo independently of your inventory, so even if you throw away all of your guns you still have ammo.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As somebody who bought this game for the first time this year; then immediately played through it again (and is currently going through it a third time), I can say without any nostalgia that this is the best game I have ever played. Ever.
It has some serious flaws, no doubt about that, but the sum of all its parts is still superior to any other game I've ever played.

This is not specifically aimed at you, but rather at all the people saying that nostalgia is literally the only reason anybody would still enjoy this game in the age of HIGH-DEFINITION GRAPHIXXX.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Weedle posted:

Are you sure? It's been a while since I last played, but I seem to recall that the game keeps track of your ammo independently of your inventory, so even if you throw away all of your guns you still have ammo.
It's been a while since I played so it's possible I'm wrong, but I recall that scripted even emptying your ammo and there just being a ton extra laying in the armory. BRB, gonna go check and edit this post.

Edit: Huh, what do you know, they leave all your bullets on you when they lock you up.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Another thing to note is that if you take an unmodded weapon from that particular level and then pick up your modded one you will just get ammo for the unmodded weapon. Make sure you drop everything upon entering the armoury.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Bk. posted:

As somebody who bought this game for the first time this year; then immediately played through it again (and is currently going through it a third time)
This is pretty much my story. Only bought it last week and I'm already in Vandenburg in my second playthrough. Not sure I've ever done that with any game.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Shumagorath posted:

Another thing to note is that if you take an unmodded weapon from that particular level and then pick up your modded one you will just get ammo for the unmodded weapon. Make sure you drop everything upon entering the armoury.
I think you need a few more :siren: around this bit of information. :siren: Do not pick up a gun that wasn't yours! :siren: If you do, remember to drop it before you pick up YOUR gun from the armory, or it will just pick yours up as ammo for the unmodded one you had found.

Bk. posted:

This is not specifically aimed at you, but rather at all the people saying that nostalgia is literally the only reason anybody would still enjoy this game in the age of HIGH-DEFINITION GRAPHIXXX.
I don't think anybody is saying nostalgia is the ONLY reason ANYBODY still likes the game, I think they're saying nostalgia is one of the biggest reasons we claim that it's STILL one of the best games of all time (in its genre and neighbor genres). The truth is that nostalgia plays some part, but it is actually pretty minor, as evidence by several people posting here, including myself, who only recently played the game for the first time and still would agree it's about the best game we've ever played.

Now, say, my love of Descent is a different matter. THAT game is outdated in graphics, gameplay, technology and standards, and I love it so much because of intense nostalgia (and a sad lack of anything else in the 3D zero-G realm). Deus Ex legitimately has insanely good features that you rarely see anywhere else, like such open-ended gameplay and user-customization, real consequences for your actions and such. You play the game through in a different way and it's practically a different game.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The DX hud doesn't really look right in any resolution above 640x480 and I kinda figure that it ought to be good enough to just do a crisp encoding of that and watch in 480p for youtube.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Shumagorath posted:

This and "take the GEP gun" are the two most important things to tell people new who are to this game.

Also, there are 2 places where people will try to take your precious pistol, Gunther and Mr. Renton. For Gunther, you can just drop all your guns and give him a knife, and for Mr. Renton, drop your pistol somewhere safe in the hotel before you loot the baddies because they have pistols, so you can take one of their unmodded ones to give to Renton and go pick yours back up.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 13, 2010

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Real pros mod the stealth pistol anyway, forget the regular 10mm.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

The DX hud doesn't really look right in any resolution above 640x480 and I kinda figure that it ought to be good enough to just do a crisp encoding of that and watch in 480p for youtube.

This mod fixes the crappy UI scaling somewhat by making it shrink instead of blowing it up. Its still easily readable if you don't have lovely eyes, and it looks way better.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tanith posted:

This.

Also gently caress the GEP Gun, it's all about the Wrist Crossbow. That thing is badass. I do still love the fact that the first gun you can get in this game is a loving rocket launcher, though. Does anyone still play DX online? I remember actually having quite a bit of fun with this game in deathmatch... mainly of the stealth-around-and-lightsaber-people-in-the-back-of-the-head variety.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

So during those scripts I hand over my equipped weapon instead of the first 10mm pistol it finds? That's cool; I always had a spare sawed-off shotgun for Gilbert anyway.

I just run to the Underworld Tavern and grab Jordan Shea's sawed-off from behind the bar. With a sawed-off Gilbert always seems to win pretty quickly.

I didn't see this posted yet. Some of the stuff in the TNM chatlog came from this DX design document.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

Tanith posted:

10mm does more damage :) Not that it matters. Usually I play this game by running up to people and popping them in the head point blank. They usually don't start shooting until you're breathing on them