Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Help, the boat on liberty island doesn't work, what do I do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lilac1 posted:

So, is this game good good, or is this the kind of "good" reserved for the likes of fallout games and system shock,
the kind where you have to stick seven pairs of rose-colored glasses up your rear end before even attempting the first area?

You probably won't like it, you should check out Game Of The Year Final Fantasy XIII instead. Now with 75% less gameplay between cutscenes!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

Liberty Island to me was a great level, heck I didn't even knew you could get augs when playing the demo, on direct draw and windowed mode; the wharehouse infiltration was the worst area of the game

It's a great level in general, it's just a poor first level. Unless you had experience playing a multilinear FPS with RPG features before, which most people probably hadn't, it was easy to get lost wondering where you were supposed to be going and why killing everything you saw was so difficult.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah, but Deus Ex doesn't play well with Windows 7 and the graphics are dated. People who haven't played it and don't have the patience to try should check out FPS RPG Supergame Bioshock instead.

Steam can be a little tricky to navigate so here's a walkthrough to help those attempting to purchase Bioshock

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm sorry, Fallout's gameplay is really clunky in this day and age, same with System Shock's shooting. They're considered classics because of things like writing, sound design, and the ability to tackle situations with a variety of different skills and character builds, but anybody who's mind isn't completely clouded by nostalgia would recognize the flaws in their gameplay and how it has been improved since. Trying to act smug about gameplay when Fallout's combat consisted 90% of the time standing around and targeting people's eyes and groin over and over is ridiculously counter-intuitive.

The original System Shock is extremely dated, but System Shock 2 is still superior to any other FPS besides maybe Deus Ex. There hasn't been an FPS in the last ten years or probably ever that is as good as either of them.

Fallout gets pretty simple once you know the holy trinity of pick small guns, max perception, shoot for the eyes but that doesn't change the fact that it's a completely unique game and not that easy if you don't actively min/max your way through the game.

Of course, neither of these games hold your hand and guide you to every single objective with a gigantic loving arrow, while the objective flashes in bright colors just in case you still can't find it, so in that sense they are both outdated.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lilac1 posted:

Neither did Turok 2.
By your standards: Turok 2 = Great game

Also, you shoot dinosaurs with a loving cerebral drill, how unique is that?

I definitely said that the single defining feature of a good game is that it doesn't have an arrow pointing you where you want to go. Thank you for your highly accurate summation of what I posted.

OregonDonor posted:

Can SS2 run on Windows XP? I downloaded it a while back and I ran into a whole host of problems trying to get it to run.

Yeah, I haven't played it on Win 7 but I played it on XP a couple of years ago. This thread on some other forums covers all the issues most people have. For me it only took a couple of quick steps to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggs posted:

I originally installed/beat Deus Ex ten years ago on a 450mhz AMD K6-2 with 64 megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 3000. I think you'll live

I never finished it until a few years after it came out, but I did manage to play on my Pentium 133, with 80 megs of RAM and a voodoo 2 card. It took some tweaking and didn't look great, but I got it to run pretty drat smooth. People seem to forget just how slow computers were ten years ago.