Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

Jocks a dick, you bring him some liquor and hes like "No, thats warm"

What the gently caress do you want, a chilled Zima? Get The gently caress Out Of Here.

Jock never accepts the first beer I give him. It doesn't matter if I picked up a beer that was lying around or if I got it straight from the bartender. I don't mind though because he's badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Stuntman posted:

Does that actually work? I've heard that it does, and I've heard that it doesn't.

I tried it once, all it did was cause a nearby civilian to get scared and run away. The beer was still warm. :(

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

The Supreme Court posted:

Get the Speeed Aug (preferably upgraded too) and you'll not miss any cool secrety bits. That's about it; you really can't screw up.

This is what I was going to say. You get a choice between the speed aug and the Run Silent aug, but speed is the one you want. After a couple upgrades to Speed, you'll be able to jump just about anywhere in a level. Run Silent is worthless because you can crouchwalk with the speed aug to "run" silently.

Other than that there are no real obvious aug choices. Almost every aug has some use.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
Here's some Deus Ex-inspired music you guys might not have heard before:

http://www.myspace.com/zymebag

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

how loving lovely that mod was
What bugged me about it was that it was technically well done with good level design and gameplay, but I still couldn't get into it because of the retarded LOL I CAN HAS INTERWEBS poo poo. I mean there's actually an item called "lollerskates."

Oh, while we're posting videos here's one of mine. I can't remember who made the music but it wasn't me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCzK-rlwP4

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Meliv posted:

Dunno. Would have been cool to have him randomly show up later on in the game. Does shifter award skill points for doing this? The vanilla game doesn't apparently. Not that I need any incentive tosave that crazy knife wielding maniac :patriot:

It's been a while since I played, but I believe Shifter does give you a small skill point bonus for getting Miguel outside. I just told him to stay in his cell, cleared everyone out of the way, then ran all the way back to get him.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

So during those scripts I hand over my equipped weapon instead of the first 10mm pistol it finds? That's cool; I always had a spare sawed-off shotgun for Gilbert anyway.

I just run to the Underworld Tavern and grab Jordan Shea's sawed-off from behind the bar. With a sawed-off Gilbert always seems to win pretty quickly.

I didn't see this posted yet. Some of the stuff in the TNM chatlog came from this DX design document.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/april02/dxbible/

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Brannock posted:

This thread is now temporarily about your favorite JC one-liners.
This is in response to the girl in the Paris bar who offers to sell you the code to the back storeroom, if you got in without paying her for it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Red Crown posted:

Requesting thread title change, Deus Ex: What a shame.

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod. Just in case though, we're police.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Male Man posted:

Prototype Nanoswords

If I remember right, the Mk 1 can be found in the Versalife lab (not sure how to describe it, the big room where the MiBs and WiBs are patrolling). It's in one of the locked cabinets.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Le Sean posted:

You people? Gods amongst AI.

BOB PAGE
Or better than GameFAQs. Goons.

Mudlark posted:

There's also one of the prototype nanoswords atop the shipping crate that has the rear-entrance to Smuggler's place. Only there after you grab the Dragon Tooth or whatever the gently caress. I've taken to just calling it the Motherfucker. The prototype sword does more damage than the DT, but it shorts out from time to time, making it do less damage than a baton. :downs:
That's a Mk 1, unless one of the other swords does the same thing. (I never found all of them)

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

A tad. Every faction in the game was after the same objectives, for different reasons. The contrived part was the way the ending - the protagonist joining one of the four sides - was determined by his actions in the final 20 minutes of the game, disregarding everything that came before that.

To be fair, DX1 works this way too. The only difference is that JC's actions in the previous levels don't commit him to any of the sides.

A DX mod where the player gets to stay loyal to UNATCO and crush the NSF/Silhouette/X-51/triads could be cool if done right.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I can see that things don't respawn in this game. What would happen if you just murdered everything and everyone you came across? What kind of ending would you get?
The story-critical characters get a "plot forcefield" that prevents you from killing them. I honestly haven't tried a "kill everything possible" playthrough but I think later on the characters don't have as many "why the gently caress did you kill those people" lines like Manderley has. The possible endings would be the same.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 19, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Psion posted:

At least in DX you could usually shoot them and then you'd die or whatever. So sure, it was kind of a false choice but at least you always had the capability even if the game railroaded you into not doing it. The same thing is hilariously bad in DXIW. "Oh sorry you're going into an area with plot critical characters.... Gonna need you to let us remotely disable your weapons, since there is no way a bioaugmented agent could ever kill anyone with their bare hands or anything. Yeah we promise to re-enable them later. Don't mind us."
HAHAHA, I actually forgot about this. Or maybe it was a repressed memory. Plot Forcefields were pretty obviously immersion-breaking (why would Alex the computer nerd have a personal shield?). They still beat the hell out of the game outright telling you you can't shoot people because the designers couldn't be bothered to figure out consequences.

One of the few character-killing things DXIW did right was late in the game where you meet the real NG Resonance and can kill her, then tell the NG AI about it. For just a few minutes I felt like Alex Denton had truly inherited JC's Supreme rear end in a top hat genes.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Tell me you have a link to a video?

There used to be a video but I can't find it now. :(

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Junk posted:

Something always bugged me about the last trip to Hell's Kitchen you make in the game. When you go and talk to Stanton Dowd, some punk guy runs up behind you and aims his gun during the conversation. When the conversation is over, he opens fire. Beforehand you can find him wandering around in the alley behind the 'Ton Hotel where he just says stuff like "yo what's up." Who is that guy and what's his beef anyway?

I'm assuming he was just hired by the bad guys to follow you to Dowd and kill you both.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Why rely on the twelve thousand Unatco / MJ12 troops in the area when you can get one assassin thug.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense but I've played the full game four times now and never found out what the thug's deal is. I guess he COULD just be a mugger who picked the wrong guy to go after.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Xander77 posted:

Have another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ubWxcj2FU

The best part is when Paul says his "The GEP gun might be useful, the NSF have a security bot on patrol" when the bot is visible right behind him.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, I beat Deus Ex again.

I didn't get the famous "oh my god JC, a bomb!" scene. I think I did something wrong. :ohdear:
You have to find the dead mechanic at the helipad when you're at Everett's place. Then talk to the live "Odd Mechanic," then kill him.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Samopsa posted:

The only thing you have to do is run up to the live one and :black101: him in THE FACE with your nanosword of choice. The rest is optional.

Oh that's right. I remember in one playthrough just twatting him in the face and JC justifies it with "Something just didn't seem right about him" or something like that.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

BlackCircle posted:

Doesn't shifter also add a feature where Ford Schick(I think that was his name. the guy you rescue from the MJ12 lab under hells kitchen) ends up hanging out in Smugglers room? Its either that or you can spawn him and he thanks you with an upgrade canister and has a pretty long dialogue about augmentations.

I could also be making this whole thing up but I swear I saw it once.

Yes, there was some unused scripting and dialogue for Ford Schick that Shifter re-enabled so you will see him next time you're in Hell's Kitchen.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

Found something new to me today. I put what I thought was a laser mod but may have been a scope mod on the Rail Gun, which I think is a shifter plasma gun (?), and now I can see through walls, floors with the scope and shoot through solid objects to kill stuff a long rear end ways away. It seems commandos and bots show up but not regular infantry? Something odd is going on but I just wiped out 6 or so commandos in the cathedral from near the subway stairs, all one shot headshot kills.

Is this all shifter stuff?

The railgun is a Shifter weapon. If I remember right, it has a scope by default.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mr_Person posted:

I just started a new Realistic difficulty pacifist run with Shifter. I made it to Hell's Kitchen and took care of the situation in the 'Ton, and now the UNATCO troops out in the streets are just spontaneously falling to the ground unconscious as I walk past. :psyduck: They're also dropping weird loot, such as swords, zyme, and GEP guns. I'll try to record a video if it keeps happening because this is weird as hell.

Is it possible that you accidentally started a game on Unrealistic? (right-clicking Realistic changes it to Unrealistic)

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

AXE COP posted:

Am I the only one who always uses albino JC? The canon version just doesn't seem right any more, I can't play with him at all :smith:

I also bet that literally not one person has ever used Ginger JC.
Fellow Albino JC user checking in. I can't imagine my badass nanoaug superfreak as anything but an albino anymore.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

ArcMage posted:

I was slaughtered in the midst of blackjacking an MIB, but they're saying he's alive.

I also somehow ended up back in my cell with no body; the medibot handled that though.

I think this happened to me once too and is mentioned in the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough. The imagine of JC's severed head moving around by working his jaw is pretty hilarious.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

bartkusa posted:

Can you do anything with the Gray Death vial?

IIRC you can use it and nothing happens. Later in the game somebody (can't remember who) reveals that you and Paul have the Gray Death already but are immune to it because your genes make you tolerant to nanomachines and the Gray Death is the basis of your augmentations.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 29, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Ahaha, you can destroy the little roomba bots by stomping on them enough. It's even more fun than jumping on cats!

This part of the Sunglasses at Night walkthrough describes, among other things, how to utilize the UNATCO vacuum cleaner to send everyone in the building into blind rage.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Wait does this mean that if I left through the window when I first went to the apartment during the first visit to Hell's kitchen I might be hosed? How does Shifter play into this?
Nope, just at any point after the soldiers storm the room on your return visit. Shifter is supposed to fix this so that when Paul gets out you can use the window safely.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

AXE COP posted:

Is the e-mail from Project Mayhem in the Underworld Bar in vanilla or something that Shifter adds in?

I'm pretty certain it was in vanilla. Fight Club came out before Deus Ex did so a little reference to it wouldn't be too surprising.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

DVD Drive posted:

There's a computer in the Underworld Bar?

No, it's on the public news terminal.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Le Sean posted:

I really wish there were a 'woot' option when you hear Smuggler has gotten his poo poo pushed in by Gunther. Because gently caress him. You need Expert level Gymnastics skills to even get down to his parent's basement where he lives with some hacker-hobo, all so that he tells you information that really isn't all that informative and tries to Nigeria scam you into trading value money for scraps you could easily find on a street corner.

If there were an option to sell him out myself, I'd choose it every time, especially since his hobosexual friend is infinitely more helpful, what with the upgrade cannister + cool information combo.

I never buy anything from Smuggler either, but I always raid his safe which usually has a couple weapon mods in it every time. I just pretend it's part of my pay for helping Ford.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

OneEightHundred posted:

Wait Zyme's actually good for something? I thought all it did was make you super-drunk?

In Shifter, zyme gives you 10 or so seconds of bullet time before the drunkvision kicks in.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

John Dough posted:

When that happens I always huddle in a corner until it's over. After clearing the MJ12 barracks in the helicopter base in Hong Kong I had JC shower until the effect wore off. I like to realistically portray junkie JC for some reason.

Imagine a "Functional Alcoholic JC" mod. Start JC at the Liberty Island dock as usual, then have him gradually gain the drunk effect and the only way to get rid of it is to find more booze. Most maps have booze scattered around but I'm sure JC would often have to grab all the bottles lying around a bar and stockpile them for the next map.

JC DENTON
My liver is augmented.

CaptainWinky fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 23, 2010

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Angry Diplomat posted:

I measure success by how needlessly overcustomized one of my weapons is. I don't care if I've foresworn all ranged weapons and chosen to live by the sword, this goddamned Magnum is going to be the pimpest gun on the loving planet.

Can the DX editor tweak which mods can go on which guns? I want a silenced Gep gun.

JC DENTON
The GEP gun. Sometimes you've got to make a silent takedown.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mr. Gerbik posted:

drat, really? Can I still get into the facility somehow to grab the points?

Nope, the facility is completely sealed off after the first Hell's Kitchen visit.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Gollom posted:

Mostly sealed off. You can go down there, and get 60(I think) skillpoints for walking across the rotating bridge, but thats about it. When you come back from Hong Kong, you can do it again.

Whaaat? I remember going down one of the manholes and running into a bricked-over wall. Guess I should have tried another manhole.

This game STILL has new things for me to discover.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

CaptainStag posted:

I just learned a week ago that you can get a LAM for accessing the Mole People by slaughtering the Rooks gang EXCEPT their leader and then talking to him again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIOOIZt4Iw
It's pretty cool that there's so many small details like this, but at the same time it's too bad there wasn't a lot of consistency to it. Nothing would have told me to try this before other than experimentation because for the majority of the game NPCs will respond to rampant violence in two different ways: on-sight violence or running around panicked then straight up ignorance to the mounds of corpses around them.
Especially with the clumsy game mechanics getting in the way. The guy in the video had to stand around for about twelve seconds while his target calmed down.

JC DENTON
Some gangbanger. Maybe you should go back to school.

EL REY

JC DENTON
What a shame.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

How do you climb up boxes and ledges with biomod?

You need to rebind your jump key in the options.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Jetsetlemming posted:

JC DENTON
Spare five credits for a nanoaug agent with the Gray Death?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mathemagician posted:

edit: person I want to kill is Alex Jacobson. gently caress that smug sob
I tried shooting Alex at Everett's place. I laughed so hard when the nerd pulled out an assault shotgun and obliterated me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Christoph posted:

Do you get anything for unplugging Lucius? Does it change the story somehow?

Everett will yell at you but not do anything, and nothing changes outside that level as far as I know.