Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Deus Ex is the greatest goddamn game ever made. It is the pinnacle of human creation, and something we will be remembered for as a species.

More to come as games better than Deus Ex are made. (I.E.: Never)

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Big Ol' F.A.Q.:

I've never played Deus Ex! What is it?:
Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in the year 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role playing games. It proves that Games are art. Or at the least one of them is.

I am an uncultured dullard and don't have it. Where can I buy it?:
Steam for only $6.99! You need this game if you are to be respected as a person.

I am literally a toddler and can't play anything made before my birth year (2009) are there any game play/ graphical mods?:
Deus Ex needs no mods. Or fixes. It's already beautiful. Although The Deus Ex Fixer is pretty much required for any system made after 1999. It should solve any resolution or speed problems related to CPU, or MultiCore processors. Don't forget to install the DX10 update too!
As for graphical overhaul mods, You're in luck! New Vision has recently been released, and upgrades 75% of the games textures. It's not going to be looking like Crysis or whatever, but it looks pretty good.
Other mods like Biomod or Shifter "improve" the game, and are fun for a second run through, but probably shouldn't be used for a first run through. The changes they do make are great though.

I have zero self confidence and the thought of a choice causes me to poo poo my pants in fear, do you have any tips/tricks?:
Use whatever you think is necessary. You can't gently caress yourself over, and its impossible to get stuck. Deus Ex is even better when you discover poo poo on your own. Some skills are more useful then others, but they all serve a purpose, even if its kinda niche.
That being said, on Liberty Island, just pick the GEP gun.

This game is loving terrible im stuck on the statue of liberty im also barely functional mentally!!:
Shut the gently caress up and keep going. A lot of people hate Liberty Island for some insane reason, but if you're one of these weirdos, keep in mind the game improves ten fold shortly.

Videos:
Child Murder!
Hitting on ladies!
Murder-Suicide!
Police Brutality!
Celebrity Cameos!
I don't know what the gently caress.
Mega64 making art.

List o' Mods:
Deus Ex Fixer If you are playing on any system made past 1999, USE THIS. EVEN IF ITS YOUR FIRST RUNTHROUGH! Like I said, it It should solve any resolution or speed problems related to CPU, MultiCore processors, DX10, everything. (Thanks to the Supreme Court)
Biomod - Goon made Deus Ex mod. If you're gonna go through Deus Ex again, do it with this on. It actually adds to the game without completely making GBS threads on it like most "improvement" mods do. (Thanks, Lork!)
Shifter - Good ol' Shifter is still an option if you don't like the Biomod changes (whats wrong with you???). Keep in mind, Biomod includes Shifter. You don't need both.
The Nameless Mod - Complete total Converstion mod for Deus Ex. New Voice Acting, textures, story, the whole shabang. It's based on an Internet Forum, which is loving dumb, and it does have stupid memes and in-jokes. But for the most part it's suppose to be pretty good!

Other Stuff
DX Postmortem Interesting postmortem written by Mr. Warren Spector himself. Mentions a bunch of things that got cut (White House, JC Denton on the Moon).
Sunglasses at Night Walkthrough/pseudo-Let's-Play that showbases a bunch of crazy ways to go through Deus Ex.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 19, 2013

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
OH MY GOD BASIC BEATER, A BOMB!!!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

OH MY GOD BASIC BEATER, A BOMB!!!

A BOMB!

Edit: gently caress you, this is for serious discussion of Deus Ex.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

Basic Beater posted:

A BOMB!

Edit: gently caress you, this is for serious discussion of Deus Ex.

I'm serious, there's a loving bomb dude.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

I never played Deus Ex! :ohdear:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

I'm serious, there's a loving bomb dude.

Yeah, this thread is the bomb. :c00lbert:

Farmyard Agency posted:

I never played Deus Ex! :ohdear:

The game can be purchased for a reasonable price ($10) on Steam. :)

Mur4d
Dec 25, 2007

Family SlenderGuy, amirite?
:roflolmao:

quote:

The game can be purchased for a reasonable price ($10) on Steam. :)

Are you Gaben?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Actually, since this thread exists, I was going to play Deus Ex again and actually finish it this time (I think I got to China, or France maybe.)

I was wondering what the best graphical enhancement mods to use would be, and also if there were any good mods that affect gameplay in a positive way or add more content (weapons, etc).

TIA

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Basic Beater posted:

Deus Ex is the greatest goddamn game ever made. It is the pinnacle of human creation, and something we will be remembered for as a species.

More to come as games better than Deus Ex are made. (I.E.: Never)

Eh, it's alright.

It started out nice, but "everything ever is a conspiracy" got silly after a while and the stellar level design in the first few levels where each approach was equally good fell into one option being overwhelmingly better than others (like how a stealth approach for the research labs literally bypassed half the level, while the other approach was to fight your way through about 20 or so guards at awkward angles).

The scheme for leveling is messed up too. Lockpicking and multitools are way too expensive while other skills are completely useless to level up at all or more than once. Shooting feels generally unsatisfying (the guns are all pretty terrible and enemy AI is hilariously awful) and the stealth gameplay is good but nothing stellar.

Basically Deus Ex is a game that does a lot of things right but doesn't really do anything that stands out besides having really corny voice acting. But it's only 10 bucks and it's still worth playing so buy it anyway.

Also you can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVI_UoEYRc

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I remember running Deus Ex with a configurator that fixed the resolution, if anyone has this, post it and I'll link it in the list.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Quote != Edit

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Conversation with Morpheus was literally the best writing in a videogame ever.

"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

"You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands."

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
I SPEEL my DREENK!

EDIT: Beer is 15! Wine is 120!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

(I have never beaten deus ex, I just got past the underwater base things)

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I only played the first level & it sucked

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Does no one read my FAQ? :smith:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Captain Novolin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

(I have never beaten deus ex, I just got past the underwater base things)

Hahaha I just realized that JC does a loving shoulder shrug when he says "what a rotten way to die". He literally gives no gently caress.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sprite Based posted:

I SPEEL my DREENK!

EDIT: Beer is 15! Wine is 120!

What drink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

lil sartre posted:

I only played the first level & it sucked

Liberty Island is the best level in the game (as long as you ignore the fact that UNATCO HQ is like right next to it for some reason). It's the only area where the level design philosophy of having multiple ways to go about the mission actually works where every method has its own strengths and weaknesses (as opposed to "fight five dudes"/"take this convenient vent and not fight five dudes, no skill required!").

Basic Beater posted:

What a shame.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 9, 2011

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Deus Ex is awesome, fun as hell, and the only game I re-play, like, yearly.

That said, like pretty much every game made in the late 90s (when PC gaming was at its best because I was 12) there is a lot of ridiculous hyperbole around it. The default control scheme is goofy as hell, a lot of the skills and augs are worthless and your first time around you will feel bad about investing in a lot of them, the difficulty becomes non-existent once you get the regeneration aug, the voice-acting is terrible, and the last third of the game a lot of the openness and freedom vanishes because its obvious they ran out of time; Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong are both sprawling metropolises with many missions and side-missions that you visit for hours, Paris has two houses you can break into and you leave after an hour.

For all the bragging about player choice the fact remains that as far as the actual plot goes there's no real effect on the main plot; you have to defect to help Paul no matter what, whether Paul lives or dies effects about a paragraph of dialogue, and aside from little things like the killswitches for Gunther and Anna your choices often just boil down to extra loot at the end of the level. There are three endings, and which one you get is based entirely on which objective you complete on the final map.

That said, Deus Es is a great game that came along at the right place and time and did something that probably won't be done quite the same way again. It's a brilliant FPS/RPG that focused so much on being its own little world and is so packed full of content you'll find new things on your 10th playthrough. There really is no "wrong" way to play it, everything from sniping to heavy weapons to stealth is perfectly viable and fun. Everybody should play it at least once, just to experience it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jocks a dick, you bring him some liquor and hes like "No, thats warm"

What the gently caress do you want, a chilled Zima? Get The gently caress Out Of Here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

What the gently caress do you want, a chilled Zima? Get The gently caress Out Of Here.

Just because you don't have any standards and eat chips you found a trash can doesn't mean Jock is the same way. He's got his own kickin' rad copter.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yea but pretty much all liquors are served room temperature, is what im getting at.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea but pretty much all liquors are served room temperature, is what im getting at.

Look at this little girl that doesn't drink vodka. Maybe you need to pump some points into your constitution stat, buddy.

Edit: I don't know if Deus Ex has a constitution stat, I never played it, but if it doesn't pretend I said whatever stat is most appropiate tia.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch

Basic Beater posted:

I can tell them you are a spy, and they will kill you.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Eh, it's alright.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's one of the few games I would consider to be really, legitimately good.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Sprite Based posted:

I can tell them you are a spy, and they will kill you.

I don't like the cut of this kids fuckin' jib.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving love this game. I can't get past the final level, so I'm just doing another playthrough. I love how you can kill certain soldiers and then Joseph will comment on it.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

Jock never accepts the first beer I give him. It doesn't matter if I picked up a beer that was lying around or if I got it straight from the bartender. I don't mind though because he's badass.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Stuntman posted:

loving love this game. I can't get past the final level, so I'm just doing another playthrough. I love how you can kill certain soldiers and then Joseph will comment on it.
We're opening an investigation.

deus ex owns, goty 2010

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
The HDTP team is a joke.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So is there a co-op mod for this yet?

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad

jonjonaug posted:

What drink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

I prefer my version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBzmHLZ4dUk

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Basic Beater posted:

I remember running Deus Ex with a configurator that fixed the resolution, if anyone has this, post it and I'll link it in the list.

This: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

It's awesome. Also, what about all the different ways of playing through? e.g. a nonlethal way and all that jazz.

kotau
Mar 21, 2003

Whatever is not forbidden is compulsory.
Use a fire extinguisher on the beer you give to Jock. He's your goddamn pilot, treat him well.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kotau posted:

Use a fire extinguisher on the beer you give to Jock. He's your goddamn pilot, treat him well.
Does that actually work? I've heard that it does, and I've heard that it doesn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I like how one of the newspapers you can find just before the end of the game describes how America is just collapsing into riots and Governors are refusing to obey FEMA and the head of the Joint Chiefs gets sacked for refusing to order troops to fire on civilians and the Secretary of Defence resigns and it's all just going to hell.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad

Le Sean posted:

I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Install the Nameless Mod.