Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

This and VTM: Bloodlines are the best Deus Ex-like games you can find. Both are also on Source and they're both works of art. Deus Ex, EYE and VTMB are three of my personal favorite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There's a preorder page for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided up on Steam, with a release date of February 23, 2016.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

EngineerSean posted:

There's a preorder page for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided up on Steam, with a release date of February 23, 2016.

They are also doing a really gross kickstarter-esque pre-order campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbHtXPhr14

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So Jensen's back, I wonder how he survived that?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They are also doing a really gross kickstarter-esque pre-order campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbHtXPhr14

I think something similiar was done with XCOM, but not to this extent which is just dumb.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Please don't preorder, thanks :)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mr E posted:

I think something similiar was done with XCOM, but not to this extent which is just dumb.

XCOM just did the same thing a few other Steam games have done, which is have better pre-order rewards if more people pre-order. There weren't several different tiers of rewards or anything like that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

Please don't preorder, thanks :)

I preorder games I'll inevitably get anyway if it comes with extras :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'll preorder games when the same team from the first very good game is doing the sequel to that same game

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Watching this really makes me remember just how much I love this goddamn game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

Probably about time to start my annual replay.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They could have announced the game was delayed until 2017 and would still have got a better reception.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I'll preorder games when the same team from the first very good game is doing the sequel to that same game

Me too usually, but I'll just buy this day one instead because I don't like their really lovely early unlock marketing campaign.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm near the end of my latest playthrough of the main game and I want to give The Nameless Mod another shot after giving up on it 30 minutes in before. Is there advice or information I should know before I play that would help?

and have the developers of Deus Ex ever said what the deal is with that cylindrical room in the building before the superfreighter with the spiderbot and the rotating walls?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
TNM: Your pistols are really good so put some skillpoints in that. Also, hacking is (as always) basically the best skill to upgrade quickly as it opens a lot of extra stuff. Credits are scarce so don't spend them on frivolous poo poo. Do all the quests before moving on to the next area. Try to get and upgrade the speed aug ASAP because you need to run long distances a lot. There are quite some secrets hidden away so be vigilant of that. Search nooks and crannies!

Finally, try to look past the LMAO GOATSCULT DRINKIN MELK THROWIN SPORKS poo poo in the mod, it's pretty terrible on the outset but they at least take it seriously in the frame of the world; the level design and new additions are pretty cool imo. The biggest problem is the large, large large open spaces everywhere, the scale seems a bit off.

IMO, it's the closest thing to a 2000-era expansion to Deus Ex you can get.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Koburn posted:

and have the developers of Deus Ex ever said what the deal is with that cylindrical room in the building before the superfreighter with the spiderbot and the rotating walls?

That room always confused me. Its a generator..I think? Fan service to Event Horizon?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Koburn posted:

I'm near the end of my latest playthrough of the main game and I want to give The Nameless Mod another shot after giving up on it 30 minutes in before. Is there advice or information I should know before I play that would help?

My advice is: Don't give up on it. Seriously. Once you get past the absolutely awful beginning part, it turns into solid loving gold. They nailed the Deus Ex asthetic harder than Human Revolution did. I know the voices are somewhat grating, but you simply aren't playing Deus Ex if there isn't someone audibly telling you things in your commlink, it's a massive part of the whole experience. The level design is top notch, tons of alternate routes and secrets. Branching storylines! Overall I'd put the total product on par with Deus Ex and at times exceeding it... except for that goddamn intro portion. It's so bad. The first hour or so is just inexcusably terrible and is almost certainly responsible for the failure of the mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My advice is: Don't give up on it. Seriously. Once you get past the absolutely awful beginning part, it turns into solid loving gold. They nailed the Deus Ex asthetic harder than Human Revolution did. I know the voices are somewhat grating, but you simply aren't playing Deus Ex if there isn't someone audibly telling you things in your commlink, it's a massive part of the whole experience. The level design is top notch, tons of alternate routes and secrets. Branching storylines! Overall I'd put the total product on par with Deus Ex and at times exceeding it... except for that goddamn intro portion. It's so bad. The first hour or so is just inexcusably terrible and is almost certainly responsible for the failure of the mod.

I know it's been brought up before but somebody interviewed TNM's developers and that sentiment was quite prominent in the mod's "post mortem". So even the people who made TNM realize that the opening sequence is hot garbage and without a doubt one of the worst design decisions they could have possibly made. It's just bad.

I've forgotten about the mod's details for the most part, but I wonder how practical/difficult it would be to make a sort of "redux" specifically for TNM's opening sequence--something that would keep the rest of the mod making sense but give the axe to most of the poo poo that turns people away.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The best thing to do with TNM is to immediately spawn yourself a augmentation canister for the run speed enhancement. Otherwise the beginning areas (which are enormous) are an absolute pain.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah I'm playing it now myself and definitely agree the intro is fairly lacklustre - not just level design but also the whole story is pretty yawn inducing to people not familiar with any of the DX communities (I'm sure it's a laugh riot if you are I guess)

I did feel pretty drat sad when a book mentioned PlanetQuake, PlanetHalf-life and the similar pages though - all of it gone for good now.

Deus Ex Nihilum is also good, although perhaps fittingly the intro area to that is also a maze and hard to navigate (but at least it's a bit smaller) What is it with Deus Ex and off-putting starting areas? I liked the CIA HQ in Zodiac as well but that was also a massive area where you had to walk for ages to reach anywhere.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know it's been brought up before but somebody interviewed TNM's developers and that sentiment was quite prominent in the mod's "post mortem". So even the people who made TNM realize that the opening sequence is hot garbage and without a doubt one of the worst design decisions they could have possibly made. It's just bad.

I've forgotten about the mod's details for the most part, but I wonder how practical/difficult it would be to make a sort of "redux" specifically for TNM's opening sequence--something that would keep the rest of the mod making sense but give the axe to most of the poo poo that turns people away.

Yep, I think it was originally going to be a small mod based in the PDX forums and played only by PDX members which grew and grew until it got loads of wider attention. By the time they realised that anybody who wasn't on PDX would find the premise silly and the Goat/Llama/Spork/Foon poo poo and forum drama insufferable, it was too late to change.

The gameplay is top, top notch, though. All is forgiven. It's actually the only Deus Ex mod I've played, I take it Nihilum and Zodiac are good places to start?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I don't remember Deus Ex being pitch black the first time I played it, and I know my eyes haven't gotten THAT bad in the last 15 years. Is there a mod or way to brighten it up a little other than maybe messing with my monitor's gamma settings? I'm having trouble just on the very first mission since half the time the bad guys seem to be just walking around in a formless black void. I had the same problem with the stealth section of the tutorial too. :saddowns:

Edit for screenshot:

Edit 2: Got it fixed with this mod that also installs DX10, mine was running on DX9. http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 23, 2015

Kirall
May 5, 2008
http://www.dx-revision.com/website/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just came here to say Deus Ex plays fine on Windows 10.

My electronic old men remain online.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah but what is this

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah but what is this

Dominic White posted:

So, probably due out in two days: Deus Ex Revision.

What is it? A full fan-remake of the original Deus Ex, endorsed by Square-Enix, many years in development. It still runs on the Unreal engine, but pushes it to its limits, and a little bit beyond thanks to some renderer upgrades.

While the core gameplay will be mostly the same (although apparently brings in some aspects of Biomod & Shifter), the biggest change will be one of scale. Here's an example - Area 51, before/after Revision:

Up close, the environments are a whole lot more detailed and cyberpunk'y too. Hong Kong definitely looks a bit denser and more interesting.

No absolute confirmation, but word is that it'll be a Steam release, free for anyone with the original game. Might be getting a launch as a standalone mod too, but we don't know yet. Apparently they've been sending out preview copies of it to the original Deus Ex devs these past few days to try and get last-minute feedback.

I wonder if the Swuare-Enix endorsement is them in damage control mode after Augment Your Pre-Order blew up so spectacularly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This is cool, but man, Paul and Jc plain don't look like that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

wipeout posted:

This is cool, but man, Paul and Jc plain don't look like that.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Well, I was getting hyped, but...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack of Hearts posted:

Well, I was getting hyped, but...

:ssh: That's from the PS2 port.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

E- You kidder, JC (got me).

Is this using HDTP assets?

I'm stoked about the map design updates. I hope the mod plays nice with the GOTY disk version.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 11, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sleeveless posted:

I wonder if the Swuare-Enix endorsement is them in damage control mode after Augment Your Pre-Order blew up so spectacularly.

Haha I was going to ask if this was really the case, then I went to the Steam page to see if there was a progress bar and there doesn't seem to be any mention of Augment Your Pre-Order Convoluted Rewards System anymore.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

:ssh: That's from the PS2 port.

Normally I'd feel bad about not getting the joke, but that is obscure as gently caress. So now I hate you forever.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
If the environments are really that much bigger then I'm hoping you can get Level 4 Legs early on because they'll be needed. Something that would be a good tweak would be a sprint key which automatically turns Legs on.

I've been playing GMDX recently on Hard (not Hardcore mode) and gently caress is it difficult. Enemies can often one-shot you, and there's an increased number of them and very limited ammo/picks/tools to be found. Taking down one MJ12 Commando was tough enough, and in Paul's apartment he ran out of ammo and resorted to cowering in a corner holding his head. Some door codes have changed as well - to get out of the MJ12 cells I had to shoot an enemy in the arm, so he would run away through the door - while trying to avoid getting shot by the security guns. I'm in Hong Kong now and I think I've only found 2 LAMs so far? Was struggling to get through the basement of the NSF satellite base with all the locked doors and limited explosives.

I'm also missing some of the Shifter/BioMod stuff like getting skill points for stealth and flushing toilets.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

Normally I'd feel bad about not getting the joke, but that is obscure as gently caress. So now I hate you forever.

I owned this version (a long time after I played the original). Turnstiles on Liberty Island and no inventory Tetris. All the cutscenes were pre-rendered, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

EngineerSean posted:

Haha I was going to ask if this was really the case, then I went to the Steam page to see if there was a progress bar and there doesn't seem to be any mention of Augment Your Pre-Order Convoluted Rewards System anymore.

Yup, they completely dropped that garbage. It's safe to pre-order again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GMDX is pretty fun, but gently caress all the changed codes. And often the code hasn't been updated in the datacubes either. For example, the MJ12 door lock.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
If you own Deus Ex on Steam you can grab Revision as a Steam mod now.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Revision's levels look alright so far but:

A) first person view models aren't very good
B) evertything's dark as poo poo and the brightness can't be adjusted (maybe this is something on my end?)
C) Some of the redone music sounds nothing like the original counterparts. More personal taste on that one.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why the gently caress would they redo the music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Jeoh posted:

GMDX is pretty fun, but gently caress all the changed codes. And often the code hasn't been updated in the datacubes either. For example, the MJ12 door lock.

Yeah that sucks. Along with lots of the crates not having anything in them.