Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Honest Thief posted:

why do so many people hate Liberty Island? the demo was what sold me on the game, really

well it doesn't help that you're supposed to be a super-advanced spy and you enter the area with no augmentations and no supplies

also there's lots of walking in big open areas compared to the later awesome sneaking levels like the silo and at Vandenberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fuzz posted:

I always loved setting a LAM on the plane so what's her face gets blown up and Lebedev actually escapes...

fun fact: alex's transmission to you is slightly different if you do this as opposed to killing her after she gives you the order to kill Lebedev

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fuzz posted:

Haha, yes, I noticed that too. The sheer confusion and disgust in his voice are so great. He also has a third transmission if you end up killing both of them.

well guess who's doing another playthrough!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Red Crown posted:

HOW?

I've seen a video where the only way possible is to set up all the TNT you can find in the level into a trap for the MIBs. Is it possible at all to normally just fight through it and save him?

paul is invulnerable during the whole fight, you can just hide and let Paul deal with everything in the room and the lobby. he only "dies" if you leave through the window

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DXIW had the worst ammo system and the worst UI in any fps of its period, not to mention the awful engine that had inexplicably high system requirements and tiny level segments that took ages to load. i'm of the complete oppisite viewpoint, i think it was a godawful and broken game that only got a bit of love because it was a deus ex game, and hey, a deus ex game couldn't possibly be bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the weak dragons tooth sword in IW is non-canon, much like the super-wimpy laser rapier in system shock 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shumagorath posted:

Finally, if you think anything about Deus Ex is cool there's only one ending worth choosing.

two cool endings, i kinda want to like this game for finally having a sadly not-widely-emulated "gently caress all of you idiots" ending

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was fun that "kill every faction leader for no good reason" was a possible ending though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pentheus posted:

yeah i really like the fact that it is left unclear whether or not your fellow former recruit was either a perfect unwitting pawn of the omar or a stone cold master of manipulation who convinced you to do exactly what his faction wanted you to do with a facade of exasperation and petulance.

i dont really care, i just wanted all those morons to die for wasting my time

it was a nice way to work out my frustrations with the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't it possible to leave the NSF base without transmitting the signal and trigger the raid?

honestly they had a tough problem in solving the "player must betray UNATCO" thing and they did it pretty well, dx was good at pretending you were in control of the plot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can tell them you are a spy, and they will kill you.

i think i even killed that little poo poo on my non-lethal playthrough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xander77 posted:

Dude. IW is marginally less stupid. Just admit it. "Thin excuse for not allowing you to kill crucial characters" is still better than "why, hello there, odd and incongruous god-mod on 90% of story relevant characters".

"Why wouldn't the faction just use their invincible agents to kill every grunt on the other side"?

it makes more literal sense at the cost of being much more jarring and immersion breaking

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EvilHobo posted:

Possible to use mods on the Steam version?

yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Boogle posted:

Although I personally prefer to lead the NSF guys to Paul and the security bot on the docks.

this is my favorite "pacifist" tactic on Liberty Island, along with sounding the alarm intentionally so everyone gets shot by my hacked turret

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paigicus posted:

Maybe you shouldn't just run around murdering potentially important people if you're interested in the plot.

it's entirely possible to get unlucky and end up killing someone who's part of a main quest somewhere, i ended up getting the message after offing someone in a house in the middle of nowhere once

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Besides, maybe I want the freedom to kill everyone AND complete the main plot!

you can do this in morrowind :ssh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Casimir Radon posted:

How do you even get it to lead up to that part?

It happens automatically during the second visit to UNATCO HQ, just follow Walton Simons after you finish your debrief with Manderley

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I'm not sure anyone brought this up, but i loved the UNATCO HQ sections, I honestly can't think of a game that did something similar. Maybe Splinter Cell: Double Agent, but they did it badly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SilkyP posted:

I tried to D/L the graphical improvement pack after buying this game on steam but I'm not sure where to put it? I don't have a deus ex folder, just the steam one?

steam/steamapps/common, should be in there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

etalian posted:

WP Rocket= Greatest

the best possible weapon to use in the raid on the Lucky Money

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr. Peepers posted:

scryspc

Yeah, I've never gotten that one either.

maybe anna is the only person in UNATCO HQ with even marginally good password selection skills

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

vtm:bloodlines
and that might be it!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stratdax posted:

Also for some reason JC told the quartermaster that Castle Clinton was a bloodbath, even though I didn't kill anybody at all).

Oh and I haven't found any augmentation canisters at all, except for the one at the top of Liberty Island.

for whatever reason, triggering the fight in the castle clinton courtyard will make the game think you went lethal, you can go non-lethal in Castle Clinton if you simply don't trigger the fight in the courtyard, which is easy if you get the code to the hidden entrance off the kid. The firefight in front of the metro station doesn't matter.

also don't worry about the augs, if you miss some, you'll get them later, the game usually gives you augs first in secret areas, followed by them appearing out in the open later.

if you really want to know, there are hidden augs in a safe inside an office in Castle Clinton, and down several floors in a nasty little maze area in the warehouse raid

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stump Truck posted:

-since I'll only be using 2 weapons I'll have plenty of inventory space. That means lots of candy bars, chips, soy food, soda, booze, cigs. I think I'll try doing it with no medkits, but I have to use any food/drink/cigs at the time that I pick them up.
-Be a dick in general (e.g. get Savage's daughter killed) - JC Denton takes orders from no man. Stanton Dowd doesn't look THAT sick, I'm sure someone else could use ambrosia more than him.

You can use the Ambrosia vial in the game, I like drinking it infront of him, even though it does absolutely nothing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I poked around in a benign manner until the maid started shooting at me when I attempted to steal one of Maggie's prize Buddhas using my super strength. I did not appreciate this and beat her into unconsciousness, then stole the Buddha anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know where Jock's apartment is, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get into it. The door has INF/INF strength and lockpick complexity, and the only window I can find leads into the stairwell :(

Jump out of Maggie's apartment onto the balcony.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, I'd save Shifter for the second or third time through, it's one of the best PC games ever, you owe it at least one vanilla playthrough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Only three times in 10 years? Get the hell out

(yeah that's probably a fine setup if you want to try something new and don't mind half-finished texture packs)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
penalizing you for killing Louis Pan is reason enough to completely reject Shifter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

etalian posted:

That level is so amazing due to the excellent dense design plus good scale making for some really rewarding sniping and sneaking

it kinda sucks if you want to get the legs aug at the bottom, though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
manually typing stuff owned and added to my immersion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zero Star posted:

This begs the question: why the gently caress didn't Gunther just escape the cell on his own and batter anyone who blocked his path silly?

he's not very smart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of that door, is Deus Ex the only game that models being able to have a door be open and locked at the same time

GOTY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So yeah, completed Invisible War and went with the Helios Denton ending. So underwhelming.

One game I doubt I'll ever install again unless I get really really bored.

at least do the Just Kill Everyone ending, just for fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stratdax posted:

okay so where is Jock's apartment? Is it on Tonnochi Road?

its the building across from Maggie's

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the spy drone was actually one of the best augs in Invisible War, which was kinda neat

"kinda neat" was kinda IW's ceiling though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ansob. posted:

A BOMB!!

A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it was just implied in deus ex

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CaptainRat posted:

It's in his e-mail, but at that point in the game I think you have to hack it since there aren't clues lying around to indicate his login/password like there are for some of the other characters. You have to do it on your first visit, too.

There is a clue, but it's really subtle, it's written on a poster in Jacobson's office.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I beat Invisible War.
It was a huge waste of my time and now I am going to go hang myself.
Watch the endings on youtube if you must.

the fourth ending is fun if you treat it as an attack on the game itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Do you mean the Omar ending?

yeah, i hated every single NPC so I was grateful for it's inclusion.