Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

superstepa posted:

Yeah the stealth basically comes down to cloaking after enemies see you and then backstabbing them when they look away in confusion. Oh yeah and backstabs are always a one hit kill. See that helicopter? You can backstab it.

I prefer shooting down a helicopter with a hunting revolver, but whatever floats your boat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
EYE is like the best immersive sim ever made because it takes the multiple playstyle idea and turns it into something so absurd and outlandish that Hideo Kojima might tell them to tone it down a notch. I can only hope the devs bring the same energy to that actual 40k game they're apparently working on.

P.S. Immersive sim is still a really dumb name for a genre and I can't tell if it's just because cringey press conferences and poo poo have sapped all meaning from the word "immersive".

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
Just chiming in to second the recommendation of Vampire: Bloodlines.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If the graphics of Deus Ex are too old for you to handle, check out the GMDX mod. In fact, all of you check out the GMDX mod if you are looking for an excuse to replay. It's very very good, adds a lot of little things in the levels to trigger that feeling of finding something new even on that 20th play through.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Following up on Deus Ex: HR with E.Y.E. is like following up on Gattaca by watching some weird Korean remake of Robocop where Robocop finds out he is literally the devil.

Holy lol.

gary oldmans diary posted:

You generally don't go non-lethal, do you?

My playstyle boils down to "sneak around for a bit, if I get caught or enemy patrols move too slowly oh well I tried time to PUNCH EVERYTHING."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If the graphics of Deus Ex are too old for you to handle, check out the GMDX mod. In fact, all of you check out the GMDX mod if you are looking for an excuse to replay. It's very very good, adds a lot of little things in the levels to trigger that feeling of finding something new even on that 20th play through.

Awesome! I'll check this mod out and the VtM game too. Thanks guys!

e: Is EYE mandatory co-op or could I just smash my way through everything solo?

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

EYE can be done just fine solo and is balanced for it. Co-op makes it unbalanced as hell but in a fun way.

I suggest aiming for the Bear Killer magnum ASAP when playing, that thing can take down anything in one or two hits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

EYE can be done just fine solo and is balanced for it.

"Balanced." EYE isn't balanced in either mode at any point, but it's completely soloable.

Two important things to know:

1) as mentioned, start working towards the stats for the Bear Killer ASAP, because the last two levels require an armour-piercing weapon and the default AP sniper rifle is a giant pile of poo poo.

2) everything that isn't a gunship or a cyberdemon can just be killed with with a HS010 on fuller automatic (not a typo) and the Targeting System implant, allowing you to dump 100 rounds down-range in approximately 3 seconds while keeping your base standing accuracy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
EYE is a potentially fun game that really, really, really does not want you to play it or to really even know how.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 23, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
EYE is less a game and more a pile of mechanics that technically all point to the same game objects.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Your legs are ok.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

EYE is awesome because you can gain PTSD and leg injuries all the time but all you need to do is press V and your legs are OK. Also you can get hacked by a door and then have to hack yourself to get rid of the virus the door gave you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In EYE, a decent amount of the dialogue choices are you being an rear end in a top hat for no apparent reason. Unlike other games, there are no nice options when there is an rear end in a top hat option.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

closeted republican posted:

In EYE, a decent amount of the dialogue choices are you being an rear end in a top hat for no apparent reason. Unlike other games, there are no nice options when there is an rear end in a top hat option.

Well, it is partially based on WH40K :v:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love Vampire:Bloodlines but it's a pretty broken game if you don't have the unofficial patches. Patched up it's probably the best game about vampires ever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Holy lol.

My playstyle boils down to "sneak around for a bit, if I get caught or enemy patrols move too slowly oh well I tried time to PUNCH EVERYTHING."

Awesome! I'll check this mod out and the VtM game too. Thanks guys!

e: Is EYE mandatory co-op or could I just smash my way through everything solo?

VtM is fun as hell and is newer than DX, but be warned that it's buggy as gently caress and uncanny-valley central.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

KillHour posted:

VtM is fun as hell and is newer than DX, but be warned that it's buggy as gently caress and uncanny-valley central.

Unless you're using the term completely wrong there's nothing in VtM that would fall in the uncanny valley, the humans are all somewhat cartoony and stylized. They're really expressive and it's aged way better than a lot of games from that era.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I got the newest version of this patch so hopefully that eliminates all the buggy stuff. I'm not sure if it's due to the patch or just the game itself but the graphics are fine by me, they're really no worse than Dishonored's :lol:

e: also I'm pretty sure I played this game when it came out, I'm surprised it apparently holds up so well

e2: yeah I did, back then I rolled Malkavian as my first character, I do not recommend rolling Malkavian as your first character

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 23, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got the newest version of this patch so hopefully that eliminates all the buggy stuff. I'm not sure if it's due to the patch or just the game itself but the graphics are fine by me, they're really no worse than Dishonored's :lol:
Never doubt it.

Also get Biomod. Trust me. It makes minimal changes and basically just smooths out some issues with vanilla.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Okay! :)

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Just be warned that fan patches can't fix every bug with VtMB. A lot of the problems with that game are down to engine level issues with the pre Half-Life 2 (!!!) version of the Source Engine that the game uses, which a fan patch simply can't do anything about unfortunately. Save often, and in multiple slots.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Never doubt it.

Also get Biomod. Trust me. It makes minimal changes and basically just smooths out some issues with vanilla.

Does VtMB also have a Biomod?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Geight posted:

Does VtMB also have a Biomod?

The unofficial patch has a plus versions that adds a bunch of cut content (which is nice) along with some useless changes that the author felt would "fit in" with the game (not so nice)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Started up EYE Divine Cybermancy, this game is a hoot and a half and all I've done is shoot some scavengers in a sewer and then hacked a door.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

e: also I'm pretty sure I played this game when it came out, I'm surprised it apparently holds up so well

e2: yeah I did, back then I rolled Malkavian as my first character, I do not recommend rolling Malkavian as your first character

Wrong, starting VtM:B with a Malkavian character is the best thing :colbert:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
A few days ago I installed Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption because it was released earlier, but Bloodlines is the one I'm suddenly seeing get all the raves. Should I just play that, instead?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'd say that about Shifter. Biomod changes how a new player might play the game and customize their character so it's just a bit outside of vanilla territory for me. In a good way, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

orcane posted:

Wrong, starting VtM:B with a Malkavian character is the best thing :colbert:

Half of the fun of being a Malk is how your character makes cryptic references to plot events that are going to happen, which you obviously won't get until you've finished the game once. Don't play a Malk on your first playthrough, go Brujah or Toreador or anything else with Celerity.

gary oldmans diary posted:

A few days ago I installed Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption because it was released earlier, but Bloodlines is the one I'm suddenly seeing get all the raves. Should I just play that, instead?

The two have nothing to do with each other other than being set in the same reality. I really liked Redemption when it came out, but it's not an immersive sim and it's nowhere near as well-known as Bloodlines (and it's not as good as Bloodlines patched up).

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Malkavian is best on your first playthrough, you'll be just as confused as your character is which I think is far better than just recognizing references to story events.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

LookieLoo posted:

Malkavian is best on your first playthrough, you'll be just as confused as your character is which I think is far better than just recognizing references to story events.

The best parts of the Malkavian playthrough are the parts that don't call back (or forward) to the main plot. The STOP sign, the newscaster talking to you, NPCs getting frustrated and annoyed at you just because you're a "goddamned Malkavian," and scaring the Inscrutable Asian Vampire Lady by yelling what seems to be nonsense at her.

Also, Shelly the turtle. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LookieLoo posted:

I distinctly recall getting to the last part of the game, with the coffin and the taxi, and just blindly picking dialogue options since I had no loving idea what my character was on about

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I distinctly recall getting to the last part of the game, with the coffin and the taxi, and just blindly picking dialogue options since I had no loving idea what my character was on about

Which is why that game is a piece of art. Your character is just as confused as you are. The game made you feel the same way your character does! :toot:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Malkavian is is a pretty good encapsulation of both the good and bad of this kind of game. On one hand it kicks rear end that they went to so much trouble to make a novelty character class work and reward people for replaying the game, but on the other hand who knows how many people got frustrated and quit the first time they played VtM:B because they picked Malkavian? In a modern game I almost feel like they would be an unlockable reward for beating the game, kind of like Veteran mode in Alpha Protocol, so you wouldn't alienate and confuse new players or spoil the story the first go-around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They gave you fair warning. Maybe a pop-up warning when you choose the class would be appropriate.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

So far the only thing I really don't like about EYE is the save system. Aesthetically it's really cool that every time you play you are in a weird dream realm and you have to wake up, but mechanically it's limited by only saving your progress on a map switch, which means if you get bored and want to do something else you can potentially lose a lot of progress!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You don't really get enough money in EYE to level up a lot in a first play through I found. Also nothing makes any sense and you have no idea whats going on and I wonder how much that was caused by the hosed up translation

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Half of the fun of being a Malk is how your character makes cryptic references to plot events that are going to happen, which you obviously won't get until you've finished the game once. Don't play a Malk on your first playthrough, go Brujah or Toreador or anything else with Celerity.

On the contrary. Back when I got the game I started with some "normal" clan and for some reason restarted with a Malkavian really early. To me the fun was in the antics and decrypting what my character was saying, as well as figuring out how the weird things she said translated into story events as I progressed. Knowing the chain of events in advance, and just playing through with someone who recites the event in a funny way would have been way less interesting to me and I'm glad my first experience was with a Malk, even if I missed a few references here and there.

YMMV and all that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Just play whichever clan seems cool (they're all good in their own ways) and maybe restart if you change your mind.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I liked Redemption a lot except the second boss (the guy in that monastery) was way too hard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

a7m2 posted:

Just play whichever clan seems cool (they're all good in their own ways) and maybe restart if you change your mind.

The average person can't be trusted with this because the average person is an idiot. That rattling of cages you hear? That's a hundred players Googling GameFAQs for lovely directions. That's a thousand players getting stuck in the mandatory tutorials. That's a million apes pounding on keyboards until an angry review appears on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I liked Redemption a lot except the second boss (the guy in that monastery) was way too hard.

He made me quit the first time but then the second time, years later, I steamrolled him without trying. It was strange.