Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
This is the best Deus Ex video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDM0rGxtpY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I like that room. Whenever I play DX I invariably use the inventory glitch that allows you to stack items on top of other items. I mean, poo poo, how else am I going to hold all the weapon mods, scramble grenades, and ballistic armors I can never bring myself to use? That room is designed so that even if you take advantage of the glitch, there is enough shelf space to accommodate just about all the illegally carried items you had on you when you got captured. S'cool.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just realized I've never actually done a badass combat god playthrough. gently caress I might have to reinstall Deus Ex now. I'm thinking rifles, heavy weapons, and low tech for the sword.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 18, 2010

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
The tranquilizer darts are pretty overpowered too if you get a good shot in. They either collapse immediately or run around for 15 seconds and then collapse, either way, one shot and they're down.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So, what would be more rewarding:
-Play Deus Ex for the millionth time, but this time with Biomod
-Play The Nameless Mod for the first time (I have been wary)

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Methodis posted:

If I don't dig Deus Ex after the first level, does that mean I won't enjoy it anymore? Or should I put more :effort: into it?
The first level is the worst because you have no skills or augs or weapons and all you can do is shoot people really poorly with a pistol. Play through Hell's Kitchen, which is I think like another hour of gameplay, and if you still don't like it then you are not a Deus Ex man I guess.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Helios ending is obviously the best. Let's see, you can

-destroy the world
-hand the world over to the shady, manipulative Illuminati, who basically started the game's entire conflict
-RULE THE WORLD AS A MAGNIFICENT COMPUTER GOD-KING

Gee which is the most appealing. I... we... yes indeed.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think it's about time to replay DX what with this New Vision being released. Other than that and Shifter/Biomod, are any of the other mods worth installing? I'm thinking about HDTP but it hasn't been updated in 3 years so I feel it might just be annoyingly spotty.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

synertia posted:

Listening to the Hong Kong theme now. It sounds good in real life, too.

Imagine a photo here that shows a picture I took from my window in HK. It's a lot more impressive but I can't get it on here. drat you waffle images, why did you have to leave?
Most everyone uses https://www.imgur.com to host images now, it even has extensions

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So is it just me or does Alex Jacobson sound almost exactly like ulillillia?

Uli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX9vQ-2a0g
Alex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF0H_Nh5hoQ&t=8m08s

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Reive posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference besides the greenness of the first, which in turn just reminds me of The Matrix.
Look at the edges of the shadows and you'll see some nasty looking artifacting.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Reive posted:

Believe it or not I actually prefer artifacting of low-bit modes to the blurred filtering of high-bit modes, if I could run this in software rendering I would.
Yeah you gotta be crazy, the difference between the first and second screenshot is like from 2000 to at least 2005 to me. In 32 bit with dx10 I can at least pretend I'm playing a recently made game. If you really think it looks bad, maybe your setup messed up because I have heard of annoying graphics errors making their way through the patch installs. I dunno I have no complaints at all about the graphics with all the updates, looking better than ever with New Vision too.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 10, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
That said, the HDR when the graphics are all souped up is pretty obnoxious. I wish I could turn it off.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Speaking of the light aug, is there any easy way to change the bioelectric charge of certain augs? I'm playing with the dx10 renderer and while it looks great, dark areas are so dark that I'm finding myself using my flashlight much more than in the original. I guess it balances out with Biomod making things passive/free, but I hate playing knowing that using my flashlight is draining my energy.

edit: Alternately anyone know how to make this HDR poo poo less dark

edit: Actually, how do you make Deus Ex mods

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 14, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
drat I hope that's true. As soon as I get back to UNATCO I'm gonna try it out.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think he'll also take a crossbow if you can find one.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
If you have Shifter, you can walk up to him with a weapon out and press the drop weapon button. According to the patch notes it's supposed to give the weapon to the NPC, but I haven't tried it. Give him a GEP gun and see if he blows himself up.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I can't play Deus Ex anymore without using the inventory cheat that lets you hide items behind other items. What if I need those grenades?? Or a shotgun???

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think Biomod works pretty much perfectly. The skill point bonus for kills WAS cool, but you get so many skillpoints in the base game that it was frankly overkill.

I imagine that for someone skilled in mod making that it would not be too difficult to add the skill point bonus to Biomod, since Biomod is directly built off Shifter.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It always seemed like the best hit locations were groin and head, but you could hit either from in front or behind. When you're sneaking with crawl, though, that usually ends up meaning you taser the crotch from behind for best results.
Sorry but no, the back is indeed the best place to use the prod/baton. It straight up does more damage with any melee weapon (maybe just nonlethal melee weapons) if you tap them in the back. I don't really get it either. I usually crawl right up to an enemy and stand up briefly to prod them. Sometimes I shift-walk if he doesn't stop moving.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well yeah if you use combat strength you will obviously do more damage. There's nothing to argue about, it is a documented fact that the back is the best spot to aim when going for melee KOs. I just checked and it actually is only the baton and prod that work best on the back, everything else you should go for the head.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

The two sweet spots, as far as I am aware, are the back of the head and the base of the spine. It is possible to one-hit-KO an enemy with the prod without having to stand up, which is useful.

When I did my Biomod playthrough I got a lot of mileage out of a combination of maxed Run Silent, Microfibrial Muscle and the unique Blackjack. Charge at dudes and club them in the back of the skull.
There's no such thing as a sweet spot in the sense you describe. There are rough zones of locational damage, just like JC and his limbs. They can't get crippled like JC, but the concept is similar. The game just isn't sophisticated enough to have sweet spots like the base of the spine, that just counts as "torso," but it is a very effective place to aim if you want to KO someone while remaining crouched. Back of the head would count as "head" and while any other weapon would do more damage, the baton and prod still work best on the torso.

This applies to vanilla, it might have been changed in shifter/biomod because it makes very little sense but I don't think so.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Then what's with the MJ12 Commando's sweet stop being his belt? If you try the prod anywhere else, you won't be able to knock him out, even with a full magazine unloaded on him. However, if you use it on his belt, one shot will knock him out.
All I know is, I've looked at the game files a bit and enemies definitely just have the same body part system as JC in that they take different amounts of absolute damage in different body parts. Perhaps with the prod you can hit both the torso and legs at the same time? That seems the most likely to me and would account for the neck sweet spot as well. I guess if you can be really precise that's a good strategy.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

In Training posted:

I think the reasoning behind the constant XP bonuses found in Shifter and HR is to make it so every style of play is rewarded with a similar leveling curve. It's a really hard line to walk, and the balance is a big issue. This is why I didn't like the implementation in Shifter but loved it in HR: I felt like stealthing kind of gimped your xp intake in Shifter, while in HR, stealth kills give you way more XP than regular kills, but for me, since I was playing largely nonlethally and trying to never be seen, I took down a lot less people than I would have if I played lethally, which means in the end, an equal XP flow.
HR is ok for this but rewarding the player differently for doing objectives in different ways is an implicit endorsement of the most lucrative way. I honestly liked the original DX's way for this because it was completely nonjudgmental of how you engaged or didn't engage in combat. It rewards you only for exploration and progression. Essentially the same as HR's system, except instead of both combat and sneaking getting rewards neither do. Which I think works better because then you don't have that nagging urge to minmax it and can engage enemies as you prefer to.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Here's another secret for yall - did you find Jock's apartment in Hong Kong?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Little Blue Couch posted:

By the way, does Biomod get rid of shifter's dumb skill point system? If it does then it kinda just seems like a straight improvement of the vanilla game. I've got a friend who's playing for the first time and I might have him play with Biomod.

edit: ah, it keeps the randomized inventory thing. i always hated that.
You mean how Shifter gives you skill points for kills and other stuff? Yeah Biomod takes that out.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Also, the limitation of demolition weapons in DX isn't really how much damage they do (they'll all put pretty much any enemy out of commission in 1 shot) but how many you have. And it honestly makes much less sense that a grenade is going to start exploding harder once you know more about demolitions.

I'm not sure if it's a Shifter or Biomod change that also makes it much harder to disarm armed mines with low demolition skill. I have it untrained right now and they will just blow up as soon as I get near them, without any warning beeps. I like this because it further rewards you for putting points in demolition, and makes those mines into a real threat if you choose to ignore the skill.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 11, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah it's definitely controlled by the secret tunnel. You need to give a candy bar to the kid on the docks to access it. There's another place like that in the game: don't go out the Ton's window when someone tells you to.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
You can give the kid things other than a candy bar? WHAT

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I also find myself using a lot more bioenergy just for the flashlight (protip: bind it to something other than F12) when playing with the DX10 renderer, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Liberty Island is probably one of the most open and nonlinear levels in the game. That said, your habit of checking absolutely everything out isn't really that necessary in DX (even though I'm compelled to do the exact same thing). There are many occasions where you will be faced with multiple routes to the exact same place - in fact a choice like this comes up in the next level, and there's an even bigger split in Hell's Kitchen. You don't need to feel compelled to check out every route. They usually don't put the super rare stuff in these branching paths, and it'll probably be an overall drain on your resources, not to mention take much longer.

The combat definitely does get much more fun. You will need to upgrade your weapons skills or put some mods on them if you want them to be effective. At the beginning when you can't shoot for jack poo poo, I usually stick to sneaking around with the crossbow or the riot prod. Baton is nice for conserving ammo but harder to pull off. You will know the tranq crossbow hits if you hear the enemy grunt every couple seconds. One of the best early game strategies is to tranq a guard and then run away around a corner and wait for him to pass out. Another useful early tool is the pepper spray, with it you can disable an unlimited amount of enemies very quickly and then run away or drop a grenade or whatever, however it is somewhat difficult to use.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 11, 2012