Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest a low-tech play-throuhg. No rifles, no pistols, no-computers, no multitools. Grenades, and melee and stealth, the whole way.

My very first playthrough of the game on the PS2 port was this, mostly because I found it hilarious that people could be knocked unconscious from a hearty slap on the rear end once your low-tech weapon skill was high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Frankly I don't see why everyone is so into a DX10 renderer for a 10 year old game. Same feeling about the UT3 cum shaders posted a while back. I tried both on a couple occasions and never worked correctly for me. I like the new OpenGL renderer though. Direct X is pretty much always backwards compatible with previous versions, by the way.

I'm into it because for me the DX10 renderer is the only way to get the game running at all. DX9 almost works but has screwy speedups and slowdowns no matter what I do to my processor speed, and anything else just crashes. As a bonus it has a built-in multiprocessor fix, proper widescreen support, working resolution selection, way more sane default settings, etc. Haven't noticed any cum shading. I think that out of the box the only thing it does that actually looks different is the lighting, which is easily switched back to classic mode.

A Violence Gang posted:

Have run the fixer tool, no effect (does it even give you a response to indicate it successfully applied its changes?), and as I said, have tried multiple rendering options. Applying compatibility mode settings to DeusEx.exe results in a "Cannot find Steam" error.

Last time I tried the fixer, it would write its changes directly to Program Files despite Windows wanting to keep the INIs in VirtualStore. It's probably faster to just fix things manually than it is to shuffle the files back and forth.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'd like to point out that MilkyTracker can read the UMX files used by Unreal Engine games. Even if you don't know anything about trackers, it can be an interesting new way to listen to Deus Ex's soundtrack.

Click here for the full 1516x1038 image.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Does Paul always tell you that you "killed a lot of people tonight" after finishing Liberty Island, regardless of kill count? I've never gotten him to say anything different. Does only the prod count as non-lethal for his dialogue or something?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just started a new Realistic difficulty pacifist run with Shifter. I made it to Hell's Kitchen and took care of the situation in the 'Ton, and now the UNATCO troops out in the streets are just spontaneously falling to the ground unconscious as I walk past. :psyduck: They're also dropping weird loot, such as swords, zyme, and GEP guns. I'll try to record a video if it keeps happening because this is weird as hell.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I fixed the audio cutting off by going into power management settings and changing the minimum processor speed to 100%. If you're using the DX10 renderer, the multi-core fix shouldn't affect things one way or the other since it takes care of that on its own.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

You could also try turning on VSync in the renderer's options. I forget how to do it though, check its website.

VSync is, in the current revision at least, enabled by default. It makes the game more or less run at the right speed, but dialogue is still all weird unless I max out the CPU. It does introduce a slight amount of mouse lag, but Deus Ex is hardly a twitch shooter.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

bartkusa posted:

Isn't it locked inside a transparent cabinet?

Lordpen posted:

No its on top of the thingie to the right of that cabinet. It's tricky to spot but its there.

It could be in either place because they moved it in the Game of the Year edition. Yes, even if you're patched up to 1.112fm, the original retail version still has the DataCube in a different spot.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Using that computer to shut down the generator is a secret? I didn't realize there was another way to do it. :confused:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SM64Guy posted:

The guy that made the dx10 renderer and fixer tool would like people to test an experimental replacement exe that fixes problems at the root http://kentie.net/article/deusexe/index.htm might solve issues for people

This executable is making all of my dreams come true. Consistently running at the proper speed with VSync disabled, no screwing around with CPU throttling required. I can also confirm that it works with Steam.

The subtitles for the infolink type out very slowly, one character at a time, and disappear before it even gets the first line out, but that doesn't really matter because it's not like we don't all have the game's dialogue memorized.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Man, I can't believe you guys actually waste lebedev. I can never bring myself to obey that cold authoratarian bitch.

This makes me wonder... does anyone know if there's any new dialogue if you kill Lebedev before Anna even shows up?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't notice it: the replacement Deus Ex executable has hit version 1 and is now completely awesome. It pretty much completely unfucks everything in one easy step and has per-user settings and saves.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

As far as I can tell, anything remotely stylized in any way = too anime to a lot of goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it isn't. I wouldn't have asked about it if it were.

If you have difficulties with Deus Ex's text at 1024x768, you really need to schedule an eye exam. I don't mean this in a smartass way, either; I'm completely serious. I have below-average vision and never gave a second thought to the text when playing at 1680x1050 with a non-scaling GUI.

I guess there's also always the possibility that you just have a broken monitor.