Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd just like to point out that TNM won the singleplayer Mod of The Year award (over at ModDB) by a healthy margin. Glowing reviews from proper reviewers all over the place, too.

SA is the only place that seems to have violently rejected its very existance. I'll admit the concept is corny, and the first city-map is way too open, but consider that the Liberty Island of the mod. Once you're past that, it's really impressive. The level design is probably better than the original Deus Ex in a lot of places. Almost every action you can take has some kind of reaction/repercussions later on, and there's a big branch fairly early on that leads you down one of two completely different campaigns.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Liberty Island is too open, too slow, and you've not got any of the augs that define your character.

In retrospect, the best way to handle things would have been the Metroid Prime approach. You get a 'taster' set of augs and some modded weapons for your debut mission, but something happens at the end of it to bust you back down to a much weaker level. It'd give the player something to shoot for, and make the opening much more exciting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Azuren posted:

Tried playing through for the millionth time roleplaying as a Discordian named "Hale Eris".

The ultimate Deus Ex anarchist walkthrough is still Sunglasses At Night.

It taught me so many creative uses for Crates of Boom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Wait the nameless mod is out? Holy poo poo.

Yep, won singleplayer mod of the year over at ModDB, raked in a ton of hugely positive reviews, and immediately became taboo on the Something Awful forums because it contains internet humor

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, the start of TNM is pretty jarring - the developers have admitted as much, but once you're a couple hours in, and introductions are over, it really hits its stride. As Dr Snofeld mentions, it's actually pretty funny.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Having to choose a side makes a bit more sense in TNM, because it's so much more polarized. There may be some shady goings-on with PDX, but WorldCorp are full-on mustache-twirling comic supervillainy, and you'll be cheered on for acts of excessive ultraviolence, rather than chastised.

It's nice having the option to be an enormous jerk and get paid for it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Something that really bears repeating about DX:Revision is that, by default, the gameplay is almost 100% vanilla. Just some bugfixes and AI tweaks in there.

If you want it freshened up, go into the Game Options menu and either pick Shifter or Biomod. The latter adds the most new features. Combined with the new maps (especially the later ones, if the preview shots/videos are any indication), it should make for a pretty fresh experience.

Also, don't try to get smart and install the DX10 renderer, because not only does that cause bugs with Revision, but runs worse.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm increasingly questioning the veracity of those who say they can't see any gameplay difference between DX and Revision. Admittedly I'm running it in Biomod mode, but just from searching Liberty Island I'm going into my next mission rocking a massive stockpile of weapons and ammo including a modded-up sniper rifle, and a fully-loaded-and-then-some GEP Gun.

Also, for anyone having weird lighting/renderer issues, make sure you've got a CLEAN install of Deus Ex. You may need to manually scrub the directory in Steam. Revision comes with its own DX9 renderer and it doesn't play nice with the DX10 one.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Seriously? Where do you get those?

A bunch of NSF guys carry sniper rifles, and the lady drifer in the shack at the rear docks sells sniper ammo. Service bunker behind the statue has a few crates of mods in it, and there's more GEP rockets in the docks too.

I'm still exploring and haven't checked all the main locations yet, but I can see completionists coming away from this mission with an inventory practically bursting with high-end ammo, upgraded guns and explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

No special gear on the leader (just tried knocking him out now), and you get the mission reward (1000) upon talking to him. I did miss rescuing Gunther though. I guess this is Revision's own built-in version of Biomod, so some things are gonna be different.

I guess it makes sense that the game is going to throw significantly more weaponry at you. Enemy counts are significantly higher than they used to be, and better equipped too. I made the mistake of getting too close to an NSF merc with a flamethrower on Liberty Island.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2015