Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Basic Beater posted:

I remember running Deus Ex with a configurator that fixed the resolution, if anyone has this, post it and I'll link it in the list.

This: http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

It's awesome. Also, what about all the different ways of playing through? e.g. a nonlethal way and all that jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Le Sean posted:

I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Get the Speeed Aug (preferably upgraded too) and you'll not miss any cool secrety bits. That's about it; you really can't screw up.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Anyone know how the Shifter Mod deals with not killing anyone? I'm justabout through Liberty Island with no kills, but taking people down with the prod/tranquiliser darts/baton doesn't give nearly the same Skill Points as lots of headshots would.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Xander77 posted:

He's not there to supply brain-power - a mega-AI doesn't really need a human for that. He's there to supply a human perspective and morals and stuff.

Which could be a problem, depending on how you played him.

What a shame.

My JC Denton would be a bad influence on AI morals :(

"Sir! The AI that rules the world is... high on zyme?"

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

IdiotSavante posted:

I've got Windows Vista 64 bit Home. If I get this game from Steam is it going to require cursing and/or elbow grease to get this to work? I just had this problem with Jade Empire (I know, but it was like 3 bucks during Christmas) so I want to make sure.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit, and the game ran perfectly straight from steam. Installing various mods/ DX and Unreal updates were a breeze, too.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Stump Truck posted:

Does anyone know why in Castle Clinton if I bring an explosive barrel into the room with the safe and then shoot the barrel it won't even damage the safe? I tried it twice and in the end I could only blow it up by throwing a LAM at it. Not a big deal, but the only purpose I could possibly see for having those barrels in the room with the ambrosia
Really? I usually blow up the door using the barrel (one of the pastely blue/green ones with the green label) and it kills the safe. Kills me too, half the time :(

GreatGreen posted:

Just a hypothetical question... would you find the game more enjoyable if instead of having to use Bio-cells, bio energy simply regenerated?

I used to think no, especially with regenerating health, but playing through Mass Effect 2 has really showcased using powers/regenerating health being bloody awesome.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Just installed BioMod. Anyone know if I have to restart? The number of times I've played through the first few UNATCO missions/ Liberty Island (5 times in the last two weeks due to Shifter/ HDTP/ me being an idiot) and I can't face sneaking around Liberty Island again :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Oolarg posted:

No you should be fine. I installed it after I did Liberty Island and I have no problems.

Cheers! I really couldn't face playing through it again.

Xander77 posted:

"ghost" to the top of the statue and back?

You can do the whole thing in less than 10 minutes if you don't search every nook and crany.
But.... but that would be wrong :tinfoil:

I think I'm physically incapable of not exploring every bit of every Deus Ex level.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah, if you're an obsessive must-find-everything gamer at all, Deus Ex is both maddening and rewarding with its many different paths. Someone who cannot leave a door or drawer unopened is going to do some back tracking and quickloading.

The UNATCO agents monitoring you over would go a little nuts at the way I play this game:

quote:

"Okay, he's got to the front door, disabled the security and got the login in record time. Mission accomplished!
...wait, why's he off to the docks?
Now he's sneaking around the back of the statue and stacking crates
Okay, we're back on track! He's taken out all of the agents on the top floors.
...and he's gone back downstairs.
What is with this guy and vents?
STOP DRINKING FROM THE FOUNTAIN, JC, AND GO GET THE GODDAMN COMMANDER"

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Seconding the BioMod love; it makes all the augs much much better and even improves on shifter.

Though it did make me accidentaly kill someone with a potted plant :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Weedle posted:

I always have the leg aug by the time I defect from UNATCO, but for some reason I missed it in my current playthrough. I have no idea how.

I've been doing a sneaky/nonlethal playthrough and I've just realised I missed it; it's at the bottom of Jojo's warehouse. If Walton Simons has started interviewing the NSF prisoners, you're too late. :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

Is Jojo's warehouse the same one as the NSF generator? I just got to that part last night and would really like my super legs since I have never, ever found that aug cannister in my dozens of prior play throughs. :smith:

Yus indeed. It's in a safe in the room in the very basement, surrounded by cameras, laser triplines, turrets and soldiers. An absolute bitch to get when you're trying not to kill anyone :(

On the plus side, you get to lock Walton Simons in a cupboard when you get back to HQ.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

John Dough posted:

I think I got myself stuck. I started a low-tech run, and now I find myself in the MJ12 base in the sewers. I got the security login from the guard house opposite where you enter the base, then I disabled all security and opened the door in the left tunnel. However, it seemed to have closed behind me, and can only be opened with a security keypad. The only other exit ahead is also protected by a keypad, and I have no multitools nor the right code. There's a grate beside it, but it's not selectable so I can't lockpick it. I have one LAM but I can't blow anything open :(

I just played this part, pretty sure the keypad code is 2167.

(e. you've headed towards the other entrance, btw)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fuzz posted:

What a shame.
Fail to save Pa Renton's life.

The secondary unit is disappointing
Lock Walton Simons in a cupboard.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Frankosity posted:

The best part of it wasn't that it slowed everything down and sped you up, since that's pretty much by-the-books bullet time, but it also modified normally hitscan weapons to fire physical projectiles; what this meant was that, when you activated the Chronos mod, they slowed down enough that you could see (they'd also have that cheesy Matrix blur effect around them in bullet time) and dodge them. Unfortunately the mod didn't progress beyond the alpha phase, so past Liberty Island everyone goes back to having hitscan guns.
If they had the mod working with the Liberty Island guys, could you cut the non-hitscan code and just paste it onto every enemy who uses the same guns? I mean a new mod without any of the ambitious stuff, just the Chronos Aug.

I'm not a code monkey, so apologies if what I just said was retarded.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I love the tranq. darts so much. I think my favourite thing to do is shoot someone with them, then just wait next to the alarm panel with the prod out.

The darts aren't crazily common later, but there are enough to allow for a healthy mix of prod/dart/baton. Not sure about Hong Kong, as I've just got there.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The Hong Kong map is so retarded I ended up making one myself. It's almost as retarded.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The waterways seemed really complicated when I got there :psyduck:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Velius posted:

I just found probably the most immersion-breaking situation in the game, one I hadn't noticed before.

Yeah, I just recently found this out too. It's an absolute pain in the arse when you're trying not to kill anyone; I ended up gas grenading the huge mob of UNATCO troops that spawned, but taking out individual patrolling Riot Police without the troops spawning INSTANTLY was seriously difficult.

Edit: vv They do spawn in quite odd places. It's drat annoying to get slaughtered from a street you'd just checked was empty.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 18, 2010

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Puppy posted:

I've been considering doing an all-heavy weapon playthrough, where I lugged around the GEP gun, flamethrower, and plasma rifle at all times and played turbo-aggressively. I might spec up Demolition and bring LAMs with me for more explosive flavor. Is this actually viable, though? Is there enough heavy weapon ammo in the game to sustain this strategy? I don't think I'd be have the inventory space to take the Dragon's Tooth (I'd only have six spare slots total, which would be eaten up by my multitools, lockpicks, and whatnot), so I'd have to make every shot count.

No need for lockpicks :eng101:

I have no idea about the ammo, but playing with heavy weapons + the Dragon's Tooth would kick rear end.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

SnipeBob posted:

Why does Spy Drone get such a bad rep? It may be a huge energy drainer, and it may be useless for actual spying, but for stealth based characters it's great. Being able to disable cameras, lasers, and bots with one quick zap is awesome. As long as you don't try to fly laps around the level with the drone, it think it's pretty efficient for what you get out of it. It won't use much energy when you are sending it inside a room or around a corner for instance.
The Biomod addon for shifter is awesome; it lets the Spydrone use buttons, datapads and hack computers. You can just live in vents. Pretty sure it's faster and less energy draining too.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Astroturf Man posted:

Other alternative would be playing as someone constructed by Helios in the UC.

I'd love a sequel where the protagonist is Gunther, exploring his deep hatred of lemon-lime.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Astroturf Man posted:

Is it just me or does the synthetic heart aug still suck hard in shifter?
What. It's awesome! I used it to boost my vision from "can see through walls into the next room" to "can see the entire map". Yess.

Though it wouldn't boost the Spy Drone Aug to level 4, must be a bug there :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Lork posted:

Reading the last few pages, I'm glad to see some people are enjoying BioMod.

BioMod is ruddy awesome. Hacking computers with the remote bot makes me feel even more of a sneaky fucker than ever.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

SRQ posted:

Beat it for the first time recently, now what?

Play it again with Shifter + Biomod. Don't kill anyone. Kill everyone. Buy swimming. Get completely different augs. Lock Walton Simons in a cupboard in UNATCO.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Christoph posted:

Oh my god. That's fantastic. I'm considering doing a pyro LP and I want those grenades so bad. And maybe a peppergun that also sets people on fire. And a baton that sets people on fire.

Would it be possible to make concussive explosives? Like, essentially a LAM that knocks people out? I understand if you aren't taking any more ideas and are done coding. It's just fun to dream.

The incendiary grenade is awesome, but I'd replay the entire game with 1 or 2 of the above.

There is only so much inventory space :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

We should make a list of stuff that's easily missed for replays.

I just found an Augmentation Upgrade canister in the underwater section underneath Vandenberg, that I never knew existed. I don't think I'd even seen that huge area before.

I also only just discovered that Shifter lets you upgrade Augs using canisters of the same type. So late! Damnit. :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fnoigy posted:

I must REALLY suck at the game, because unless I carefully ration everything, I'm always almost out of lockpicks, multitools and/or biocells. Of course, if I'm trying to ration them, I'm always almost full, or AM full, kinda like the big gun ammo in every other game I've ever played.

I must play this game pretty OCD; I ended up with 20/20 lockpicks and multitools pretty quickly and have 30 biocells. Oh dear.

Usually everything can be hacked/ exploded/ key found on someone?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Liberty Island is objectively an awful introduction to the rest of the game. Calling people who didn't pick up the game with the right "mind set" retards is plain stupid.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

A cool plot change/ ending would be:
Tracer Tong is only able to delay the killswitch, meaning you've only got a limited time to stop Page and the like. Merging with Helios is the only way Denton can survive, but JC is such a gently caress-up that instead of tempering the AI he ruins it. The ultimate only "good" ending would be to save Paul and merge him with Helios, creating a benevolent AI and sacrificing yourself.

Huh, that would actually be pretty cool and add tempo. Also, we're spoilering a ten year old game?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Azuren posted:

How the gently caress do you get DX2 to stop hanging with a black screen requiring a reboot as soon as you get to a load screen after creating your character?
This is a feature.

(I played through DX2 fine on an older laptop, didn't even get any CTD, but my dual core thingamy refuses to do anything with the game whatsoever. Good luck!)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Biomod is absurdly good and well worth a second playthrough of the game alone.

Greatgreen posted:

I'm using Shifter and Biomod in my Deus Ex playthrough. Is it possible to go in and mod these mods so the laser pointer makes my pistol stay perfectly still while I'm aiming with it, like it does in the vanilla game?
I think the Shifter options can be modified via a text file, so it'd be something like "change laserpointerpistol in shifter.txt to 0", but I can't properly remember, so that could be complete bollocks.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Minarchist posted:

No, I meant in the power box itself. There's a small compartment behind some wires that can be popped open to reveal a whole lot of nothing. It's kind of like that 100-level locked door in FO3 near the satellite dishes that opens up to a concrete wall with gently caress YOU tagged on it.

Just game devs having some fun.

I remember finding a grenade of some type here?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

A OBLIVION MOD... posted:

Today I learned that if you pepper spray Walton Simons on the way to interrogate the prisoners, he pulls his gun, runs down there, and just kills them. :confused:

If you can make him follow you, you can lock him in a cupboard.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Where is this at? Smuggler told me about it, but I looked all over and never came across it.

It's quite a small level, but for something so easily missed it's absolutely fantastic.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

androo posted:

God damnit thread, just started a new game with Biomod and Deus Exe. I'm digging the scaled GUI and proper widescreen.

Doing no-kill with the NSF because I'll feel bad later, but I'm gonna snipe the poo poo out of UNATCO.

It's lame how kill-centric the points/leveling system is, even though Shifter claims to help remedy this. I could have helped blow the NSF holding hostages in the subway away and gained a ton of points, but instead I sneaked onto the train and got nothing.
You get skill points for sneaking past guards instead of killing them, though. Not sure how much you get, though.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Clonexx posted:

I've been playing PC games for 25+ years now and I am sad to say that for some reason, I never played Deus Ex. After hearing so much about the game over the years and with Human Revolution coming out, I decided to finally buy it on Steam.

I installed it and did the recommended installs of the fixed EXE and using the D3D10 renderer. Everything runs absolutely fine except for 2 things. The first is that every single object seems to clip into whatever it's sitting on just a little bit. For instance, a Datapad sitting on a desk is only 3/4 to 1/2 visible because the rest is through the desk. However, I can deal with that, it's not a big deal.

The major issue I am having is menus. Anytime a menu is brought up where you have to use the mouse to click on things, the mouse is incredibly slow. It basically acts exactly the same way a game would behave if you ran it on a machine that wasn't fast enough to handle it. This includes the main menu before getting into the game and any menus inside the game, including inventory. This is making it extremely difficult to play and enjoy.

Has anyone else run into that issue and found a way to fix it? I am running on Windows 7 64bit with 4GB ram, a decent Nvidia card and a single core processor.

I had that same mouse issue on the main menu, but never got a fix for it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

No, Gunther kicks your rear end and sends you to prison instead. On the plus side, she doesn't get to come down and taunt you in your cell.

Anna comes to taunt you in your cell if you don't kill her? I've played through Deus Ex countless times, and had no idea.

quote:

There's no way to win that fight - even if you try it with cheats, Gunther is invincible, and there's really nowhere to go because Jock has to pull out when UNATCo swarms the area.
Gas grenades and tranquiliser darts still hurt him, so you can end up with an unarmed Gunther running about grunting.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Sam. posted:

The fight with Gunther was the only time I used a fire extinguisher. But speaking of pepper spray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqYCsMpxbJ0

Mind blown.

Holy crap. I spent so long experimenting with jumping on top of the emitters and this was right there.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

He just has different dialogue to go with the different situation.

A section around this was cut, but shifter puts it back in the game. Ford Shick, the hostage you rescue from the MJ12 sewer lair, appears at Smuggler's later and has some dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

timn posted:

On a similar note, I finally started my second vanilla run through of this game and decided to try matching pistols with the GEP gun. It didn't take long for me to realize that just about any obstacle in this game can be overcome with a just application of explosive ordinance. Most locked doors, most locked anything, laser trip wires, cameras, sentry guns, military robots, you name it. LAMS and GEP rockets are the universal solution to almost every problem.

I like to think UNATCO knew exactly what they were doing when they sent an agent out into the field with speedy legs, a rocket launcher and funds to buy drugs.