Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You don't even need the pistol once you slap some augs that make your melee attacks stronger. Just punch everyone with your baton, including robots.

Basically this. Get the strength aug so you can be good at punching dudes, get the emp aug so you can be good at punching robots, and then just go punch everything in the face. So satisfying laying people out in a single punch, or using the stealth aug to sneak up on huge mechs and punch them in the feet to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And get the speed aug so you can cross rooms in half a second to punch dudes.

I'll be honest, IW managed to make "you're an augmented cyberpunk badass" work a lot better than Deus Ex did, even if it only works in one very specific way.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

How well do guns work in IW? I remember trying them a long time ago, but I think I gave up on them and swapped to the baton because you couldn't hold enough ammo for long term use and the guns felt pretty poo poo to use. Is there some sort of ammo managing trick so I'm not at like half of my max ammo after a large fire fight?

The trick is to mod the game so it's more fun.

I'm actually being serious, I remember I tweaked a bunch of settings on my first run to make the pistol an actual headshot weapon and lower the consumption of heavier weapons to make them actually usable (so that if you use them you're not without ammo for the weaker weapons). Made the game a lot more bearable.

I'd give you a link to the tool or method I used to do this, but it's been so long. :( I do know that I started off with using DXTool, but then had to manually edit a bunch of files to get it just right for me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tecman posted:

I'm actually being serious, I remember I tweaked a bunch of settings on my first run to make the pistol an actual headshot weapon and lower the consumption of heavier weapons to make them actually usable (so that if you use them you're not without ammo for the weaker weapons). Made the game a lot more bearable.

I'd give you a link to the tool or method I used to do this, but it's been so long. :( I do know that I started off with using DXTool, but then had to manually edit a bunch of files to get it just right for me.

You can do most of the mods with a text editor, if memory serves.

Just need to find the right file.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tecman posted:

You can actually mod the gameplay? poo poo, I thought all you could do was .ini tweaks and replace textures. I'd love to really cut the ammo consumption each gun uses because that was my major complaint with the guns in this game.

Also, I've already done like two super baton runs. I've never really given the guns a chance because of how shite they felt to me. :v:

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok I just had something very very very bizarre happen and I have no idea why it did it. So I got new vision installed, everything going fine, and as I play through the game I revalidate a few files this morning with a couple files always having to be reacquired but save and quit no problem. I pop back in this evening to play some more and the first thing that comes out as wrong is it gives me the default Steam launcher tool and the 'first time setup' screen picking between how to render the game instead of the new vision menu and the panel thing that comes with it. I decide to go in and lo' and behold all my save files are gone and everything is missing. I checked around and everything deus ex related has moved to another section of my computer under users/documents. I move four files back into the steamapps directory including the save folder, cache, system, and for some reason a users folder and it still gives me the 'first time launching' window.

Basically, new vision has stopped working completely but for some reason an uninstall new vision icon is in the steamapps folder. I have no clue what on earth went wrong.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok I just had something very very very bizarre happen and I have no idea why it did it. So I got new vision installed, everything going fine, and as I play through the game I revalidate a few files this morning with a couple files always having to be reacquired but save and quit no problem. I pop back in this evening to play some more and the first thing that comes out as wrong is it gives me the default Steam launcher tool and the 'first time setup' screen picking between how to render the game instead of the new vision menu and the panel thing that comes with it. I decide to go in and lo' and behold all my save files are gone and everything is missing. I checked around and everything deus ex related has moved to another section of my computer under users/documents. I move four files back into the steamapps directory including the save folder, cache, system, and for some reason a users folder and it still gives me the 'first time launching' window.

Basically, new vision has stopped working completely but for some reason an uninstall new vision icon is in the steamapps folder. I have no clue what on earth went wrong.

You validated the files, that's what went wrong. Previously you had been playing using the Kentie Deus Exe launcher which replaces regular deusex.exe in \system\-folder. It saves your settings to my documents instead of the game's own folder. After validations, you have replaced the launcher with original exe which looks for saved information from the game folder.

Set the game not to download/validate files and redownload Kentie launcher from http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/#deusexe

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Yeah, that was one of my theories too. The game was having some hiccups so I thought that'd fix it. But I just had to redownload the new vision mod with the built in launcher and everything is right as rain again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lo, many years and many pages ago, someone asked "what happens when you tell the NG resonance hologram what you did to the real deal?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4VxZAkkdI

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And get the speed aug so you can cross rooms in half a second to punch dudes.

I'll be honest, IW managed to make "you're an augmented cyberpunk badass" work a lot better than Deus Ex did, even if it only works in one very specific way.

Super melee is the best way to play IW. There was a lot wrong with that game, but god punching the gently caress out of things was so satisfying.

If there's one thing I'd add to HR it would have been a melee attack button.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

CowboyAndy posted:

You know Adam can't just punch someone without his handy dandy protein bar!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Who needs protein bars when you've got fresh jams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

:slick:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

Super melee is the best way to play IW. There was a lot wrong with that game, but god punching the gently caress out of things was so satisfying.

Circle-strafing giant-rear end dog robots with a baton never gets old.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Talking 'bout the drink, right? Eh heh heh heh.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

I played through DX:HR once when it came out, totally non-lethal, so this is my first time seeing those murder animations. Good heavens!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I played through DX:HR once when it came out, totally non-lethal, so this is my first time seeing those murder animations. Good heavens!

It's really impressive that they made so many animations for the two-person takedowns, considering that it's an optional perk and on top of that you'll probably only have a few opportunities to use it over the course of the game.

Also every drink in that club has its own unique inventory icon and description:

Shanghai Gut Punch posted:

Three measures 180-proof alcohol, a pinch of lotus pollen, and a drop of red food dye No. 40. The Shanghai Gut Punch... about as subtle as its name implies.

Golden Phoenix Sling posted:

Burnt out after a long day? Throw back a couple of Golden Phoenix Slings and you'll feel reborn. Ginsing extract, cough syrup, and a healthy dose of Saké kissed with Tequila (and some other things we'd rather not divulge). Just say "Sling Me!"

Slum Dog posted:

Had a rough night? Why not have a little hair of the Slum Dog that bit you? Half rum, half vodka, half beer. Remember -- if it smells like a dog, and tastes like a dog, it's probably a Slum Dog.

Deus Ex is stil Game of the Year Every Year but Human Revolution was so good. Even if they did mix up the inventory icons on the drinks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
HR was about as worthy a successor to the original as you can get. Very interested in seeing a next gen follow-up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For me it lacked a certain something in the level design, I can't quite put my finger on it. All I know is, the level designers in The Nameless Mod knew exactly how to make classic Deus Ex levels. The level design and actual gameplay is just utterly brilliant. They even let you non-lethally takedown every encounter, and even kill plot sensitive people. It's a shame about basically every other aspect of it. And the absolute worst part about it is that the first hour or two is just so terrible, which means very few people figured out that it was secretly excellent.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 15, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

For me it lacked a certain something in the level design, I can't quite put my finger on it.

In the commentary they talk a lot about how console limitations effected the game, like how they struggled to make The Hive feel alive and populated and like a real club when they could only have a dozen-odd NPCS. When you consider that they had to develop for a console that was over half a decade old and only had 512 megabytes of RAM it's pretty impressive that they managed to have levels that were as open and branching as they are, even if they're nowhere near as massive as Deus Ex's.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

For me it lacked a certain something in the level design, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Possibly the fact that for every single level, they designed it, then realised they need a non-confrontational way to solve the level, and so added a single ventilation shaft leading from somewhere near the beginning directly to somewhere near the end? And these are the only ventilation shafts that ever exist? That becomes glaringly obvious when you're going for certain achievements.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

When you consider that they had to develop for a console that was over half a decade old and only had 512 megabytes of RAM it's pretty impressive that they managed to have levels that were as open and branching as they are, even if they're nowhere near as massive as Deus Ex's.

They put Deus Ex on the PS2 so they have no excuse. :colbert:

Believe it or not some of the PS2 additions were actually pretty neat. The levels were just slightly different enough to keep you on your toes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
HR's not perfect but you really have to give Eidos Montreal credit for making a game that's worthy enough to be a sequel to Deus Ex in an industry climate that would like nothing better than just water it down completely. I would really love them to improve on HR with a fourth game, but Square are bunch of morons that are dragging Eidos down due to their own failures.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

qntm posted:

Possibly the fact that for every single level, they designed it, then realised they need a non-confrontational way to solve the level, and so added a single ventilation shaft leading from somewhere near the beginning directly to somewhere near the end? And these are the only ventilation shafts that ever exist? That becomes glaringly obvious when you're going for certain achievements.

I think Detroid and its missions have a good number of different approaches and secrets (I've played through Human Revolution three times and I still find new hidden caches in Derelict Row) and areas like Sarif HQ and the Detroit PD have lots of ventilation ducts to explore. It's around Hengsha that they started running out of time and money and the seams start to show with things like just finding the keycard to Tai Yong Medical in a hotel room because they had to cut the level where you sneak into an office and steal it, and then by Canada it's all linear corridors and single convenient air ducts without a hub to break things up and then I lose interest on my replay and give up long before I reach The Hyron Project.

Not that Deus Ex didn't grow more linear and less open and stop acknowledging you being nonlethal as you went along, but even later in the game you still had rad open levels like Vandenberg and memorable little scenarios like the Du Clare mansion or the abandoned gas station that shook things up.

They put Deus Ex on the PS2 so they have no excuse. :colbert:

The PS2 port was almost two years after the game original came out and Deus Ex wasn't an amazing-looking or resource-intensive game to begin with (to the point where in an age where PC games requiring annual hardware upgrades were the norm it could run on a three year old PowerVR card), and even then they had to break Liberty Island into almost half a dozen maps using stacks of shipping crates and a ticket booth at the dock to corral the player. I'm sure we could have had huge levels in Human Revolution if they didn't have to compete graphically with other AAA games but sadly that's the reality of modern day game development.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Any idea why the regular edition of DE:HR on steam has a Russian version while the Director's Cut doesn't? (Particularly since they're 99.9% the same game)

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

For me it lacked a certain something in the level design, I can't quite put my finger on it. All I know is, the level designers in The Nameless Mod knew exactly how to make classic Deus Ex levels. The level design and actual gameplay is just utterly brilliant. They even let you non-lethally takedown every encounter, and even kill plot sensitive people. It's a shame about basically every other aspect of it. And the absolute worst part about it is that the first hour or two is just so terrible, which means very few people figured out that it was secretly excellent.
I don't know, after the first quarter or so, it seemed like every single door, cupboard or drawer I came across had infinite health and was either unhackable or unpickable, which feels like completely missing the point of Deus Ex to me. It was still fun of course, but it made me appreciate the thought and care that went into the original game a little more.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

qntm posted:

Now to be fair, it's not like the original DX didn't have this problem as well. The non-lethal routes in the helipad and the MJ12 lab in Hong Kong were basically air vents that let your circumvent the guards. I think the rocket base had a bit of vent abuse as well, but it's been a while since I've played DX1. There were some clever alternate routes in DX1, like all the ways you could reach Maggie Chow's apartment, but every level wasn't like Liberty Island.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I always killed myself in the air vents when I tried to save the hostages in the subway. Because I'm a bad player. Usually blew myself up with a LAM.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You are not truly a man until you can rescue all the hostages and non-lethally subdue the entirety of the subway station. You really feel like Batman when you pull it off.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Or the Green Arrow with how simple it becomes if you just hide in the vent and dart people.

I think the biggest problem in HR's level design was how cramped everything felt. I never really tried the sniper rifle at all because it seemed like guards were constantly brushing up against each other without enough time to really get around and flee/clean up the scene before someone would stumble over a corpse. The flaws in HR level design versus the original seem to have a lot of examples that both share at different times and places - highly convienient 'win the map' ducts, slowly shutting down the varied approaches, etc - but the map sizes were pretty consistently huge and spacious in OG DE.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I wish gas grenades were a bit more common, and toxic immunity a bit more useful in general so that lobbing a bunch of grenades into a room and batoning everybody in it becomes a viable tactic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WendyO posted:

Or the Green Arrow with how simple it becomes if you just hide in the vent and dart people.

I think the biggest problem in HR's level design was how cramped everything felt. I never really tried the sniper rifle at all because it seemed like guards were constantly brushing up against each other without enough time to really get around and flee/clean up the scene before someone would stumble over a corpse. The flaws in HR level design versus the original seem to have a lot of examples that both share at different times and places - highly convienient 'win the map' ducts, slowly shutting down the varied approaches, etc - but the map sizes were pretty consistently huge and spacious in OG DE.

I think both of these problems happened because of a lack of real vertical space compared to the first Deus Ex. The sniper rifles especially, I think the only time I never used one is the tranquilizer type if you take the roof approach to the very first mission. There's a lot of "vertical" space throughout Hengsha but the streets are too cramped for it to really matter, the rooftops and the ground level may as well be too different universes. Detroit is fairly uninteresting too explore too personally. I love the game overall but you can really see where they were running out of time and money. If they do another I hope an area as in depth as Wan Chai/Tonnotchi Road/the canals in DX1.

It's kind of frustrating that the two hub areas that got caught had the potential to be the most interesting since they would have been relatively devoid of office spaces.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I replayed the Director's cut recently and I agree with everybody's points, but the good points of the game really over shadow the flaws. It just feels like a miracle the game even got made (let alone turn out as good as it did) but it just proves that the genre is too difficult to pull off since we haven't gotten anything else like it (apart from the Fall I guess, but that's a phone game so it's hardly comparable) They ran out of time but apart from the ending and the hub re-use (which I don't mind, revisiting old locations is cool but let's not deny it's also a big money/time saving move) there's very little that feels phoned in.

I think the only real problem I had with it was that for lethal playthroughs, you got a mountain of guns and just like the original you only really need the pistol (The rocket launcher was just too huge to take anywhere, unlike the original's GEP gun which was pretty much the loving swiss army knife of guns)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

It's too bad you can't put chokes or something in the double barreled shotgun. I want to clean up the streets like an augmented Omar :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gunther comin'!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xander77 posted:

Any idea why the regular edition of DE:HR on steam has a Russian version while the Director's Cut doesn't? (Particularly since they're 99.9% the same game)

If I had to guess, I would think it had something to do with the commentary (or lack thereof) for the Russian language.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

I replayed the Director's cut recently and I agree with everybody's points, but the good points of the game really over shadow the flaws. It just feels like a miracle the game even got made (let alone turn out as good as it did) but it just proves that the genre is too difficult to pull off since we haven't gotten anything else like it (apart from the Fall I guess, but that's a phone game so it's hardly comparable) They ran out of time but apart from the ending and the hub re-use (which I don't mind, revisiting old locations is cool but let's not deny it's also a big money/time saving move) there's very little that feels phoned in.

I think the only real problem I had with it was that for lethal playthroughs, you got a mountain of guns and just like the original you only really need the pistol (The rocket launcher was just too huge to take anywhere, unlike the original's GEP gun which was pretty much the loving swiss army knife of guns)

I found that the game gave you way too little ammo to consider a lethal playthrough with anything except the 10mm Pistol, and that's only because 10mm headshots were powerful enough to compensate for the lack of ammo. In DX1, you had enough ammo for the important weapons to carry you throughout the entire game. The only important weapon who's ammo gets rarer as the game goes on, the 10mm pistol, didn't have it's ammo get as low as your average weapon in HR.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Hmm, not sure if I agree completely since I literally had like 3 entire boxes of Heavy rifle ammo by the time I went back to Hengshai. It was pistol ammo that started getting thin on the ground, but maybe there's a built in ammo-spawning system or something. Also the plasma-rifle's inclusion seemed entirely pointless, since you pretty much could only use it on near-defenseless targets.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jblade posted:

It just feels like a miracle the game even got made (let alone turn out as good as it did) but it just proves that the genre is too difficult to pull off since we haven't gotten anything else like it.

Depends on what you mean by "genre", but as far as first-person stealth/combat multiple pathways RPG action hybrids go, Dishonored really carried the Looking Glass torch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
All I know is that they better be making a second dishonored cause that game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Dishonored was the first game in a long time that gave me that Deus Ex feeling.