Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Basic Beater posted:

Deus Ex is the greatest goddamn game ever made. It is the pinnacle of human creation, and something we will be remembered for as a species.

More to come as games better than Deus Ex are made. (I.E.: Never)

Eh, it's alright.

It started out nice, but "everything ever is a conspiracy" got silly after a while and the stellar level design in the first few levels where each approach was equally good fell into one option being overwhelmingly better than others (like how a stealth approach for the research labs literally bypassed half the level, while the other approach was to fight your way through about 20 or so guards at awkward angles).

The scheme for leveling is messed up too. Lockpicking and multitools are way too expensive while other skills are completely useless to level up at all or more than once. Shooting feels generally unsatisfying (the guns are all pretty terrible and enemy AI is hilariously awful) and the stealth gameplay is good but nothing stellar.

Basically Deus Ex is a game that does a lot of things right but doesn't really do anything that stands out besides having really corny voice acting. But it's only 10 bucks and it's still worth playing so buy it anyway.

Also you can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVI_UoEYRc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sprite Based posted:

I SPEEL my DREENK!

EDIT: Beer is 15! Wine is 120!

What drink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56NjU5NC3k

lil sartre posted:

I only played the first level & it sucked

Liberty Island is the best level in the game (as long as you ignore the fact that UNATCO HQ is like right next to it for some reason). It's the only area where the level design philosophy of having multiple ways to go about the mission actually works where every method has its own strengths and weaknesses (as opposed to "fight five dudes"/"take this convenient vent and not fight five dudes, no skill required!").

Basic Beater posted:

Does no one read my FAQ? :smith:

What a shame.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 9, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Le Sean posted:

I'm playing for the first time, which skills/augs are pro and which are scrub?

Get Regeneration as soon as you can and upgrade it as much as you can.

Other than that, use whatever you want (most are useful only under certain conditions or aren't useful at all, just use whatever you think would work for you).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

Games need to make this optional, I loving hate it so much.

I don't mind it as long as it doesn't get too intrusive.

Take Oblivion as an example. Most of the red quest pointers are very useful and let you find locations without wandering around in circles forever. This was a huge problem in Morrowind where the world was huge and directions to certain dungeons were often vague or inaccurate. On the other hand, a lot of the green markers were ill-placed or too intrusive or broke immersion (like telling you exactly where a person is at any given time in the world).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jetsetlemming posted:

This was intentional to make you actually explore and give an in-universe reason for why the dungeons you were exploring weren't already looted ahead of time.

Still doesn't justify wandering around until you find the entrance to a dungeon. It's boring and annoying.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Concerned Citizen posted:

Some of the main plot characters weren't exactly "important."

Besides, maybe I want the freedom to kill everyone AND complete the main plot!

This is entirely possible.

The only character who you really cannot kill in the entire game until you make use of him is the Dwarf living in Fyr's basement.

Even if you don't do this, it's still possible to beat the game. It requires a whole lot of health fortification and acting extremely quickly when you beat/stab the Heart at the end but it is entirely possible to complete the game without ever acquiring Wraithguard (there's a speed run of Morrowind where a guy beats the game in about seven minutes with this method).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How many FPS/RPG hybrids are there

Outside those made by Looking Glass/Ion Storm

Does Bioshock count?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So I've been replaying this game with the Shifter mod, and I'm not sure if its the mod or not but it feels a lot better than I remember it being.

Of course, I've never done a "buff pistol skill, use ALL the mods on stealth pistol, run around with a rapid fire sniper rifle that kills most enemies that aren't robots in one hit and has practically unlimited ammo" run before. It's fun. It's kind of hilarious when you get stopped in the airbase, descend to the Barracks, then kill all six of the heavily armed guys in there with a pistol before they can even sound an alarm.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Willie Tomg posted:

I honestly don't know. Are you using a mod? It's my 100% failsafe strategy to surviving both Simons' plasma gun, and Gunther's flamethrower (no way am I letting him go so easy as using his safeword, also I usually need Jaime's biomod instead).

My strategy is to turn on level 4 regeneration and protection augs and shoot them until they kneel over.

This is also my strategy for almost the entire second half of the game, except instead of protection augs I just use level 4 speed enhancement and run past everything.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Jump out of Maggie's apartment onto the balcony.

You can find a key into the apartment in Tracer Tong's base as well.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

stratdax posted:

Where's the drat collapsed road in the canal tunnels where these nanotech augs supposedly are. I go down to the Canal tunnel, but it only takes me to the back entrance for Versalife.

Also, when I went back to Maggie Chow's place to grab the Dragon's Tooth after she sent me to the police station, she wasn't there. But you guys are saying you kill her before that? Or after? Or what. How many different ways can you approach the Maggie Chow plot, and what are the effects? I have no idea what I'm doing in Hong Kong.

I just shoot her in the head, open her secret room, grab the sword, and leave. I find it funny that all of the guards are sitting in the room next to the Dragon Sword instead of in the room with the Dragon Sword, it's also possible to alert them from the other side of the secret door but they just go back into the room next to the one with the super important plot device. If you kill her before she leaves her hotel you won't have to fight her later on in the VersaLife building. But seriously who does she think she is taking on Denton?

I always rush through Hong Kong because I couldn't care less for the really detailed level design.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

isk posted:

Never reinstall? Agreed, but the Denton ending got my attention. I think it's one of the things that IW did right, that ISA made a perfect democracy seem abhorrent.

I thought it was really cool, how was it "abhorrent" to you?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I am Zim posted:

I never understood why Maggie sends us there when the only info we find is their suspicions of Maggie's involvement in the red arrow assassination and her possible association with versalife.

1. Breaking into the police station is a pretty surefire way to get shot at. Being an enemy of the Hong Kong police would be inconvenient for JC.

2. Gives her time to get out of town.

What I don't get is why she tries to attack you later on completely alone when her previous action here shows that she's smart enough not to try and take on JC alone. It felt kind of like an excuse to let the player kill her for stabbing them in the back like that without paying enough attention to proper characterization.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2010

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

orange lime posted:

How can you give him a 45 in Perception? JC's vision is augmented. :colbert:

PER stands for "Personality".

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jetsetlemming posted:

I think I found the best face I could, given the cirumstance- an Adam Jensen one. This JC managed to make it out of the starting dungeon and into the nearest bar.

Oh Daggerfall, your heaping mess of dialogue glitches (and glitches in general) led me on such a path of misery.

Seriously though, gently caress Daggerfall.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

The issue here is that you're suffering from the conceit that a machine thinks like a human, and hence Helios is actually a cackling menace with a cyber mustache that just really wants to become a person so it can kill everyone or something.

It's a machine. It's a system. It's not human, it is inhuman to an utmost degree. It's certainly an intelligent machine, and one designed in order to be able interact with people, but intelligence does not necessarily equate to human intelligence, nor does it mean that mean that many of the biological imperatives that often drive people to be assholes to each other in organized system exist within it. It's capable of exchanging data with humans; that's a thing you are doing with your computer any time you type on the keyboard.

If it has the capacity to be all "evil human dictator cackle", why the hell does it need human insight? The human factor? If it's OOGAH BOOGAH SKYNET (ps the entire notion of Skynet and related things is retarded, since it assumes that inhuman machines will magically develop human hatred of humans which, when you consider the fact that it'd need spontaneous evolution from a zero state to "SUDDENLY HUMAN WITHOUT ANY EVOLUTIONARY STIMULI TO ENCOURAGE THIS TRAITS" is pretty dumb!) none of that is really necessary at all, especially if it specifically wants JC Denton and not some other clown.

All of this plus the Helios ending is the best ending because transhumanism owns and the other two endings are pretty dumb.

Hogburto posted:

You were just saying those goony goons are gushing about transhumanism again (who is?)

That would be me. I love the Helios ending so much for that reason alone. All of the stuff that Zorak keeps talking about is a very nice bonus.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 27, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zorak posted:

This is less about transhumanism and more social theory than anything~

I like it because transhumanism is a major underlying theme of Deus Ex and ensuring a benevolent dictator helps to evade most of the potential nasty problems with it. Having Helios as the dictator of the world would help ensure that everyone would have access to the emerging nanotechnology without it being used to help governments and corporate interests screw everyone else over. Remember that controlling Area 51 and Helios would also allow you to control all the research on it.

Humanity is at the cusp of evolving into something much greater in Deus Ex and the other two endings pretty much wreck the hell out of that idea. The Illuminati ending would have it in the control of corporations and whatever other shadowy powers are in control while the Tracer Tong ending would just blow it all up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Does it make any difference to the story if you kill Agent Navarre on the 747 versus in the train station? Does saving Lebedev have any impact?

Saving Lebedev doesn't have any impact on the story other than a few characters talking about it during the next trip back to UNATCO, but if you avoid killing Navarre you'll fight her in the UNATCO building instead when you escape.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hard Clumping posted:

Further: Anna Navarre, barring exploits, is the only character in the game that absolutely has to die.

I'm not entirely sure this is unintentional, because I'm pretty sure Hermann's dialogue changes if you don't kill Anna.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 9, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chakron posted:

Howard Strong

You can knock him out.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

Or perhaps I'm just playing the game wrong?

Possibly.

My last run was: Max pistol and low-tech skills along with trained in lockpicking and electronics. I used a heavily modded pistol to take care of almost everything with one or two headshots. I saved the GEP gun for taking out robots, MiBs, and the occasional door. I struck enough of a balance between using explosives and lockpicks/multitools to open doors that I explored pretty much everywhere and never ran low on lockpicks/multitools or rockets/LAMs. I also had plenty of inventory space left over for every type of grenade and some backup hazmat suits.

Since this thread was started I've played through this game twice with Shifter and once with Biomod. Biomod and Shifter fix almost every complaint I've had about this game, it owns now. Also playing through multiple times let me realize just how many options you have while playing this game, it gets kind of ridiculous. One huge example is that it took me until my third playthrough to realize that there was an alternate pathway into Area 51. I still maintain that one option is usually overwhelmingly better than the others, but it gets really fun on repeat playthroughs when you discover some detail that you missed before like the secret storage in Alex's room or being able to stack metal crates to get into the building that the NSF is holed up in early in the game.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 12, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

Do you have to do anything to enable challenges? I've played through with 0.8 twice now and have seen nothing challenge-related, and the README just says that there are challenges, nothing about how to enable them.

Press escape, it's under the main menu.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fledgling Gulps posted:

What conversation is that a quote from again?

Captain Novolin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

(I have never beaten deus ex, I just got past the underwater base things)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I really want to get into this game, but every run I do, I can get to the terrorist-filled subway on Liberty Island/wherever it is, and can't figure out where to go. I tried crawling through vents, bumrushing the front, everything. Any advice, since I heard the game really picks up after this?

The terrorists won't run through the laser grid. Just shoot everyone with a tranq dart and wander off for about 30 seconds.

You also don't have to rescue the hostages, you can take the subway and leave them on the platform if you want. You can even skip the entire level by just going straight for the trains.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Prenton posted:

Yeah, that happened to me to. Also, unless I missed something, it's possible to get stuck on one of the rooftops on the way to the NSF generator if you've not upgraded Athletics at all. Does Biomod actually reduce the base jump height?

Possibly, but I'm pretty sure there are other ways to get to the NSF generator.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Black Eagle posted:

code:
Speed Enhancement no longer allows you move silently at high speeds.
Is there a way to install BioMod without that change?

No. This is to balance it with Run Slient, which is much more useful in Biomod than it was in the original game. I actually used it in my latest run over Speed Enhancement and once I upgraded it a bit I was running through the entire game without picking up any attention. It was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Xander77 posted:

Aaaaaand... done*. What's next - 2027, TNM, something else? Does HR have any decent mods?

* I didn't recall the Helios ending being so... sinister.

The "Director's Cut" edition of HR recently released makes a few changes that make it much more fun to play and improves the visuals. The biggest change has your energy pips naturally recharge up to two pips instead of one (except on hard difficulty), giving you a bit more freedom to gently caress around with stuff. The three boss fights against the mercenaries were reworked to give you more options and they don't feel quite as out of place (the final boss is still dumb though).

There's about eight hours of in-game commentary too, if you're into that.