Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Carrying an unconscious guy through the game for a laugh is fine but worrying about what would "really" happen to a character if you left them in a certain place seems a little bit weird.
This is why you have to take the Helios ending, because it's the only way to control every variable and finally defeat death forever. Nobody dies, they just get put into cryogenic stasis. Immortality is mandatory. This is the Denton utopia: the most silent takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

Carrying an unconscious guy through the game for a laugh is fine but worrying about what would "really" happen to a character if you left them in a certain place seems a little bit weird.

If you're specifically talking about the posts further up on the previous page, I think you missed the point/joke.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Once Denton escapes UNATCO I picture him turning into a homicidal maniac anyway. Everything he has ever known is wrong.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Once Denton escapes UNATCO I picture him turning into a homicidal maniac anyway. Everything he has ever known is wrong.

I think that's what the game is built around anyways. Once you escape, the game never references you going non-lethal again and ammo for non-lethal weapons seems to dry up significantly, to the point where pepper spray ammo straight-up disappears forever after beating Hong Kong.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
hi Deus Ex thread,

I have a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and just installed Deus Ex GOTY fresh from Steam.

I installed New Vision, HDTP, Shifter, and Deus Ex Enhanced and Kentie's launcher, along with the DX10 renderer.

With the DX10 renderer enabled, any time I click the mouse, the game minimizes.

With DX9, it is fine.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dunno the solution to your problem, but you should use biomod instead of Shifter. It's the continuation of that project.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I dunno the solution to your problem, but you should use biomod instead of Shifter. It's the continuation of that project.

Sort of, it makes changes that Shifter does not.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, every time I played the game I'd go nonlethal on the NSF and Unatco troops, but MJ12 dudes are fair game. Shouldn't have signed up with an evil world controlling organization if you didn't want a blast of buckshot to the face, pal!

The exception would be the MIB and WIBs, sometimes at least, 'cause they drop some neat stuff sometimes when you manage to make 'em not explode.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

M.Ciaster posted:

Yeah, every time I played the game I'd go nonlethal on the NSF and Unatco troops, but MJ12 dudes are fair game. Shouldn't have signed up with an evil world controlling organization if you didn't want a blast of buckshot to the face, pal!

The exception would be the MIB and WIBs, sometimes at least, 'cause they drop some neat stuff sometimes when you manage to make 'em not explode.

Ditto here, except with the MIBs get taken down nonlethally, looted then chopped to bits with the dragons tooth.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gyshall posted:

That plus I figure that since you've drawn the ire of a massive global conspiracy they're going to be surreptitiously eliminating everything even vaguely related to Denton that could threaten them. So even if Denton doesn't do the deed himself simply by talking to people he's signing their death warrants.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sort of, it makes changes that Shifter does not.

I really wish Shifter let you toggle individual changes, because I love everything about it except for the way that it nerfs jump height in the name of balancing the Athletics skill and mantling. Yet if you use the version before that was implemented then you miss out on future changes like the random incendiary grenades.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That plus I figure that since you've drawn the ire of a massive global conspiracy they're going to be surreptitiously eliminating everything even vaguely related to Denton that could threaten them. So even if Denton doesn't do the deed himself simply by talking to people he's signing their death warrants.

:stare:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
[WALTON SIMONS reviews security footage of JC Denton in Hong Kong, looking for possible secret signals to members of the conspiracy and trying to determine which targets are high-value enough to warrant assassination. SIMONS watches JC Denton argue about philosophy with a bartender, throw his entire inventory of wine bottles at a Russian sailor, then use a sword to bust through a wall like the Kool-Aid man and dance on top of the table in the middle of a Triad meeting before climbing out of the building on a ladder made of grenades.]

SIMONS: ...gently caress it, just kill them all. :ughh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I don't think it is a Biomod/Shifter problem. I think it is something weird with the DX10 renderer, which sucks because I like it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Didn't really do much since the game took about a week's time.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Gyshall posted:

I don't think it is a Biomod/Shifter problem. I think it is something weird with the DX10 renderer, which sucks because I like it.

Take a look of the log file which is created in my documents\deus ex\system IIRC, if it sheds a light. I have 2-in-1 laptop/tablet(Transformer T100 refresh) which is a tad slow for all the bells and whistles but still works and I have everything else except Deus Ex Enhanced installed and the game works fine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I fixed the problem.

I was running the HDTP and New Vision installers, which mucked some things up somehow. I ended up extracting HDTP, New Vision, and installing manually, then installing Deus Exe and the renderer and all was fine.

e: Also I'm trying out this compilation mod on this run:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unified-deus-ex

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like how in Paris, Tracer Tong is so drat eager to talk about random minute details about it. He just wants to relive or experience France via JC's shenanigans and can't wait to tell you about all the cool stuff he knows about it. :unsmith:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I fixed the problem.

I was running the HDTP and New Vision installers, which mucked some things up somehow. I ended up extracting HDTP, New Vision, and installing manually, then installing Deus Exe and the renderer and all was fine.

e: Also I'm trying out this compilation mod on this run:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unified-deus-ex

Have you started a run with Unified Deus Ex yet? Is it worth taking a look at?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently retina displays confuse the gently caress out of Deus Ex. Gonna have to find a different way to play.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 8, 2014

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

Paul Denton is useless.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I used the map. :(
Also you can kite everything back to him and he will destroy everything for you. :3:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

closeted republican posted:

I like how in Paris, Tracer Tong is so drat eager to talk about random minute details about it. He just wants to relive or experience France via JC's shenanigans and can't wait to tell you about all the cool stuff he knows about it. :unsmith:

"Have a taste of wine for me, JC!"

I was compelled to collect every bottle and chug them on the spot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also you can kite everything back to him and he will destroy everything for you. :3:
The bot will.

Instead, you should kite him to everything.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

horse mans posted:

Have you started a run with Unified Deus Ex yet? Is it worth taking a look at?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently retina displays confuse the gently caress out of Deus Ex. Gonna have to find a different way to play.

Yeah took a bit to get set up but it works just fine. Just be sure to follow the read me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody tried this GMDX mod out? Eidos Montreal tweeted about its latest version today. I'm all for fan modding but as we've seen, mods that claim to improve balance or design and actually succeed at doing so are the exception rather than the rule. I've been thinking of replaying DX and a new mod might make things a bit more fresh, but I didn't know if this one was a good one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody tried this GMDX mod out? Eidos Montreal tweeted about its latest version today. I'm all for fan modding but as we've seen, mods that claim to improve balance or design and actually succeed at doing so are the exception rather than the rule. I've been thinking of replaying DX and a new mod might make things a bit more fresh, but I didn't know if this one was a good one.

Thanks for mentioning this, because I'd never heard of it. I was looking for a reason to replay Deus Ex and this might be it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is there an option not to send the broadcast? I just played through that mission earlier, and there really isn't much backing up Paul's claims. And what there is doesn't really amount to enough that I can see JC willingly warning the NSF to go into hiding. Even with Anna and Gunther being a bit dickish, Manderley taking bribes doesn't really turn that from "I am a loyal UNATCO man" to "I will help these terrorists.".

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Is there an option not to send the broadcast? I just played through that mission earlier, and there really isn't much backing up Paul's claims. And what there is doesn't really amount to enough that I can see JC willingly warning the NSF to go into hiding. Even with Anna and Gunther being a bit dickish, Manderley taking bribes doesn't really turn that from "I am a loyal UNATCO man" to "I will help these terrorists.".

Nope, you have to betray unatco.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Thanks for mentioning this, because I'd never heard of it. I was looking for a reason to replay Deus Ex and this might be it.

Seriously. This is what I'm going to try on my next playthru.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rookersh posted:

This always kind of bugged me, but it's basically a major turning point in the plot, far more important than just about any other. It'd be nice if they'd let you side with UNATCO against Paul, but the entire rest of the game would be different to an extent that virtually no game designers are going to want to accommodate. And when it gets half-assed, well, play Invisible War to find out how that goes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm playing the GMDX mod. Here are my first impressions.

-Goddamn these HDTP character models are all ugly as gently caress. I'm tempted to keep them on just see how lovely it gets. You can toggle them on or off at any time on the fly so it's not a dealbreaker.

-The items I collect on the starting docks as ritual upon starting a Deus Ex game weren't there

-Cool new gunshot sounds

-Everyone can see me from a loving mile away. All of my "stealth" tactics are completely out the window. For now.

-I stumbled upon a new trap that I missed because I was so comfortable with Liberty Island before. Touche mod.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Everybody here probably already knows this but the original plan was to include a path that involved sticking with UNATCO / supporting MJ12.

Given the amount of content that usually gets cut in big game development (see: the DX:HR dev commentary, which mentions at least three large hub areas that were cut) it's really impressive that DX is as huge as it is, and contains so much reactivity for so long before zeroing in on a single path.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

This always kind of bugged me, but it's basically a major turning point in the plot, far more important than just about any other. It'd be nice if they'd let you side with UNATCO against Paul, but the entire rest of the game would be different to an extent that virtually no game designers are going to want to accommodate. And when it gets half-assed, well, play Invisible War to find out how that goes.

I don't really care about a UNATCO path ( because hey it's obvious what story they wanted to tell ), they just could have handled it better? Like have Simmons realize you even just talked to Paul at all and activated your killswitch because of that, which would have switched it from "Go help the terrorists police man. Oh no you got caught." to "WHAT THE gently caress ARE THESE PEOPLE! How/why did they kill me just because I wanted to say goodbye to my brother? Something is up!".

I'm mainly just annoyed that even if you go fully nonlethal/check every email, the game doesn't provide any sort of incentive to betray the Coalition to support a bunch of people who are outright terrorists/gangbangers to you. At this point you still haven't realized that the Statue was blown up by UNATCO/most of the stuff attributed to them was done by MJ12, so it's a bit strange that JC was so willing to join them.

If finding the bribe notes/talking to Paul set off Simmons though, fine, I'll send the broadcast now because I guess I need their help to survive/something IS going on.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Everybody here probably already knows this but the original plan was to include a path that involved sticking with UNATCO / supporting MJ12.

Given the amount of content that usually gets cut in big game development (see: the DX:HR dev commentary, which mentions at least three large hub areas that were cut) it's really impressive that DX is as huge as it is, and contains so much reactivity for so long before zeroing in on a single path.

I think a lot of it has to do with how easy it was to make content for games back then. Scripting something in DX isn't that hard compared to what modern games need to do for quests, and the maps are barebones in terms of detail, so adding in an extra area, like the lab in the sewers, is simple compared to today. The art itself is pretty basic, so if a quest requires you to talk with Bum #25 or Hooker #12 and you want them to use a semi-unique skin, whipping up a new skin isn't hard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So GMDX makes use of the High Definition Texture Project (HDTP). Wonder what they've been up to...

:stare:

:stonk:

(not sure why that second screenshot inverted the colors on the dialogue part)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Finally a mod that gives us the stiff uncanny valley faces that made Invisible War so popular.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I don't really care about a UNATCO path ( because hey it's obvious what story they wanted to tell ), they just could have handled it better? Like have Simmons realize you even just talked to Paul at all and activated your killswitch because of that, which would have switched it from "Go help the terrorists police man. Oh no you got caught." to "WHAT THE gently caress ARE THESE PEOPLE! How/why did they kill me just because I wanted to say goodbye to my brother? Something is up!".

I'm mainly just annoyed that even if you go fully nonlethal/check every email, the game doesn't provide any sort of incentive to betray the Coalition to support a bunch of people who are outright terrorists/gangbangers to you. At this point you still haven't realized that the Statue was blown up by UNATCO/most of the stuff attributed to them was done by MJ12, so it's a bit strange that JC was so willing to join them.

If finding the bribe notes/talking to Paul set off Simmons though, fine, I'll send the broadcast now because I guess I need their help to survive/something IS going on.

You can do the opposite at that point. Just trust your brother and send the message without bothering to find the evidence first. Rebel at hart. Family first.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Why the long face? :xd:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Has Walton Simons always been Russian?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All right so I'm still on Liberty Island in GMDX. Why, you ask? Because I favor a non-lethal playstyle. Normally, this was a fairly simple endeavor, but this mod has made it a little bit crazy. For one, if you knock someone out, anyone nearby will hear it and come a-runnin'. And if one guy starts a fight with you, nearly everybody in the area will eventually join in on that fight. The riot prod, my ol' glory, only has two rounds per clip now, and ammo is even more scarce than usual.

I have quickloaded many, many times. Thank god for quickloads. There's a lot of little changes throughout the levels. For one, there's a bunch of trees all over Liberty Island. Benches and poo poo. There seem to be a lot of new crates to see. There's a lot less items strewn about, for instance I haven't found a bioelectric cell yet because there wasn't one on the docks.

The true test? Subway hostages.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

All right so I'm still on Liberty Island in GMDX. Why, you ask? Because I favor a non-lethal playstyle. Normally, this was a fairly simple endeavor, but this mod has made it a little bit crazy. For one, if you knock someone out, anyone nearby will hear it and come a-runnin'. And if one guy starts a fight with you, nearly everybody in the area will eventually join in on that fight. The riot prod, my ol' glory, only has two rounds per clip now, and ammo is even more scarce than usual.

I have quickloaded many, many times. Thank god for quickloads. There's a lot of little changes throughout the levels. For one, there's a bunch of trees all over Liberty Island. Benches and poo poo. There seem to be a lot of new crates to see. There's a lot less items strewn about, for instance I haven't found a bioelectric cell yet because there wasn't one on the docks.

The true test? Subway hostages.

So how difficult is it to knock somebody out without alerting anybody else, do you think? How far away do other NPCs need to be before they won't be alerted by you knocking somebody out?